PDA

View Full Version : Hype, expectations, youth among roadblocks for top 25 teams

TexasZagFan
09-07-2016, 09:40 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17476196/the-challenge-facing-team-hoops-top-25

16. Gonzaga Bulldogs
What Mark Few needs most is entirely out of his own control. He needs a healthy Przemek Karnowski. With Nigel Williams-Goss, Johnathan Williams III and Zach Collins, Few could have more weapons than he did a year ago, but how Karnowski recovers from back surgery will be key to the Zags' success. He's not just talented, he's experienced and smart, the glue that can help connect all the unique pieces that make up Gonzaga's roster. Karnowski has been cleared for basketball activities, but is understandably taking his rehab slow. -- O'Neil

19. Saint Mary's Gaels
In a word? Scheduling. In March, notoriously polite Gonzaga coach Mark Few told the Spokesman-Review that it was "time for some of these other [West Coast Conference] institutions to start picking it up" because they were "really dragging the top three down." The Gaels' absence from the NCAA tournament, despite their surprise WCC regular-season title, was an indictment of much of their league, sure, but a weak nonconference schedule did them no favors. This will be a good team, but it needs chances to prove it before January. -- Brennan

MDABE80
09-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Very nice Tex. Thanks for the post.

Reborn
09-07-2016, 10:41 AM
One of the worse write-ups I've ever read about a Gonzaga team. Yes, mentioning Karnowski's injury is ok, but they talked about no one else. I'm happy though because being underrated is better than being overrated imo.

NotoriousZ
09-07-2016, 10:47 AM
St. Mary's Gaels: In a word, scheduling...

That says it all for SMC (again). If we're as good as I think we'll be, and they don't beat us at least once, they may have to run the table in the rest of their games to get an at-large.

What is it going to take for RB and SMC to change their weak scheduling?

jazzdelmar
09-07-2016, 10:58 AM
No wonder Randy had a grouch on when I saw him last week on the beach.

DixieZag
09-07-2016, 11:03 AM
No wonder Randy had a grouch on when I saw him last week on the beach.

Has anyone ever seen Randy without a grouch on? Other than for perhaps 20 seconds after nicely shaking hands with a coach after an SMC win?

77Zag
09-07-2016, 11:13 AM
St. Mary's Gaels: In a word, scheduling...

That says it all for SMC (again). If we're as good as I think we'll be, and they don't beat us at least once, they may have to run the table in the rest of their games to get an at-large.

What is it going to take for RB and SMC to change their weak scheduling?

Can't think that any team with talent wants to get into a home and home knowing they will be playing in that Studebaker garage of a gym.

primal23
09-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Can't think that any team with talent wants to get into a home and home knowing they will be playing in that Studebaker garage of a gym.

Which is why they need to play on the road or neutral. Can't expect because they had one S16 run and beat GU from time to time, last year being the exception being 2/3, and think a good team is going to go there. Not many, best I can remember was the st joes team, played gu in the old kennel. Have to go play teams away and earn return games years later.

CDC84
09-07-2016, 11:52 AM
I am starting to feel that RB is like what Stew Morrill was at Utah State. He has taken a moral stand. "We won't play you, unless you agree to a home and home. And if it costs us a NCAA tournament bid, my belief is that our scheduling philosophy transcends any desire on our part to play in the NCAA tournament, period. We'd rather die on our horse than fall off of it." I don't think RB is EVER going to change. It's a home and home, or a neutral or neutral, or forget it. He doesn't view his program as being what Gonzaga was back in 1998. He feels it has gotten to another level....that they've won too many games to be given the low major treatment.

Unfortunately, playing in the 2 car garage is just not going to attract many BCS takers. Some fans underestimate how much the MAC has played a part in Gonzaga attracting teams like UCLA, Arizona, Michigan State, Wake Forest, Illinois, etc., to campus. Facilities do matter.

