PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook - Preseason Top 25 - Zags #14

ZagNative
09-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook - Preseason Top 25 (http://chrisdortch.info/duke-is-no-1-in-blue-ribbon-college-basketball-yearbooks-preseason-top-25/)

Duke is No. 1 in Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook’s Preseason Top 25
Chris Dortch | September 20, 2016

Duke has been chosen Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook’s preseason No. 1 team for the sixth time in the publication’s 36-year history.

The Blue Devils, who were also selected No. 1 in college basketball’s “bible” in 1991-92, 1998-99, 2000-01, 2001-02 and 2010-11, were a solid choice for the top spot by Blue Ribbon’s editors and writers whose opinions and votes combine to put together the Top 25.

Oregon was No. 2, Kansas No. 3, Kentucky No. 3 and defending national champions Villanova. No. 5. The Wildcats have appeared somewhere in the top four the last six seasons, including No. 1 in 2014-15 and 2015-16.

The rest of the top 10 includes No. 6 Wisconsin, No. 7 North Carolina No. 8 Louisville, No. 9 Purdue and No. 10 Virginia.

The Atlantic Coast Conference leads the way with four teams in the top 10 and six in Blue Ribbon’s Top 25, including Florida State (No. 20) and NC State (No. 23).

The Big East is well represented in the Top 25, with Villanova, Xavier (No. 12), Butler (No. 16) and Creighton (No. 19).

Another conference that shows up well in the poll is the West Coast, with No. 14 Gonzaga and No. 17 Saint Mary’s.

PRESEASON TOP 25

1 Duke
2 Oregon
3 Kansas
4 Kentucky
5 Villanova
6 Wisconsin
7 North Carolina
8 Louisville
9 Purdue
10 Virginia
11 Michigan State
12 Xavier
13 Arizona
14 Gonzaga
15 Connecticut
16 Butler
17 Saint Mary’s
18 Indiana
19 Creighton
20 Florida State
21 West Virginia
22 UCLA
23 NC State
24 Maryland
25 Rhode Island

cjm720
09-20-2016, 04:25 PM
Seems about right. We are in good company!

DixieZag
09-20-2016, 05:06 PM
Yeah, that's realistic, for now.

It does feel good to be ahead of Indiana, UConn, and UCLA.

Oh, and SMC - who I'm glad is getting love.

hooter73
09-20-2016, 06:32 PM
I really hope SMC proves me wrong, but imo it's a joke they are in the conversation.

Mantua
09-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Is Villanova going be that good this season?

thespywhozaggedme
09-20-2016, 08:32 PM
We are a top 5 talent this season

maynard g krebs
09-20-2016, 11:02 PM
I really hope SMC proves me wrong, but imo it's a joke they are in the conversation.

Everybody's back, and they have several newcomers whose resumes suggest that they'll be able to contribute.

bigblahla
09-21-2016, 04:40 AM

What's a joke is their schedule....the minions of Moraga should be very good this year....but....a couple misses on their schedule and they will face the same uphill battle as every year....have to beat the Zags to Dance...did it twice last year and still not enough to overcome their weak sauce schedule....The boys from down under(CA) should present a tough out for everyone they play due to experienced TEAM ball and the ability to score from every position...deserve to be ranked in top 25....

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagnificent
09-21-2016, 05:21 AM
We are a top 5 talent this season

Top 5 talent, yes, but so many new faces. The question is how that talent will function as a unit, or how long it'll take to get there. If it happens quickly, we could be top-10 most of the season. Otherwise, we could see a repeat of last year.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-21-2016, 06:01 AM
What's a joke is their schedule....the minions of Moraga should be very good this year....but....a couple misses on their schedule and they will face the same uphill battle as every year....have to beat the Zags to Dance...did it twice last year and still not enough to overcome their weak sauce schedule....The boys from down under(CA) should present a tough out for everyone they play due to experienced TEAM ball and the ability to score from every position...deserve to be ranked in top 25....

