PDA

View Full Version : Reminder--Tomorrow (Wednesday) 4th Annual Gonzaga Season Tip-off with Coach Lloyd

Zagdawg
10-11-2016, 11:36 AM
4th Annual Gonzaga Season Tip-off with Coach Tommy Lloyd

Spend an evening at the Spokane Club with Gonzaga Men's Basketball Assistant Coach, Tommy Lloyd, as he talks about this year's team and the 2016-17 season outlook. Don't miss the great commentary from the voice of the Zags, Tom Hudson, and Matt Santangelo, Executive Director of Hoopfest and former Gonzaga All-Star player! Enjoy hosted drinks, appetizers, prizes and pictures with Spike!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016
Hosted Drinks and Appetizer Buffet: 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Presentation: 6:30-7:30 p.m.

Spokane Club
Georgian Room
1002 W. Riverside
Spokane, WA 99201
map

Cost: $50 per person
Includes hosted drinks, a heavy appetizer spread, prize giveaways
and keynote remarks by Coach Tommy Lloyd
Table sponsorship packages available:
• Includes custom name sign on your table and program mention
• Close proximity to the keynote remarks and programming
• Includes hosted drinks, a heavy appetizer spread, prize giveaways
and keynote remarks by Coach Tommy Lloyd

Net proceeds from this event will support the Endowed Spokane Regional Scholarship.

http://www.zagsonline.org/s/829/index.aspx?sid=829&gid=1&pgid=4562&cid=8605&ecid=8605&crid=0&calpgid=254&calcid=5208

Virginia Zags Fan
10-13-2016, 06:55 AM
Great job by the Spokane Alumni chapter to put this on. Proceeds to a worthy cause as well as the fun evening. Coach Lloyd is a class act. Very positive guy who loves GU and Spokane.

From his remarks: His "Zag Moment" was last year's team rallying to the sweet 16.

S. Melson may be the most improved player over the summer. He worked out with David Stockton and Derek Ravio a ton this summer. BTW he said David just keeps getting better and better.

Rui H. Is an elite talent. It is just going to take him a bit.

Zach Norvell is just getting back to where he was this summer before he hurt his knee.

He said he loves having two point guards on the floor at the same time. Look for Perkins and NWG to play at the same time.

Really excited about all the new guys and transfers.

He said Shem is back. He will be the winningest Zag ever if they have a good year. They have challenged him to take ownership as the leader of the big men and their development. He is stepping up. Cool.

They are planning to expand the event next year. I recommend it. So cool to hear the coaches perspective on things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-13-2016, 07:39 AM
Great job by the Spokane Alumni chapter to put this on. Proceeds to a worthy cause as well as the fun evening. Coach Lloyd is a class act. Very positive guy who loves GU and Spokane.

From his remarks: His "Zag Moment" was last year's team rallying to the sweet 16.

S. Melson may be the most improved player over the summer. He worked out with David Stockton and Derek Ravio a ton this summer. BTW he said David just keeps getting better and better.

Rui H. Is an elite talent. It is just going to take him a bit.

Zach Norvell is just getting back to where he was this summer before he hurt his knee.

He said he loves having two point guards on the floor at the same time. Look for Perkins and NWG to play at the same time.

Really excited about all the new guys and transfers.

He said Shem is back. He will be the winningest Zag ever if they have a good year. They have challenged him to take ownership as the leader of the big men and their development. He is stepping up. Cool.

They are planning to expand the event next year. I recommend it. So cool to hear the coaches perspective on things.

Pretty excited to hear this news about Silas from Coach Lloyd. Working out with pure PG's this summer...smart move for Melson. If he improves his dribbling and facilitating/passing skills, maybe he earns minutes running the point for stretches while NWG and JP rest. PG would also be Silas' best position for professional career, but he has to show a lot of improvement in decision making, passing and ball handling to get there. Turn himself into Russell Westbrook Lite!?:-)

Zagdawg
10-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Thank you for sharing -- great news about Melsons improvements. I would love to see him slow (lockdown?!) Fultz.

Goshzagit
10-13-2016, 10:11 AM
great stuff. thank you for sharing some commentary/insights.

encouraging to hear about Silas; however, his improvements or what he needs to work on isn't really attribute/talent related. He has more than enough ability, good enough shot, ball handle, athleticism, defense, etc.

Its more *awareness* related. How to play within the flow of the game and/or offense.

I keep hearing many posters speak to his big games last season. Of course he had productive games on the stat sheet, esp with more PT, because he's an elite specimen with elite skills. They will translate in most instances, yet also backfire due to his lack of IQ/understanding/awareness on the court.

Point is, I hope David and Derek focused on getting others involved, when to pass vs shoot, and when to take your shot without over thinking it.

I believe they have done that -- most guards need to work on their game, Silas needs to work on THE game.

If that makes sense?

I will take Coach Lloyd's word for it. He has the ability to start on this team, yet can he play with the team.

HUGE difference.

