PDA

View Full Version : TSSF: Killian Tillie

kitzbuel
10-06-2016, 04:03 AM
A nice bit of information on Killian over at TSSF: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016/10/5/13161996/killian-tillie-gonzaga-bulldogs-2016-17-season-preview

I think he gets a little lost with all the hubbub surrounding Rui. Tillie is good. I watched the FIBA 3 on 3 and thought he compared very favorably with ZC. He should prove to be a good find.

jpwils
10-06-2016, 05:47 AM
A nice bit of information on Killian over at TSSF: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016/10/5/13161996/killian-tillie-gonzaga-bulldogs-2016-17-season-preview

I think he gets a little lost with all the hubbub surrounding Rui. Tillie is good. I watched the FIBA 3 on 3 and thought he compared very favorably with ZC. He should prove to be a good find.

I may be all wrong , but I just don't see Tillie in the Bigs Rotation this year. He seems more like a 3/4 player based on favorable matchups or when we may go to a zone defense. Karno and Edwards and Collins and Williams share 80 minutes. Injuries and foul trouble and matchups play a role in all this admittedly. Yes Karno will need resting and tends to get ticky-tack fouls called on him.

I see Killie this season as more of a Micah Downs type with height. Athletic, good shooter, and capable of defending taller 3's. We obviously have a "small-ball lineup" that everyone wants to see with NWG, Perkins, Jordan Mathews, Karno, and JWIII, But there are minutes AVAILABLE to some hungry and capable player off the bench at the 3 Can it be Killie? Can it be Hachimura ?

The truth is that We DONT KNOW YET .Jones has been mentioned as a defensive stopper. Hachimura may be a hidden gem of an offensive rebounder. Tillie may be hitting 3's. Also it kinda depends on how BIG the opposing team's 3's and 4's are.

This is why we hold October PRACTICE- to find these things out ! Then showing he can do those same things in OOC games will be huge. Can't wait to see how this all plays out !!

Goshzagit
10-06-2016, 06:26 AM

He is good. However, he hasn't played bball since the aforementioned 3 on 3 Tourney when he was on a tear & developing rapidly.

Even his youth national team shut him down for nearly a year due to his reoccurring knee issues....both knees btw.

Hopefully this has beem resolved. He hasnt really played since the beginning of 2015, yet looks to have worked hard all Summer.

He needs to get vastly stronger & build his frame a bit more.

Tillie is nearly 6'10" yet doesnt have a post game. He has a finesse game. This is fine, and could help out at wing or stretch 4, yet will need to become more physical and physically ready.

He has an incredible upside, due to his length, natural athleticism, feel, passing, & touch around the hoop.

I am most curious also worried about him. Will he stick around? Or consider a RS? Or be willing to provide 3-5 mins off the bench this season? Hit the weight room hard? Stay healthy after years of issues and intermittent play?

More questions and uncertainty surrounding Tillie than any player we have at the moment.

I view him as the next Jared Uhtoff for Iowa. Slow starter yet finds a way to utilize his length, athleticism, wiry height to domimate at 2 positions...but this takes time, patience, and discipline. Sometimes 2 or 3 seasons before it comes together.

We will see...

LongIslandZagFan
10-06-2016, 07:12 AM
My gut says we see more of Tillie than we do Rui. Think Tillie has played stiffer competition and is more ready to play than Rui. Just my 2 cents.

kitzbuel
10-06-2016, 08:47 AM
If he is indeed pushing 230 as TSSF suggests, he has been putting some time in to the weight room. Seems like he took his rehab seriously.

DixieZag
10-06-2016, 08:54 AM
There has been little discussion of redshirts regarding anyone.

I have to wonder how it will all work b/c - as everyone knows - the "3-5 minutes" a game thing doesn't work that often, or well, especially in the last 1/3 of the year. At some point, the rotation sets into the"8" type area, maybe 9.

It's a wonderful problem to have. It would be great if several had no problem using a year to adjust and work, but ....we'll see.

Glad he sounds well and healthy.

LongIslandZagFan
10-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Here is what I CAN tell you. Someone and maybe more than one person may red-shirt. Not going on any knowledge here... just saying I'd be shocked if nobody red-shirted if not more than one person.

