PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma Alum meeting with Coach Daniels

tyra
10-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Great meeting tonight. Coach Daniels is stand up comic funny!

Here are some interesting things I learned:
1) Coach and Jordan Matthews' father were once roommates and are great friends.
2) Jacob L is mentally dealing with his season-ending injury very well. Very upbeat.
3) Shem is back up to 310 and is a beast who schools the extraordinarily talented Zach Collins. He needs to lose a little weight but so much better than when he was down to 240 (which Coach Daniels thought was about his birth weight). He went on and on about how good Shem is.
4) Hachimura -- "the best!" (Although I think he just meant this figuratively). Ruiz is very gifted athletically but language is still a material challenge.
5) NWG -- competitive beyond what he has seen.
6) And (biggest surprise) he "seemed" to indicate that Zach N might RS. They have 17 players on roster now and he did say that if a freshman was not going to get PT, they would hope that RSing would be a mutually positive option.

Goshzagit
10-13-2016, 08:59 PM

2) Jacob L is mentally dealing with his season-ending injury very well. Very upbeat.
3) Shem is back up to 310 and is a beast who schools the extraordinarily talented Zach Collins. He needs to lose a little weight but so much better than when he was down to 240 (which Coach Daniels thought was about his birth weight). He went on and on about how good Shem is.
4) Hachimura -- "the best!" (Although I think he just meant this figuratively). Ruiz is very gifted athletically but language is still a material challenge.
6) And (biggest surprise) he "seemed" to indicate that Zach N might RS. They have 17 players on roster now and he did say that if a freshman was not going to get PT, they would hope that RSing would be a mutually positive option.

Thanks Tyra! Terrific stuff. Heard Daniels has a laid back dry wit that is 2nd to none. His raw charm is palpable.

Very interesting about Norvell.

Makes sense right now given his lack of practice time as a frosh is tough. He's incredibly gifted and could be a weopon this season. Best of luck to him, not an easy decision.

Any mention of Tillie?

Zagdawg
10-13-2016, 09:05 PM
Thank you for sharing!

tyra
10-13-2016, 09:09 PM
He said Tillie was going to be good and that he is recovering from a knee injury but practicing. I didn't get the impression Tillie would RS.

ZagNative
10-13-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks for sharing, Tyra. That was fun!

GoZags
10-14-2016, 04:12 AM

Tyra. Da. Man.

TexasZagFan
10-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Interesting news about ZN's potential RS. It makes sense, as there is a logjam at guard, which will clear up after the season's over.

raise the zag
10-14-2016, 07:11 AM
red-shirts are always decided by players, not coaches.

the staff can influence/guide/suggest/recommend, but player ultimately decides.

Norvell, from numerous interviews, stated his goal was to play early & often. providing immediate impact.

given knee injury, this may not be an option for him this season.

I expect him to choose what is best for him, the team, and the future.

they could always pull it at moment's notice in event of injury -- and our current personnel all have lengthy injury-prone pasts (save Silas).

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-14-2016, 07:41 AM
red-shirts are always decided by players, not coaches.

the staff can influence/guide/suggest/recommend, but player ultimately decides.

Norvell, from numerous interviews, stated his goal was to play early & often. providing immediate impact.

given knee injury, this may not be an option for him this season.

I expect him to choose what is best for him, the team, and the future.

they could always pull it at moment's notice in event of injury -- and our current personnel all have lengthy injury-prone pasts (save Silas).

Agree 100%, which is why I'm curious to know exactly what Coach Daniels said if he did indeed "seem to indicate ZN might redshirt" and, more importantly, why he would say anything about it at all in a public forum if in fact ZN has not yet made any decision about red shirting.

Anyone else in attendance who could share info a little less vague than "seemed to indicate he might..." ?

Virginia Zags Fan
10-14-2016, 11:43 AM
I can only say what Tommy said the other night. He said ZN looked like a rotation guy this summer. The knee injury definitely set him back. However, Tommy said that he's regaining his summer form. He did not say one way or another. Just that he is another really fun guy from Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zag365
10-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Having gone to a number of tip off events, and tried to summarize, has taught me to be careful with word choice when posting here. Some on the Board will quickly re-characterize a nuanced or vague comment as a factual certainty, e.g., Coach Daniels said that ZN should redshirt. Things like that create controversy where there is none and suggest specificity where none was intended. It is hard to take informal comments and translate them out of context. We shouldn't speculate or feel obligated to provide interpretations of general comments.