PDA

View Full Version : Kraziness people Rate our team please

zag buddy
10-09-2016, 01:48 PM
For those of you who attended kraziness at the Kennel, how would you rate our team as a whole.

jazzdelmar
10-09-2016, 01:53 PM
For those of you who attended kraziness at the Kennel, how would you rate our team as a whole.

Yes, and please put the pompoms down. Bitter with the sweet.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Lots of talent at every position but it's not really possible to make much of an assessment when the whistle blew every 15 or 20 seconds and destroyed any flow to the game. I'll leave it at this: I see room for great optimism if we stay healthy

BurgessEraZag
10-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Lots of talent at every position but it's not really possible to make much of an assessment when the whistle blew every 15 or 20 seconds and destroyed any flow to the game. I'll leave it at this: I see room for great optimism if we stay healthy

Not disappointed one bit. Shem was much better than I expected since returning. His wide body will be "beaucoup" trouble for all our opponents. Frenchman Tillie will agree. Tillie by the way was awesome inside and out and seems already in the flow of the offense. Nigel also was awesome running the blue team. Collins did not disappoint. But it was funny when he tried to move Shem inside and couldn't and was called for "steps." Silas and Bryan already know the offense so they showed very well. Bryan is off to his hot shooting just like last year. I was most happy and surprised to see Melson so active and aggressive and playing tough defense against Mathews. Wow the choices in the backcourt will be difficult because of all the talent.

Rui is a big man and will likely contribute greatly. It appeared he is still trying to understand the language and maybe even the coaching advice, but's he's load we want to use against opponents. It looks to this reporter it will take a while but he has all the physical attributes and skills to be a force.

Didn't know Norvell was nursing his knee. In warmups he couldn't miss from three. Wow, another piece of the team to scare the hell out of opponents.

It was very difficult to get a sense of the team chemistry but everyone appeared very supportive and "together" on the court. NWG is going to be a great leader and working with another great point Perkins, we should be strong out front. Mathews is obviously a strong component but as posters have noted on the site, he looks smaller than some of our guards so will have to work harder for his shot. We are so big inside, hard for Mathews to get to the rim. No fear, he'll be good.

Collins is going to be great spelling Shem and giving a different look. Edwards looked o.k. but drew 3-4 fouls, pushing for position instead of moving his feet. I still think he provides some minutes when needed for Shem and Zach.

Nigel's comments to Meehan in the Review article about the different looks GU will give opponents is very perceptive since the talent is there to blow some teams away with the variety of big and dominating versus smaller and fast breaking. Can't imagine we won't have trouble hitting 3s will all the shooters we have.

Kraziness met all my expectations and I think everyone elses. Very heartfelt when the entire stadium rose to great Shem when he came on the court. As has been stated here, He is the heart and soul of this team this year.

Zag_Dad
10-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Was there a slam dunk contest this year? I remember watching Melson win that during the Kraziness for his freshman year.

DADoZAG
10-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Was there a slam dunk contest this year? I remember watching Melson win that during the Kraziness for his freshman year.

No, I think there was supposed to be or had planned to be, but it was cancelled. At least that's what Melson told me going through the autograph line. I didn't ask him why, but it might be because of Larson. Larson told me he was going up for a dunk in practice, and was blocked. Came down and landed awkwardly, damaging his knee.

As far as the thread, I was gitty walking in and I wasn't the only one. Bumped into someone whose opinion we all appreciate. I'll give you a little bit more later this week about that. I must admit I was a bit more measured walking out. There's a long ways to go. There's also a tremendous amount of potential!

ETA: just saw Blanchette's column in BZ's kraziness reports thread. He nailed it.

Go ZAGS!

jazzdelmar
10-09-2016, 04:22 PM
No, I think there was supposed to be or had planned to be, but it was cancelled. At least that's what Melson told me going through the autograph line. I didn't ask him why, but it might be because of Larson. Larson told me he was going up for a dunk in practice, and was blocked. Came down and landed awkwardly, damaging his knee.

