PDA

View Full Version : Which schools put the most players on NBA opening day rosters?

Zagdawg
10-24-2016, 08:43 PM
"Colleges that produced the most NBA players on opening day rosters: Kentucky (23), Duke (20), Kansas (15), North Carolina (15), UCLA (13), Arizona (12), Syracuse (11), Florida (10), LSU (8), Michigan State (8), Texas (8), Washington (8)"

"Programs that have won the most without producing many NBA players: Louisville (4), Gonzaga (3), Baylor (2), Oregon (2), Oklahoma (2), Xavier (2), Butler (2), Cincinnati (2), Purdue (2), San Diego State (1), Pittsburgh (1), West Virginia (0), Iowa (0)"

"Programs that have won the least despite producing many NBA players: LSU (8), Washington (8), Texas (8), UNLV (6), Georgia Tech (5)"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/which-schools-put-the-most-players-on-nba-opening-day-rosters-011428561.html

jazzdelmar
10-25-2016, 04:50 AM
Fascinating autopsies of CBB prog and coaches....Wonder if ADs will be reading this....Shaka will get Texas up, but wow....

Mr Vulture
10-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Gonzaga is trending the right way though with three guys in the last three drafts making the NBA and two were lottery picks. We also had several guys that played in the league. Off the top of my head we've had Frahm, Dickau, Turiaf, Morrison, Sacre, Pargo, and even Stockton get several years or at least some run.

seacatfan
10-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Gonzaga is trending the right way though with three guys in the last three drafts making the NBA and two were lottery picks. We also had several guys that played in the league. Off the top of my head we've had Frahm, Dickau, Turiaf, Morrison, Sacre, Pargo, and even Stockton get several years or at least some run.

Daye

thespywhozaggedme
10-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Should be Few's major recruiting talking point when trying to land Seattle kids:

"Programs that have won the least despite producing many NBA players: LSU (8), Washington (8), Texas (8), UNLV (6), Georgia Tech (5)"

seacatfan
10-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Should be Few's major recruiting talking point when trying to land Seattle kids:

I understand your point...but in some kids' minds it's all about GETTING to the NBA, not so much what happens in college. Since UW has produced more NBA players than GU, your sales pitch could backfire.

thespywhozaggedme
10-25-2016, 05:47 PM
I understand your point...but in some kids' minds it's all about GETTING to the NBA, not so much what happens in college. Since UW has produced more NBA players than GU, your sales pitch could backfire.

Yeah, but he can say, you may get to the NBA, but you won't ever win anything at UDubb. If you come to Gonzaga, virtually every game will be on tv, plus you'll play deep into March Madness and you'll still get to the NBA.

seacatfan
10-25-2016, 05:57 PM
and you'll still get to the NBA.

maybe 2 to 3 years later in some cases

Honest question. Do you think Bobby Jones or Justin Holiday ever would've sniffed the NBA if they went to GU? I kinda doubt it. GU has had much more talented wing players that didn't ever end up in the League. I don't know what it is about Romar, I know most people on this board don't like him and don't think he can coach his way out of a paper bag, but he gets kids to the next level. Quite a few of which were the furthest thing from sure bet blue chippers.

Hoopaholic
10-25-2016, 06:26 PM
be interesting to see length in league assessment on these stats

DixieZag
10-25-2016, 06:55 PM
It might be interesting to see the percentage, or total number, of players that never played a game of college basketball. I am referring less to the Lebron James's, and thinking more of the players that came directly from Europe. The NBA is so international now, I would suspect it is a large number.

maynard g krebs
10-26-2016, 09:18 AM

Exactly. Romar's style doesn't win consistently, but it allows players to showcase their "NBA skills", i.e. one on one scoring and open court athleticism. A lot of kids don't want to subjugate, if that's the right word, their individual games to a team system. No way Murray is a one and done millionaire if he goes to GU; he'd have gotten 15-20 minutes a game off the bench and averaged 7 points as a fr.