PDA

View Full Version : "The recruiters who land the players who make teams great" - Tommy Lloyd #16

ZagNative
09-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Jeff Borzello, ESPN (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17588962/best-recruiters-top-25-college-basketball-teams)

The way-too-early Top 25 rankings for next season in college basketball have been updated, and with that, we've decided to look beyond the on-the-court talent to see which recruiters are bringing in the talent. Who is the best recruiter on each Top 25 team?

16. Gonzaga Bulldogs: Tommy Lloyd
There's clearly an international influence on Gonzaga the past several years, and Lloyd is a major reason why. Lloyd is simply the best assistant coach in the country at consistently recruiting players outside the United States. He reeled in Domantas Sabonis and Przemek Karnowski and also brought in Canada natives Kevin Pangos and Kelly Olynyk.

MBZags
09-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Definitely should be much higher.

DixieZag
09-20-2016, 07:49 PM

He forgot Ronny and Elias?

ZagNative
09-20-2016, 08:18 PM
He forgot Ronny and Elias?
Whoa. No Ronny or Elias?

zagfan94
09-20-2016, 08:49 PM

It's the best recruiter from each of the top 25 teams in their rankings. They're not being compared against each other.

webspinnre
09-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Going to point out that this isn't a ranking of top recruiters, this is a list of the recruiters for teams that are currently in the top 25. They do lists like this as their version of offseason clickbait.

edit: hadn't noticed that this was pointed out by zagfan94 because I hadn't refreshed the thread.

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Was Lloyd on the staff when Ronny was recruited? That was when Grier and Rice were still at GU. If he was on staff, he certainly had a smaller role then than he does now.

CDC84
09-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Tommy was on the staff when Ronny played:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Lloyd

Another name (who never ended up playing at GU): Mario Kasun

Tommy joined the Gonzaga men's basketball staff as an administrative assistant in 2000. The following year he became an assistant coach under head coach Mark Few.[1] Lloyd has become Gonzaga's key international recruiter bringing in players like former Gonzaga Bulldogs Mario Kasun (Croatia), Ronny Turiaf (France), J.P. Batista (Brazil), Abdullahi Kuso (Nigeria), Robert Sacre (Canada), Kelly Olynyk (Canada), Elias Harris (Germany), Kevin Pangos (Canada) and Domantas Sabonis (Lithuania), as well as current Gonzaga player Przemek Karnowski (Poland) and incoming Zags Killian Tillie (France), Jacob Glarbjerg Larsen (Denmark), and Rui Hachimura (Japan).[

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Okay, my bad. However you can't count Batista and Kuso as international recruits because they were in the US playing at JC when they were recruited. If you wanted to go that route, you could add Diallo and Landry Edi as JC guys that originally came from outside the US.

jpwils
09-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Okay, my bad. However you can't count Batista and Kuso as international recruits because they were in the US playing at JC when they were recruited. If you wanted to go that route, you could add Diallo and Landry Edi as JC guys that originally came from outside the US.

If you look at which non-factory schools are consistently ranked in the Top 25 it begins to crystallize the fact that LLoyd has beaten out the likes of Duke and others for international stars like Karno and Sabonis. Recruit for Duke ? How tough is it to sell 5 star Burger Boys on Duke, Kentucky, or Arizona and Kansas?????

Honestly if you look at Ronny and Elias thru last year's crop of international studs, there are only a few schools competing with the Zags regularly : St Mary's ( Australian pipeline), Syracuse ( which is a high major) and maybe Utah who are in the conversation. The Zags way is now BEING COPIED by schools outside the Top 10 !!!!

Lets face it Duke UK ,Kansas, Arizona, ...have their pick...NO RECRUITING NEEDED. C'mon guys !!!!!

Tommy Lloyd is one of the FIVE BEST period or Gonzaga does not compete the last decade or more !

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Quite a few schools have been mining the Canadian pipeline for a number of years now. Some of the cream of the crop have been attending prep schools in the US though, so that gets back to the question of if they are really international recruits or not. Several Canadians have been named to the McDonald's All American game over the last 5 years or so. I think Syracuse has long kept an eye north of the border, and Texas has snagged several high profile Canadians (but I think all of those were prepping in the US).

I've pondered this before, but I tend to think names like Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina etc. just don't carry as much weight in Europe as they do in North America. I would think with their continued success with Euro players, Gonzaga's name is just as big as any other school's as far as kids on the other side of the Atlantic are concerned.

Zagdawg
09-21-2016, 10:50 AM
The connection that Tommy/Gonzaga has through Sabonis and the Lithuanian team will also help out the program with visibility.

