• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsGoZags
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Kraziness in the Kennel

This might be a good time to start the Kraziness thread.
    There are 9 scholarship players (about 3/4 of all scholarships) who will be playing for the team this year, who
    have never played in a D1 game for the zags yet.
    That seems like a lot of new faces so I expect Kraziness will have a large crowd.
    I love to match up the living players to the roster and pictures of them every Autumn.

Exactly which day and time of day is it this year?

There was a reference to it in the board a few months ago but I couldn't find it skimming back.
    The 'unknown factor' about each players skills, and gelling together, and how the coaches will
    put them together is huge this year. Biggest I can remember.
    Nice thing is, unlike last year, I think this year we are Deep.
  • DukeSilver
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2013

Kraziness is October 8th this year, I believe.

Crazy to think it's less than a month away - excited to see what this year's squad can do!

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

isn't Oct. 8th before the first day of practice? Do they have Kraziness before practices even start?
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• 3XaZag
        Kennel Club Material
        • Dec 2007

That was the origination of these type of events...the purpose was to kick of the practice sessions, introduce players to the fans and create hype.

Most of the schools that have a similar event will be right about that date.

Comment

• ZagnetitForce
          Kennel Club
          • Feb 2007

Coincides with parents weekend and alum reunions.....should be a very good time and very well attended.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

With all the newbies and competition for playing time, good opportunity to show your coaches how you can handle the bright lights and college atmosphere. This year's scrimmage should be particularly intriguing and intense. For me, Melson, Norvell and Hachimura are all on cusp of either forcing their way into starting lineup/major minutes or being 9th guy off the bench getting maybe 5-7 mpg.
            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by 3XaZag View Post
              That was the origination of these type of events...the purpose was to kick of the practice sessions, introduce players to the fans and create hype.

Most of the schools that have a similar event will be right about that date.
              Trying to remember correctly, but was it not Kansas that used to be basically the only team that did it, and they'd start at Midnight of the first day that the NCAA allowed practice?
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• 3XaZag
                Kennel Club Material
                • Dec 2007

Maybe Kentucky ??

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                Trying to remember correctly, but was it not Kansas that used to be basically the only team that did it, and they'd start at Midnight of the first day that the NCAA allowed practice?
                I am not sure. I know Kentucky has had a big kickoff night for many years....it is always associated with a home football game...apparently trying to take some of the student enthusiasm for BB and rub it back onto the FB program

Comment

• Radbooks
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2007

From Wikipedia:

Prior to the 2013–14 NCAA Division I men's basketball season men's and women's basketball teams were not permitted to practice prior to the Friday closest to October 15. Maryland Terrapins head coach Lefty Driesell began the Midnight Madness tradition at 12:03 a.m. on October 15, 1971 by inviting the public to a 1.5 mile team run. The early practice session was attended by 3,000 fans at the track surrounding Byrd Stadium on the University of Maryland campus. Driesell continued the annual midnight practice session throughout his tenure at Maryland, and brought the tradition with him when he became head coach at Georgia State University. In 2008, that school delayed the event until sunrise for the first time since Driesell established the tradition.
                  In 1982, coach Joe B. Hall and the Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball team began to officially promote a celebration dubbed "Midnight Madness" as a school event with formal entertainment acts and an invited student audience. This event was held in Memorial Coliseum and held 8,500 people in the 12,500 seat gym.[4] Big Blue Madness is now televised and hosts celebrities including Drake, who performed in 2014.
                  “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Thank you Radbook. I had not even thought a thing like that might be covered in wiki.

I guess I had my basic school wrong - Kansas/Kentucky. I know I'd never heard of Maryland doing it, but I did recall one big blue blood power having a midnight madness thing, wrong school.

Great find. Thank you.
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bogozags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Radbooks View Post
                      From Wikipedia:
                      In 1982, coach Joe B. Hall and the Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball team began to officially promote a celebration dubbed "Midnight Madness" as a school event with formal entertainment acts and an invited student audience. This event was held in Memorial Coliseum and held 8,500 people in the 12,500 seat gym.[4] Big Blue Madness is now televised and hosts celebrities including Drake, who performed in 2014.

I hate to disagree with whomever wrote this piece BUT the very FIRST TEAM to have held Midnight Madness at 12:01am was Baptist College and it was a big hit and took place in 1981. It was publicized in ESPN but since we were an unheralded D1 program, UK was given the accolades. Also, we had the FIRST SKY-WALKER that year too but again a small D1 program was not acknowledged.

Comment

• Zagger
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008

Dang! I have to be elsewhere that day.

I've yet to make it to Kraziness for one reason or another.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Thanks for the link zagger.
                          looks like they start at 4 pm on Oct 8, which means doors will probably open at 3 pm like previous years,
                          I'll be in line before 2 pm.

Bogozag, with a source, I think you could correct the Wiki article.
                          I've never done it before but somebody told me it is easy.

something tells me by Feb we will be a powerful basketball machine this season

Comment

• Bogozags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                            Thanks for the link zagger.
                            looks like they start at 4 pm on Oct 8, which means doors will probably open at 3 pm like previous years,
                            I'll be in line before 2 pm.

Bogozag, with a source, I think you could correct the Wiki article.
                            I've never done it before but somebody told me it is easy.

something tells me by Feb we will be a powerful basketball machine this season
                            Thanks but don't have a source...the AD and SID are deceased...the coach Phil Carter (who played for Jax against UCLA) is long gone out of coaching...heck, as long as WE know it's ok by me...UK was not the first...Baptist College (Charleston Southern University) of Charleston was

I also believe by FEB that we will be a very POWERFUL and RESPECTED basketball machine!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X