PDA

View Full Version : OT: Greensboro loses 2017 NCAA 1st & 2nd Round Tourney Games

RenoZag
09-12-2016, 07:39 PM
According to ESPN, the NCAA Board of Governors has pulled 7 NCAA events from NC for the 2016-2017 school year.

Included in the seven:

Division I men's basketball tournament first/second rounds in Greensboro, March 17 and 19, 2017

From the article linked below:

The Duke men's basketball team is expected to be a preseason No. 1 and a likely top seed, meaning the Blue Devils probably would have been placed in Greensboro.

Duke already had to switch a non-conference opponent after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) banned the New York state university at Albany from playing at a North Carolina school due to HB2. New York, Minnesota, Washington, Vermont and Connecticut have banned state-sponsored travel to North Carolina.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/17533335/ncaa-pulls-7-championship-events-north-carolina

MDABE80
09-12-2016, 08:15 PM
Just my opinion but I don't think the NCAA should be having any say so on this type of thing. It's pure thuggism.

Ekrub
09-12-2016, 08:22 PM
New York state universities won't be able to travel anywhere to play b-ball if this trend continues

ZagNative
09-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Just my opinion but I don't think the NCAA should be having any say so on this type of thing. It's pure thuggism.I disagree. Looks like the governor of NC is going down for his support of the anti-transgender and anti-gay nonsense as well.

willandi
09-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Just my opinion but I don't think the NCAA should be having any say so on this type of thing. It's pure thuggism.

I disagree. Looks like the governor of NC is going down for his support of the anti-transgender and anti-gay nonsense as well.

I agree with ZN. If the minority in North Carolina want to keep their anti LBGT stance, no matter the cost, it will be up to the majority of voters to turn things around.

I have read that only about 1/3 of voters support the anti LBGT position. No link, sorry.

MDABE80
09-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Didn't the voters pass this law??

seacatfan
09-12-2016, 09:55 PM
I have a hard time believing Coach K is going to let this stand. Duke not getting to play in their home state during the first 2 (or more) rounds of the Tourney? I can't see it.

maynard g krebs
09-12-2016, 11:04 PM

The NCAA shouldn't be able to decide where to hold their own events? Who should decide where NCAA events are held, then?

MDABE80
09-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Maynard...NCAA is acting against a state. And the state's schools. And what's the reason for the punishment?? They don't agree with bathroom policies. TO me, it's just an overreach. Remember too, NCAA already decided to hold the event sin NC. Now, it's punishment and they're quite open about it. Your first sentence is quite superficial and simpleminded. The whole story is quite different and more expansive.. And you know it. Meanwhile, it's a social issue for society to grapple with and not so much basketball. So that's that. This is simply about NCAA reneging over their view of social things and forcing schools to see it "their" way or else.

Not much basketball in this. For me, that's about it. So put the lil knives away.

Bogozags
09-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Maynard...NCAA is acting against a state. And the state's schools. And what's the reason for the punishment?? They don't agree with bathroom policies. TO me, it's just an overreach. Remember too, NCAA already decided to hold the event sin NC. Now, it's punishment and they're quite open about it. Your first sentence is quite superficial and simpleminded. The whole story is quite different and more expansive.. And you know it. Meanwhile, it's a social issue for society to grapple with and not so much basketball. So that's that. This is simply about NCAA reneging over their view of social things and forcing schools to see it "their" way or else.

Not much basketball in this. For me, that's about it. So put the lil knives away.

The NCAA set a precedent on two other occasions: (1) placing Penn State on probation for the child molestation issue and (2) prohibiting any NCAA events to be played in South Carolina as long as the Confederate flag flew over the State House. This is the third issue on which the NCAA has taken a moral stand. In addition, the NBA pulled its All-Star game out of Charlotte for the very same reason.

The people of North Carolina did not vote for or against this law; however, the Republican controlled House/Senate designed this law, passed it and the governor signed it into law.

