PDA

View Full Version : Sabonis in Oklahoma City

Zagdawg
09-08-2016, 06:43 AM
Tom Hudson Retweeted
OKC THUNDER ‏@okcthunder 17h17 hours ago
📻 New & exclusive. Matt Pinto on @sportsanimal talks w/Domantas Sabonis. Thunder Full Court Press 8CT tonight.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Sabonis%20in%20OKC.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Sabonis%20in%20OKC.jpg.html)

TexasZagFan
09-08-2016, 09:31 AM
What's his number in OKC? I've been trying to buy a jersey for my grandson, who turns 6 next week. Domas was by far his favorite Zag last year. No wonder, he displays the same passion for sports as Domas. The jersey will have to wait for Christmas, I bought him a new Zag tee for his birthday.

Any suggestions on how I can get a picture with him when OKC plays in Dallas?

Birddog
09-14-2016, 05:52 AM
Domus was spotted by a friend of mine in a nearby Target over the weekend. He was apparently buying stuff for his new living quarters. The friend says he was accompanied by a blond female that was nearly as tall as Domus, any ideas who that is? I'm looking forward to following DS as camp opens in a little over a week. I'm predicting that DS will start slow but become a fan fave before the season is over. His motor and enthusiasm is intoxicating.

ZagNative
09-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Maybe the blond was his sister. She's quite tall.

sittingon50
09-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Domus was spotted by a friend of mine in a nearby Target over the weekend. He was apparently buying stuff for his new living quarters. The friend says he was accompanied by a blond female that was nearly as tall as Domus, any ideas who that is? I'm looking forward to following DS as camp opens in a little over a week. I'm predicting that DS will start slow but become a fan fave before the season is over. His motor and enthusiasm is intoxicating.

His sister?

You'll find some pictures of her on P. #65 of the Zag Photo thread on the Men's Forum. Domas & family at the NBA Draft. IIRC someone said she was 6'3"? Don't know if that would qualify as "close to his size.

Edit: Thanks Native. Was looking for the pic while you posted.

Zagceo
09-14-2016, 10:53 AM
What's his number in OKC? I've been trying to buy a jersey for my grandson, who turns 6 next week. Domas was by far his favorite Zag last year. No wonder, he displays the same passion for sports as Domas. The jersey will have to wait for Christmas, I bought him a new Zag tee for his birthday.

Any suggestions on how I can get a picture with him when OKC plays in Dallas?

Looks like he will be wearing Number 3 for OKC…..LINK (http://www.nba.com/thunder/roster/)

Mojo13
09-14-2016, 11:55 AM

As I recall Mitch McGary's motor and enthusiasm was supposedly intoxicating. Unfortunately for him it is the chronic that is doing the intoxicating. Anyways, Domas has allot of work ahead of him with Adams, Kanter, Ilyasova and now Lavergne ahead of him. Throw McGary and Nick Collison into the mix and an obvious book on Domas (left side dominant) and he may be spending some time this year in the D-League to work on a few things. Love Domas and I also find his motor and enthusiasm intoxicating, but I think people should have tempered expectations at least for this first year.

Hopefully the Thunder straight cut McGary and maybe even trade off some space for Domas but right now I am not sure he sees more than 10-15 minutes a game. But hey that is pretty good for a rook and I can certainly see him being a fan favorite. Look at Steven Adams for that matter. Cripes it will be fun to see them on the floor together.

Birddog
09-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Local talking heads (Desmond Mason for one) think McGarry is toast with the Thunder and I do too. McGarry has had his chances, time for another team to take a flyer on him. I'd be surprised if DS gets more than 10 mins a game this year, hope I'm wrong.

Birddog
09-21-2016, 04:40 AM
The latest in the Oklahoman about DS and a short video.

“I grew a really great bond with the Gonzaga community and I just really wanted to go there,” he said.

http://newsok.com/domantas-sabonis-was-a-pro-before-he-came-to-okc/article/5519063

sittingon50
09-21-2016, 12:00 PM
Thanks bird.

Birddog
09-26-2016, 04:40 AM
Another story this AM

At Gonzaga, where he played two collegiate seasons, he'd routinely spend his late nights in the gym, shooting jumpers while a student manager chased rebounds. His priority in choosing an Oklahoma City apartment, he told Zags assistant Tommy Lloyd, was proximity to the Thunder's practice facility, so he could stop by late for extra court time.

Collison's thoughts re DS at the 6:00 mark of the video.

http://newsok.com/driven-to-improve-thunder-rookie-domantas-sabonis-is-his-own-harshest-critic/article/5519718

ZagNative
09-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Really good stuff, Birddog! Thanks for sharing!

Zagdawg
09-27-2016, 06:57 PM
OKC THUNDER ‏@okcthunder 11m11 minutes ago
White tops Blue 73-67.
Westbrook, Roberson, Sabonis, Price & Morrow score in double-figures. Thanks @jmbearsokc for an awesome night!

ZagNative
09-27-2016, 08:04 PM
Looks like Domas is drawing some attention in OKC!

OKC Thunder: Sabonis, Roberson impress in Thunder Blue and White scrimmage
With the Thunder headed to Spain on Friday, the schedule's been accelerated. The annual Blue and White scrimmage was played in just the Thunder's fourth day of camp.

The only points after those six possessions were from two Steven Adams free throws … then Domantas Sabonis awoke.

