PDA

View Full Version : We're talking about practice. . .

RenoZag
09-30-2016, 08:31 PM
Was browsing ESPN MBB page and noticed a Goodman post re: Duke, that indicated today was their first official day of practice for the 16-17 season.

Duke (like many schools) will hold its first official practice today.

Did GU begin today also ?

Thanks in advance.

Radbooks
09-30-2016, 09:25 PM
This was on Gonzaga's Twitter page today:

The season is officially here! ��

We talkin' about practice today.

ZagNative
09-30-2016, 09:49 PM
Here's a lackluster piece on the start of practice by Jim Meehan in today's SR. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/sep/30/numbers-lining-up-as-zags-open-practice/

I remember when Tim Lewis was with KREM 2 when we'd get great video from every practice... Sigh...

Zagdawg
09-30-2016, 10:07 PM
“In pick-up games in the fall and over summer I’ve seen a lot of potential and I was shocked how well we jelled,” Collins said. “Everyone likes each other on and off the court and I think that’s huge. I really expect a lot from us and I think we can go pretty far.”

kitzbuel
09-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Here's a lackluster piece on the start of practice by Jim Meehan in today's SR. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/sep/30/numbers-lining-up-as-zags-open-practice/

I remember when Tim Lewis was with KREM 2 when we'd get great video from every practice... Sigh...

The newcomers include forward Rui Hachimura, who has packed on 20 pounds since arriving at Gonzaga...

Holy cow

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-01-2016, 01:58 AM
Holy cow

The 'Freshman Twenty?"

I thought they demolished the COG.

Bogozags
10-01-2016, 04:25 AM
Holy cow

More beef, less fish and then there is that Weight Training thing too...he is going to be a hoss...

kitzbuel
10-01-2016, 05:32 AM
More beef, less fish and then there is that Weight Training thing too...he is going to be a hoss...

I have had maintained a bit of skepticism over the hype surrounding Rui based on not knowing the quality of Japanese basketball and a natural tempering of expectations that is sometimes needed around here. But he seems to be blossoming out of nowhere. I am probably more excited to see him play than any other player on the team right now.

Goshzagit
10-01-2016, 06:22 AM
Disappointed to hear Nigel Williams-Goss is still 'limited' due to that nagging ankle issue over the past year+. I'm sure its precautionary, yet his quick cuts/jukes are his game in a nutshell. Opens up his next-level floaters and getting into the lane to pass or score. Hope he's on the mend.

Encouraged to hear JWIII practicing again. Has not played in full-contact/5on5 play since May! His knee, as mentioned previously, had a small sprain/tear and borderline needed arthroscopic surgery. They elected rest & rehab, which is a risk in itself. NWG attempted to rest ankle last season for 6 wks until requiring surgery to fix ailment. I sincerely hope JWIII knee is healthy again.

As many have said, while others have shared false hope, good to hear Karnowski is cleared for full activity. Is he fully recovered? Yes & No. His back has healed fully from the invasive procedure to clean up his disk, yet his body is out of shape, and his bball skills are rusty. As Few mentioned, he a long way to go to get to playing 20+ mins and to where he was pre-back surgery.

I posted in August about our "health issues" amongst our team. We can only hope they get right at the right time.

17 players, 13 are seeking serious playing time, 5 most likely starters, 3 of which are recovering from pretty serious long-standing injuries.

I'm going to be patient.

thespywhozaggedme
10-01-2016, 07:35 AM
Disappointed to hear Nigel Williams-Goss is still 'limited' due to that nagging ankle issue over the past year+. I'm sure its precautionary, yet his quick cuts/jukes are his game in a nutshell. Opens up his next-level floaters and getting into the lane to pass or score. Hope he's on the mend.

Encouraged to hear JWIII practicing again. Has not played in full-contact/5on5 play since May! His knee, as mentioned previously, had a small sprain/tear and borderline needed arthroscopic surgery. They elected rest & rehab, which is a risk in itself. NWG attempted to rest ankle last season for 6 wks until requiring surgery to fix ailment. I sincerely hope JWIII knee is healthy again.

As many have said, while others have shared false hope, good to hear Karnowski is cleared for full activity. Is he fully recovered? Yes & No. His back has healed fully from the invasive procedure to clean up his disk, yet his body is out of shape, and his bball skills are rusty. As Few mentioned, he a long way to go to get to playing 20+ mins and to where he was pre-back surgery.

I posted in August about our "health issues" amongst our team. We can only hope they get right at the right time.

17 players, 13 are seeking serious playing time, 5 most likely starters, 3 of which are recovering from pretty serious long-standing injuries.

I'm going to be patient.

His "body is outta shape'? Have you seen pictures of him? He looks so fit and trim. He looks like he's dropped about 40 pounds. He looks like he's in the best shape of his life.

Ekrub
10-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Ben simmons also just put on 20 pounds, then broke his foot.

Zagdawg
10-01-2016, 07:42 AM
I agree he looks slimmer in the recent pics----I'm thinking more the cardio and muscle mass has suffered during his down time.

I am really happy he is headed down the path now to be ready for the year--his leadership, defensive ability, ability to open up our 3 pt shooters due to the double team and passing will pay dividends this year.

Go Zags

MontanaCoyote
10-01-2016, 08:03 AM
"Karno's The Key!"

Goshzagit
10-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Ben simmons also just put on 20 pounds, then broke his foot.

good point.

bones become stronger with continued muscle growth; however, rapid weight gain can place bones and muscle at stress when not developed slowly enough. can become more prone to injury if not slow/natural progression of strength/weight.

hence why steroid users are oft-injured with muscle/tendon/bone injuries.

Rui is growing into his body, yet his frame clearly is developed, built for muscle growth. Of course we know it was with hard work, and AMERICAN diet compared to JAPANESE diet, yet too fast of gains is NEVER a good thing on development.

Remember when Elias spoke about gaining 30 lbs of unflattering weight due to all the processed, high fat, fast food, endless portion-based American diet???

However, Rui just seems built for muscle.

bigblahla
10-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Rui will become "The Beast from the East" just a matter of time....what a loaded TEAM....too long before first game...looking forward to Kraziness...

Go!! Zags!!!

JPtheBeasta
10-01-2016, 12:04 PM
The other side of the infamous "practice" Iverson interview that people don't seem to talk about much (I didn't know the context until watching the Iverson documentary):

The other part few remember from the practice rant is the raw and lingering wound Iverson still suffered from the death of his best friend. Rahsaan Langeford was shot and killed seven months earlier, an event with which Iverson struggled to cope. All throughout the '01-'02 season, Langeford's death hung over Iverson, and just days before his interview, the murder trial for the man accused of killing Langeford began.
The 2014 documentary "Iverson" explores this dimension.

"Nobody looks at the whole comment Allen made," Scoop Jackson says in the film. "He was talking about his boy dying ... [The media] would not play that full track."
In truth, minutes after he jokes about practice, Iverson becomes more serious and vulnerable.
"I'm upset for one reason: 'Cause I'm in here. I lost. I lost my best friend. I lost him, and I lost this year. Everything is just going downhill for me, as far as just that. You know, as far as my life. And then I'm dealing with this. ... My best friend is dead. Dead. And we lost. And this is what I have to go through for the rest of the summer until the season is all over again."
As time goes by, the lasting memory from that day will be Iverson's charming incredulity. But, as has always been the case with Iverson, there are more sides to the story.

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/15479405/what-forgotten-allen-iverson-practice-rant