PDA

View Full Version : Phil Knight Invitational Tournament --Nov 23-26 2017

Zagdawg
09-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Great lineup!

ABOUT PK80

PK80- Phil Knight Invitational will be a two-tournament menís college basketball event held in Portland, Oregon honoring Nike Co-Founder Phil Knight for his 80th Birthday and in recognition of his significant contributions to collegiate basketball. Sixteen college teams will participate in what will be the best collection of college basketball teams in one event, at a single site, in the history of the sport.

ESPN and the Rose Quarter will host one of the largest regular season tournaments in college basketball history with games taking place in both the Moda Center and the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The event will consist of two brackets of eight teams, with each bracket limited to one team per conference. Games will be played on Thursday, November 23; Friday, November 24; and Sunday, November 26. Stay tuned for the bracket announcement and game schedules.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Game.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Game.png.html)

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Teams.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Teams.png.html)

http://pkinvitational.com/

strikenowhere
09-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Great lineup!

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Game.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Game.png.html)

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Teams.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Teams.png.html)

http://pkinvitational.com/

Just wait - the Zags will get paired with Portland St. in the first round.

Zagdawg
09-21-2016, 12:12 PM
If you had a "wish list" -- what teams do you want to face? I like Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State and UConn (we will get 3 games in this tournament).

Zagdawg
09-21-2016, 12:21 PM
http://espnevents.com/blog/press/pk80-16-team-college-hoops-event-held-honor-phil-knight-2017/

PK80: 16-TEAM COLLEGE HOOPS EVENT HELD IN HONOR OF PHIL KNIGHT IN 2017
September 21, 2016
PK80-Logo

Held over Three Days during Thanksgiving Week in Portland, Ore.

The creation of PK80 – Phil Knight Invitational, a 16-team, early-season men’s college basketball tournament honoring Nike co-founder and 2012 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductee Phil Knight in advance of his 80th birthday, will take place over Thanksgiving week in 2017 from Portland, Ore. One of the largest regular-season tournaments in college basketball history, sporting a field featuring some of the top schools in the nation, will be played Thursday, Nov. 23, Friday, Nov. 24 and Sunday, Nov. 26, from the Rose Quarter’s Moda Center and Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Participating schools include Arkansas, Butler, Connecticut, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Portland, Portland State, Stanford and Texas.

“On behalf of the 16 schools participating in PK80, we are honored to be highlighting Mr. Knight’s contributions to college basketball,” said Clint Overby, vice president, ESPN Events. “The strength of the field coupled with the two venues in Portland set the stage for what should be an exciting weekend.”

“We’re grateful for the opportunity to host 16 of the country’s best college basketball teams while honoring a man whose influence on the game and our region is immeasurable,” said Chris Oxley, senior vice president of venue operations, Rose Quarter. “PK80 will be an incredible showcase of basketball for fans in our arenas and watching on ESPN.”

Two eight-team events – consisting of three games per team – will run simultaneously in the two buildings with the crowning of two bracket champions. All games from Portland will be televised on ESPN networks.

Field Highlights

The schools have combined for 23 National Championships, more than 85 Final Fours, more than 380 NCAA Championship appearances and more than 680 NCAA Championship wins
Ten of the 16 schools have won a NCAA title
Nine of the past 13 National Champions are in the field
Thirteen of the 16 schools have made at least one Final Four appearance
Ticket information and tournament bracket will be announced at a later date. PK80 was created on behalf of the schools and is owned and operated by ESPN Events, a division of ESPN, in conjunction with the Rose Quarter.

