• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goshzagit
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

Jordan Mathews & NWG

We know he is a proven commodity.

He is a 'gamer', who is smart and can shoot the heck outta the bball.

He is a career 42% shooter from 3pt with nearly 500 attempts, can hit shots with no space.

I bring this up because of what I heard today...

Apparently, NWG is hitting perimeter shots at a higher clip and more consistently than Jordan. This isn't a slight to Mathews, moreso a big time compliment to Nigel.

Williams-Goss is NOT known for 3pt shot. Some say its one of the reasons, education included, he did not declare for the draft.

He has clearly put in the work this off season and his shooting has improved significantly...at lease in practice & individual workouts.

Nigel was inconsistent from 3 his Frosh yr, then flat out shooting liability his Soph season.

He's out-shooting the best shooter in the West thus far...

I guess Perks is knocking down everything too, yet heard NWG is off the charts.

Hope it continues into the season!

We already know his ballhandling & passing & floaters are blue-chip, so if perimeter shooting is coilming along, the sky is the limit with him.
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

On the podcast, Few noted that NWG and JWIII were both some of the hardest working kids he'd been around, doing extra workouts over and above the off-season regiment allowed by NCAA.

Good news and thank you for the inside info.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I hope that NWG will be here next year to make an impact on the season -- Nike tournament, Washington game in Seattle and in the dance -- with the current press coverage -- if he lives up to the hype -- he may be gone after this year.

We had best enjoy him while we have him.

Go Zags!

Comment

• zag buddy
        Banned
        • Dec 2007

My goodness, the talent on this team is unbelievable. The reason being that all our players are very good D-1 players and from top to bottom there is not much separation between them. Most good teams have at the max 7 good players. All our players are very, very good. So many reasons come into play on how far we'll go, (maybe it is their biorhythms?) but from a pure talent stand point I would compare our team to any in the country.
        Last edited by zag buddy; 10-05-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• seacatfan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2014

I think I read somewhere Perkins hit 46% on 3's in conference games. I'll take that any day. Adding Mathews and an improving NWG, maybe Melson can find some consistency and Norvell is supposed to have 3 point range, also Collins can step out and hit them. I don't think anybody is going to be a volume 3 point shooter the way Wiltjer was the previous 2 seasons, but collectively this could be shaping up as a very dangerous group of Zags behind the arc.

Comment

• Zagdawg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Any team who brings a double team at Big K should be made to pay the price.

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Defense will be key. I have no doubt these 3 plus Norvell/Silas can put up all sorts of points. Last year as in every year) our defense won games. I hope we can play hard on both sides of the ball. Silas does but the others remain a question mark. Josh should know how important defense is. Who will defend like EMAC or Dranginis???

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                Defense will be key. I have no doubt these 3 plus Norvell/Silas can put up all sorts of points. Last year as in every year) our defense won games. I hope we can play hard on both sides of the ball. Silas does but the others remain a question mark. Josh should know how important defense is. Who will defend like EMAC or Dranginis???
                In terms of a short term stopper? Jeremy Jones. And who knows? If this team gets mega production out of the four others on the floor, while he is out there, then he may get more time if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

I think it bears repeating, so I will. NWG shot 49% in I think it was the World juniors, 36% his fr year at UW before slumping as a soph. Won the 3 pt contest at, I think, the MCD AA game.

His form has always looked pretty good. I attributed his soph shooting slump at UW to playing in an offense with a lot of 1 on 1 play and a poor quality of shot attempts due to a lack of effective ball movement, as well as the fact that he only attempted 86 for the season. Hard to get in a shooting rhythm and shoot with confidence with a small number of poor quality shot attempts.

He's a smart kid, and wanted to play with a good team rather than the playground allstars. If 3 of the guards can shoot it in the 40's from 3, this team will be unstoppable.

Comment

• Virginia Zags Fan
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2009

Good info. Thanks guys. Saw him summer scrimmage, but looking forward to Saturday. This summer, NWG was an active floor general. Really cool to hear him verbalize. When I watched, Josh Perkins and young Mr. Chicago had the hot hands from 3.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Virginia Zags Fan View Post
                      Good info. Thanks guys. Saw him summer scrimmage, but looking forward to Saturday. This summer, NWG was an active floor general. Really cool to hear him verbalize. When I watched, Josh Perkins and young Mr. Chicago had the hot hands from 3.

This is a good point.

As much as Nigel has improved his shooting, or at least his consistency, it may not be his "role" on this yr's team.

Given Perkins ability to hit the catch & shoot 3pt, along with Mathews long-standing shooting prowess, it could be NWG's duty to set these guys up...along with the others.

We lost 4 starters, including 2 gnerational players...only once in the last 18 yrs I believe that has happened to the Zags, yet Few's excitement is palpable this season. For a reason.

He likes these guys.

It was awesome they chose to do a team retreat with this group. Coach Few said its the first time in program history. They have stayed at a cabim before yet this was unique. A true team building, bonding working event.

This group also needed it. They all get along but as ive said all Summer...chemistry issues have been a minor issue. To be expected with such diversity, new faces, roles, transfers, etc.

Anyway, i digress, yet point is NWG will be our main guy running this team. Yes, he will be sharing "point guard" duties with Perkins, but as we know, NWG is a special player with the entire package...save elite athleticism. He us eerily similar to Tyus Jones for Duke, and that type of impact.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
                        We know he is a proven commodity.

He is a 'gamer', who is smart and can shoot the heck outta the bball.

He is a career 42% shooter from 3pt with nearly 500 attempts, can hit shots with no space.

I bring this up because of what I heard today...

Apparently, NWG is hitting perimeter shots at a higher clip and more consistently than Jordan. This isn't a slight to Mathews, moreso a big time compliment to Nigel.

Williams-Goss is NOT known for 3pt shot. Some say its one of the reasons, education included, he did not declare for the draft.

He has clearly put in the work this off season and his shooting has improved significantly...at lease in practice & individual workouts.

Nigel was inconsistent from 3 his Frosh yr, then flat out shooting liability his Soph season.

He's out-shooting the best shooter in the West thus far...

I guess Perks is knocking down everything too, yet heard NWG is off the charts.

Hope it continues into the season!

We already know his ballhandling & passing & floaters are blue-chip, so if perimeter shooting is coilming along, the sky is the limit with him.
                        Well if this doesn't get you excited, then you are not a Zags fan. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
                        It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I'd like to know who keeps deleting my posts. Anyone?? Give me a reason. Too many ( one from this thread) are deleted and for no reason. Mods speak up.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                            I'd like to know who keeps deleting my posts. Anyone?? Give me a reason. Too many ( one from this thread) are deleted and for no reason. Mods speak up.
                            Not me.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Looking forward to eyewitness accounts of the scrimmage. Hopefully objective

Comment

Working...
                              X