PDA

View Full Version : 2016-17 CBT Expert Picks--Zags show up in 2 of 4 lists

Zagdawg
09-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 11m11 minutes ago
Gonzaga predicted as a Final 4 team in 2016-17 by 2 of the 4 experts at @CBTonNBC: @phillipshoops & @RobDauster

NBC Sports

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/09/27/2016-2017-season-preview-college-basketball-expert-picks/

CdAZagFan
09-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Pretty amazing - Speaks volumes when you think of the talent we lost from last year.

TexasZagFan
09-27-2016, 09:08 AM
Pretty amazing - Speaks volumes when you think of the talent we lost from last year.

Very surprising, when you consider that SMC has all 5 starters back...:drool:

Goshzagit
09-27-2016, 09:23 AM
There are less than a handful of programs in College hoops today that could lose 4 of 5 starters, & 2 All-Americans, & be picked to make the Final 4 the following year.

its absurb yet also amazing no matter the experts picking.

Not many teams could sustain those losses, & still be considered "Top 10" level.

I personally feel this team has a way to go. Talented, no doubt, versatile, athletic, great backcourt, defensive minded, etc, but a ton will be determined by chemistry, accepting new roles, Karno's health, Collins development, perimeter shooting, & rebounding consistently.

Guys like JWIII didnt touch the court all Summer due to injury...

There were games last season Wiltjer & Sabonis accounted for over 90% of scoring. HUGE shoes to fill in more ways than one.

Our team has crazy upside and ability, yet getting them all to buy in & play together is another thing.

I will say this...there are several "Alpha Dogs" on this squad, who are looking to get fed & prove themselves.

Guys like NWG, Karno, even JWIII are looking for redemption & to play/score at a high level.

Sometimes a pack works better with more betas than Alphas.

They have to buy in. All of them or it could work agaisnt the entire team.

I have hope they will put their personal egos aside for the W, but i do think it will take time to realize roles.

Not a single role has been decided, save Perkins, & even he is playing a new position this yr!

Be patient with this group.

MDABE80
09-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Very good post Gosh......I agree. Karno's nice to have but we are loaded in the front and the back. Might be a saving grace to have multiple talented bigs to spell/work with Karno. The guard corp looks to be devastating. Not sure how we got here but this team probably has a s much talent as anyone else. TEAMS are built.
I think the screening Few and staff does indicated we have team players. If they don't have that psychological makeup, they usually never appear in our uniform. 6 weeks till tip.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Great post Goshzagit.

Talent level of the individual Zag players this season is very very promising, but how well they become a team and become Zags (grit, hustle, toughness, smart hoops etc) will be the key.

Had not realized JWIII was not healthy all summer...he, NWG and PK all trying to bounce back from injury means it is far from a given how they will perform this season. Lots of D1 ballers have been working hard all spring/summer for this season. ZagNation has to be prepared for some bumps in the regular season road as this team develops an identity. As much as I like Reborn's riding a bike analogy, absurd to believe guys who missed several months of practice and skill development will perform equally well or better than their D1 peers who have worked hard all offseason.
As high as my hopes are for this team, I will not be at all surprised if they struggle early and as a result need to win WCC tourney to relax on Selection Sunday.

CDC84
09-27-2016, 12:40 PM
As usual, Gonzaga's inverted schedule will not allow them to sit at home and play a number of guarantee games to allow all the new guys to gel. They need to get it together quickly and win games. Hopefully the talent will allow them to get to the winner's circle while the team continues to improve.

GonzaGAW
09-27-2016, 06:41 PM
this is great for the kool aid drinkers like myself, but I do take this with a grain of salt, in as much as one the guys who predicts Gonzaga in the final four, also predicts Romar as pac 12 coach of the year.

DixieZag
09-27-2016, 06:50 PM
As usual, Gonzaga's inverted schedule will not allow them to sit at home and play a number of guarantee games to allow all the new guys to gel. They need to get it together quickly and win games. Hopefully the talent will allow them to get to the winner's circle while the team continues to improve.

Yep.

We have less of a buffer to let our guys "play through mistakes" the way an ACC or Big 10 team can - knowing that in February they'll be chalking up quality wins no matter what happens in the first week of December.

As you say, it's always been this way - hopefully they gel quick and get those crucial early "big games."

