PDA

View Full Version : Good for Ron Baker. Played for the New York Knicks tonight

demian
10-25-2016, 08:59 PM
I know Ron Baker and his Wichita State team ripped our hearts straight out when he was a freshman at Wichita State. But that guy made an NBA opening day roster and actually played tonight for New York Knicks and even scored a couple buckets. Good for that dude. He was from a SMALL high school in Kansas, with NO STARS from the ranking system and was not recruited by ANYBODY and was a WALK ON at Wichita State. Now look at him he is playing at the highest level in the world and is one of the very very rare and lucky basketball players to make an NBA roster and play. Good story. Fred Van Vleet also made the Toronto Raptors opening day NBA roster

Zagceo
10-25-2016, 09:06 PM
I suggest posting this subject on a wichata forum......

demian
10-25-2016, 09:21 PM

I posted it here and apparently "delete" is not an option for an original post so I guess it is stuck here. but thanks so much for your suggestion. we have often had posts in the past about opposing zag players who have done well or we respected etc etc. I thought the Ron Baker story was real cool, I HATE WICHITA STATE trust me, but for a Walk on to make it in the nba was cool to see and of course we have a history with them/him so I posted it here. Yeah maybe the wrong place to post a cool story, but shoot I literally cant delete it now. at least I don't see a "delete post" option

Vanzagger
10-25-2016, 09:37 PM
That is crazy he was not on anyone's radar. He might have been a Dennis Rodman like late bloomer

cggonzaga
10-25-2016, 09:52 PM
I know Ron Baker and his Wichita State team ripped our hearts straight out when he was a freshman at Wichita State. But that guy made an NBA opening day roster and actually played tonight for New York Knicks and even scored a couple buckets. Good for that dude. He was from a SMALL high school in Kansas, with NO STARS from the ranking system and was not recruited by ANYBODY and was a WALK ON at Wichita State. Now look at him he is playing at the highest level in the world and is one of the very very rare and lucky basketball players to make an NBA roster and play. Good story. Fred Van Vleet also made the Toronto Raptors opening day NBA roster

Not totally true. He was lightly recruited but WSU promised him a scholarship the following year. They just didn't have any available his freshman year. Regardless it's still a cool story.

demian
10-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Not totally true. He was lightly recruited but WSU promised him a scholarship the following year. They just didn't have any available his freshman year. Regardless it's still a cool story.

I hear ya cggonzaga, he was probably lightly recruited by some division 1 schools like Whicita and maybe some others in the region but when it came down to crunch time those schools had probably already had there scholarships tied up like you said. I am sure Baker had scholarships to division 2 and NAIA schools but those schools rarely offer full scholarships and are often times partial scholarships. So maybe Baker rolled the dice and bet on himself to go to Whichita as a walk on and OBVIOUSLY it all worked out great for him. recruiting is not an exact science and every year is a totally unique year for certain schools in regards to recruiting. Some years they have offers available to hand out and other years there are not nearly as many offers available so while a guy may have been a walk on in one season he VERY WELL MAY HAVE BEEN a full scholarship offer guy in a normal year. etc etc

DADoZAG
10-26-2016, 02:39 AM
I was very impressed when Ron Baker and his teammates ZaggedUp and ran through to the E8, I think it was.

Not sure why some would be so against hearing about his success.

Thanx for posting, demian!

Go ZAGS!

kitzbuel
10-26-2016, 05:22 AM
That dude seemed like he played at Wichita St forever.

bartruff1
10-26-2016, 06:02 AM
+1

I was very impressed when Ron Baker and his teammates ZaggedUp and ran through to the E8, I think it was.

Not sure why some would be so against hearing about his success.

Thanx for posting, demian!

Go ZAGS!

B Wayne
10-26-2016, 07:45 AM
This just supports what I've been saying for years. The WSU team that beat us in NCAAs was far more talented than board posters here ever game them credit for. These fans just said Wichita State was lucky to beat us rather than giving them credit for being extremely talented. Now time has revealed, how many of these "lucky players" were NBA players? How many Zags from that game were?

LongIslandZagFan
10-26-2016, 07:58 AM

Honestly, a bit rude.

MDABE80
10-26-2016, 10:17 PM
True American success story. Sounds like he's done well desire starting from behind. Good player and seems like a superior kid.

LongIslandZagFan
11-09-2016, 06:04 AM
Baker got sent down to D-League affiliate.