CDC84
09-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Okay, my bad. However you can't count Batista and Kuso as international recruits because they were in the US playing at JC when they were recruited.

Tommy's reputation with international players still played a big part in attracting Batista to Gonzaga. Ronny Turiaf was also huge in getting Batista to commit. I realize it's not the same as, say, Tommy travelling across the pond to recruit Karnowski, but his international reputation still helps with international kids who are already playing in the states at JC's and such. He (with Few's help of course) was able to beat Kansas for JP despite the fact that he played JC ball in their backyard.

Also, keep in mind that some of these international players actually end up COMING to the states because of Tommy. Greivis Vasquez was discovered by Tommy and "placed" at Montrose Christian by him until Few fell in love with Matt Bouldin and decided to drop Greivis. It is a well documented story. The big kid (I forget his name) who ended up going to Indiana out of North Idaho College....another Gonzaga stash. They just didn't think he was good enough. I knew he wasn't good enough when I saw him play against the College of Southern Idaho. There have been other examples of such "stashed" players.

seacatfan
09-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Interesting info CDC. I wasn't aware of this "stashing" of players going on. I can't remember what the scholie situation was like, but too bad they couldn't take Bouldin and Vasquez. Both turned out to be very good players in college.

CDC84
09-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Personally, I think Vasquez would've driven Few nuts. He's a great competitor and did many great things for Maryland, but he was just too crazy with the basketball and his decision making.

When Gonzaga played Maryland at one of those preseason tournaments, Fran F. documented the Vasquez/Coach Lloyd story, although I already knew about it. Fran also failed to slip in the detail that GU ultimately chose Bouldin over him. A lot of people forget that Matt was the number one rated shooting guard west of the Mississippi in his class with at least one service (I think scout). He was one of the biggest recruits Gonzaga had ever landed at that point. I remember Rick Majerus (RIP) gushing over him during the preseason NIT when Bouldin was a freshman.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Tommy's reputation with international players still played a big part in attracting Batista to Gonzaga. Ronny Turiaf was also huge in getting Batista to commit. I realize it's not the same as, say, Tommy travelling across the pond to recruit Karnowski, but his international reputation still helps with international kids who are already playing in the states at JC's and such. He (with Few's help of course) was able to beat Kansas for JP despite the fact that he played JC ball in their backyard.

Also, keep in mind that some of these international players actually end up COMING to the states because of Tommy. Greivis Vasquez was discovered by Tommy and "placed" at Montrose Christian by him until Few fell in love with Matt Bouldin and decided to drop Greivis. It is a well documented story. The big kid (I forget his name) who ended up going to Indiana out of North Idaho College....another Gonzaga stash. They just didn't think he was good enough. I knew he wasn't good enough when I saw him play against the College of Southern Idaho. There have been other examples of such "stashed" players.

I hadn't heard that before, and I wish I still hadn't. Ouch. Not a diss on Matt but, ouch.

CDC84
09-23-2016, 02:22 PM
The other issue with Vasquez is that he had a real tough time containing his emotions on a basketball floor while at MD. He was a real hot head. I haven't seen him enough in the NBA to know if he's cooled off.....

I don't think it was any great miss on the staff's part. Bouldin played on better teams and was at his best setting up other guys.

Snowkane
09-29-2016, 10:34 AM
But didn't Tommy Lloyd recruit Rem Bakamus?

seacatfan
09-29-2016, 10:42 AM
The other issue with Vasquez is that he had a real tough time containing his emotions on a basketball floor while at MD. He was a real hot head. I haven't seen him enough in the NBA to know if he's cooled off.....

Adam Morrison?

Zag_Dad
09-29-2016, 01:45 PM
But didn't Tommy Lloyd recruit Rem Bakamus?

If so ... he's genius to snag Bakamus. The founding father of the Walk on Fraternity... the leader of the Three-tar airband. The guy is an all time great ZAG!

CDC84
09-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Adam Morrison?

National player of the year (along with JJ). One of the most dominant players in recent college basketball history. As with all sports, you're more willing to put up with certain things if the player is transcendent.

seacatfan
09-29-2016, 04:48 PM
National player of the year (along with JJ). One of the most dominant players in recent college basketball history. As with all sports, you're more willing to put up with certain things if the player is transcendent.

No doubt he was a great Zag and an incredible player. Just pointing out he also didn't keep his emotions under control at times while he was on the court. Some might say the same of Austin Daye, but his game didn't reach the same heights that Ammo's did of course.