PDA

View Full Version : Wiltjer makes the Rockets final 15 Roster

Kong-Kool-Aid
10-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Move to Old Dogs when you think it's neccesary, but for people who don't really look there it appears Kyle made it!

Congrats!

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2016/10/24/13389140/houston-rockets-roster-taking-shape-with-final-cuts

So there you have it. The Final 15 (for now) for the Rockets consists of James Harden, Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Trevor Ariza, Corey Brewer, Patrick Beverley, K.J. McDaniels, Nene Hilario, Sam Dekker, Clint Capela, Pablo Prigioni, Montrezl Harrell, Chinanu Onuaku, Kyle Wiltjer and Bobby Brown.

Wiltjer and Brown could be considered mild surprises, but the Rockets obviously like Wiltjer’s shooting prowess and at least for the time being, prefer Brown over Ennis. Enough so that the team takes a $1.7 million hit on the Ennis cut.

Zagdawg
10-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Sabonis also made the Thunder roster.

http://www.nba.com/thunder/roster

Good to see both of them made the league!

Would call a couple of fans out about doubting if Kyle would have the "work ethic" to make it -- but most of us knew he would-- primarily based on his skill shooting the rock and not so much on his defensive prowess. ;)

Congrats to Kyle and Domas!

ZagNative
10-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Fabulous news! Good job, Wiltj!

Zaga
10-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Congratulations Kyle...and thank you for coming to Gonzaga!

gonstu
10-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Wow! This is great news for Kyle and the zags!

MDABE80
10-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Great for the school, the program, us fans and, of course, the kids and their families. Well done guys! Talk about dumb luck! If Karno had been healthy, Domas probably wouldn't have been noticed as much as he was come draft time. No matter...., congrats to him and his family!! Go Zags!!

Zag_Dad
10-24-2016, 02:23 PM
That is fantastic news for Kyle! So pleased that things worked out for him and that his process and hard work paid off for him.

zag buddy
10-24-2016, 02:38 PM
I wish I had the time to go back and pull every boldly negative post on why Kyle wouldn't make it. I would ask those of you who posted that way to " man up" and post again and give Kyle the props he deserves for making it into the NBA. Way to go Kyle!!! I've seen a lot of guys with more God given talent but when your stomach aches and you legs are weak to keep going and going and then go some more -- just admirable. You did it with hard work and determination. From not drafted to on an NBA rooster, how cool is that. Does anyone know if his salary increases?

ZagMan in Philly
10-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Very cool, and congrats to both Kyle and Domantas. I will definitely watching more NBA now.

Mojo13
10-24-2016, 02:49 PM
I wish I had the time to go back and pull every boldly negative post on why Kyle wouldn't make it. I would ask those of you who posted that way to post again and give Kyle the props he deserves for making it into the NBA. Way to go Kyle. I've seen a lot of guys with more God given talent but you did it with hard work and determination. Does anyone know if his salary increases?

Right place, right time for Kyle. He is lucky he didn't get drafted as I am not sure any other team would value him as much as this D'Antoni Rockets team. He played really well offensively in the preseason - and proved he can be an elite shooter in the NBA. This Rockets teams has put an utmost premium on offensive skills this season. Enjoy the ride - we are going to see an epic season from the Beard. Heck they kept Bobby Brown as well!
Not out of the woods yet as if D-Mo resolves his contract with the Rockets that could mean Kyle's demotion to the D. So far that is not close to happening.

and yes...his salary does go up. Rookie minimum salary for 2016 is $543,471 which is what KW will receive if he stays in the NBA the whole year (or some time earlier because I think after so many games a contract gets guaranteed for the year). He originally signed a 2 year $275K guaranteed deal meaning if he didnt make the team he got $275K (but maybe across two years). Now he gets league minimum - or if he gets demoted to the D-league will get something less. (not sure if I made complete sense).