What I find interesting is that until recently, I personally never even new there was a such a problem until laws either for or against this issue began to be brought up in the state houses. NC is also one of the states that had a voter ID law over turned that was also enacted by their state house.

Several states are passing more and more restrictive laws against the LBGT communities in an effort to control their liberties.

I think due to the almighty dollar, these laws will be over turned. If a few more liberal states restrict their state colleges and universities from traveling to NC then this law will be quickly over turned. Currently, the governor is running behind in the polls in his bid for re-election. This law is along the same lines as the one passed by Indiana's state house and signed into law by Governor Pence that would legally permit business to refuse to do business with LBGT community and this was eventually change.

As I said above the DOLLAR will determine if this law remains on the books and IMO it will be short lived.

MDABE80
09-13-2016, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the nice narrative Bogo.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-13-2016, 02:33 AM
The NCAA set a precedent on two other occasions: (1) placing Penn State on probation for the child molestation issue and (2) prohibiting any NCAA events to be played in South Carolina as long as the Confederate flag flew over the State House. This is the third issue on which the NCAA has taken a moral stand. In addition, the NBA pulled its All-Star game out of Charlotte for the very same reason.

The people of North Carolina did not vote for or against this law; however, the Republican controlled House/Senate designed this law, passed it and the governor signed it into law.

What I find interesting is that until recently, I personally never even new there was a such a problem until laws either for or against this issue began to be brought up in the state houses. NC is also one of the states that had a voter ID law over turned that was also enacted by their state house.

Several states are passing more and more restrictive laws against the LBGT communities in an effort to control their liberties.

I think due to the almighty dollar, these laws will be over turned. If a few more liberal states restrict their state colleges and universities from traveling to NC then this law will be quickly over turned. Currently, the governor is running behind in the polls in his bid for re-election. This law is along the same lines as the one passed by Indiana's state house and signed into law by Governor Pence that would legally permit business to refuse to do business with LBGT community and this was eventually change.

As I said above the DOLLAR will determine if this law remains on the books and IMO it will be short lived.

Thanks Bogo. Another important yet ignored fact on this topic is that the ramifications of this law go well beyond the catchphrase, dumbed down summation "bathroom politics." The law allows any hotel or restaurant or any private business to refuse service to an LGBT person simply by saying doing so would force them (business owner) to violate their religious beliefs.

Good for the NCAA. Good for Duke. Coach K will not back down from the strong moral stance his AD has taken.

I guess those of you who think NCAA is out of line here would have been opposed to same moral stance being taken against segregation before the Civil Rights movement? Of course it'd be completely non PC to admit that in the 21st century but you should have the courage to be consistent

TexasZagFan
09-13-2016, 05:07 AM
Thanks Bogo. Another important yet ignored fact on this topic is that the ramifications of this law go well beyond the catchphrase, dumbed down summation "bathroom politics." The law allows any hotel or restaurant or any private business to refuse service to an LGBT person simply by saying doing so would force them (business owner) to violate their religious beliefs.

Good for the NCAA. Good for Duke. Coach K will not back down from the strong moral stance his AD has taken.

I guess those of you who think NCAA is out of line here would have been opposed to same moral stance being taken against segregation before the Civil Rights movement? Of course it'd be completely non PC to admit that in the 21st century but you should have the courage to be consistent

Consistency? In 2016? Surely you jest.

NFL players are being hailed as heroes for taking a knee during the national anthem, for expressing their rights. OTOH, in Oregon a couple was handed a $100K plus fine for not baking a wedding cake for a same sex couple. They thought they were expressing their rights, too.

Where does it all end? The creep, creep, creep of LGBT politics continues...they're the cool kids now. Many of us said when we opposed same sex "marriage" (over civil unions) that polygamy would be the next step. Facebook now gives their users 58 "gender options." http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users/

If the voting public in NC is strongly against that legislation, then those state legislators will be tossed out during the next election. Part of me wishes this would have happened years ago, as Davidson would not have played us so close to their home.

