10-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Link doesn't go anywhere.

Neither does dickie v.

Once and Future Zag
10-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Try http://www.espn.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/17762491

seacatfan
10-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Dickie has Tyler Dorsey and Dillon Brooks in the wrong order from the Ducks, and Trier from Arizona is every bit as good as Dorsey but didn't land on any of the 5 teams? I'm sure there's plenty else wrong with his list.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Every year I work on my solid gold, All-Rolls Royce teams.

Huh? I'm pretty sure he scribbles these lists on a dirty Denny's menu while he's waiting for his Grand Slam Breakfast.

willandi
10-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Sep 27, 2016
Dick Vitale
College Basketball analyst
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
print
comment
The college basketball season is right around the corner.

Every year I work on my solid gold, All-Rolls Royce teams. These are the creme de la creme heading into the season. I never include diaper dandies on these teams; let them play a game on the college hardwood first before getting more love, baby!

So here they are, my five preseason teams. The key is to make the postseason lineup and have a big season!

FIRST TEAM
G-Grayson Allen, Duke Blue Devils
G-Melo Trimble, Maryland Terrapins
F-Ivan Rabb, California Golden Bears
F-Kris Jenkins, Villanova Wildcats
F-Nigel Hayes, Wisconsin Badgers

SECOND TEAM
G-London Perrantes, Virginia Cavaliers
G-Josh Hart, Villanova Wildcats
F-Jaron Blossomgame, Clemson Tigers
F-Trevon Bluiett, Xavier Musketeers
C-Thomas Bryant, Indiana Hoosiers

THIRD TEAM
G-Tyler Dorsey, Oregon Ducks
G-Monte Morris, Iowa State Cyclones
F-Dwayne Bacon, Florida State Seminoles
F-Peter Jok, Iowa Hawkeyes
F-Dedric Lawson, Memphis Tigers

FOURTH TEAM
G-Bryce Alford, UCLA Bruins
G-Frank Mason III, Kansas Jayhawks
G-James Blackmon Jr., Indiana Hoosiers
F-Caleb Swanigan, Purdue Boilermakers
F-Ethan Happ, Wisconsin Badgers

FIFTH TEAM
G-Isaiah Briscoe, Kentucky Wildcats
G-Antonio Blakeney, LSU Tigers
G-Devonte' Graham, Kansas Jayhawks
F-G Justin Jackson, North Carolina Tar Heels
F-Dillon Brooks, Oregon Ducks

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Try http://www.espn.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/17762491

Thanks for correcting the link. My posting from iPhone skills are poor

DZ
10-10-2016, 06:58 PM
I am not sure how realistic it would be to expect that Karno, coming off such a serious injury, and being an up and down player in the past (certainly a good player, but still), not sure it's outrageous to be left off that list.

But, NWG - totally different story having already been named to several teams, 2nd team and such. That would seem to be quite the slight.

MDABE80
10-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Not many kids from the west of the Rockies schools.'A lot of bias. We have to earn it on the court as we always do. Truthfully only Nigel could be promoted to this level. Not even Karno. Being gone for a year hurts. So really this is nothing new for us. We win games as a team and we rise.

Zagdawg
10-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Let's stay under the radar and sneek up on some folks.

TheGonzagaFactor
10-11-2016, 06:26 AM
I am not sure how realistic it would be to expect that Karno, coming off such a serious injury, and being an up and down player in the past (certainly a good player, but still), not sure it's outrageous to be left off that list.

But, NWG - totally different story having already been named to several teams, 2nd team and such. That would seem to be quite the slight.

Karno has also had pretty slow starts to his seasons (something I hope people don't forget as he settles back in to playing this season) making an AA-level body of work unlikely.

GoZags
10-11-2016, 06:31 AM
Let's stay under the radar and sneek up on some folks.

Agree with this sentiment.

That being said .... hopefully NWG will be here two years to achieve his goal .... which is to be GU's (and Mark Few's) 3rd member of the Bill Walton "Double/Double" club. 1st Team (Top 5) AP All American and First Team (Top 5) Academic All American. Dickau and Olynyk did it (and Walton did it three times).

One other note .... how about Vitale's omission of a pre-season 1st team All American selection from the other side of the Cascades ... who didn't even sniff Dickie V's 5th team. http://www.gohuskies.com/news/2016/9/9/mens-basketball-fultz-named-preseason-first-team-all-american-by-athlon.aspx

LongIslandZagFan
10-11-2016, 06:42 AM
Agree with this sentiment.