Heady stuff - again.

thespywhozaggedme
09-28-2016, 05:36 AM
There are less than a handful of programs in College hoops today that could lose 4 of 5 starters, & 2 All-Americans, & be picked to make the Final 4 the following year.

its absurb yet also amazing no matter the experts picking.

Not many teams could sustain those losses, & still be considered "Top 10" level.

I personally feel this team has a way to go. Talented, no doubt, versatile, athletic, great backcourt, defensive minded, etc, but a ton will be determined by chemistry, accepting new roles, Karno's health, Collins development, perimeter shooting, & rebounding consistently.

Guys like JWIII didnt touch the court all Summer due to injury...

There were games last season Wiltjer & Sabonis accounted for over 90% of scoring. HUGE shoes to fill in more ways than one.

Our team has crazy upside and ability, yet getting them all to buy in & play together is another thing.

I will say this...there are several "Alpha Dogs" on this squad, who are looking to get fed & prove themselves.

Guys like NWG, Karno, even JWIII are looking for redemption & to play/score at a high level.

They have to buy in. All of them or it could work agaisnt the entire team.

I have hope they will put their personal egos aside for the W, but i do think it will take time to realize roles.

Not a single role has been decided, save Perkins, & even he is playing a new position this yr!

Be patient with this group.

Perkins will be the pg

TexasZagFan
09-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Perkins will be the pg

For the benefit of newcomers to this forum, he's also known as "Jenks". :lmao:

LongIslandZagFan
09-28-2016, 08:03 AM
For the benefit of newcomers to this forum, he's also known as "Jenks". :lmao:
:roll:

well played sir.

MontanaCoyote
09-28-2016, 09:50 AM
For sure, no "sleeper" status this year. I agree that it will take a little time for team chemistry to be firmly established. But I harbor no doubts that it will be. The quality of our kids, beyond their abilities as players, tells me this IS the way it will be.
They DID choose Gonzaga after all.

cggonzaga
09-28-2016, 11:45 AM

4 of their first 5 games are cupcake city. Hopefully they'll get their legs under them before the meat of the schedule starts.

maynard g krebs
09-28-2016, 04:07 PM

I don't think this is going to be a problem. NWG and Karno are both high IQ players and who will make the right pass as opposed to playing selfishly. Given a few games to iron out the inevitable kinks with a largely new lineup, I expect to see a smooth running operation for the bulk of the year, assuming Karno is healthy. It starts with the guards, and they are an elite group nationally.

maynard g krebs
09-28-2016, 04:15 PM
Perkins will be the pg

Decades ago, teams just played with two guards who were basically interchangeable- Frazier/Monroe, Goodrich/Hazzard etc.
I think this will be the case with NWG and JP. Get the ball to either one and push it up the floor as fast as possible. In the half court, both are adept at both scoring and facilitating. Don't think it really matters.

Mantua
09-28-2016, 09:04 PM
this is great for the kool aid drinkers like myself, but I do take this with a grain of salt, in as much as one the guys who predicts Gonzaga in the final four, also predicts Romar as pac 12 coach of the year.

All of this early preview stuff is ridiculous, especially for schools west of the Mississippi.

As far as Zag fan conjecture goes, let's just bathe in happy anticipation until we see them play.

MJGoGaels
09-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Very surprising, when you consider that SMC has all 5 starters back...:drool:

Just a friendly FYI and for what its worth (nothing!), your own John Blanchette of SR picked (via the Lindy's publication), Saint Mary's over GU. It should be a good (again) but look out for BYU to swing the finish one or the other for regular season WCC title.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtYmgr5VYAAkbuk.jpg

strikenowhere
09-30-2016, 12:43 PM
Just a friendly FYI and for what its worth (nothing!), your own John Blanchette of SR picked (via the Lindy's publication), Saint Mary's over GU. It should be a good (again) but look out for BYU to swing the finish one or the other for regular season WCC title.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtYmgr5VYAAkbuk.jpg

I don't see how the Gael's could possibly compare favorably on paper to this team.

Zagdawg
09-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Blanchette looking to motivate the boys a bit----thank goodness that is why we play the games on the court .....I know a lot of teams that look great on paper but get em on the court and you still need to put the ball in the hoop --- Gonzaga is fairly good at putting the ball in the hoop and keeping opposing teams from doing so.