Thanks for "toning it down", flex...lol

willandi
09-13-2016, 05:50 AM
Part of me wishes this would have happened years ago, as Davidson would not have played us so close to their home.

The law wasn't in place then. It is a very recent response to the SCOTUS ruling on LGBT rights.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-13-2016, 06:28 AM

THIS is the overreach? The law itself is an overreach. NCAA can hold their events where they want, it's ridiculous that Duke/UNC get two home games every tourney anyway.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-13-2016, 06:45 AM
Consistency? In 2016? Surely you jest.

NFL players are being hailed as heroes for taking a knee during the national anthem, for expressing their rights. OTOH, in Oregon a couple was handed a $100K plus fine for not baking a wedding cake for a same sex couple. They thought they were expressing their rights, too.

Where does it all end? The creep, creep, creep of LGBT politics continues...they're the cool kids now. Many of us said when we opposed same sex "marriage" (over civil unions) that polygamy would be the next step. Facebook now gives their users 58 "gender options." http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users/

If the voting public in NC is strongly against that legislation, then those state legislators will be tossed out during the next election. Part of me wishes this would have happened years ago, as Davidson would not have played us so close to their home.

Thanks for "toning it down", flex...lol

Hailed as heroes.. At least one has lost endorsements. A lot of bigots don't like them and harass them on social media.

You come off like you're arguing but raise no legitimate points at all. Just whining + talking points. You ask "when does it end"... It ends when everyone has the same rights.

This was gold: "Many of us said when we opposed same sex "marriage" (over civil unions) that polygamy would be the next step. Facebook now gives their users 58 "gender options."" What? So, are you admitting that "many of us" were wrong as always? The quote there is actually two consecutive sentences you wrote :confused:.

SWZag
09-13-2016, 06:45 AM
I'm sure every state has something in place that many would warrant the NCAA to remove sporting events from their states. NCAA picks and chooses what is important to them. Maybe we should just have the NCAA tourney in Canada or Europe because people whine when they can't get their way and people's feelings get hurt too easily in this country.

First Four:
Warsaw, Poland

First Round (Day 1 & 3):
Copenhagen, Denmark
Zagreb, Croatia
Munich, Germany
Budapest, Hungary

First Round (Day 2 & 4)
Dublin, Ireland
Rome, Italy
Bucharest, Romania
Stockholm, Sweden

Regional Semi-Final and Finals:
South: Barcelona, Spain
West: London, England
East: Moscow, Russia
Midwest: Prague, Czech

NCAA Semifinals and Final:
Berlin, Germany

willandi
09-13-2016, 06:49 AM
I'm sure every state has something in place that many would warrant the NCAA to remove sporting events from their states. NCAA picks and chooses what is important to them. Maybe we should just have the NCAA tourney in Canada or Europe because people whine when they can't get their way and people's feelings get hurt too easily in this country.

First Four:
Warsaw, Poland

First Round (Day 1 & 3):
Copenhagen, Denmark
Zagreb, Croatia
Munich, Germany
Budapest, Hungary

First Round (Day 2 & 4)
Dublin, Ireland
Rome, Italy
Bucharest, Romania
Stockholm, Sweden

Regional Semi-Final and Finals:
South: Barcelona, Spain
West: London, England
East: Moscow, Russia
Midwest: Prague, Czech

NCAA Semifinals and Final:
Berlin, Germany

Why risk injury and actually play the games? Lets do it with the roll of dice...to select rebounds, shooting etc. It can all be done on the internet and let the fans take part so it is a consensus!

webspinnre
09-13-2016, 06:53 AM
Huh, and I thought the OCC had been removed from the forums.

LongIslandZagFan
09-13-2016, 07:08 AM
Closed since people can't keep the politics out of it. Whether one agrees with the law or not... it was pertinent. But as I said... people just couldn't keep their personal politics out of it.