And for the sanctimonious, told ya so crowd... please humble yourself. Everyone with a brain knew KW's game is one dimensional and severely limited, but he had NBA transferable skills. It was far from given he was going to make the NBA, and may not have if he was in the camps of 28 other teams. KW played well in preseason, showed his shooting and offensive BBall IQ translates to the NBA and won his spot on the roster. His agent identified and picked the right team and coach no doubt (very smart move there) and things sort of lucked his way with D-Mo holding out and Michael Beasley getting traded (who knows - Kyles strong play could have spurred that trade). Glad he made it and I hope he sticks.

btzag
10-24-2016, 03:15 PM
So awesome to see another zag get a chance!

zag buddy
10-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks so much for the Info Mojo13. It made sense and was helpful. I wasn't being sanctimonious. I was just highly pleased with the way things worked for Kyle. We all knew it could possibly happen and I did get tired of the authoritative posts on why it wouldn't. Thanks for your knowledge.

zagzilla
10-24-2016, 04:24 PM
Now there are 3 Zags in the Association-Kyle, Domas and Kelly. Sacre could be 4th if he can hook on somewhere since the Pelicans released him.

Have there been other times the were 3 Zags in the NBA at once? Adam, Ronny and Pargo might have done it.

ZZ

Birddog
10-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Now there are 3 Zags in the Association-Kyle, Domas and Kelly. Sacre could be 4th if he can hook on somewhere since the Pelicans released him.

Have there been other times the were 3 Zags in the NBA at once? Adam, Ronny and Pargo might have done it.

ZZ

Adam Ronny, and Austin, I think.

Zags11
10-24-2016, 04:39 PM
That's good for him and gonzaga. Now we need final 4 on the resume.

NumberCruncher
10-24-2016, 04:41 PM

ZZ

Turiaf, Dickau and Frahm all played in 05/06, 06/07 and 07/08. Add Morrison in 06/07 to make 4 Zags.

Reborn
10-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Congrats to Kyle Wiltjer. Way to go. I knew you could do it. I have had total confidence in this to happen. Kyle is AWESOME, AND certainly gave Gonzaga U some memorable times. Thanks for all of it, Kyle and good luck in the NBA.

ZagNative
10-24-2016, 05:21 PM
From Twitter:

Kyle Wiltjer ‏@kwiltj

Kyle Wiltjer Retweeted John Calipari

Thanks coach #LaFamilia

John Calipari @UKCoachCalipari
And let me congratulate @kwiltj on making the Houston Rockets. Proud of you kid for how far you’ve come!

zagbeliever
10-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Congratulations to Kyle!!! Great player, great person. So nice in person.

GonzaGAW
10-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Very cool, and congrats to both Kyle and Domantas. I will definitely watching more NBA now.

I'm so not into nba basketball, but I gotta agree, with kyle, domantas and Kelly in the league, I will be watching the box scores at a minimum.
contrats to kyle and domantas!

sittingon50
10-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Congrats Kyle!

TexasZagFan
10-25-2016, 05:08 AM
I'm so not into nba basketball, but I gotta agree, with kyle, domantas and Kelly in the league, I will be watching the box scores at a minimum.
contrats to kyle and domantas!

Except for Dirk, the Mavericks are dead to me. I will definitely be watching the teams with Zags, maybe attending a few games when they're in Dallas.

I really don't follow the NBA until the Zags' season is over.

TexasZagFan
10-25-2016, 05:16 AM
Right place, right time for Kyle. He is lucky he didn't get drafted as I am not sure any other team would value him as much as this D'Antoni Rockets team. He played really well offensively in the preseason - and proved he can be an elite shooter in the NBA. This Rockets teams has put an utmost premium on offensive skills this season. Enjoy the ride - we are going to see an epic season from the Beard. Heck they kept Bobby Brown as well!
Not out of the woods yet as if D-Mo resolves his contract with the Rockets that could mean Kyle's demotion to the D. So far that is not close to happening.

and yes...his salary does go up. Rookie minimum salary for 2016 is $543,471 which is what KW will receive if he stays in the NBA the whole year (or some time earlier because I think after so many games a contract gets guaranteed for the year). He originally signed a 2 year $275K guaranteed deal meaning if he didnt make the team he got $275K (but maybe across two years). Now he gets league minimum - or if he gets demoted to the D-league will get something less. (not sure if I made complete sense).

