PDA

View Full Version : Ken Bone - Volunteer Assistant Coach

Ekrub
09-24-2016, 08:52 AM
Just retweeted by SSF:

Former Montana associate head coach Ken Bone will serve as a volunteer assistant at Gonzaga this season #GrizHoops

ZagsObserver
09-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Wow, a collection of talent on the court and sidelines. Love it!

Zags_Fanatic
09-24-2016, 09:16 AM
Nice to have a coach come on board who already knows how to win in the Kennel :)

MDABE80
09-24-2016, 09:23 AM
Welcome to Ken Bone!

sittingon50
09-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Great addition IMO.

hondo
09-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Nice to have a coach come on board who already knows how to win in the Kennel :)

Ouch! but a good one at that.

bartruff1
09-24-2016, 11:56 AM
That is amazing....I wonder why ? He might be here to not only teach, but to learn what it is that Few and Associates do to have such success ...

In any case he is a great addition to the program...

RenoZag
09-24-2016, 12:22 PM
http://sportspressnw.com/2218057/2016/ken-bone-resigns-his-montana-hoops-job

Bone, a Seattle native who spent two years at Montana after being fired by Washington State at the end of the 2013-14 season, showed interest in the head coaching job at the University of Portland that went to Terry Porter.

Bone, 57, said he may pursue another college head coaching position or a pro or college assistant’s job. He also may consider taking a break from coaching to spend time with other programs.

“There’s a chance I find something that really fits and it’s good,” Bone said. “There might be even a better chance that I don’t coach at all this year.”

Zagdawg
09-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Weird timing ----Hope his ties to Romar don't cause any issues with the games against UW that we have coming up.

Zag365
09-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Weird timing ----.

Maybe Mike Hart moving on opened up room to add Bone who, from quote, seems to be interested in working on his "game."

JPtheBeasta
09-25-2016, 12:34 PM
It won't be as bad as it would be to see Kerry Keating or Coachasaurus Rex on the GU bench, but this will take a bit for me to warm up to.

hondo
09-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Maybe Coach Bone is on a special spy assignment for the Evil Empire of the Emerald City.

Zagdawg
09-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Romar pulling out all the stops to save his job.

willandi
09-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Maybe we can get Pitino next year!

sittingon50
09-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Maybe we can get Pitino next year!

Which one?

willandi
09-25-2016, 06:04 PM
Which one?

Raul!

bigblahla
09-25-2016, 06:41 PM
Interesting as he may very well end up being a head coach in the WCC before he hangs it up....how do you beat Gonzaga?...oops, oh wait, he already did.....hard for me to swallow.... it would be the same as if by some miraculous warp in time and reality Ham San gets another year of eligibility....none of his paid experience counts and he comes to Gonzaga as a grad transfer....I could never get used to him in a Zag uniform so it's doubtful I'll get used to Bone on the bench....but I'm not Coach and regardless of what some may think he knows what he's doing...the proof is in the pudding....

I'll probably have to think about puppies when I see him on the sidelines and keep in perspective he's really not an opponent but then I'm a GU fan(atic) and that game hurt...and he still feels like an opponent to me....but then Donny Daniels saw the light and maybe so has coach Bone....at least for awhile....gonna be interesting...

Just my opinion..

Go!! Zags!!!

zag buddy
09-25-2016, 09:31 PM
I think it's a positive. Every coach has some strengths. Maybe it will be a win win for the coaching staff and the team.

bartruff1
09-25-2016, 10:20 PM
I think it's a positive. Every coach has some strengths. Maybe it will be a win win for the coaching staff and the team.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

Birddog
09-26-2016, 03:33 AM
It won't be as bad as it would be to see Kerry Keating or Coachasaurus Rex on the GU bench, but this will take a bit for me to warm up to.

Can a "volunteer Assistant Coach" even sit on the bench? My guess is that he might be allowed to sit 2nd tier. In any case, he'll add valuable experience to the staff.

JPtheBeasta
09-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Can a "volunteer Assistant Coach" even sit on the bench? My guess is that he might be allowed to sit 2nd tier. In any case, he'll add valuable experience to the staff.

It looks like you found the loophole I was looking for :)

I agree with the latter. Any coach that knows how to beat us would seem to be a valuable commodity.

maynard g krebs
09-26-2016, 11:12 AM
I think this is a great thing, as a fan of his teams at SPU when they were a D2 power and scoring 90 or 100 regularly, as well as his PSU teams. As to the "enemy" stuff in this thread, nonsense imo. He obviously has a good personal relationship with Few or this wouldn't happen.

As to beating GU in the Kennel, it's simple. You just tell your 5'6 pg to hit 7 three pointers. On that topic, I remember Bone talking about Dominguez, who averaged like 4 ppg at UP before transferring and becoming Big Sky poy. He said something to the effect that he does things that as a coach you want to tell him not to do, but it's better to just let him go and play on instincts. And it worked.

