PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Definition of Success for the 2016-2017 Season?

tyra
09-25-2016, 08:56 PM
I ask this question every year but this year, it seems as though we have less to go on than usual with Shem's back and how all this talent and all these newcomers will come together. But let's give it a try. And maybe a thought or two on why you picked your particular definition of success.

TexasZagFan
09-26-2016, 05:10 AM
I ask this question every year but this year, it seems as though we have less to go on than usual with Shem's back and how all this talent and all these newcomers will come together. But let's give it a try. And maybe a thought or two on why you picked your particular definition of success.

Final Four...there I said it.

bartruff1
09-26-2016, 05:47 AM
Compete in the Conference....get to the championship game in the WCC Tourney.....go to the NCAA....the rest is a crap shoot....anymore is a bonus to me.....

there have been teams that have barely made the tourney and went on to play for the National Championship ...and teams that were solid favorites to win who didn't make it to the second weekend...

That is why they call it March Madness and why it is one of the greatest sporting events of the year...

LongIslandZagFan
09-26-2016, 05:58 AM
Win Conference... first and foremost. Ceiling could be very high for this team... but much of it will depend on seeding and matchups. This team could go into the tourney with 1 or undefested and be a one seed, could also go into the tourney with 5-6 losses and be a middling seed. Barring injuries, I don't suspect that they'd do any worse than the latter. Assuming the get the latter of the two scenarios, I would be happy with a S16 or E8 run.

Just want everyone healthy in March.

stevet75
09-26-2016, 06:09 AM
I would be okay with a sweet 16, but my expectations are a little higher. I think it will take a couple of months for this team to come together, much like last year, but with a higher ceiling.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-26-2016, 06:15 AM
Win WCC regular season and tournament. Dance. The tourney itself is such a mess that I can't set the bar for our success on how far we make it.

I could see this season going a lot like last. Really, I think there is more room for concern going into this season.

Last year we had an experienced transfer guard, three proven studs down low, and promising newcomers.

This year we have an experienced transfer guard, an experienced sophomore guard and a bunch of newcomers. Really it's a lot like last year's team minus two amazing big men. Of course there is Karno but we have no idea what his season will look like.

I think NWG and Perkins will right the ship sooner than we did last year and I expect this team to look awesome come WCC play. Could be some rough games early, though.

Zagdawg
09-26-2016, 06:18 AM
No injuries, team gells, we see some great basketball from our new and young guns, we win another WCC title and make it through the first weekend of the dance.

Goshzagit
09-26-2016, 06:28 AM
No injuries, team gells, we see some great basketball from our new and young guns, we win another WCC title and make it through the first weekend of the dance.

this to a T.

bigblahla
09-26-2016, 06:36 AM
Show well in the OOC portion of the schedule....sweep the WCC, including tournament title in Vegas, a very very tough task this season....enter the Dance as a 2 or 3 seed, perform up to the seed make the Elite 8 and see where the chips fall after the Elite 8 game....the talent is there to play for and win it all but IMO the stars do have to align for a final four appearance and national championship this season...gonna be another amazing ride as a Gonzaga fan(atic)...

Go!! Zags!!!

amaronizag
09-26-2016, 06:50 AM
It's really hard to get my mind around all of the depth and talent we have this year. But lots of guys that are new to the system. I hope staff resists the temptation to have players on the yoyo string, jerking them in and out after every mistake, but instead show patience to let them grow, gain valuable playing experience, and learn the system. If we can get the new guys playing with confidence and experience by the end of the regular season, we could go far in March. Final Four baby. Advocare in late November (two months) will show their potential and what they need to work on before March. Can't wait!!!!

jazzdelmar
09-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Harmony.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
09-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Final Four from here on out, for this season and beyond until we get there.

We've done everything else.

GoZags
09-26-2016, 07:36 AM
Continue to do things the right way ... continue to make our Community proud of the way they "represent" Gonzaga University .... continue the "streak" to 20+ consecutive WCC tourney finals ... continue the "streak" to 19 consecutive NCAA tourneys ... and to continue the "streak" to 3 "2nd weekends or beyond" in the dance.

