PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sacre signed by Pelicans

ZaGranny
09-28-2016, 09:29 PM
He was invited to their training camps and was signed 9/22.

I found a lot of info by googling Robert Sacre Pelicans including the article Pelicans center Robert Sacre not shy about showing his love for Louisiana, Saints football. It had this gem:

Despite his imposing 270-pound frame, Sacre did not play football – with a good-natured smile, he explains that his philosophy about his body was “don’t take a Ferrari off-roading” –

ZaGranny

webspinnre
09-28-2016, 11:22 PM
He was invited to their training camps and was signed 9/22.

I found a lot of info by googling Robert Sacre Pelicans including the article Pelicans center Robert Sacre not shy about showing his love for Louisiana, Saints football. It had this gem:

Despite his imposing 270-pound frame, Sacre did not play football – with a good-natured smile, he explains that his philosophy about his body was “don’t take a Ferrari off-roading” –

ZaGranny

Hah! Classic Rob!

sittingon50
09-29-2016, 06:44 AM
Has ties to the area. Hope it works out for him!

Mojo13
09-29-2016, 11:13 AM
He hasn't really been "signed" by the Pelicans, but I guess that is in the eye of the beholder.
He "signed" a non-guaranteed training camp deal. There are about 7 guys competing for two roster spots with Pelicans. He has an uphill battle to make the roster and clearly has Asik and Ajinca well ahead of him. My guess is that he doesn't make the roster, but who knows...

ZaGranny
09-29-2016, 06:16 PM
He hasn't really been "signed" by the Pelicans, but I guess that is in the eye of the beholder.
He "signed" a non-guaranteed training camp deal. There are about 7 guys competing for two roster spots with Pelicans. He has an uphill battle to make the roster and clearly has Asik and Ajinca well ahead of him. My guess is that he doesn't make the roster, but who knows...

Looks like 2 different signings to me. He wouldn't sign training camp deal twice.

Pelicans' Robert Sacre: Signs training camp deal with Pelicans
by RotoWire Staff Aug 11, 2016

New Orleans Pelicans (2016–present)[edit]
On September 22, 2016, Sacre signed with the New Orleans Pelicans.[15]

Also, when we were on campus today we saw a lady who is on the GU Board of Trustees and at a season opening gathering they had said he was signed by the Pelicans. (They announced where all of our former players are playing.)
ZaGranny

willandi
09-29-2016, 06:53 PM

He'll never make it to the NBA! Mister Irrelevant!

Mojo13
09-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Looks like 2 different signings to me. He wouldn't sign training camp deal twice.

Pelicans' Robert Sacre: Signs training camp deal with Pelicans
by RotoWire Staff Aug 11, 2016

New Orleans Pelicans (2016–present)[edit]
On September 22, 2016, Sacre signed with the New Orleans Pelicans.[15]

Also, when we were on campus today we saw a lady who is on the GU Board of Trustees and at a season opening gathering they had said he was signed by the Pelicans. (They announced where all of our former players are playing.)
ZaGranny

I am pretty sure it is the same thing and merely semantics we are talking about. The difference between announcing he had a camp invite and "will sign" versus the actuality of physically putting pen to paper which they do just before camp.

I am almost certain he has no signed deal in the sense he has guaranteed money (or partial guarantee) and a likely roster spot. He has signed a deal for a camp invite - there is a difference. He will be paid a small amount for actually being at camp, but beyond that I think there is no guaranteed money - unlike KW's partial one year guarantee of about $275K - or a fully guaranteed deal like most guys who are going to make the roster get (which in Rob's case would likely be vet minimum). He is a riskless invite to camp. A big body to help push Asik and Anjica in practice and an insurance policy if any bigs get hurt in camp or preseason.

I am happy to be wrong though. I am a big fan of our Canadian ballers, but just being realistic here.
The odds are against him making the Pelicans roster but I hope to be proven wrong.

Mojo13
10-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Lot's of DNP-CDs piling up for Sacre. In pre-season no less.

Becoming more skeptical of his chances to remain in the NBA.

willandi
10-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Lot's of DNP-CDs piling up for Sacre. In pre-season no less.

Becoming more skeptical of his chances to remain in the NBA.