Go Zags

cjm720
09-30-2016, 01:34 PM
I don't see how the Gael's could possibly compare favorably on paper to this team.

They have all 5 starters back and we only have two...and they beat us twice last year. We have the better recruits but they have a very strong program and team.

Coach Crazy
09-30-2016, 02:27 PM
They have all 5 starters back and we only have two...and they beat us twice last year. We have the better recruits but they have a very strong program and team.

Meh. That was the least chemistry and most injury impact we have seen in some yeas. Even in that, SMC only managed to win both by a combined 8 points. Then on the biggest WCC stage, Gonzaga took care of business. If Karnowski would have been there, that may have been enough for a sweep.

Now, could there be a chemistry factor early on? Sure. But we're talking about a bit different of a situation. I don't anticipate even Josh not being 100% affecting this season the way it did, last year. NWG and Mathews are variables that are not unreasonable in that argument.

As well, Mt. K, J3, and ZC are all shot blockers. Will be a very different looking front line, defensively. That has the potential to affect how SMC plays us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seacatfan
09-30-2016, 04:08 PM

Yeah, but weren't they replacing 4 or 5 starters heading into last year? That lack of returning experienced players didn't hurt them at all, they were better than they had been the previous season.

MontanaCoyote
09-30-2016, 05:12 PM
I think we all know SMC will be better than good. That's not bad. We need the competition. I do like that we get 'um first in Spokane.
Think we win that one. Second game on their court should be a real test. Can't play tough unless tested, and you got to play tough to be a Final Four team.

gonzagafan62
09-30-2016, 06:05 PM
Why all the hype on SMC? They're a team returning all 5 starters on a non tournament team that won't beat Gonzaga once this time. BYU is way scarier. Always harder to beat them then SMC

sittingon50
09-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Why all the hype on SMC? They're a team returning all 5 starters on a non tournament team that won't beat Gonzaga once this time. BYU is way scarier. Always harder to beat them then SMC

Forget the Tourney. Return all 5 starters on a team that won a share of the WCC title last year & that came into the Kennel late in the season & won. They will (again) be better than BYU, IMO.

Kiddwell
09-30-2016, 08:18 PM
Kiddwell can see BYU going into Moraga and beating the Gaels, but can't see SMC going into Provo and beating the Cougars. Therefore, the WCC's heavy hitters will be GU, BYU, and SMC in that order. All, in The Kiddmeister's opinion, dance.

This is gonna be a great year for the West Coasters. :adored:

:]

maynard g krebs
09-30-2016, 09:25 PM
SMC might have been run down at the end of last year due to lack of depth, esp in the backcourt. It sounds like at least a couple of the new guys are good enough to contribute this year. I would expect them to be a better team than BYU, unless BYU decides to pay the slightest attention to the defensive end of the floor. There's enough history of SMC finishing ahead of BYU to make that a reasonable expectation imo.

As to Blanchette, I read the Lindy's writeups and didn't see where it said Blanchette picked SMC over the Zags. I would guess others on the Lindy's staff picked their top 25- probably done by committee, so it didn't seem that SMC at 18 and the Zags at 20 was Blanchette's call. He just wrote the articles on the teams.

sittingon50
09-30-2016, 11:49 PM
As to Blanchette, I read the Lindy's writeups and didn't see where it said Blanchette picked SMC over the Zags. I would guess others on the Lindy's staff picked their top 25- probably done by committee, so it didn't seem that SMC at 18 and the Zags at 20 was Blanchette's call. He just wrote the articles on the teams.[/QUOTE]

I interpreted it the same way, maynard.

bigblahla
10-01-2016, 05:22 AM
Forget the Tourney. Return all 5 starters on a team that won a share of the WCC title last year & that came into the Kennel late in the season & won. They will (again) be better than BYU, IMO.

Right there with you 50.....I question how some here under rate Naar it's like they don't see what he does on the floor....crafty like Captain Matt was and Blake Stepp, he knows the game....what Gollum's minions of Moraga lack in athleticism they make up for in TEAM play and offensive fire power...SMC will be tough in every game they play unless a wheel comes off....and that can happen on any night to any team...

Go!! Zags!!!

amaronizag
10-01-2016, 08:21 AM
I think Randy Bennett is a great coach who gets a lot of the material he has to work with. I love playing St. Mary's. But I have to say "Gollum's minions" is some pretty funny stuff!!!