RenoZag
09-26-2016, 07:45 AM
Keep out of "the bubble" conversation come March. Last year's close call was unsettling.

Otherwise, my expectations mirror GoZags' above.

Looking forward to another great season of Gonzaga basketball and reading this forum's reactions, hopes, analysis, and observations.

gonzagafan62
09-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Win WCC, Win conference tournament and beat Arizona. After that is icing.

TexasZagFan
09-26-2016, 08:22 AM
Harmony.

That's such a lonely word...

LongIslandZagFan
09-26-2016, 08:28 AM
That's such a lonely word...

One is the loneliest number. ;)

TexasZagFan
09-26-2016, 09:07 AM
One is the loneliest number. ;)

http://www.blessedquietness.com/egg-on-face.jpg

Should've checked before posting, I got the wrong name for a Billy Joel song.

TexasZagFan
09-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Final Four from here on out, for this season and beyond until we get there.

We've done everything else.

We've got the horses to do it.

I'd really like to see us go undefeated in WCC, win the tournament, and during the discussions surrounding BYU & SMC as bubble teams, the analysts speak of the "quality losses" against the Zags.

phxfireflames
09-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Few does 3+ handstands during the season

Reborn
09-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Gonzaga has lost 4 starters, and two of them could score 20 or more points on any given night. Three of the starters who left were seniors. This will be a very inexperienced team. There is a lot of talent on this team. The question is, can they play as a team? Fortunately, 3 of the new guys were red-shirts last year; so they have been in the Gonzaga system for a year now. Gonzaga will also have two transfer players who were very successful at the D1 level. So they both bring a lot of experience in D1 ball to the team (Williams-Goss and Mathews). Because Gonzaga has very good players who came to Gonzaga to go deep into the NCAA Tournament, I believe it's going to be the goal of our team to go to the Final Four. I think if they do not make it to the Final Four that some players will feel that it was not a successful season.

For me it's still too early to give a rational statement about how successful I think this team will be. I want to see them play in that tournament first. At this point of season my GUESS would be that if they make it to the Sweet 16 it would be a very successful year. At this time, I just don't know if we have two guys who can score like Sabonis and Wiltjer, and I don't know if we have a "lunch pail" guy like Kyle Dranginis. If we have these kind of players they'll go further than my early prediction for sure.

Reborn
09-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Harmony.

I agree with you, Jazz. If this teams is able to achieve that, they will go very far.

TexasZagFan
09-26-2016, 11:02 AM
Gonzaga has lost 4 starters, and two of them could score 20 or more points on any given night. Three of the starters who left were seniors. This will be a very inexperienced team. There is a lot of talent on this team. The question is, can they play as a team? Fortunately, 3 of the new guys were red-shirts last year; so they have been in the Gonzaga system for a year now. Gonzaga will also have two transfer players who were very successful at the D1 level. So they both bring a lot of experience in D1 ball to the team (Williams-Goss and Mathews). Because Gonzaga has very good players who came to Gonzaga to go deep into the NCAA Tournament, I believe it's going to be the goal of our team to go to the Final Four. I think if they do not make it to the Final Four that some players will feel that it was not a successful season.

For me it's still too early to give a rational statement about how successful I think this team will be. I want to see them play in that tournament first. At this point of season my GUESS would be that if they make it to the Sweet 16 it would be a very successful year. At this time, I just don't know if we have two guys who can score like Sabonis and Wiltjer, and I don't know if we have a "lunch pail" guy like Kyle Dranginis. If we have these kind of players they'll go further than my early prediction for sure.

Feel free to make an irrational statement... ;)

maynard g krebs
09-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Win the league and make the second weekend of the tourney. Beyond that is gravy. Only thing that would disappoint me is to miss out on the week of anticipation of sweet 16 and potential elite 8 matchups.

