PDA

View Full Version : Karnowski fully recovered

krii
09-26-2016, 11:14 AM
https://twitter.com/BustingBrackets/status/780446351272341504

According to @JonRothstein, Przemek Karnowski (back) will be fully cleared for the start of practice.

That's a huge news! It basically means we can expect fully recovered Karno from the very beginning!

DukeSilver
09-26-2016, 11:21 AM
https://twitter.com/BustingBrackets/status/780446351272341504

That's a huge news! It basically means we can expect fully recovered Karno from the very beginning!

Being medically cleared does not necessarily mean that it will be the same ol' Karno out there from the get-go ... It's positive news, to be sure, but we don't yet know how his prolonged recovery has affected his conditioning and playing ability.

I'm sticking with cautious optimism.

Reborn
09-26-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm going with FULLY recovered. He'll get in shape and he'll continue to be very, very good. Once you have learned how to play the game like Karnowski has, you don't have to relearn how to play. It's like riding a bike. Let's say you can't ride a bike for a year. You just get back on and ride off into the sunset yelling and screaming because you're so happy you can ride again. I play guitar. Let's say I lay off for a whole year. When I pick it up a year later I can play quite well, and in a couple days I'm back playing just like I used to.

When I see those words fully recovered I feel like once Karno returns to playing that he won't even be thinking about his injury. I broke my ankle my Sophomore year playing football. When I began playing again my Junior and Senior year I never once thought about my ankle. I just made sure I taped them up for every practice and every game, and I taped them for basketball too.

cjm720
09-26-2016, 02:42 PM
This is literally huge!!! The paint just got a lot smaller for opponents! Way to go PK!!!

Zagdawg
09-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Fully cleared does not equal fully recovered -- but I am very happy that he is working out with the team and moving in the right direction.

Reborn
09-26-2016, 03:31 PM
Fully cleared does not equal fully recovered -- but I am very happy that he is working out with the team and moving in the right direction.

Mmmmm. Why would someone say a person is fully cleared if he or she were not fully recovered. Why use the word FULLY?

mgadfly
09-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Mmmmm. Why would someone say a person is fully cleared if he or she were not fully recovered. Why use the word FULLY?

I don't know if this is how it works everywhere but as a player and coach the term fully cleared applied to the end stages of rehabbing. For example, player sprains knee in game and is injured. Later he is cleared for some activities with the team (in football, this did not include contact drills for example but may include riding the bike, certain conditioning exercises, etc...). When the injury is healed he is fully cleared to practice (all activities including contact and full speed drills). That definitely does not mean fully recovered in the sense that they are ready to go from day one. It depends on the injury and what limitations the player has on them during the rehab period. I broke my arm once and came back in better shape than when I had left. I broke my leg once and even after I was fully cleared to play it took about five weeks for me to get comfortable hitting and a few weeks to get the conditioning back.

I'd expect he has some work to do to get from fully cleared to where he was. But great news.

Reborn
09-26-2016, 04:46 PM
I don't know if this is how it works everywhere but as a player and coach the term fully cleared applied to the end stages of rehabbing. For example, player sprains knee in game and is injured. Later he is cleared for some activities with the team (in football, this did not include contact drills for example but may include riding the bike, certain conditioning exercises, etc...). When the injury is healed he is fully cleared to practice (all activities including contact and full speed drills). That definitely does not mean fully recovered in the sense that they are ready to go from day one. It depends on the injury and what limitations the player has on them during the rehab period. I broke my arm once and came back in better shape than when I had left. I broke my leg once and even after I was fully cleared to play it took about five weeks for me to get comfortable hitting and a few weeks to get the conditioning back.

I'd expect he has some work to do to get from fully cleared to where he was. But great news.

Thanks for your patience.

soccerdud
09-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Thanks for your patience.

to take it one step farther: fully cleared means he has no medical limitation on his basketball activities. it means that those activities are thought to carry no exceptional additional risk to his health (tho playing any sport at all carries some risk).

"fully recovered" makes it seem like as though he's back to where he was. he almost certainly is short some strength and conditioning, and a little rust in terms of skills and muscle memory is to be expected. he may still be in slight-to-moderate discomfort, at least during some activities. however, as others have said, he looks good in the pics i've seen, so he could well be in better overall physical shape for much of the season regardless of whether he's there yet.