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

I think they got lucky last year. They played near-flawless ball all season and still couldn't dance. Unless they got on a serious 'roid program or otherwise found ways to become superior athletes to themselves a year ago, last year could have been their ceiling. Other teams have now had a full offseason to study them, last year no one knew what they were.

jazzdelmar
09-21-2016, 06:05 AM

Still, the reality is what's good for SMC is good for GU.....

Zagdawg
09-21-2016, 06:32 AM
I'm glad SMC is in the mix-- would love for them to be undefeated in our first game against us --- give us another top 25 win ;) .

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Is Villanova going be that good this season?

They lost a couple Sr., but return a good nucleus from last year's Championship team. Why wouldn't they be good?

The team I'm absolutely not buying is Kansas. They have some solid but not star caliber guards. Lost 2 key guys from last year in Ellis and Selden. Have much ballyhooed freshman Jackson, but most of their hyped freshmen underachieve somewhat during their obligatory one year of college ball before they head off to the NBA. I predict they'll win the Big 12 (again...because they always do) and then not advance far in the Tourney.

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Purdue at #9 seems kinda high. NC State had a losing record last year and lost much of their scoring punch from that team. Seems like a fairly ambitious prediction for them.

sittingon50
09-21-2016, 09:29 AM
This outfit agrees with you cat. NCST. @ #52

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13540

bartruff1
09-21-2016, 11:22 AM
St Maries was in the same boat that Gonzaga was in last year...had Gonzaga lost that game, they likely would have gone to the NIT.

Only one Mid Major made the NCAA as a at large....the Shockers ....

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Only one Mid Major made the NCAA as a at large....the Shockers ....

Hmmm...I think I gotta challenge that statement. A-10 (3) and AAC (4) both got multiple bids, so some of them were at-large and I would think probably qualify as mid majors.

Mantua
09-21-2016, 01:11 PM
They lost a couple Sr., but return a good nucleus from last year's Championship team. Why wouldn't they be good?

The team I'm absolutely not buying is Kansas. They have some solid but not star caliber guards. Lost 2 key guys from last year in Ellis and Selden. Have much ballyhooed freshman Jackson, but most of their hyped freshmen underachieve somewhat during their obligatory one year of college ball before they head off to the NBA. I predict they'll win the Big 12 (again...because they always do) and then not advance far in the Tourney.

Ochefu and Arcidiacon are NBA players. They were franchise players for Villanova.

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Ochefu and Arcidiacon are NBA players. They were franchise players for Villanova.

Hart and Jenkins were every bit as key to their success last year as the players they lost. Ochefu was solid but not even close to a star, he'll be far easier to replace than "Arch." He was a gritty, tough, smart PG, exactly the kind of player you want running the show. But Brunson got tons of PT last year and is probably ready to take over the lead guard spot. Booth and Bridges are a couple more rotation guys returning. I fully expect 'Nova to win the Big East again and enter the Tourney with a high seed.

cbbfanatic
09-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Hart and Jenkins were every bit as key to their success last year as the players they lost. Ochefu was solid but not even close to a star, he'll be far easier to replace than "Arch." He was a gritty, tough, smart PG, exactly the kind of player you want running the show. But Brunson got tons of PT last year and is probably ready to take over the lead guard spot. Booth and Bridges are a couple more rotation guys returning. I fully expect 'Nova to win the Big East again and enter the Tourney with a high seed.

agree on hart & jenkins, but ochefu was absolutely huge on the defensive end. his athleticism and ability to read the floor really enabled their approach that was so key during the tournament, esp against kansas & UNC. that team doesnt make the final four without ochefu... no way. bridges was certainly a big defensive enabler too

bridges and booth should really break out, hart & jenkins are established, and jalen brunson (last yrs top rated incoming FR PG) should pick up a lot of arcidiacono's slack, and a 5 star freshman big should help with ochefu's loss. add it all up against the BE sched, and it should be a 1/2 seed season.

side question... for all those assuming GU has top 5 talent... who are the other 4 in that list, as well as the next couple that would have just missed the list? i like GUs talent, but i see a team that lost their two most productive players, bring back a huge question mark in karno, and a bunch of other more mild question marks via transfer or freshman. top 5 talent feels like a pretty big stretch to me. feels more to me like a team with top 25 talent, that could gel over the season, dominate in conference, and end up top 10 in the polls with close to 30 wins.