Mr Vulture
09-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Pretty easy for me. Win the conference, win the conference tournament, and make it to at least the Sweet Sixteen. Anything more than that is a bonus, which I do think this team could attain, but the NCAA's definately have a level of luck that make them a crapshoot after the first weekend.

Mr Vulture
09-26-2016, 11:47 AM
I hear what you are saying Reborn, and I respect your thoughts on here, but I don't think I would describe this team as inexperienced. It's likely going to take some time to peak with the guys learning to play with each other, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but the transfers have pretty good experience as do Perk, Melson, and Karno.

dan71w
09-26-2016, 12:08 PM
For me, no injuries, the team has fun and enjoys their time at Gonzaga and make Spokane the place they call home even after graduations or moving foreword in there lives.
My secret wish, Gonzaga lays a smack down of revenge on St. Maries, just to show who's the boss of the WCC. :) :) :)
Every game is a gift, win or loose it is successful just that we get to watch on TV; there was a time when we could not catch our games on TV.

Reborn
09-26-2016, 02:29 PM
I hear what you are saying Reborn, and I respect your thoughts on here, but I don't think I would describe this team as inexperienced. It's likely going to take some time to peak with the guys learning to play with each other, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but the transfers have pretty good experience as do Perk, Melson, and Karno.

Yeah! I know what you mean. Using the name inexperienced was a poor choice of words. I think a better way of saying it would be inexperienced playing TOGETHER. Even PK will be playing with guys he has played with very little in games. We have 3 or 4 upper classmen with both experience and talent at the D1 level but they have not played together as Zags. For some of them their roles on a team may change now that theyre at Gonzaga. This is why I can only guess right now about how successful this team can be. I am cautiously optimistic about the chances of Gonzaga reaching the Sweet 16. I feel I'll know a lot more about this team after the Advocare International tournament that they play in.

bartruff1
09-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Pretty easy for me. Win the conference, win the conference tournament, and make it to at least the Sweet Sixteen. Anything more than that is a bonus, which I do think this team could attain, but the NCAA's definately have a level of luck that make them a crapshoot after the first weekend.

It would help if they could learn to make threes in those football stadiums the later rounds are played in....

gonzagafan62
09-26-2016, 04:18 PM

I agree

willandi
09-26-2016, 05:30 PM
MY definition of success is win the WCC and make it to the tournament.

My expectations are that they win both the regular season crown and the WCC tourney championship and make it to the round of 32.

My hopes are the above and get to the E8

and my fantasy is FF and beyond!

MontanaCoyote
09-26-2016, 05:42 PM
Show well in the OOC portion of the schedule....sweep the WCC, including tournament title in Vegas, a very very tough task this season....enter the Dance as a 2 or 3 seed, perform up to the seed make the Elite 8 and see where the chips fall after the Elite 8 game....the talent is there to play for and win it all but IMO the stars do have to align for a final four appearance and national championship this season...gonna be another amazing ride as a Gonzaga fan(atic)...

Go!! Zags!!!

DITTO!

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-26-2016, 05:53 PM
This team has great talent and depth. There is enough talent and depth to overcome an injury or two. There is enough diversity of skills on this team to play different styles based on matchups. This team should be equipped to win thirty games and make a deep tournament run. I hope for a Final Four.

zagamatic
09-26-2016, 09:28 PM
I would LIKE to see zero losses to Arizona, San Francisco and Santa Clara (with the 2 conference foes just being a thorn in the side each year ) I'm actually ok with splitting with St Maries and BYU as long as we get the 1 seed in the WCC tournament. Beyond that, minimal injuries and hopefully the boys have fun and are fun to watch

thespywhozaggedme
09-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Compete in the Conference....get to the championship game in the WCC Tourney.....go to the NCAA....the rest is a crap shoot....anymore is a bonus to me.....

there have been teams that have barely made the tourney and went on to play for the National Championship ...and teams that were solid favorites to win who didn't make it to the second weekend...

That is why they call it March Madness and why it is one of the greatest sporting events of the year...