TexasZagFan
09-07-2016, 12:12 PM
I am starting to feel that RB is like what Stew Morrill was at Utah State. He has taken a moral stand. "We won't play you, unless you agree to a home and home. And if it costs us a NCAA tournament bid, my belief is that our scheduling philosophy transcends any desire on our part to play in the NCAA tournament, period. We'd rather die on our horse than fall off of it." I don't think RB is EVER going to change. It's a home and home, or a neutral or neutral, or forget it. He doesn't view his program as being what Gonzaga was back in 1998. He feels it has gotten to another level....that they've won too many games to be given the low major treatment.

Unfortunately, playing in the 2 car garage is just not going to attract many BCS takers. Some fans underestimate how much the MAC has played a part in Gonzaga attracting teams like UCLA, Arizona, Michigan State, Wake Forest, Illinois, etc., to campus. Facilities do matter.

Facilities do matter. Well said. In the WCC board, I posted a thread regarding the new arena at my son's HS, with pics. I don't know the exact cost ($10 million?), as it was one of several upgrades at the school. Over the past dozen years or so, enrollment has nearly doubled from 1800 to 3500+. Curriculum Night last week was a madhouse, I thought it was like Free Bingo Night at the UN.

With (mens/womens) basketball and volleyball teams, more courts were needed. No, we didn't build another football stadium, like Allen or McKinney. However, the competition in all sports is fierce, to include soccer and baseball.

That new facility will play host to numerous tournaments in the years to come, but I won't predict how many families will move into the area as a result. There were about a dozen boys, including my son, that have chosen to skip football to focus on basketball. It surprised us, due to his love for football. Whether or not he eventually make the team doesn't concern me. It's a year-round program now, and he's already surprised us by making the first cut. Quite a leap, considering he was on his 8th grade C team last year, and we have three middle schools feeding the HS.

Coppell's one of those schools that will always be competitive, thanks to the youth programs under the direction of the HS coaches. We just don't have the great athletes that dominate the Dallas schools like Desoto. That team alone produced ten Div I FB scholarships last year.

Sorry for the hijack...facilities do matter, more so in this day and age. I haven't been to Spokane in 15 years, and I was amazed at the new buildings back then. I remembered the quaint facilities we had, such as the Crosby Library, the COG, and a bookstore that wasn't much larger than a couple of telephone booths. IIRC, undergrad enrollment wasn't much more than 2000. There are a dozen high schools in the area that have enrollments exceeding 3500.

Reborn
09-07-2016, 12:22 PM

totally agree with everything you sais.

maynard g krebs
09-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Facilities do matter. Well said. In the WCC board, I posted a thread regarding the new arena at my son's HS, with pics. I don't know the exact cost ($10 million?), as it was one of several upgrades at the school. Over the past dozen years or so, enrollment has nearly doubled from 1800 to 3500+. Curriculum Night last week was a madhouse, I thought it was like Free Bingo Night at the UN.

With (mens/womens) basketball and volleyball teams, more courts were needed. No, we didn't build another football stadium, like Allen or McKinney. However, the competition in all sports is fierce, to include soccer and baseball.

That new facility will play host to numerous tournaments in the years to come, but I won't predict how many families will move into the area as a result. There were about a dozen boys, including my son, that have chosen to skip football to focus on basketball. It surprised us, due to his love for football. Whether or not he eventually make the team doesn't concern me. It's a year-round program now, and he's already surprised us by making the first cut. Quite a leap, considering he was on his 8th grade C team last year, and we have three middle schools feeding the HS.

Coppell's one of those schools that will always be competitive, thanks to the youth programs under the direction of the HS coaches. We just don't have the great athletes that dominate the Dallas schools like Desoto. That team alone produced ten Div I FB scholarships last year.

Sorry for the hijack...facilities do matter, more so in this day and age. I haven't been to Spokane in 15 years, and I was amazed at the new buildings back then. I remembered the quaint facilities we had, such as the Crosby Library, the COG, and a bookstore that wasn't much larger than a couple of telephone booths. IIRC, undergrad enrollment wasn't much more than 2000. There are a dozen high schools in the area that have enrollments exceeding 3500.