That being said .... hopefully NWG will be here two years to achieve his goal .... which is to be GU's (and Mark Few's) 3rd member of the Bill Walton "Double/Double" club. 1st Team (Top 5) AP All American and First Team (Top 5) Academic All American. Dickau and Olynyk did it (and Walton did it three times).

One other note .... how about Vitale's omission of a pre-season 1st team All American selection from the other side of the Cascades ... who didn't even sniff Dickie V's 5th team. http://www.gohuskies.com/news/2016/9/9/mens-basketball-fultz-named-preseason-first-team-all-american-by-athlon.aspx

Per his article, he did leave freshman off.

GoZags
10-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Per his article, he did leave freshman off.

Aaaah .... the old "no diaper dandies" clause. Gets me every time.

LongIslandZagFan
10-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Aaaah .... the old "no diaper dandies" clause. Gets me every time.

Still think this is standard Dookie V garbage.

coolhandzag
10-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Think of Vitale as a salesman.....he has his shtick.....you can choose how much gravity you want to give to it, but selling Duke can't be a surprise to anyone.

This years version of the ball club has got serious potential, whether Vitale acknowledges it in the pre-season or not.

jazzdelmar
10-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Hold on, some of you think Karnowski is an all American level player? I'm sorry, that's just out of touch with reality. A very very nice college BB player who, god willing, make a good living in Europe.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Hold on, some of you think Karnowski is an all American level player? I'm sorry, that's just out of touch with reality. A very very nice college BB player who, god willing, make a good living in Europe.

I think Karnowski is one of the top 5 centers in college basketball, and I think NWG is a top 5 pg.

cjm720
10-11-2016, 05:15 PM

At least you can admit he's a "nice" player now....you've come along ways from the Edwards should start over him days....

Bogozags
10-11-2016, 05:32 PM
I think Karnowski is one of the top 5 centers in college basketball, and I think NWG is a top 5 pg.

I believe that "IF" the Zags remain healthy (especially PK) then by the end of the season PK will receive valid recognition as will NWG and conceivably JP as well...PK is a true post player and he will be a force to be reckoned with...

Virginia Zags Fan
10-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Mark my words. If PK stays healthy and we see the hustle we saw at CITK, he will be on a US pro roster. I'm not saying all star, but I am saying NBA roster. NWG is the most physically gifted guard since Pargo. He may not be able to dunk like Jer, but he he has other abilities. Perkins is great in his own way.

Hey, Jordan Mathews is a great shooter. Why he didn't go off for more? Look no further than s. Melson. The dude is a lock down defender. PK to Mathews for three. Book it. And a bunch of PK to xxxxxxx for three as well.

BTW, Met Jordan Mathew's mom. Beautiful, lovely, lady. If the apple did not fall far from the tree, we are so lucky to have Mr. Jordan Mathews.

Win some games and Dickie V will notice all these guys. Just win Ba-by!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
10-12-2016, 03:08 AM
At least you can admit he's a "nice" player now....you've come along ways from the Edwards should start over him days....

Agree. Edwards a major disappointment, though he rivals Karno in waistline.

Zagdawg
10-12-2016, 06:36 AM
Jazz --your in depth insight/critique of our team is always appreciated.

Go Zags

hockeyzag
10-12-2016, 07:23 AM
Jazz --your in depth insight/critique of our team is always appreciated.

Go Zags

Love the heavy sarcasm.

Virginia Zags Fan is correct. A 7'1" player who can stay healthy and has the skills Karno has will no doubt find a spot in the NBA. If Sacre can have a career in the NBA, Karno absolutely can. He's a much better player at this stage of his development.

DZ
10-12-2016, 07:59 AM
Love the heavy sarcasm.

Virginia Zags Fan is correct. A 7'1" player who can stay healthy and has the skills Karno has will no doubt find a spot in the NBA. If Sacre can have a career in the NBA, Karno absolutely can. He's a much better player at this stage of his development.

????

I'm not bagging on Karno at all, I'm supporting Sacre's contributions and ability. I suspect our memories fade, some.

LongIslandZagFan
10-12-2016, 08:15 AM
Love the heavy sarcasm.

I love Shem... but dude... ask yourself if you could see him defending Delly one on one in a WCC championship game? Sacre did... and admirably at that.

Virginia Zags Fan
10-12-2016, 08:39 AM
I love Shem... but dude... ask yourself if you could see him defending Delly one on one in a WCC championship game? Sacre did... and admirably at that.

