PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of a Zag Fan

drnoe
10-10-2007, 10:25 AM
I grew up in the Dayton,OH area during the 60s and much of the 70s. While there wasn’t exactly a dearth of good college hoops in the area, I was completely unable to latch on to the UD Flyers, despite their fairly rich local tradition…afterall, they did lose to UCLA in the ’67 NCAA finals. To satisfy my unquenchable desire to adopt a favorite team, my mind drifted west to UCLA. Afterall, how could I ignore the mystical charm of Wooden and the talent of Alcindor, Allen, Wicks and Rowe? Consistency, reliability, poise and greatness were attributes I couldn’t ignore. Obviously, they didn’t disappoint me until about the time Larry Brown left town.

I stuck with the Bruins up until about the time I graduated from San Diego State in 1982. The Aztecs were definitely my second favorite team and I didn’t miss a single game while I was there. I thoroughly enjoyed watching players like Tony Gwynn, Michael Cage and Eddie Gordon. Though inconsistent and many times disappointing, they were highly competitive and exciting to watch. My highlight game was when Tony Gwynn led the Aztecs to a thrilling win over Danny Ainge’s very strong and ranked BYU team. Gwynn and Cage dominated that game. It was no fluke that Gwynn was subsequently drafted by the Clippers and Cage went on to have a long, successful NBA career as one of the league’s all-time leading rebounders.

Without a favorite team, I remained a huge college hoops fanatic. It was around 1994 that I began to notice a scrappy program from the Northwest. Though I was very familiar with Stockton’s exploits at Gonzaga during the early ‘80s, I sensed something was starting to develop. I began to follow the Zags, intrigued by their potential. Amazingly, the ’98-’99 season did not seal the deal for me. I tuned in for the following season, despite Monson’s decision to leave. I quickly realized that Mark Few was one of the integral cogs in the Zags’ evolution, and there was no doubt the program was on the rise. I don’t need to bore you all with the rest, but the rest is history.

I’ve been a member of this board since February, and it’s amazing how informative and civilized things are. I’m not a prolific poster, and will only post when I have something at least halfway intelligent to say, otherwise, I’m content just reading all the great information. I post this, not to call attention to myself, but to show my appreciation for the many great contributors on this board. Needless to say, I cannot wait until the season begins. Ladies and gentlemen, the last 9 years have been amazing, but I truly believe the Zags are on the cusp of greatness…the recruiting has been phenomenal and will pay big dividends. I’m really looking forward to the Zags coming to town to play LMU and Pepperdine in January…my son and I will be there, clad in clashing Zags Gear. BTW, how do I procure a couple of those fine Kennel t-shirts?

former1dog
10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Awesome story. Thanks for becoming part of the family.

gozagswoohoo
10-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the forum drnoe! I do not believe I've met your acquaintance as of yet. Allow myself to introduce....myself.

I am Woohoo, better known as "Time Management Co-ordinator".

I am pretty much the hardest working person on this board. Most of the posters don't have jobs and they just sit here waiting for new threads to pop up all day (many of which go to special area's know only as "The Foo" to watch their own threads pop up, and then reply to their own thread...over and over and over). You may want to watch out for those wierdos. otherwise, glad to have you aboard.

ZagNative
10-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Welcome, Drnoe! You've seen the Gonzaga legend grow, and now here you are again at the birth of another legend, the fabulous Woohoo!

LongIslandZagFan
10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Welcome, Drnoe! You've seen the Gonzaga legend grow, and now here you are again at the birth of another legend, the fabulous Woohoo!

In his own mind at least. ;)

UberZagFan
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Keep posting drnoe!!

Uber is one of the weirdos that Woohoo speaks of....but no need to watch out for anything except the wise advice given by Uber in his multitude of posts.

Uber almost forgot that Gwynn was drafted by the Clippers. Amazing athlete. Star point guard and Hall of Famer baseball player. Anyone seen him in the booth during the playoffs? Not that he was a specimen of fitness during his playing days but it sure looks like he hasn't missed a meal in retirement.

gozagswoohoo
10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
In his own mind at least. ;)

What else is there??