Participating Coach’s Quotes

“We are excited to join one of the largest regular season basketball tournaments ever created to honor Phil Knight and his many contributions to college athletics,” Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson said. “Phil has been instrumental in growing and promoting our sport throughout the world. We are proud of our partnership with Nike and look forward to competing against other nationally recognized programs in this exclusive event.” – Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson

“Just as we are to wear the Nike swoosh on our uniforms, Butler is honored to be part of the PK80 event. Nike is a great partner, and we are excited to join some of college basketball’s most successful programs in Portland next year. This is arguably the greatest collection of teams to come together for an in-season tournament, which is also a testament to Phil Knight, the company he built, and the relationships he has cultivated over the years. He is an icon in the sports industry and we look forward to celebrating his 80th birthday.” – Butler head coach Chris Holtmann

“It’s an honor to be included in this prestigious group of college basketball programs and to get the chance to participate in an event as exciting as the PK80. The level of competition, as well as the college basketball atmosphere, will make it a tremendous experience for everyone involved, especially the student-athletes. After all he’s done for college basketball, there is no more appropriate way to help Phil Knight celebrate such a special birthday.” – UConn head coach Kevin Ollie

“Phil Knight has been a visionary and an innovator for a long time. PK80 is a unique way we can honor him and the contributions he has made not just to the game of basketball, but to all of sport.” – Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski

“What a great way to celebrate Phil Knight and all that he and Nike have done for college basketball and the Florida Gators. We’re excited and honored to be part of this field that features so many excellent programs.” – Florida head coach Mike White

“It’s exciting to be a part of this tournament. It is a privilege to be involved in an event that honors Phil Knight. Mr. Knight has not only been pivotal figure in college athletics, but he has been a driving force in the entire sports industry. We are proud to participate in an event that celebrates him.” – Georgetown head coach John Thompson III

“This going to be an awesome event. It’s an honor for us at Gonzaga to be part of this tournament and an honor for me to be in it. Nike has been a huge part of my life since I was in the second grade and got my first basketball shoes. It’s cool that this tournament is in the Northwest, and the teams that are in the field are going to make it a first-class event.” – Gonzaga head coach Mark Few

“We’ve been fortunate to play in some incredible preseason events, but we’ve never been a part of something this amazing – both in terms of quantity and quality of the teams. This is sure to be an incredible experience for all the student-athletes. It’s only fitting to pay tribute to a one-of-a-kind man with a one-of-a-kind event. Phil Knight has revolutionized modern day fitness, while setting the gold standard for shoes and apparel, not just in basketball, but across all other sports and activities as well.” – Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo

“What a thrill for North Carolina Basketball to be playing in such a special event to honor a truly special man. PK80 not only brings together some of the top basketball programs in the game, it honors a giant in business and sports. Mr. Knight has a wonderful ability to touch people’s lives and do great things, both in and out of the sports world. I’ll always cherish my friendship with him.” – North Carolina head coach Roy Williams

“We are thrilled to be part of the PK80 basketball tournament in Portland next season. The Nike brand has had an enormous impact on collegiate athletics. Being part of such a prestigious event that honors Mr. Knight was very important to The Ohio State University.” – Ohio State head coach Thad Matta

“We are honored to be included in the impressive field of teams selected for this event. I can’t imagine a more fitting way to celebrate the legacy of Phil Knight and what he has done for college athletics and the game of basketball.” – Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger

“This will be one of the finest tournament fields ever assembled and it is an excellent way to celebrate Phil Knight. He has done so much, not just for the University of Oregon, but all of college basketball. We are honored to be a part of the PK80 tournament.” – Oregon head coach Dana Altman

“We are very excited to welcome the elite of college basketball to the city of Portland for this landmark event. To be asked to participate in the greatest regular season college basketball tournament of all time is a special honor for the University of Portland. Phil Knight and Nike have contributed so much to the growth of college basketball and impacted so many individual student-athletes in a positive manner. We are privileged to be able to say thank you to Phil by helping to host and showcase this event, as well as our great city, to a national audience via ESPN next year.” – Portland head coach Terry Porter

“The PK80 may be the best regular season college tournament ever assembled. To have Portland State’s name a part of that is very exciting. We look forward to going out and competing against some of the best programs in college basketball.” – Portland State head coach Tyler Geving