Straw man. Not Shem's game. Robert is one of my all time fav Zags for his effort and personality. Shem has a better shot, better court awareness and is a better passer. Just because one is not as strong in an area does not mean one or both are not great.

Bogozags
10-12-2016, 08:50 AM
I would venture to say that RS was the better defender, shot blocker, and free throw shooter...

PK is the better post scorer and passer, and has more double teams too...

This is my opinion based on having watched them play ever game in their careers except for Kraziness in the Kennel...

LongIslandZagFan
10-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Straw man. Not Shem's game. Robert is one of my all time fav Zags for his effort and personality. Shem has a better shot, better court awareness and is a better passer. Just because one is not as strong in an area does not mean one or both are not great.

I'll agree to disagree. Shem could make an NBA team... but he ISN'T Robert Sacre and his game hasn't surpassed his. Sacre had a mid-range jumper, was a better overall defender, better at drawing fouls, and hit his FTs. Shem is a better post player in many ways, passes much better than Rob did... but Rob was more advanced in his game.

Bogozags
10-12-2016, 09:16 AM
I'll agree to disagree. Shem could make an NBA team... but he ISN'T Robert Sacre and his game hasn't surpassed his. Sacre had a mid-range jumper, was a better overall defender, better at drawing fouls, and hit his FTs. Shem is a better post player in many ways, passes much better than Rob did... but Rob was more advanced in his game.

I guess to have a true match up between the two, we will have to see how Shem does this season...

jazzdelmar
10-12-2016, 09:25 AM

Bring it down, Va. Neither is "great." Geez. And as LIZF says, Sacre was a whole lot better at GU especially with effort and discipline. Not close.

seacatfan
10-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Sacre had a nice career at GU, but one of my enduring impressions of him was getting the ball stripped or getting his shot blocked by shorter players A LOT. Very frustrating. Kaleb Tarczewski at Arizona had the exact same problem. Both guys played a lot smaller than they were on the offensive end. Karnowski sometimes gets criticized for his rebounding prowess, but I think you could say the same for Sacre. As far as defense, Sacre was by far more mobile and a more versatile defender. Strictly in terms of low post defense, I think Karno is every bit as good as Sacre.

Virginia Zags Fan
10-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Bring it down, Va. Neither is "great." Geez. And as LIZF says, Sacre was a whole lot better at GU especially with effort and discipline. Not close.

One of the really cool things about this board is the varying opinions. Coaches, AD's, scouts, fans all see different things In players. We quantify things differently, too.

IMHO, I think PK is a great college player. He does so many small things day in and day out to make him and his teammates successful. I am taking nothing away from anybody else when I say that. It is OK to disagree on what PK brings to the team. In the end, it is what the GU coaching staff, PK, and the other players think. Not what This fan thinks that counts.

Ekrub
10-13-2016, 06:54 PM
Sacre had a nice career at GU, but one of my enduring impressions of him was getting the ball stripped or getting his shot blocked by shorter players A LOT. Very frustrating. Kaleb Tarczewski at Arizona had the exact same problem. Both guys played a lot smaller than they were on the offensive end. Karnowski sometimes gets criticized for his rebounding prowess, but I think you could say the same for Sacre. As far as defense, Sacre was by far more mobile and a more versatile defender. Strictly in terms of low post defense, I think Karno is every bit as good as Sacre.

One of my enduring memories of Shem is getting blocked by that memphis 6 foot guard

MDABE80
10-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Rob's a much better athlete. Neither are superior athletes.. Shem's got his upside. passing some scoring and some rebounding. Clogs the key and that's valuable if you're facing quick penetrators. I hope he's lost weight. He's got some more vertical when he's lighter. Williams3 and Collins both have good
ups" and Williams was leading rebounder at Missouri. I think we'll be ok down low. All of the guys can play.

Gurds amd the 3 speak for themselves. This is IMO a whole new type of team at GU. I think if they function as a team> we could end up in the FF ( with luck). I think it's good that SMC and BYU come at the end. We need that type of competition as the tournament approaches.

seacatfan
10-14-2016, 12:46 PM
One of my enduring memories of Shem is getting blocked by that memphis 6 foot guard

I don't remember that one. Although most games against Memphis were frustrating for the Zags.

Anyway, that was just once. I certainly don't recall Shem having a chronic problem of getting the ball swiped. Whether he has stronger hands, or is better at keeping the ball high, doesn't seem to be an issue for him. Do you remember Sacre getting his pocket picked a lot? I sure do.