GonzagaGurl08
10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Welcome to the forum drnoe! I do not believe I've met your acquaintance as of yet. Allow myself to introduce....myself.

I am Woohoo, better known as "Time Management Co-ordinator".

I am pretty much the hardest working person on this board. Most of the posters don't have jobs and they just sit here waiting for new threads to pop up all day (many of which go to special area's know only as "The Foo" to watch their own threads pop up, and then reply to their own thread...over and over and over). You may want to watch out for those wierdos. otherwise, glad to have you aboard.

Time Management coordinator my @$$. Woohoo can't even properly figure out what time games are on in his timezone. Remember Woohoo just add two to the PST listing to get CST.

zaguarxj
10-10-2007, 12:21 PM
You mean the 1978 NCAA tourney upset victory by Miami Ohio over a highly ranked Marquette team didn't turn you into a Redskins (I mean Redhawks) fan? They're just right down the road from Dayton.

gozagswoohoo
10-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Time Management coordinator my @$$. Woohoo can't even properly figure out what time games are on in his timezone. Remember Woohoo just add two to the PST listing to get CST.

Hey! :mecry:

drnoe
10-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Uber is one of the weirdos that Woohoo speaks of....but no need to watch out for anything except the wise advice given by Uber in his multitude of posts.

Uber almost forgot that Gwynn was drafted by the Clippers. Amazing athlete. Star point guard and Hall of Famer baseball player. Anyone seen him in the booth during the playoffs? Not that he was a specimen of fitness during his playing days but it sure looks like he hasn't missed a meal in retirement.

Uber,

I've had the pleasure of meeting all the zany characters on this board through their posts. Perhaps one of these days, I'll run into at least some of you down here when the Zags play at LMU and Pepperdine.

You're right about Gwynn...truly an amazing athlete. He is now a food giant, but then he was chubby as a point guard. He has done a pretty good job as an analyst on the TBS baseball coverage. Fellow SDSU grad, Marshall Faulk, will soon join him as a hall of famer.

Here's to a great season!

MBZags
10-10-2007, 03:03 PM
What a small world. I'm from Centerville, Ohio, and my dad is a UD alum. Yet somehow, we've both ended up Gonzaga fans.

GreenStreetElite
10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I just follow woo hoo around and see what kind of funny crap woo hoo can come up with... yes there is good input from woo hoo but man is woo hoo funny and always entertaining

UberZagFan
10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I just follow woo hoo around and see what kind of funny crap woo hoo can come up with... yes there is good input from woo hoo but man is woo hoo funny and always entertaining

Woohoo has a fanclub? Where can Uber sign up? www.woohoofanclub.com?

HillBillyZag
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM
As a fellow Buckeye I welcome you to the board.

JLGutrocks
10-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Evolution of a Zag fan

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m180/JLGutrocks/evolution.jpg

gozagswoohoo
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Woohoo has a fanclub? Where can Uber sign up? www.woohoofanclub.com?

GreenStreetElite- I have just appointed you Co-Founder and Co-Conspirator of the woohoofanclub. Thanks! And Congrats!

Birddog
10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I have just appointed you Co-Founder and Co-Conspirator of the woohoofanclub

What's a co-conspirator? I tried looking it up but had no luck. Maybe it's in the "Book of Redundancy" book.

Birddog

gozagswoohoo
10-10-2007, 06:32 PM
What's a co-conspirator? I tried looking it up but had no luck. Maybe it's in the "Book of Redundancy" book.

Birddog

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20060428-9999-1n28duke.html

SteeleMan
10-10-2007, 08:04 PM
"I’ve been a member of this board since February, and it’s amazing how informative and civilized things are."

that's what makes it very unique here. this is the place i come to get the news first and sometimes am too quick to post something that I think I know, and even when doing so and the news may not be all that true, I am not degraded by those here.

GonzagaGurl08
10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey! :mecry:

Woohoo, you know I was just pulling your leg. You should know by now that I'm not a very mean person. I was just warning our new poster not to look to you for game times. Woohoo we still love you.