“We are honored to be a part of this very exciting experience in Portland. We look forward to celebrating the positive impact Phil Knight has had on the game and his connection to Stanford as an alum of the Graduate School of Business and benefactor of the Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program. This event is a great opportunity to showcase Stanford among the nation’s elite programs.” – Stanford head coach Jerod Haase

“We are very appreciative of our relationship with Phil Knight and Nike. Obviously, this relationship has grown tremendously over the last decade with Nike’s support of Texas and Kevin Durant and provided so many benefits for our student-athletes and UT as a whole. We are really excited about the opportunity to participate in the PK80 event in Portland next Thanksgiving and to be able to compete against such a great field of quality opponents.” – Texas head coach Shaka Smart

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 12:38 PM
I've seen several references to this, but I didn't realize the full scope of it. What an event! Great for the city of Portland and several Northwest teams to be included. It looks like with the stipulation of 1 team per conference in each bracket, the talent should be fairly evenly distributed. I was worried for a minute there might be a de facto "A" bracket and "B" bracket, but that will probably be avoided. I think Duke might've made a trip to the Portland area while Singler was playing there, but trips for the Dukies west of the Mississippi have been extremely rare the last couple decades. Same for Carolina. What a treat for people in Portland and close by to get a chance to see all of these teams together in one place. The Far West Classic drew some really good teams over the years, but this is something else all together.

I would say though that playing at Moda Center will probably be considered quite a bit more desirable than the older Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

sittingon50
09-21-2016, 12:52 PM
"13 of the 16 schools have made at least one Final Four appearance."

Hmmmm.........

zagbeliever
09-21-2016, 12:55 PM
This is AWESOME! I'm glad it will be close enough to travel to.

75Zag
09-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Most fun and toughest ticket to get to Men's BB in Portland in decades - or maybe forever.

Go Bulldogs!

DixieZag
09-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Will this be like the NCAA where each team gets an allotment of several thousand per game? If it is come one come all, then it will be even more difficult.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Most fun and toughest ticket to get to Men's BB in Portland in decades - or maybe forever.

Go Bulldogs!

Thanksgiving 2017: Stumptown!

CdAZagFan
09-21-2016, 01:54 PM
What a great pool of teams... And nice to have it in the Northwest.

Zag365
09-21-2016, 02:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl_NpdAy3WY

MDABE80
09-21-2016, 02:35 PM
1. I wouldn't want to be 80 no matter how good the basketball.
2. Is this going to be a yearly event or a one time only event?

zagamatic
09-21-2016, 02:40 PM
"13 of the 16 schools have made at least one Final Four appearance."

Hmmmm.........

I'm thinking that this will read "14 of 16" by the time the tournament takes place :-)

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 02:50 PM
2. Is this going to be a yearly event or a one time only event?

I'm assuming 1 time only.

Zag_Dad
09-21-2016, 02:54 PM
What an amazing honor for Gonzaga to have been included in this event. Zags are in the company of the best programs in the country.

ZagnetitForce
09-21-2016, 03:09 PM
Cant believe Zag great Przemek Karnowski has his own huge tournament year after he graduates. So cool! And since my son now goes to U of P I guess Thanksgiving 2017 will be held in his Dorm!

Zagdawg
09-21-2016, 03:48 PM
So worse case scenario --as far as the draws go-- we get Portland State (if we end up in the losers bracket on our side of the tournament)--
but we could also get 3 very good teams ----one of
North Carolina/Duke
Oregon/Stanford
Oklahoma/Texas
Georgetown/Butler
Florida/Arkansas
Michigan State/Ohio State
UConn/Portland State (I expect UCONN to be on the other side of the bracket because I don't think they would stick Portland and Portland State in the same bracket).

I am happy that our guys will have a year of great experience to gel before this tournament.

We will lose Karnowski, Rem and Jordan Mathews.

We gain Korey Kispert and ?

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-21-2016, 04:26 PM
So worse case scenario --as far as the draws go-- we get Portland State (if we end up in the losers bracket on our side of the tournament)--
but we could also get 3 very good teams ----one of
North Carolina/Duke
Oregon/Stanford
Oklahoma/Texas
Georgetown/Butler
Florida/Arkansas
Michigan State/Ohio State
UConn/Portland State (I expect UCONN to be on the other side of the bracket because I don't think they would stick Portland and Portland State in the same bracket).