I agree. On the other hand, they have seen what he can do and what he offers from when he was a Laker, so they may be looking at different options, not needing to see him much...but I don't really think so.

Mojo13
10-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Sacre has been sidelined for a couple games with a foot injury, so hopefully the DNP-CDs were really this injury. He is supposed to play tonight (Thursday), so hopefully he gets some minutes. He is still a high risk of not making the Pelicans roster IMO.

ZagNative
10-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Rob has been waived by the Pelicans. http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/robert-sacre-waived-by-pelicans/.

Mojo13
10-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Rob has been waived by the Pelicans. http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/robert-sacre-waived-by-pelicans/.

Dang...thats too bad, but not surprising.

I hope he doesn't waste his time in the Dleague looking for another NBA contract. He should chase some coin in China our Europe. I am curious how much his skill set would be in demand in Europe.

Bogozags
11-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Any new word on where Rob might be going next?

sullyzag66
11-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Any new word on where Rob might be going next?

I think he was in Spokane watching the SDSU game Monday night.

Bogozags
11-16-2016, 05:39 AM
While watching the game, I saw him in the stands...also heard he is practicing with the team getting read for an overseas debut.

Mojo13
12-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Any news on Sacre out there? I got nothing.

Bogozags
12-10-2016, 02:29 PM
While watching the game, I saw him in the stands...also heard he is practicing with the team getting read for an overseas debut.

I believe I saw him at the AZ game along with Kyle...no word on his status...

sittingon50
12-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Japan.

Mojo13
12-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Japan.

Can you expand on that? What team? Can you please post the source?

zagbeliever
12-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Good for him! one of my all time favorites

Zaglaw
12-13-2016, 12:07 PM
He was at the Akron game with his wife and 2 kids.

Mojo13
12-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Sacre - still not playing anywhere.
Seems to be doing guest appearances on local TV instead.

I know his prototype is going extinct in the NBA, but you'd think he could get a job playing bball is some sort of league.
I really don't see him getting another NBA gig - I hope he isnt waiting around for that.

Perhaps this is his sabbatical year?

bartruff1
12-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Said on the Few show that he had signed a contract but wasn't at liberty to say anything more until the team announced it...

Mojo13
12-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Said on the Few show that he had signed a contract but wasn't at liberty to say anything more until the team announced it...

Really? That is great news! Please post if/when you hear anything.

ZagNative
12-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Rob mentioned that the team was in Japan and had one other Zag player on it, so I'm thinking maybe Ira Brown (and previously Josh Heytvelt) team Hitachi Sunrockers. http://basketball.asia-basket.com/team/Japan/Hitachi_Sunrockers_Tokyo/2919?Page=0

I don't know what's happened to Josh, suspect injury.

Mojo13
12-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Rob mentioned that the team was in Japan and had one other Zag player on it, so I'm thinking maybe Ira Brown (and previously Josh Heytvelt) team Hitachi Sunrockers. http://basketball.asia-basket.com/team/Japan/Hitachi_Sunrockers_Tokyo/2919?Page=0

I don't know what's happened to Josh, suspect injury.

Interesting. The Japanese league is really weird with their restrictions on imports. They limit the amount of minutes they can play in a game and how many imports can be on the floor together.

Here are their rules:
Each club in the first and second divisions will be allowed up to three foreign players, including one foreign-born player who has become a naturalized Japanese citizen.[21]

In the first division, a "rule of six" will be imposed that limits the participation of foreign and naturalized players in any particular game, with the structure to be decided between the teams before each match is played. For example, a "1–1–2–2" structure will mean that one foreign player and one naturalized player is allowed on the court for each team at any given time during the first two quarters, while two players (foreign and/or naturalized) will be allowed on the court in the final two quarters. If the teams decide to adopt for example a "0–2–2–2" structure, only a naturalized player will be allowed on the court during the "0" allocated first quarter. For all matches, if overtime is required due to scores being tied at the end of regulation time, two foreign players (or one foreign and one naturalized) will be allowed on the court during the overtime period.[21]

RenoZag
12-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Sacre confirmed the move to Japan during his half-time interview with Greg Heister.

Happy for him he's still cashing checks for playing a game.