Its not about Silas proving himself but rather playing within himself…ok…enough cliches but you get the idea.

He will play if he begins to pass the ball, shoot within our offense, and stay alert/aware on the court.

RenoZag
10-13-2016, 11:07 AM

Appreciate the report. College hoops can't get here soon enough. . .

Virginia Zags Fan
10-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Agree. One other item I wanted to mention was how they are planning on dealing with playing time. He said performance will be rewarded with more time. He acknowledged there are more skilled players than time. He also said guys like NWG, JWIII, and Jordan Mathews may not score to their previous averages. Even though they may be improved players. The Zags just have a bunch of players and they hopefully will not have to rely on one or two people to score big points this year. I thought this was interesting and made sense.

Zagger
10-15-2016, 01:20 AM
Agree. One other item I wanted to mention was how they are planning on dealing with playing time. He said performance will be rewarded with more time. He acknowledged there are more skilled players than time. He also said guys like NWG, JWIII, and Jordan Mathews may not score to their previous averages. Even though they may be improved players. The Zags just have a bunch of players and they hopefully will not have to rely on one or two people to score big points this year. I thought this was interesting and made sense.

The depth of these Zags will make them VERY formidable opponents. I can't wait to see how this deep team does against UCLA & Arizona.

realtydog
10-15-2016, 06:34 AM
The depth of these Zags will make them VERY formidable opponents. I can't wait to see how this deep team does against UCLA & Arizona.

When do we playUCLA?

Zagger
10-15-2016, 01:39 PM
When do we playUCLA?

Ooops! Guess we don't ......:eek:

CDC84
10-15-2016, 02:33 PM
However, both Alford and Few have indicated a desire to resume the series in the near future. As a Zag fan, I would love to see UCLA and Arizona be annual opponents on the schedule. We know it's likely to happen with Arizona. I love how Sean Miller has indicated that he wants the Zags and Cats to be an annual game. It looks like both teams are headed for a 4 year home and home series after this year. It makes great sense for both programs. They might stage a game at times in Los Angeles or a take a year off here and there to schedule other opponents. As for Alford and UCLA, I think that he realizes that the Zags and the NCAA tournament are a slam dunk. It's a win win for both teams to schedule one another. There isn't a ton of travel involved, but teams split the recent series, etc. I just wish GU could play one of these teams during conference play, but it just seems unlikely to occur.

NotoriousZ
10-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Arizona and most of the other Pac12 schools would would make an ideal Battle in Seattle opponent. I would rather get that game squared away than have another home game.

cggonzaga
10-15-2016, 08:30 PM
great stuff. thank you for sharing some commentary/insights.

encouraging to hear about Silas; however, his improvements or what he needs to work on isn't really attribute/talent related. He has more than enough ability, good enough shot, ball handle, athleticism, defense, etc.

Its more *awareness* related. How to play within the flow of the game and/or offense.

I keep hearing many posters speak to his big games last season. Of course he had productive games on the stat sheet, esp with more PT, because he's an elite specimen with elite skills. They will translate in most instances, yet also backfire due to his lack of IQ/understanding/awareness on the court.

Point is, I hope David and Derek focused on getting others involved, when to pass vs shoot, and when to take your shot without over thinking it.

I believe they have done that -- most guards need to work on their game, Silas needs to work on THE game.

If that makes sense?

I will take Coach Lloyd's word for it. He has the ability to start on this team, yet can he play with the team.

HUGE difference.

Its not about Silas proving himself but rather playing within himself…ok…enough cliches but you get the idea.

He will play if he begins to pass the ball, shoot within our offense, and stay alert/aware on the court.

Sorry Gosh but I just disagree with the general premise of this. I realize some posters on this board believe Silas doesn't always make the "right" play or show "awareness" but I just don't see it. Not only that, I can't recall any of the coaches ever calling him out for this. This coaching staff will not play a player with elite skills if said player doesn't make the correct plays. Clearly the minutes Silas played last year shows the staff believes he's making the correct plays. Can his awareness improve? Sure, but so can most players. Really all I want to see out of him is to become a more consistent shooter and to keep taking the ball to the hoop when it presents itself. Silas will be a very big contributor this year despite all the incoming talent.

Goshzagit
10-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Sorry Gosh but I just disagree with the general premise of this. I realize some posters on this board believe Silas doesn't always make the "right" play or show "awareness" but I just don't see it. Not only that, I can't recall any of the coaches ever calling him out for this. This coaching staff will not play a player with elite skills if said player doesn't make the correct plays. Clearly the minutes Silas played last year shows the staff believes he's making the correct plays. Can his awareness improve? Sure, but so can most players. Really all I want to see out of him is to become a more consistent shooter and to keep taking the ball to the hoop when it presents itself. Silas will be a very big contributor this year despite all the incoming talent.

Good post. Agreed.

I have high hopes for Silas, thus higher standards than most...

I want him to be his best because I feel he has more natural ability to work with & develop.

Excited for him to up his game. This team needs it, because he has not been consistent enough to be a major player for us.