PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition tonight: Arizona vs College of Idaho

MDABE80
11-01-2016, 05:37 PM
Might be a good watch. channel 628 (Pac 12 network), 8 pm.

sittingon50
11-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Related Arizona news:

http://www.todaysu.com/u-news/academic-issues-induce-chance-comanche-suspension/

seacatfan
11-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Related Arizona news:

http://www.todaysu.com/u-news/academic-issues-induce-chance-comanche-suspension/

Dammit. That doesn't help with frontcourt depth.

Still waiting for news one way or the other about a possible suspension of a much more prominent Wildcat.

Wish I would've known sooner this was one. Just turned it on about halfway thru the 2nd half.

seacatfan
11-01-2016, 08:35 PM
So Trier was in street clothes apparently which might be an indicator the rumors about a suspension are true. Also I guess Ray Smith got hurt...again. So....kind of a crap sandwich of a start to the season for Arizona.

MDABE80
11-01-2016, 08:59 PM
A mugging. I do think we can beat Arizona straight up.

77Zag
11-02-2016, 07:57 AM
More bad news for Zona --
Arizona's Smith injures leg in exhibition opener

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/arizonas-smith-injures-leg-exhibition-opener

seacatfan
11-02-2016, 09:43 AM
This really sucks. Taking a lot of the optimism right out of me before the season even starts for real. Trier, Comanche and Smith all not available to play currently, and if you count former McD AA recruit Ferguson who didn't make it thru the NCAA clearinghouse...down 4 bodies who all could've been big contributors. Are you freaking kidding me?! Depth is now a MAJOR concern for UA. Damn this is not making me happy.

At least GU is only down 2 players so far. Knock on wood.

ZagOD7540
11-02-2016, 10:14 AM
GU down 2? Larsen? He was going to RS I'm sure. The other?

seacatfan
11-02-2016, 10:18 AM

Awaiting news about Perkins suspension. Shouldn't be a significant number of games but it's still up in the air at this point.

cggonzaga
11-02-2016, 10:18 AM

Perkins whenever his suspension comes down.

ZagOD7540
11-02-2016, 10:20 AM
NWG will carry the load. He's going to be great and we won't miss a beat.

ZagOD7540
11-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Still not happy with Perkins' "runner" at the end of the game against Syracuse--Especially when he had 2 wings open and Domas down low for a dump off.

zagamatic
11-02-2016, 12:18 PM
I also watched the second half of the #15 Purdue vs University of Southern Indiana today, followed by the replay of the Arizona game. Purdue may have the only guy in the country who can guard Karnowski one on one, but frankly they looked mediocre at best. Very post oriented. Granted, they were down a few guys who are expected to play this year. But watching the two games back to back, Purdue would get run out of the building playing Arizona IMO. But it's just a small sample in an exhibition game

seacatfan
11-02-2016, 12:23 PM
I also watched the second half of the #15 Purdue vs University of Southern Indiana today, followed by the replay of the Arizona game. Purdue may have the only guy in the country who can guard Karnowski one on one, but frankly they looked mediocre at best. Very post oriented. Granted, they were down a few guys who are expected to play this year. But watching the two games back to back, Purdue would get run out of the building playing Arizona IMO. But it's just a small sample in an exhibition game

Haas from Purdue? He is a large human. Swanigan isn't nearly as tall but he's pretty thick too.

Zagdawg
11-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Heard rumor of Trier being ineligible due to failing a class this summer (as long as he passes the class this semester he would be back for the 2nd semester).

Dang it Seacat -- tell your boys to get their stuff together -- this was supposed to be a decent win.

;)

gonstu
11-02-2016, 12:33 PM
didn't they have a USF transfer? Was it trasolini? is he still on team?

MontanaCoyote
11-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Still not happy with Perkins' "runner" at the end of the game against Syracuse--Especially when he had 2 wings open and Domas down low for a dump off.