Mr Vulture
10-06-2016, 02:23 PM
I had to laugh, you said we have a "small-ball lineup" and then named what should be the starting lineup. I would imagine that if they wanted to go small they could rotate JWIII inside and play Rui or Tillie at the four spot. Not a big deal, I just chuckled as any lineup with Karno in it wouldn't be "small-ball" to me. Anyway, good post....think you're pretty much on for playing time with Tillie and some guys are going to play depending on matchups often times.

I may be all wrong , but I just don't see Tillie in the Bigs Rotation this year. He seems more like a 3/4 player based on favorable matchups or when we may go to a zone defense. Karno and Edwards and Collins and Williams share 80 minutes. Injuries and foul trouble and matchups play a role in all this admittedly. Yes Karno will need resting and tends to get ticky-tack fouls called on him.

I see Killie this season as more of a Micah Downs type with height. Athletic, good shooter, and capable of defending taller 3's. We obviously have a "small-ball lineup" that everyone wants to see with NWG, Perkins, Jordan Mathews, Karno, and JWIII, But there are minutes AVAILABLE to some hungry and capable player off the bench at the 3 Can it be Killie? Can it be Hachimura ?

The truth is that We DONT KNOW YET .Jones has been mentioned as a defensive stopper. Hachimura may be a hidden gem of an offensive rebounder. Tillie may be hitting 3's. Also it kinda depends on how BIG the opposing team's 3's and 4's are.

This is why we hold October PRACTICE- to find these things out ! Then showing he can do those same things in OOC games will be huge. Can't wait to see how this all plays out !!

OZZY
10-06-2016, 03:35 PM
All I can say is that practises are going to be very interesting.

Imagine a "visitors" defensive line up of Melson, Jones, Rui, Tillie and Collins. With Edwards, Alberts and Larsen looking on.....

:)

MDABE80
10-06-2016, 07:36 PM
No doubt OZ. One thing though..as this group is getting up to speed with their positions, skills and understanding the offense, defense will be key to getting some V's. Outside of Silas, where are those hard nosed defenders? Who are they? Coach C mentioned short term with Jones but we play a whole game. SInce I looked in on the guys a few months back, I've seen nor heard anything about dfense. The Summer stuff was all offense. unbridled and wild offense. Collins can get somewhere fast and his timing for block shots is quite good. Williams is a shotblocker/rebounder from his Missouri days.
Of the 3 main guards, I just don't know about their defense capabilities. Last years Josh was just average. At UW, Nigel was ok. Not seen Mathews yet. It'll be interesting to see how this develops. Offense will come. I hope the defense comes early.

Goshzagit
10-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Outside of Silas, where are those hard nosed defenders? Who are they? Coach C mentioned short term with Jones but we play a whole game. SInce I looked in on the guys a few months back, I've seen nor heard anything about dfense. The Summer stuff was all offense. unbridled and wild offense. Collins can get somewhere fast and his timing for block shots is quite good. Williams is a shotblocker/rebounder from his Missouri days.
Of the 3 main guards, I just don't know about their defense capabilities. Last years Josh was just average. At UW, Nigel was ok. Not seen Mathews yet. It'll be interesting to see how this develops. Offense will come. I hope the defense comes early.

Good point Abe.

I heard last season J3 was an outstanding defender in practice. Not just rim protection, yet one on one. Heard he won many battles vs Sabonis.

As mentioned, faced some knee issue(s) all Summer long, but he is hard-nosed as they get. Not especially big or tall, but he is active, tough, long, and excellent work ethic.

Collins was praised for his defense in HS, and will take time to adjust, but has all the tools.

On the perimeter, Perkins is solid, not great, but generally in right place. Not sure about Nigel. We know Silas can defend well, but again, not great. He's very good at pick n roll, but gets beat pretty consistently off the ball penetration. I like Mathew's strength and smarts.

I don't think this team as a McClellan, who was a magician defending shooting and penetration. Very underrated.

Karnowski is back and was the best big defender we have had since Sacre. Plus, better shot blocker than both Domas or Wiltjer combined.

As amazing as Domantas was at nearly everything, a true once-a-generation player…and expected NBA starter…his primary weakness was rim protection, esp at 6'11".

This team might not be as strong defensively along the perimeter, yet much better underneath and around the hoop.