PDA

View Full Version : Karnowski on the cover of Lindy's

ZagNative
09-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Dixie posted this on the photo thread, and I was curious to hear Maynard's response:

I'm still having a hard time getting over Oregon as number one. Maynard can explain it to me in another thread, not meaning to jack this one, but since it's staring me in the face, just registering.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cr2vnULWAAAEQWx.jpg

MDABE80
09-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Oregon no 1??

maynard g krebs
09-10-2016, 12:39 AM
My response is that I think they're trying to be shocking to sell magazines. Harder to sell print these days.

Athlon has the Ducks 5th, which seems about right. I wonder if these were written before Dillon Brooks' surgery. Athlon has him as a first team AA; Lindy's lists him as 4th best SF, and he'll be out at the beginning of the year. No mention of his injury/operation in either. He can take smaller wings off the dribble with ease, and they have used him to guard Kaminski of Wiscy and other centers with pretty good success; unique player who gives them versatility to go big or small.

Ducks do return 4 players who are listed as second rounders next year on one draft site or another in Brooks, Boucher, Bell, and Dorsey, as well as the national A/TO ratio leader in Casey Benson. They add national juco poy Kavell Bigby-Williams, giving them 3 of the nation's elite shotblockers (Bigby-Williams blocked over 200 last year in juco; Bell and Boucher have each set the school record w/ over 100 in the last 2 seasons; Boucher broke Bell's season record and Bell holds the school career record in 2 years). They should lead the nation in blocks.

They also get Dylan Ennis, who got a 6th year after breaking his foot. Altman said he was the best player on the team in preseason last year. And they have 3 four star frosh; pg Payton Pritchard is expected to have a big impact and Keith Smith has a chance to as well.

Only graduated 2 players; Cook was the only impact player gone, and they've added a lot more than him to the elite 8 team that got a 1 seed after winning both regular season and tourney titles.

Still, I think this is the only number one ranking they'll get, and probably a stretch. 4-5 ranking seems reasonable to me.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-10-2016, 05:54 AM
The teams in the Top Ten all look like they should be Top Ten teams. None of them looks like a clear cut No. 1. Oregon probably isn't a huge stretch.

Bogozags
09-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Is GU ranked in this publication?

gonzagafan62
09-10-2016, 01:56 PM
As I've Been saying the last 10 years Lindys is the worst publication for basketball and everything published or said by them should not be taken seriously

jazzdelmar
09-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Who's Nick Duncan? Looks like he could play center for the Gaels.

MontanaCoyote
09-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Nice to see Karno front and center. And that's right where he'll be with the ZAG's. Lot's of great talent around him.
Can't wait!

maynard g krebs
09-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Is GU ranked in this publication?

20th. SMC at 18. Athlon has GU 15 and SMC 21

maynard g krebs
09-10-2016, 07:09 PM
As I've Been saying the last 10 years Lindys is the worst publication for basketball and everything published or said by them should not be taken seriously

Blanchette wrote the GU and SMC pieces. Both are quite good. Burlison writes for them as well, and I think he's very good too.

Bogozags
09-11-2016, 08:35 AM
20th. SMC at 18. Athlon has GU 15 and SMC 21

Thank You!

seacatfan
09-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Oregon blew Duke out in the Tourney last year. As mentioned bring most of their key guys back. I think if Ennis supplants Benson at PG that could be a huge improvement. Benson was a low risk/low reward player. Few TO's, but hardly a scoring threat. Hit a few 3's here and there. I wasn't particularly impressed with him when I watched UO play. Brooks and Dorsey are the guys that really made that team go.

DixieZag
09-12-2016, 07:02 AM
I wish we played Oregon.

seacatfan
09-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Picked up the Athlon preview mag yesterday. Fairly good write up on the Zags. They focused largely on Karnowski's return and 3 transfers--NWG, Williams and Mathews. Dillon Brooks on the cover. Boo. How about a player from a Washington school on the regional cover?

NotoriousZ
09-12-2016, 12:32 PM
I wish we played Oregon.

Maybe next year? I think that's when they host the big Nike Tournament. Then again, there's a chance we see them in the Dance this year, although that would do nothing for our RPI at that point.