As far as the thread, I was gitty walking in and I wasn't the only one. Bumped into someone whose opinion we all appreciate. I'll give you a little bit more later this week about that. I must admit I was a bit more measured walking out. There's a long ways to go. There's also a tremendous amount of potential!

Go ZAGS!

Looking forward to seeing the more balanced point of view you encountered.

sittingon50
10-09-2016, 04:36 PM
B (last night).

The ceiling is high.

The floor is high.

DADoZAG
10-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing the more balanced point of view you encountered.

Jazz, are you suggesting I don't have a balanced point of view? ;)

Gozags!

jazzdelmar
10-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Jazz, are you suggesting I don't have a balanced point of view? ;)

Gozags!

Not at all. I am hoping you will bring some equilibrium to the conversation.

willandi
10-09-2016, 05:51 PM
I didn't make it to Kraziness, but I am confident in saying that this is the best Zags team...this year!

zagamatic
10-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Of course it's a small sample size, but I give this team very high marks! I really don't think that we have seen this much athleticism on any one Zags team in the past. And it's combined with a ridiculous amount of talent from top to bottom. Unless we have to rely on the freshman more than expected, we should win the turnover battle as well as rebounding. And there's just too many options on offense to have a bad team shooting night.

titopoet
10-10-2016, 07:00 AM
Of course it's a small sample size, but I give this team very high marks! I really don't think that we have seen this much athleticism on any one Zags team in the past. And it's combined with a ridiculous amount of talent from top to bottom. Unless we have to rely on the freshman more than expected, we should win the turnover battle as well as rebounding. And there's just too many options on offense to have a bad team shooting night.

It is about putting the pieces in place and getting them to work together. The talent is very high, but it is clear they are all not on the same page (product of so many new faces). Coach Few made a similar response in introducing the team saying they had only a week together, though he was right as a group the played hard (hence the over fouling) It is about getting on the same page right now: defining the roles and then getting the buy in that will be the trick in the next month. And it is more about defining than buy in as a group they look close and committed.

Larryzag
10-10-2016, 08:43 AM
With Karno at full speed and NWG we are top 10 right now. Without Karno I'd say right now maybe 20 to 25, mid season in the teens after all the pieces to the puzzle come together, i.e. Collins, Tillie, Rui get experience. Without Karno, at this time, I would have a hard time seeing us cracking the top ten this year. Like was written earlier, Karno is the key.

Zagdawg
10-10-2016, 09:08 AM
But....but ...... Jazz has Collins starting over Karno........

That may have been before reality set in........ ;)

They will both complement each other-- Karno will wear them down and Collins will wear them out (trying to keep up with him).

zag67
10-10-2016, 12:38 PM
I think that this team has the chance to be really great. And I cannot wait for the season to begin. Tickets and hotel reservations for Vegas already made.

Look at what the practices will be like.

Karno guarding Collins - Edwards
JWIII guarding Tillie - Rui
Mathews guarding Melson - Jones
Perkins guarding NWG
Alberts guarding Norvell

Look at the experience that the new players are going to get having to guard and be guarded by the new experienced players likes of NWG, JWIII, Mathews and Jones. Then you have the GU experienced players like Perkins, Alberts, Melson and Karno that know the system and know what Few likes and dislikes. Not to mention the experienced walk ons to again help the new players in the transition. Practices are going to be brutal, but after the season starts many of the teams that they play against will be a piece of cake compared to practice. But the main key is NO INJURIES.

Goshzagit
10-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Few was fully planning to Larsen this yr.

He admitted the depth took a hit own low following this news. Loved his versatility at 4 & 5, god gifted strength, & Sabonis-esque footwork. Good sized kid too.

I feel we dropped a grade post injury, yet gained a grade with Tillie's somewhat surprising play...and confidence.

Owning a scrimmage is far different than a game with our complicated offense; however, Tillie has the length, athleticism, & game to kinda "let loose" at wing or stretch forward.

It takes Killian 2 steps from 3pt line to thw hoop, no joke. Buillt a bit like Daye but thicker in the legs.

Bright future, utilize him much like Iowa employed Uthoff last 2 seasons.