I am happy that our guys will have a year of great experience to gel before this tournament.

We will lose Karnowski, Rem and Jordan Mathews.

We gain Korey Kispert and ?
Jesse Wade will be in the house....after watching Zags video this past weekend it sure will be nice to have a deeeep shooter on the court for the Zags again. I'm talking like Blake Stepp closer th half-court line than 3pt line kind of deep.

in terms of having both veterans and talent, next season may well be the best combo of both Zags have ever had starting a new season...barring a really special season leading to early departures that is. If not, I see veteran backcourt (Perkins,NWG, Melson) with talent (Norvell, Wade) paired up with a sort of veteran front court (Williams, Jones, Edwards) with Talent (Collins, Rui, Tillie, Larsen, Kispert)

Match ups I hope Zags get: 1st Round W over Butler; 2nd Round W over Duke and final game of their bracket W vs Oregon. Of course Id gladly swap out any of those games for a W against UNC or Mich State too!! Now, hopefully this good news won't tempt Zags schedule makers to rest content....Battle In Seattle game in 2017 needs s wow! factor big time to make up for some off years.

MDABE80
09-21-2016, 04:46 PM
A lot epends on how we do this year but I'd say we'll have a top5 team next year.

NotoriousZ
09-21-2016, 05:16 PM
My dream draw:

Uconn
Mich St
Duke

Win, win, and win.

Coach Crazy
09-21-2016, 05:32 PM
A lot epends on how we do this year but I'd say we'll have a top5 team next year.

If no one is an early entry for the draft, you're looking at a starting lineup of NWG, Josh, and either Melson or Zack at the wing, with J3 and ZC.

Add Rui, Melson/Norvell, Whatever grad transfer we get, Kispert, Wade, and possibly Daejon Davis (Tillie and Larsen are wildcard's at this point) and you've got a case for something really promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birddog
09-21-2016, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure why but i just keep thinking of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcpIGFYwcH4

Bogozags
09-21-2016, 06:34 PM
Ok, silly me...I thought we were headed to Maui next Thanksgiving...so has that been moved to 2018 or do we even know?

Zagdawg
09-21-2016, 07:16 PM
I heard the other WCC team was supposed to be St Marys at first-- but Bennett turned the game down when he found out it he had leave the state of California for a non-home OOC game..........and Portland was the 2nd pick.

;)

gu03alum
09-21-2016, 08:56 PM
How do I buy a ticket?

MDABE80
09-21-2016, 10:44 PM
The PK80 will likely dwarf other early-season Thanksgiving week events in 2017. But it will be a one-off and isn't expected to return in 2018 and beyond.......one time only event. Maui and a lot of other tournaments would be hurting if this tournament became an annual event.

jazzdelmar
09-22-2016, 03:09 AM
How do I buy a ticket?

Buy some overpriced shoes.

LongIslandZagFan
09-22-2016, 05:46 AM
The PK80 will likely dwarf other early-season Thanksgiving week events in 2017. But it will be a one-off and isn't expected to return in 2018 and beyond.......one time only event. Maui and a lot of other tournaments would be hurting if this tournament became an annual event.

That is good to hear. That being said... very excited about this one. Might have to make a trip out to PDX.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Gimme Duke, Michigan St, and Oregon. I'd love to beat Oregon in the Moda Center.

Zagger
09-22-2016, 09:46 AM
How do I buy a ticket?

For now: http://pkinvitational.com/event-info/
I'm hoping that this signup actually leads to an early notification/opportunity to get tickets - and not just a way to gain contact information for junk advertising.