And for the sanctimonious, told ya so crowd... please humble yourself. Everyone with a brain knew KW's game is one dimensional and severely limited, but he had NBA transferable skills. It was far from given he was going to make the NBA, and may not have if he was in the camps of 28 other teams. KW played well in preseason, showed his shooting and offensive BBall IQ translates to the NBA and won his spot on the roster. His agent identified and picked the right team and coach no doubt (very smart move there) and things sort of lucked his way with D-Mo holding out and Michael Beasley getting traded (who knows - Kyles strong play could have spurred that trade). Glad he made it and I hope he sticks.

Yup, right place, right time, as opposed to Charlotte drafting Morrison. Ammo was never going to be a good fit on a team that ran the triangle and one. He needed to be with a team like Phoenix when D'antoni was coaching there. Adam's strength was moving without the ball.

I saw his only game in Dallas during his rookie year. His minutes during the first half were spent stationary at the wing. However, in the second half, there was an 8-10 minute period where Charlotte abandoned the triangle. Those minutes were vintage Ammo, always moving without the ball, creating his shot, etc. I think he scored about 10 points during that span.

That's the thing about the NBA, you need to be in the right system that best suits your skills. Kyle never would have made it in Dallas, Rick Carlisle does not play or develop young players. In D'antoni's system, the sky is the limit for Kyle...if Harden ever passes the ball to him.

MileHigh
10-25-2016, 05:30 AM
I wish I had the time to go back and pull every boldly negative post on why Kyle wouldn't make it. I would ask those of you who posted that way to " man up" and post again and give Kyle the props he deserves for making it into the NBA. Way to go Kyle!!! I've seen a lot of guys with more God given talent but when your stomach aches and you legs are weak to keep going and going and then go some more -- just admirable. You did it with hard work and determination. From not drafted to on an NBA rooster, how cool is that. Does anyone know if his salary increases?

I admit I didn't think he would make it. I thought his defensive liabilities would out weigh his shooting prowess. I was wrong. Well done Kyle

Salary doesnt change, he signed for the league minimum 585K, but now if he can remain on roster until Jan 5, on that date the entire year becomes guaranteed.

His next hurdle will be making the active roster. Only 13 players suit up for games with the other two being "Inactive" usually, injuries will kind of dictate who is active or inactive, but when everyone is healthy there will be a couple of healthy players on the end of the bench in street clothes

Birddog
10-25-2016, 07:02 AM
His next hurdle will be making the active roster. Only 13 players suit up for games with the other two being "Inactive" usually, injuries will kind of dictate who is active or inactive, but when everyone is healthy there will be a couple of healthy players on the end of the bench in street clothes

If Kyle is one of the " inactive" players expect to see him get shuttled back and forth to the Vipers. Most of the NBA teams do this to help keep the rust off their developing players.

Reborn
10-25-2016, 08:26 AM
From Twitter:

Really like the twitter from Calipari. Shows how great the Zag program is. He most likely would not have made it to the NBA at Kentucky. This could help us in future recruiting. There are a lot of great players out there who are getting limited playing time with some of those elite programs.

titopoet
10-25-2016, 08:40 AM

ZZ

Not long ago it was 4: Olynyk, Sacre, Austin and David Stockton.

ZagNut08
10-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Rockets vs Lakers on ESPN Wednesday at 7:30

kitzbuel
10-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Not long ago it was 4: Olynyk, Sacre, Austin and David Stockton.

2012-13 saw Turiaf, Daye, Pargo and Sacre all on NBA rosters.

MJGoGaels
10-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Always good to have someone from the WCC make it. Congratulations

krii
10-26-2016, 01:04 AM
2012-13 saw Turiaf, Daye, Pargo and Sacre all on NBA rosters.

Olynyk, Sabonis and Wiltjer should stay there for some time though. Next year we should have another NBA player drafted plus, hopefully, Karnowski ;-)

Zagceo
10-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Congrats Kyle

Just looking at the Rocket roster……Kyle is 3 years younger than James Harden and makes $26 million less…….a year! crazy money

Zagger
10-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Go Kyle!

seacatfan
10-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Congrats Kyle

Just looking at the Rocket roster……Kyle is 3 years younger than James Harden and makes $26 million less…….a year! crazy money

Seriously? Hasn't Harden been in the league for like 6+ years? He only played at ASU for 2 years and Wiltjer was around for 5 years due to the transfer/RS, but still hard to believe they are that close in age.

googled it--7 years in the League, entering his 8th