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 02:48 PM
side question... for all those assuming GU has top 5 talent... who are the other 4 in that list, as well as the next couple that would have just missed the list? i like GUs talent, but i see a team that lost their two most productive players, bring back a huge question mark in karno, and a bunch of other more mild question marks via transfer or freshman. top 5 talent feels like a pretty big stretch to me. feels more to me like a team with top 25 talent, that could gel over the season, dominate in conference, and end up top 10 in the polls with close to 30 wins.

Interesting question. Yes GU has a lot of incoming talent to mix with the holdovers. But they don't exist in a vacuum, so when you look at the rest of the country, are they really top 5 good?

You're right, I'm probably not giving enough credit to Ochefu for his interior D last year. Maybe like some around here don't appreciate Karno.

bartruff1
09-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Hmmm...I think I gotta challenge that statement. A-10 (3) and AAC (4) both got multiple bids, so some of them were at-large and I would think probably qualify as mid majors.

Not necessarily....It depends on the various definitions of mid major......in any case, you are begging the question....the Gales and the Zags were in the exact same position......... regardless of their schedules, they had to win the WCC Tourney to get to the NCAA.

Bennett does a great job with the resources he has to work with...IMHO of course..

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Not necessarily....It depends on the various definitions of mid major......in any case, you are begging the question....the Gales and the Zags were in the exact same position......... regardless of their schedules, they had to win the WCC Tourney to get to the NCAA.

Bennett does a great job with the resources he has to work with...IMHO of course..

Oh I agree with you, Zags wouldn't have gone Dancing last year without getting the autobid. I and several others had been saying that for weeks heading into the conference tourney and were mostly treated with derision on this site for holding that opinion.

As far as what is and what isn't a Mid Major, I guess that's always going to be debatable. Many feel the Zags have long since outgrown that tag. Granted I certainly wouldn't call UConn or Cincinnati a mid major out of the AAC, but Tulsa still fits that bill in my mind. The A-10 is a solid conference, but I would think overall still on the upper end of still being a mid major. Especially after the new Big East raided it of a few of their best teams.

bartruff1
09-21-2016, 04:10 PM
I though you were going to tell me to " take a hike " ..... :)

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 04:19 PM
I though you were going to tell me to " take a hike " ..... :)

Ha ha. Taken literally, that's not a bad thing at all as you and I both know. Why is that phrase considered a pejorative anyway?

Bogozags
09-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Oh I agree with you, Zags wouldn't have gone Dancing last year without getting the autobid. I and several others had been saying that for weeks heading into the conference tourney and were mostly treated with derision on this site for holding that opinion.

As far as what is and what isn't a Mid Major, I guess that's always going to be debatable. Many feel the Zags have long since outgrown that tag. Granted I certainly wouldn't call UConn or Cincinnati a mid major out of the AAC, but Tulsa still fits that bill in my mind. The A-10 is a solid conference, but I would think overall still on the upper end of still being a mid major. Especially after the new Big East raided it of a few of their best teams.

During the BCS tenure, a mid-major was any team not in a BCS conference or Notre Dame...now we are in the Big Five era and a mid-major would be defined as any team not in a Big Five Conference. Personally, I don't care one way or the other as it only pertains to the amount of money available to spend on their teams and since Big Five conferences make sooooo darn much money from football, it's virtually impossible for mid-majors to keep up...IMO