The 6-foot-11 rookie was impressive in his first public playing time in Oklahoma City. Sabonis scored 14 points alongside several Thunder starters from a season ago in the White Team's 73-67 win in front of a raucous crowd of 2,000 fans at John Marshall Mid-High on Tuesday.
With the Thunder headed to Spain on Friday, the schedule's been accelerated. The annual Blue and White scrimmage was played in just the Thunder's fourth day of camp.

The only points after those six possessions were from two Steven Adams free throws … then Domantas Sabonis awoke.

The 6-foot-11 rookie was impressive in his first public playing time in Oklahoma City. Sabonis scored 14 points alongside several Thunder starters from a season ago in the White Team's 73-67 win in front of a raucous crowd of 2,000 fans at John Marshall Mid-High on Tuesday.

Roberson thought despite his rookie status, Sabonis fit in well in the standing-room only gym.

“He knows the game very well,” Roberson said. “He gonna be a big part for us this year. He knows where to be on the court. He's getting familiar with everyone chemistry-wise.”

The 10-minute quarters were surprisingly intense. Price battled Westbrook (14 points) every possession on defense. Newcomer Joffery Lauvergne went down late after getting poked in the eye, which abruptly ended the scrimmage with about two minutes left in the fourth period.

But even Westbrook, ever intense on the court, took a moment of levity with the Thunder's youngest player. Sabonis looked to throw a pass over the top to Westbrook, who was cutting down the left wing, but it was a little high and went out of bounds.

Westbrook grimaced, then smiled, and was quick to go over and give Sabonis a fist bump.

“We kinda made eye contact,” Sabonis said. “We knew what we wanted to do, it just didn't work out.”

“It was my fault,” Westbrook said laughing. “I saw him but I didn't react quick enough. We get that chemistry the more and more we play with each other.”

Sabonis and Westbrook could be playing together a lot more after Tuesday night.

Zagdawg
09-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Domantas Sabonis Retweeted
Dylan Buckingham ‏@DylanBuckingham 38m38 minutes ago
Domantas Sabonis (@Dsabonis11) had a great debut with the #Thunder in the Blue/White scrimmage. 14 pts. on 5-8 shooting.

Good to see he is fitting right in!

Birddog
09-28-2016, 04:13 AM
DS is pictured on front page of main section and also the Sports section today. Here is the whole article from the Sports Section and an interview with DS.
http://newsok.com/sabonis-roberson-impress-in-thunder-blue-and-white-scrimmage/article/5520014

Sabonis and Westbrook could be playing together a lot more after Tuesday night.

Zagdawg
09-28-2016, 06:37 AM
Great representative for Gonzaga.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Sabonis101.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Sabonis101.jpg.html)

ZagNative
10-03-2016, 11:04 AM
I'm watching Domas and the Thunder playing at Madrid on NBA TV, Comcast #630.

Box score: http://scores.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400897113

ZagNative
10-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Thunder vs. Barcelona on now. I'm watching on Comcast #630. Box score (http://scores.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400897115)

Sabonis is starting.

ZagNative
10-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Another nice game for Sabonis in OKC's 92-89 win over Barcelona:

Fred Katz ‏@FredKatz 2

Kanter: 24 points, 8 boards, 9-12 shooting. Westbrook: 12 points, 5 assists, 21 minutes. Sabonis: 8 points, 2 boards, 3 assists.

Sabonis played 31 minutes.

sittingon50
10-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Another nice game for Sabonis in OKC's 92-89 win over Barcelona:

Sabonis played 31 minutes.

And 0 fouls today. Huge improvement.

northsidezagfan
10-05-2016, 02:32 PM
2/2 from 3

Birddog
10-07-2016, 05:42 AM
From today's paper (10/7/16)

DOMAS DISHES

Domantas Sabonis started both games in Spain and showed a range of skills that could help him hold onto a starting spot in the regular season.

Sabonis averaged 7.5 points per game and stretched the floor offensively. He made 3 of 4 3-point shots in two games, and his effective field-goal percentage — which takes into account 3-pointers being more valuable than twos — was 83.3 percent.

Photo - Rookie Domantas Sabonis’ passing stood out in Wednesday’s Thunder win against FC Barcelona Lassa. [AP Photo] Photo - Oklahoma City Thunder center-forward Joffrey Lauvergne jumps to the basket during a NBA Global Games basketball match between Barcelona and Oklahoma City Thunder at the Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona, Spain Wednesday Oct. 5, 2016. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)Photo - Oklahoma City Thunder center-forward Joffrey Lauvergne jumps to the basket during a NBA Global Games basketball match between Barcelona and Oklahoma City Thunder at the Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona, Spain Wednesday Oct. 5, 2016. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)
+
But perhaps more than anything, Sabonis' passing stood out. He averaged 3.5 assists per game in Spain against FC Barcelona Lassa, Sabonis had a pair of eye-popping passes.

On a first quarter pick-and-roll play, Sabonis screened for Victor Oladipo and dove to the basket as two defenders stayed with Oladipo, who passed to Sabonis. When FC Barcelona defender Ante Tomic slid into position to cut off Sabonis' drive, Enes Kanter was open under the basket. Sabonis, who'd made one right-handed dribble, switched the ball to his left hand and laid it off to Kanter for a reverse layup.

With 6:56 to play in the fourth quarter of a tie game, Sabonis penetrated and drew two defenders, then left a bounce pass to Josh Huestis as he ran the baseline for a two-handed dunk.

http://newsok.com/okc-thunder-five-observations-from-the-thunders-preseason-win-against-fc-barcelona/article/5521342

Talk about Sabonis from about 4:40 to about 10:00