Man, set the bar a little higher. For me, final four

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-27-2016, 02:20 AM
Successful season, besides generalities of health/happines/minimal amount of existential angst for all Zags, for this team imho: regular season WCC Champs; an Elite Eight game...anything more is gravy, less a disappointment.

OT: Hope Coach Few and these Zags never ever subscribe to the "NCAA tourney is such a crapshoot so we're just happy to be here" mentality. It is not a crapshoot....it is about the team playing with the most confidence and cool advancing and moving on....about playing as the hunter not the hunted..about having a confident,aggressive attitude as a team and a smart game plan everyone buys into 100%.

Bogozags
09-27-2016, 05:06 AM
Success might well be seeing Coach Few doing many more handstands after games!

stevet75
09-27-2016, 06:23 AM
Yeah, if the tournament is a crap shoot then Kentucky and Duke are playing with loaded dice. I do agree there is some luck involved.

Successful season, besides generalities of health/happines/minimal amount of existential angst for all Zags, for this team imho: regular season WCC Champs; an Elite Eight game...anything more is gravy, less a disappointment.

OT: Hope Coach Few and these Zags never ever subscribe to the "NCAA tourney is such a crapshoot so we're just happy to be here" mentality. It is not a crapshoot....it is about the team playing with the most confidence and cool advancing and moving on....about playing as the hunter not the hunted..about having a confident,aggressive attitude as a team and a smart game plan everyone buys into 100%.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-27-2016, 07:06 AM
For me, no injuries, the team has fun and enjoys their time at Gonzaga and make Spokane the place they call home even after graduations or moving foreword in there lives.
My secret wish, Gonzaga lays a smack down of revenge on St. Maries, just to show who's the boss of the WCC. :) :) :)
Every game is a gift, win or loose it is successful just that we get to watch on TV; there was a time when we could not catch our games on TV.

Zags are boss of the WCC and have been for 20 years. SMC luckily getting 2/3 ONE TIME doesn't come close to changing that. I mean, how relevant are they - you didn't even spell their name right.

MontanaCoyote
09-27-2016, 07:33 AM

Already posted my 2 bits, but "no injuries" is, if not an expectation, a profound hope.

mattydog73
09-27-2016, 11:40 AM
A solid, steady progression throughout the season. Overcoming bumps and growing from them so that they are playing their best basketball in the big dance.

Also, the NCAA Tourney is NOT a crap shoot. Of course there is a bit of luck as with most everything...however....Every team plays an opponent that presents match-up problems. The team that can best overcome their mistakes AND take advantage of their opportunities wins the NC more often than not.

CdAZagFan
09-27-2016, 01:54 PM
MY definition of success is win the WCC and make it to the tournament.

My expectations are that they win both the regular season crown and the WCC tourney championship and make it to the round of 32.

My hopes are the above and get to the E8

and my fantasy is FF and beyond!

This

gonzagafan62
09-27-2016, 04:34 PM
Zags are boss of the WCC and have been for 20 years. SMC luckily getting 2/3 ONE TIME doesn't come close to changing that. I mean, how relevant are they - you didn't even spell their name right.

Yup. Truth is proven. This is proven.

DixieZag
09-27-2016, 06:37 PM
Keep out of "the bubble" conversation come March. Last year's close call was unsettling.

Otherwise, my expectations mirror GoZags' above.

Looking forward to another great season of Gonzaga basketball and reading this forum's reactions, hopes, analysis, and observations.

http://static1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/That+man+has+a+point+you+know+_88e2e8d027f89bf749b b700735d4de37.jpeg

Zagger
09-28-2016, 10:47 AM

It'd sure be nice to see Mt. K play in each and every game with a fully healed up back :)
Go Zags!

seacatfan
09-28-2016, 02:40 PM
Gonzaga has lost 4 starters, and two of them could score 20 or more points on any given night.

Fortunately no 2 players need to replace the scoring of Wiltjer and Sabonis. Should be much more balanced scoring this season. Also while they only have 1 returning starter from the end of the season, Karno is a 2+ year starter set to come back from injury. So really only 3 lost starters and they likely will be replaced by a Sr. and two 4th year Jr. No inexperience here. Rebuilding rosters regularly is how it's done by most of the top teams in college.