MontanaCoyote
09-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Time will tell, but good news is good news and this is good news. I've said for some time that "Karno's The Key" for the Zag's this season. "That's my line and I'm sticking to it."

OZZY
09-26-2016, 07:18 PM
In Karno I trust....

:)

Go big guy!

gonzagafan62
09-26-2016, 10:08 PM
If karno is fully cleared NOW.... I have ZERO concerns about his conditioning or anything else to get to game shape. He should be ready in a month and a half for some tune up games. The big fella is back and I'm sure the rest and relaxation will only help him. Giddy Up 409!

MontanaCoyote
09-27-2016, 08:16 AM
If karno is fully cleared NOW.... I have ZERO concerns about his conditioning or anything else to get to game shape. He should be ready in a month and a half for some tune up games. The big fella is back and I'm sure the rest and relaxation will only help him. Giddy Up 409!

Hey, I'm upping it. 455 Rocket. I think only highway patrol cars had it, but could be wrong. A Mountain with a 455. Whoa!

MDABE80
09-27-2016, 09:46 AM
Always a concern going forward. This is a snapshot finding. Everything looks good as of now. Let's see how our big man does over the course of a season. In some ways, he's here to increase his NBA stock. He's got this last year. I'm thinking he'll go all out. He's lost weight just as he did 2 summers ago when he became nimble, jumped much better and so on. I wish him the best. Hope his back holds up.

DukeSilver
10-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 3h3 hours ago
Few on Karnowski (pt. 1): "We’ve seen some real flashes. It’s encouraging & it’s heartwarming when you know where he was at last December.”

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 3h3 hours ago
Few on Karno (pt. 2): "As far as plugging him into a full season of college basketball, he has a ways to go. We have to get him in shape."

Exactly what I was trying to get at before.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Exactly what I was trying to get at before.

I'm hoping Edwards steps up and earns PK's minutes during early season while Karnowski is getting into shape. Teams can't really practice for a 7'1" behemoth in the paint unless they have one on their team to practice against...Zags have two. Edwards wouldn't surprise me by playing well and staying in the rotation this season

Zagger
10-03-2016, 04:45 AM
I'm hoping Edwards steps up and earns PK's minutes during early season while Karnowski is getting into shape. Teams can't really practice for a 7'1" behemoth in the paint unless they have one on their team to practice against...Zags have two. Edwards wouldn't surprise me by playing well and staying in the rotation this season
If Edwards has upped his game (and I certainly expect he has) it'll only help both Mt. K and the team. Zag skill base on the floor AND on the bench has got to be daunting for all competitors. What I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with in both Edwards and Karnowski is their quickness. Karnowski's back wasn't an all-of-a-sudden eliminator last season. It was somewhat progressive. If K is really well healed up he's going to move like we've not seen him move in some time. Edwards, if he's in darn good shape just may be a bit quicker himself. The Zags are going to be VERY formidable. With all the Freshman they may make a few mistakes but I'll bet the speed we see in the Zags is going to be thrilling - especially with Mt. K's ability to dish the ball out near the basket.

jim77
10-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Hey, I'm upping it. 455 Rocket. I think only highway patrol cars had it, but could be wrong. A Mountain with a 455. Whoa!

Nope....my dad's 73 Olds custom cruiser had it too.

MontanaCoyote
10-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Nope....my dad's 73 Olds custom cruiser had it too.

Man, what a ride! Made To Burn. Sounds like Karno needs a little tune up, but he'll be ready.

Zagdawg
10-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Which players injured last season will make the strongest comebacks?

"Gonzaga center Przemek Karnowski started a combined 72 of 73 games in his sophomore and junior seasons, but managed just five games last season before being sidelined with a back injury. His decision to return to the Zags will help compensate for the frontcourt losses of Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis. So though the Bulldogs will be perimeter heavy this season, Karnowski -- a career 60 percent shooter from the floor -- will give them a solid inside option."

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/116147/which-players-injured-last-season-will-make-the-strongest-comebacks