Just_An_Old_Zag
09-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Who's playing the role of Chaminade University? U of P or PSU....:lmao:

zag67
09-22-2016, 03:15 PM
It could be both. I think that there are 2 divisions. Each will have one of the teams from each conference (since they are not suppose to play in the same tournament).
Therefore teams like Ohio State and Michigan State, Portland and GU, Oregon and Stanford, etc. would be in separate divisions. I think, but do not quote me.

Zagdawg
09-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Ok 75Zag --- how many extra rooms do you have at your place?

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-22-2016, 06:15 PM
It could be both. I think that there are 2 divisions. Each will have one of the teams from each conference (since they are not suppose to play in the same tournament).
Therefore teams like Ohio State and Michigan State, Portland and GU, Oregon and Stanford, etc. would be in separate divisions. I think, but do not quote me.

You got it right Zag67. Two separate, 8 team brackets each playing its own little tournament with one team only from each conference. So, Duke/UNC; Mich St/Ohio St; Oregon/Stanford; Georgetown/Butler; Zags/Portland etc each split between brackets. Great concept, great teams, guaranteed each bracket will be stacked more than any other early season tourney....ever!

sittingon50
09-22-2016, 11:06 PM
Ok 75Zag --- how many extra rooms do you have at your place?

:lmao:

sittingon50
09-23-2016, 10:51 AM
For now: http://pkinvitational.com/event-info/
I'm hoping that this signup actually leads to an early notification/opportunity to get tickets - and not just a way to gain contact information for junk advertising.

THEY HAVE A CLOCK!!

thespywhozaggedme
09-23-2016, 11:08 AM
So two separate brackets and the winners of each DO NOT play each other? That's....dumb.

sittingon50
09-23-2016, 11:16 AM
So two separate brackets and the winners of each DO NOT play each other? That's....dumb.

I assume it's just like the Orlando Tourney spy, 3 games count as 2. Don't think there are any 4 game Tourneys that exist (before March, anyway).

Plus, if I'm reading this right, there will be 8 teams each at 2 separate venues. So one name, but essentially 2 tournies.
(someone feel free to correct me).

seacatfan
09-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Don't see how it's dumb at all. Incredible collection of bball talent in one place at one time. As said above it's basically 2 different tournaments going on simultaneously. As far as winners of the 2 brackets playing...what if Duke and Carolina win, or Michigan St. and Ohio St.? You think conference rivals want to be forced to play each other in a non conference game? Hell no they don't. Maybe unlikely, but it could happen. I have a feeling the guarantee of not facing a conference foe was a key in getting all these teams to commit to the event.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Don't see how it's dumb at all. Incredible collection of bball talent in one place at one time. As said above it's basically 2 different tournaments going on simultaneously. As far as winners of the 2 brackets playing...what if Duke and Carolina win, or Michigan St. and Ohio St.? You think conference rivals want to be forced to play each other in a non conference game? Hell no they don't. Maybe unlikely, but it could happen. I have a feeling the guarantee of not facing a conference foe was a key in getting all these teams to commit to the event.

Agreed. I predict the winner of each bracket will end up playing one another in the NCAA tourney...probably in Final Four or Championship game. That game will be the icing on Phil Knight's 80th birthday cake!!

SWZag
09-23-2016, 01:06 PM
I'm proud of the organizers for including both Portland and Portland State. Oregon is obvious, but to add two smaller local schools is always appreciated. Would have been nice to maybe even have Oregon State included, since Nike has done many things for the Portland to Eugene corridor.

Kudos for adding the two Portland schools.

seacatfan
09-23-2016, 02:26 PM
I'm proud of the organizers for including both Portland and Portland State. Oregon is obvious, but to add two smaller local schools is always appreciated. Would have been nice to maybe even have Oregon State included, since Nike has done many things for the Portland to Eugene corridor.

Kudos for adding the two Portland schools.