GoZags
01-12-2017, 05:52 AM
My man tyra referenced this thread in a post on the current Withers thread ... so I thought I'd take a peek.

While I "bolded" my wish for 2nd weekend or beyond" I'll get a little more specific now. For the last couple of months, I've maintained it's my belief that Gonzaga would finish the year higher ranked in the AP in Men's Basketball than Washington would in football. The final AP football poll came out on Tuesday with the Huskies finishing 4th.

Thus ... it's my belief that GU WILL "beat" that ranking ... and that'll involve winning an April game in Phoenix ... so now ... in addition to getting to the Final Four it's my belief that Gonzaga will win at least one game (and hopefully two) there. As Russell Wilson so eloquently put during the '13 Super Bowl winning season ...quoting his late father ... "Why not us"

Continue to make us proud.
Continue to do things the right way ... continue to make our Community proud of the way they "represent" Gonzaga University .... continue the "streak" to 20+ consecutive WCC tourney finals ... continue the "streak" to 19 consecutive NCAA tourneys ... and to continue the "streak" to 3 "2nd weekends or beyond" in the dance.

Zagger
01-12-2017, 06:38 AM
It'd sure be nice to see Mt. K play in each and every game with a fully healed up back :)
Go Zags!
So far we're on target :) Go Mt. K!

Gonzdb8
01-12-2017, 06:42 AM
As Russell Wilson so eloquently put during the '13 Super Bowl winning season ...quoting his late father ... "Why not us"

While i am sure the late Mr. Wilson said that, the quote is originally attributable to James Allen. "For true success ask yourself these four questions: Why? Why not? Why not me? Why not now?" Sorry, the teacher in me had to make sure we got that right :-)
Also - could not agree with GoZags more...this is our year and a FF is a reasonable expectation at this point.

TexasZagFan
01-12-2017, 07:33 AM
While i am sure the late Mr. Wilson said that, the quote is originally attributable to James Allen. "For true success ask yourself these four questions: Why? Why not? Why not me? Why not now?" Sorry, the teacher in me had to make sure we got that right :-)
Also - could not agree with GoZags more...this is our year and a FF is a reasonable expectation at this point.

Russell Wilson's dead???

gonzagafan62
01-12-2017, 08:08 AM

Curt Schilling also said that too....he's just using the Washington flavor

gonzagafan62
01-12-2017, 08:08 AM
Russell Wilson's dead???

His father Tex.

ZagsObserver
01-12-2017, 08:11 AM
I think GU is a top 10 team. Are they top 4? I don't know. So, Elite 8. Final Four would be a treat.

DixieZag
01-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Winning every game has exceeded my expectations. Seeing how well they're developing, might have to raise my expectations above winning every game.

Maybe looking particularly handsome while winning every game. Maybe Rem developing an adjunct to the 3-tar. Maybe Mathews and NWG using their experience and charm conversing with a ref and convincing him to overturn a call. Something along those lines - while winning every game.

Reborn
01-12-2017, 09:03 AM

This was how I felt in September. The picture is much clearer now. 15-0. I DIDN'T REALLY EXPECT THIS. I now predict this team will make it to the final 4. WE don't have Sabonis, Wiltjer and Dranginis. But we do have 8 players who can score in double figures. PK AND NWG are becoming consistent scorers like Sabonis and Wilt were. Melson is our Dranginis-like player and perhaps better. I never came close to thinking Karnowski would be this good. Wow! 15-0. Amazing.

Keep going, Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
01-12-2017, 09:12 AM
His father Tex.

Thanks, I don't follow the Seahawks very closely, and a previous post referring to the "late Russell Wilson" was confusing to me.

O/T, was not trying to be snarky. My wife is down in El Paso for an uncle's funeral, and several of us had to stay here so as not to miss several days for work or school. He was a very good man, a beloved figure in the family. He had a long and rich life, and we all went to Houston last year for his 75th birthday party.