• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

WCC Preview: ‘Zags favorites once more --NBC Sports

FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:

"1. Gonzaga just reloads: The Bulldogs may have lost a lottery pick in Domantas Sabonis and first-team all-conference contributor in Kyle Wiltjer, but it’s not hard to envision Mark Few’s team being better this season. NBCSports.com preseason All-American Nigel Williams-Goss (Washington) and Johnathan Williams (Missouri) are eligible after transfers, as is Cal graduate transfer Jordan Mathews. The ‘Zags also add a McDonald’s All-American in freshman 7-footer Zach Collins and have Przmek Karnowski healthy after missing most of last season. This program is a well-oiled, winning machine. They’re talented enough that this could actually be the year they get to the Final Four."

The top of the WCC is going to be really, really good this year. The league race should be terrific.
  • hooter73
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2008

All true but man am I tired of reading "this could be the year..."

Can't we just have an 80% winning record and enjoy being a juggernaut no one really wants to play against lol?

Comment

• DukeSilver
      Kennel Club Material
      • Nov 2013

Like it or not, making it to the Final Four (not to mention a NC) is the only widely-accepted mark of programatic success that the Zags haven't yet achieved ... We've got our run of Tourney appearances, we've got guys in the NBA, we've got national recognition, but the Final Four will always be a topic of conversation surrounding the Zags until we get there.

Comment

• CDC84
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

The problem with this whole final four talk is that last year's team - as flawed as it was - had an easier chance of getting to the final four than this group will. Last year was a down season in college basketball. Not a lot of very talented players. Things are going to be very different this year. Some feel this year's recruiting class might be the best in two decades. The Zags had better get a high seed and good location.

Comment

• seacatfan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2014

Down year last year? I'm not sure about that. There were teams with talented upperclassmen. That's become a rarity. Last year's Title Game was a classic. A glut of ultrahyped one and doners doesn't automatically translate to great basketball being played. For every Kentucky or Duke that has been led to a Championship by freshmen, there have been quite a few teams that crashed and burned when relying mostly on star freshmen (LSU last year...or Kentucky a few other times for instance).

Comment

• tinfoilzag
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2009

From the article:

"PRESEASON WCC PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Nigel Williams-Goss, Gonzaga

An NBCSports.com second-team preseason All-American, Williams-Goss sat out last season after transfering from Washington to Spokane, and we’re expecting him to hit the ground rounding after a year away from competition."

It's nit-picky but he either transferred from Washington to Gonzaga or he transferred from Seattle to Spokane.
            The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
              From the article:

"PRESEASON WCC PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Nigel Williams-Goss, Gonzaga

An NBCSports.com second-team preseason All-American, Williams-Goss sat out last season after transfering from Washington to Spokane, and we’re expecting him to hit the ground rounding after a year away from competition."

It's nit-picky but he either transferred from Washington to Gonzaga or he transferred from Seattle to Spokane.
              Apparently, the Zags are taking a page from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. We're now known as the Gonzaga Bulldogs of Spokane, so as not to confuse everyone with our Gonzaga in Florence team.

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

He'll be a focused PG which is a good thing to have for the next few years. I'm a bit surprised that Nigel is POY in this prediction. We have others on this team who I'd bet on. Nigel's a superior, experienced player though and he could be the top dog easily. In his wait to play, he's worked on his shooting like a dog with a bone. He'll bring a new dimension to the team. Same with Mathews on the wing. Big time recruit. I wish he had 2 years. Josh has more experience now. We may have the best guard core in the country. Melson ( when he's good) is also a superior player. Norvell is new and he'll take time to learn the offense. He may have to wait a bit to see major court time. He's just SOOO good though.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2007

Have a love/hate relationship with hype...

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Down year last year? I'm not sure about that. There were teams with talented upperclassmen. That's become a rarity. Last year's Title Game was a classic. A glut of ultrahyped one and doners doesn't automatically translate to great basketball being played. For every Kentucky or Duke that has been led to a Championship by freshmen, there have been quite a few teams that crashed and burned when relying mostly on star freshmen (LSU last year...or Kentucky a few other times for instance).
                    In my opinion, there were 5 teams the previous year, including Arizona, who would've blasted any team this past March. Last year's NCAA field was the one worst I have seen in the past 25 years of college basketball. It's part of the reason why one of Few's worst teams managed to get to the sweet 16 and almost the elite 8.

You can't even compare the 2015 guys with the 2016 guys. The 2016 class is that amazing. A scout friend of mine feels it's the best since the early 80's. And it's not just their talent....many of them are all out gamers. And it's deep. Anyone who felt Ben Simmons was going to lead LSU to the promised land didn't look at the players around him. Needless to say, he became a head case as well.

Comment

• seacatfan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                      Last year's NCAA field was the one worst I have seen in the past 25 years of college basketball. It's part of the reason why one of Few's worst teams managed to get to the sweet 16 and almost the elite 8.
                      Well, I still found the Tourney entertaining last year. Villanova was playing at an incredibly high level. With the way they shot the ball throughout the Tourney, they could've stayed in a game with more talented teams from previous years without a doubt as far as I'm concerned. Hield was really fun to watch. Carolina had a very solid veteran team.

Speaking of teams that were not very good compared to historical levels for their program, Syracuse was definitely that yet made the Final 4. That's twice in the last 4 years you can say that of the Orange. Maybe has something to do with an experienced coach getting his team focused and executing well at the right time of the year?

Last year wasn't a vintage Gonzaga team, but the way they were playing at the end of the year was night and day difference compared to how they stumbled thru most of the season.

Comment

• seacatfan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2014

Also I'd say the 2010 Tourney was a real snoozer, and that Duke-Butler Championship game was one of the worst Title games ever played. So was the next year's UConn-Butler game. Actually I'd pick the 2016 'Nova team to wipe the floor with the '10 Duke, and '11 and '14 UConn champions.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                          Well, I still found the Tourney entertaining last year. Villanova was playing at an incredibly high level. With the way they shot the ball throughout the Tourney, they could've stayed in a game with more talented teams from previous years without a doubt as far as I'm concerned. Hield was really fun to watch. Carolina had a very solid veteran team.

Speaking of teams that were not very good compared to historical levels for their program, Syracuse was definitely that yet made the Final 4. That's twice in the last 4 years you can say that of the Orange. Maybe has something to do with an experienced coach getting his team focused and executing well at the right time of the year?

Last year wasn't a vintage Gonzaga team, but the way they were playing at the end of the year was night and day difference compared to how they stumbled thru most of the season.
                          The grittiness of last year's Zags was one for the history books IMO. We're long past the stage of being considered "soft", and we have Karno back this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X