Ditto that sentiment about the local schools. It would've been nice for Oregon St. if they were included as well. I think I saw in another thread that Knight has ties to Stanford as well as his more obvious connection with UO. I think the 'Furd is a bit of a stretch. If not OSU, a more marquee Pac 12 team should've been selected like Arizona or UCLA.

maynard g krebs
09-23-2016, 03:12 PM

Exempt tourneys are limited to 3 games. For this to occur, I'm guessing there would need to be a special exemption from the NCAA to allow the two winners to go over the max number of games.

maynard g krebs
09-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Ditto that sentiment about the local schools. It would've been nice for Oregon St. if they were included as well. I think I saw in another thread that Knight has ties to Stanford as well as his more obvious connection with UO. I think the 'Furd is a bit of a stretch. If not OSU, a more marquee Pac 12 team should've been selected like Arizona or UCLA.

Knight got his MBA from Stanford, and had donated a ton of money there as well. By the same token, it would be better basketball-wise to include SMC instead of Portland.

Also, Oregon State is one of Oregon's two most bitter rivals, along w/ UW. You wouldn't expect an Oregon alum to do the Beavers any favors, as you wouldn't expect say, the Reser family to help out Oregon.

seacatfan
09-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Knight got his MBA from Stanford, and had donated a ton of money there as well. By the same token, it would be better basketball-wise to include SMC instead of Portland.

Also, Oregon State is one of Oregon's two most bitter rivals, along w/ UW. You wouldn't expect an Oregon alum to do the Beavers any favors, as you wouldn't expect say, the Reser family to help out Oregon.

True, and I thought about that, just didn't include it in my post. I have a bunch of OSU alums in my family so I come by disliking the Ducks pretty naturally. I can certainly understand Knight not inviting the Beavers to his party or wanting to help them out at all.

As far as SMC, fairly likely the WCC wouldn't have gotten 2 teams invited if it wasn't for UP being local. It's not like every conference got two teams, some didn't get any.

zag67
09-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Is this a one time tournament? Or are they going to make it annually? Thanks.

KStyles
09-23-2016, 09:14 PM
Is this a one time tournament? Or are they going to make it annually? Thanks.

Plans are for one time.

The PK80 will likely dwarf other early-season Thanksgiving week events in 2017. But it will be a one-off and isn't expected to return in 2018 and beyond.

Andy Katz's article from last week: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17604683/phil-knight-invitational-portland-honor-nike-founder-phil-knight-pk80-feature-16-teams-including-north-carolina-tar-heels-duke-blue-devils-michigan-state-spartans

This tourney has been 5 years in the making. Originally UK & Xavier were in instead of Arkansas & Portland State.

Andy Katz's original article from August 2012: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8274359/nike-schools-commit-16-team-mega-event-honor-phil-knight

Booster
09-23-2016, 09:26 PM
A few things to know: The NCAA would not allow a 16 team, championship style format given the 3 game limit. The NCAA also required teams from the same conference would have to play in opposite 8 team brackets. All teams are NIKE teams (read: Phil Knight NIKE co-founder), therefore the reason why SMC was not invited. Gonzaga was an obvious choice so it was equally obvious that Portland would be the other school from the WCC. Portland State was chosen because Phil Knight taught accounting there in his early years as a CPA (and it aligns well to his two other alma maters).

KStyles
09-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Exempt tourneys are limited to 3 games. For this to occur, I'm guessing there would need to be a special exemption from the NCAA to allow the two winners to go over the max number of games.

Exempt multi-team events are limited to 4 contests within 14 days (GU has taken advantage of this a few times, played WVU a week and a half before the 3 game Old Spice tourney in 2012, Oakland before 3 game Maui in 2013, etc.). (NCAA Bylaw 17.3.5.1.1)

With the conference limitations making it 2 separate events, it could've been done without any NCAA exemption. Teams would've had to give up one of their remaining 27 games though. If all of the schools left an open date (similar to bracketbusters) those with matching places in the 2 tourneys could face off against each other after the 2 respective tourneys are over to get a grand champion, grand 3rd place, etc. IMO giving up a (probably home for most of the schools) game and playing 4 games in 5-6 days was a bit too much to ask of the teams.

john montana
09-24-2016, 07:18 PM
This will be awesome. Must have tickets!