I remember this one time, at band camp..................................

gu03alum
09-07-2016, 01:58 PM
I remember this one time, at band camp..................................

http://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2015/07/11/635722407443953986-1321217396_BandCamp.gif

MontanaCoyote
09-07-2016, 03:58 PM
One of the worse write-ups I've ever read about a Gonzaga team. Yes, mentioning Karnowski's injury is ok, but they talked about no one else. I'm happy though because being underrated is better than being overrated imo.

These short blurbs always leave something out that could/should be included. This one at least mentioned 3 other players. And as a lot of posters (myself included) have contended for some time, we believe that Karno IS the key for the Zag's this season, just as stated in the SI account and for the same reasons........and then some.

Reborn, I like us being underrated too, but with this bunch I don't that's going to last more than about 3 or 4 games. Then, IMHO it will be a question of whether or not we can play with the fire and underdog attitude needed to stay highly rated. With these guys, I think that's the key. I think Karno will have the spark and leadership needed to make that happen.

Reborn
09-08-2016, 08:52 AM
I totally agree with you, and the article, about how valuable Karnowski is (just read what I said in a thread I started about him). I just feel that there are some guys besides Karnowski that are huge pieces of this pie. I think we all know about the talent at GU this year. I don't need to talk any more about that. I just feel that the ESPN article shed very little light on these talented young men.

TexasZagFan
09-08-2016, 09:15 AM
I totally agree with you, and the article, about how valuable Karnowski is (just read what I said in a thread I started about him). I just feel that there are some guys besides Karnowski that are huge pieces of this pie. I think we all know about the talent at GU this year. I don't need to talk any more about that. I just feel that the ESPN article shed very little light on these talented young men.

Pundits need not tread far beyond our forums for material regarding the Zags. We've got some people here that are really connected to the program. It's very helpful to someone like me who is thousands of miles from Spokane.

Or poor maynard for that matter, locked away at band camp somewhere back East. :lmao:

MontanaCoyote
09-08-2016, 01:24 PM

And You are right......many pieces to this pie! Challenge will be how to get all our talented "pieces parts" working together in who knows how many combinations. It will be fascinating to watch. My point is that I simply feel Karno will be a critical
factor in helping keep it all together. He's got the seniority of experience and maturity the team will need.
Still, those other pieces hold promise for a great season. Soooooooo much talent!!

Coach Crazy
09-08-2016, 01:51 PM
And You are right......many pieces to this pie! Challenge will be how to get all our talented "pieces parts" working together in who knows how many combinations. It will be fascinating to watch. My point is that I simply feel Karno will be a critical
factor in helping keep it all together. He's got the seniority of experience and maturity the team will need.
Still, those other pieces hold promise for a great season. Soooooooo much talent!!

It will interesting to see if they try to go 9 or 10+ on the rotation, or if it defaults to 7 or 8. It would be amazing to see a staff that can recruit for in-game rotations that are based around legitimate efficiency, instead of minutes played. That would be a step that most programs just aren't likely to make. Something to hope for, but it is more likely that things settle at 7 or 8 man rotation.

webspinnre
09-08-2016, 02:51 PM

Reborn, you should realize that these columns are ESPN's versions of clickbait - they aren't actual rankings, or analysis, they simply take one theme to talk about one thing for each of the top 25 teams in their rankings. So, one of them was about who's most likely to end up doing some sort of broadcasting, another was about famous alumni or something like that.

MJGoGaels
09-08-2016, 03:25 PM

I'll grant everthing you said. It makes us shake our heads...sometimes. Next season, the last shake off of the NCAA sanction is lifted and the Gaels get to return to the exempt tournaments for which that haven't participated in the last 2 years (nor this year) and that should help ease some of the pangs of OOC scheduling.

That said, Cal Bears are a bunch of puddy cats and won't return ever to Moraga. WTH.