Understood (and the image is stuck in my head, too,) but got to let it go. "Bill Buckner Syndrome" gets you nowhere and disproportionally emphasizes a single mistake or failure. Got to go with a balance sheet, credits and debits.

I know I'm lecturing here (apologies) and I know you're pulling for Josh. But like all good athletes, he's got to let mistakes and failures go to do his best on the court. Turn 'um positive by learning from them. Fans need to let go too.

Can't write off his recent off-court troubles. Got to learn from that, too. Betting that he already has.

seacatfan
11-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Heard rumor of Trier being ineligible due to failing a class this summer (as long as he passes the class this semester he would be back for the 2nd semester).

Dang it Seacat -- tell your boys to get their stuff together -- this was supposed to be a decent win.

;)

No, the rumor swirling around about Trier is tested positive for a PED. That could be just about anything. I don't think he's roiding or taking HGH. Could be something in a nutritional supplement or prescription drug he didn't even know was on a banned substance list. So irritating. No details at all though, it's all just speculation and nothing official. Just waiting for news.

seacatfan
11-02-2016, 12:44 PM
didn't they have a USF transfer? Was it trasolini? is he still on team?

They had Tollefsen last year as a grad transfer. One and done, he's gone. Had a few moments but had a minimal impact last year.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-02-2016, 01:01 PM

Given the situation- I'll give him a pass. Freshman in a tough pressure spot and for all we know he swishes it if not for the block.. Yes he had at least one guy wide open, but he made several nice plays down the stretch in that game and played well in his first NCAA Tournament. I honestly thought he was special for almost the entire second half- save the last 4 minutes, if that.

CDC84
11-02-2016, 01:40 PM
I also watched the second half of the #15 Purdue vs University of Southern Indiana today, followed by the replay of the Arizona game. Purdue may have the only guy in the country who can guard Karnowski one on one, but frankly they looked mediocre at best. Very post oriented.

The Boilermakers got sent him home last March for the very thing they struggled with all of last season: a lack of decent point guard play. I have no idea if Purdue has remedied that situation, but their perimeters simply couldn't handle ball pressure last season.

vandalzag
11-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Yep never forget. What was he thinking not passing to hot shooter on the right who was 1-7 or the other threat who was 1-4 that game. Instead he should have jumped stopped and forced a pass into Sabonis who was sandwiched between 2 players. I mean it was so easy looking back on it in slow motion 7 months later.

CDC84
11-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Regardless of what fans think, Few has said repeatedly that it was a good decision from Perkins....especially when you consider that he was possibly fouled on the play.

Obviously, Few is not going to throw his own player under the bus, so one has to consider that.

That being said, the real problem wasn't that play. It was the fact that the game was well in hand and it should have never even gotten to that shot. Multiple GU players buckled under pressure and blew a game that, again, was well in hand.

zagamatic
11-02-2016, 05:51 PM
The Boilermakers got sent him home last March for the very thing they struggled with all of last season: a lack of decent point guard play. I have no idea if Purdue has remedied that situation, but their perimeters simply couldn't handle ball pressure last season.

From what I saw during the part that was on today, it hasn't changed. Guard play for Purdue is suspect.
And yeah, it's Haas from Purdue that can physically match Karnowski. But fwiw, last I remember, Haas was 5-15 from the charity stripe. Makes Karnowski look reliable at the line

ZagOD7540
11-03-2016, 07:40 AM
Take another look-Sabonis has his man sealed as Perkins drives. If he would have come to a jump stop, like you say, he would have seen Sabonis. Pass would not have been forced. Also, I'd rather have the wings take an open shot rather than have my "runner" blocked and have zero chance at all

seacatfan
11-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Absolute worst case scenario. Ray Smith tore his ACL again, third time, career ending injury apparently. What terrible news for the kid. Just rotten luck. This season is feeling snake bit for the Cats.

sittingon50
11-03-2016, 02:55 PM
That REALLY sucks. Poor kid.