Klay Thompson at WSU is another case in point imo. Strictly a spot up shooter playing for Bennett, and became a multidimensional scorer and got to the line a lot playing for Bone, going from like 12 ppg to 20+.

Great offensive mind, and this is great news imo.

Mr Vulture
09-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Coach Bone is a good X's and O's type with his downfall being his recruiting ties as well as straight laced demeanor that doesn't particularly endear him to alumni as the face of a program. I personally think this is good for both Gonzaga and for Coach Bone. He's clearly taking a step back and it may be a good deal for him. By the way, Bone is not a spy for Romar, you can 100% count on Ken Bone's integrity.

bartruff1
09-26-2016, 12:16 PM
As I recall the loss to Portland State....the weather was so bad that there was consideration for rescheduling or even cancelling the game..... they couldn't fly here and the bus ride took something like 12 hours...it was one of the very few games I have seen Gonzaga lose because they were overconfident....at least in my opinion...

That particular Gonzaga team had very good skills but may have lacked some of that chemistry stuff...

Zagdawg
09-26-2016, 12:57 PM
The way I recall that game-- their mini point guard hit as many 3's (7-10) as our entire team (7-19) and Daye was shooting a bunch and not making much (rest of team shooting 46% from the field and Daye shot 30% --but he took 15 of the 56 shots for the game--made 5).

Not a terrible year-- 3 top 25 wins-- a sweep of St Marys and another Sweet 16 dance year ---hoping we at least get there again this year.

Zag 77
09-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Is Doug Wojcik (former Tulsa Head Coach) still a volunteer coach with GU this year?

Birddog
09-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Is Doug Wojcik (former Tulsa Head Coach) still a volunteer coach with GU this year?

I'm pretty sure he had a paid position, and was not a volunteer. He is still listed as "special Assistant to the head Coach".

GoZags
09-27-2016, 05:09 PM
That is amazing....I wonder why ? He might be here to not only teach, but to learn what it is that Few and Associates do to have such success ...

In any case he is a great addition to the program...

sdcoug seems to have knowledge about Coach Bone's rationale ...

Actually you are allowed to participate fully in practices & work with the players, and you're allowed to participate in official (on campus) visits with recruits as well. Just not off-campus recruiting or working with any athlete who doesn't live within the area. If he wasn't a volunteer & was an extra hired hand he wouldn't be able to work with players, as that would apply towards to the # of paid assistants on staff & you're limited on how many can & can't participate in a paid capacity.
I'm not sure exactly what role he'll play, but I do know he'll be working with the players & hanging around the program in general, and attending all (or at least most) games. That's a nice bonus for Few - extra coaching & insights w/out paying a dime (other than paying for his travel on road trips when he goes), and a good gig for Ken. Fairly close to home.
I understand he went for 1 HC & 1 AC gig & didn't get either - they went with "name" and "old friend" instead, respectively, and he didn't want to take anything outside of the NW (i.e. easy travel to Missoula) until his daughter graduates this year. So really narrowed his options. Next year I'm sure he'll open that up.

http://www.scout.com/college/washington-state/forums/1996-basketball-forum/14999766-re-ken-bone-lands-at-gonzaga/ms/186927936

DixieZag
09-27-2016, 06:10 PM
I always liked/respected him.

If he's a great X-Os guy, that might really add something that gets returns long into the future.

seacatfan
09-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Anybody who is worried about Bone's ties to Romar...he was head coach at WSU after that, where he was competing directly against Romar. He had a fairly brief stint at UW during a coaching career that has taken him several places. Nothing to worry about.

I think this is great for GU. He was successful everywhere he's been...except Pullman. But it's hard to win there. He certainly did better than Ernie Kent has managed so far. Tony Bennett is the only coach who has really won much of anything at WSU for the last several decades.

exclusivelee
10-18-2016, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure he had a paid position, and was not a volunteer. He is still listed as "special Assistant to the head Coach".

Doesn't appear that Doug Wojcik is still working at Gonzaga. He was removed from the Gonzaga basketball roster page a couple days after your post

In this article from the Michigan State athletics website regarding Izzo's induction into the Hall of Fame, Wojcik was there in attendance and claimed that he is "now pursuing opportunities outside of coaching" (http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091216aaa.html)

I assume Wojick and his family moved to the Indiana/Illinois area. His son, Paxson, now plays for one of the top high school programs in the country at La Lumiere in La Porte, Indiana and he's received a solid review from Eric Bossi at Rivals (https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-jackson-shines-at-la-lumiere-combine). Paxson & his younger brother Denham took an unofficial visit to Notre Dame over the weekend, along with 2018 recruit Riley Battin