JPtheBeasta
10-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Good stuff.

seacatfan
10-10-2016, 04:39 PM
I hope Larsen has a full recovery and becomes an impact player down the road for the Zags. I have a hard time believing they will feel his loss all that much this year though. For most of Few's tenure at GU he has predominantly used a 3 man rotation at the 4 and 5. A few other guys got some token minutes, or he mixed his lineups and went small at times, but basically it's 3 bigs. So with hopefully no more injuries, it's well covered with Karnowski, JWIII and Collins. Edwards, Larsen and Tillie were probably gonna be battling for very little leftover minutes. One less guy battling for the leftovers...I don't think it's gonna derail the season.

Larryzag
10-10-2016, 06:39 PM
After seeing the scrimmage I expect a rotation of Karno - Collins and JWIII - Tillie at the beginning of the season. After some experience maybe Rui might get some time but I saw an interpreter with him as the coaches were talking to him. I'm wondering if he might redshirt to learn the language and get comfortable with his studies, etc.

Goshzagit
10-11-2016, 04:32 AM
After seeing the scrimmage I expect a rotation of Karno - Collins and JWIII - Tillie at the beginning of the season. After some experience maybe Rui might get some time but I saw an interpreter with him as the coaches were talking to him. I'm wondering if he might redshirt to learn the language and get comfortable with his studies, etc.

As was said all offseason, Rui may RS due to language barriers alone.

However, he was enrolled in English classes all Summer, which helped some.

That said, its up to him. He's one of the best offensive rebounders on the team. Has a terrific mid range game, & has a build/body/skills most teams dont have, unless you're Kentucky, Duke, et al.

No doubt Rui can be a weapon but he is lost out there. He looks way better in pick up games than practice.

Tillie, Larsen understand English just fine as their oversea coaches use a ton of English terminology on the court.

Rui's coaches did not...

ZagsGoZags
10-11-2016, 06:13 AM
this team looks like the quickest, and most athletic I can remember,
I left the Kennel on a high feeling of optimism for this season,
if Ryan and Alberts couldn't break the rotation much last year when we were desperate,
each one will have to improve a LOT to get significant PT this year,
all the new guys are full of hustle

DixieZag
10-11-2016, 07:56 AM

That's one big advantage to going 10-11 deep. Each guy has to know that taking a play off or a half effort on Defense or rebounding will get the guy a seat. Also ensures practices will be intense.

And there's that old saying, "You only play as well as you practice" or some variation.

CdAZagFan
10-11-2016, 08:03 AM
It is about putting the pieces in place and getting them to work together. The talent is very high, but it is clear they are all not on the same page (product of so many new faces). Coach Few made a similar response in introducing the team saying they had only a week together, though he was right as a group the played hard (hence the over fouling) It is about getting on the same page right now: defining the roles and then getting the buy in that will be the trick in the next month. And it is more about defining than buy in as a group they look close and committed.

This is the key... Talent level is incredible, but this team may take awhile to gel (I don't think it will take as long as last year's team to get rolling). Guard play will be very good when NWG, Perkins and Matthew get their roles settled. Also, the ability to play small or go big will be a great tool to have. After watching Collins in the scrimmage and in the McD AA game, he has really impressive moves - but he can be pushed around by larger players - something he said he is working on against Shem in practice. I thought the team D looked pretty good for early in the season. This should be a fun year - enjoy the ride!

Zagdawg
10-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Really liked the brief glimpses of pressure the guys were putting on the opposing team -- with our size/speed/depth we can really wear a team down by applying that pressure.

Would hate to be the opposing big that has to try to bang with Big K --then keep up with Collins --not going to be fun for them-- then they will "get a break" by banging with Ryan a bit.

Prediction: opposing teams will need to fall back into a zone because of foul trouble on their bigs-- and we have the shooters to bust a zone pretty quickly.

Zaga
10-11-2016, 12:55 PM
this team looks like the quickest, and most athletic I can remember,
I left the Kennel on a high feeling of optimism for this season,
if Ryan and Alberts couldn't break the rotation much last year when we were desperate,
each one will have to improve a LOT to get significant PT this year,

That was my take as well. Shem seemed fully recovered and it seemed to me like a full contact scrimmage.