PDA

View Full Version : Coaching up the transfers.

NumberCruncher
09-04-2016, 07:10 PM
This year's team has by far the most non-Zag D1 experience we've seen. Overall, the team is very experienced
with 12,632 D1 minutes. But only 44% of those minutes were with the Zags. By comparison, last year's team had 74% of its
experience with the good guys. The previous season, it was 62%. Prior to that, non-Zag D1 experience was
practically non-existent. Times have changed.

So I was wondering how well the D1 transfers have done here compared to their earlier careers. So I combined all pre-Zag stats
and compared them to the Zag stats for the recent transfers (Wiltjer, McClellan, Wesley, Nunez, Coleman and Barham).
In summary, shooting percentages, scoring efficiency, rebounding per 40 minutes and assist/turnover ratios all improved substantially.
Interestingly, their average minutes per game dropped from 23.5 to 19.0.

Then I wondered if this was just normal improvement for upperclassmen. So I looked at underclass vs. upperclass stats for
all of the recent four-year Zags (Dranginis, Pangos, Bell, Dower, Stockton, Harris and Hart). With more experience, their
minutes went up, shooting percentages went down a little and scoring efficiency stayed exactly the same, but their
assist/turnover ratios and rebounding improved significantly. I've seen a similar pattern with larger sets of Zag stats.
Shooting stats stay about the same while the other stats continually improve. Maybe it's the system?

If this group of transfers improves as well as recent transfers, then this season could turn out really well.

DixieZag
09-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Great post.

Especially since i'm not sure we've ever had a team as reliant as this one will be on transfers. One can argue that 3 out of our 5 starters could be transfers.

The improvements shown sure speak to the coaching received, even when a guy's overall scoring numbers decrease, due likely to better distribution.

jazzdelmar
09-06-2016, 08:59 AM
These are all great kids. They will fit like a glove. And 2 have been around a year.

Zagdawg
09-06-2016, 09:08 AM
3 have been around a year.

kitzbuel
09-06-2016, 09:54 AM
3 have been around a year.

Very true. Almost across the board, redshirt years at GU have proved valuable and produced good results for the players and the team.

BULLDOG#1
09-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Mathews is the the only one that hasn't been in the zag system for a year. The other three should be good to go. I expect NWG to have a great year.

The adjustment for Mathews could be a problem, but he is a senior and seems to be highly mature and smart.

This talent should gel pretty quickly.

Mantua
09-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Mathews is the the only one that hasn't been in the zag system for a year. The other three should be good to go. I expect NWG to have a great year.

The adjustment for Mathews could be a problem, but he is a senior and seems to be highly mature and smart.

This talent should gel pretty quickly.

B-Wes worked out pretty well.

hooter73
09-07-2016, 12:28 PM
agree, a 5th year or senior transfer is very different than a second year player.

Baseline
09-07-2016, 02:01 PM
We have team members from:
Poland
Japan
France
Denmark
Canada
Montana
GU must be close to having oneof the most diverse teams in the nation. Does anyone publish data on this. The motivational and technical approach to the game is wide.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Poland
Japan
France
Denmark
Canada
Montana
GU must be close to having oneof the most diverse teams in the nation. Does anyone publish data on this. The motivational and technical approach to the game is wide.

Montanans don't need passports to cross into Spokane.

We just flash our belt buckles at the Idaho border and they waive us right on through.

Baseline
09-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Montanans don't need passports to cross into Spokane.

We just flash our belt buckles at the Idaho border and they waive us right on through.

Wow, thanks Mad Man, I had no idea it was that easy. I might have to consider a trip there if it's that easy.

willandi
09-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Wow, thanks Mad Man, I had no idea it was that easy. I might have to consider a trip there if it's that easy.

Getting in is different! Only is getting out that easy!

GrizZAG
09-07-2016, 09:23 PM

Two Kayaks and three fly rods......... you are in...!

hooter73
09-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Two Kayaks and three fly rods......... you are in...!

ah but now even kayaks have to stop at those boat check stations.

I doubt its actually tracked, but if SMC is the Australian JV team, we seem to be the United Nations.

jazzdelmar
09-08-2016, 03:59 AM
Lolo Pass is a back door through Idaho and some amazing country. Especially around Orofino.

TexasZagFan
09-08-2016, 04:49 AM

Easier than trying to get out of Hotel California.

mgadfly
09-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Poland
Japan
France
Denmark
Canada
Montana

California X3
Oregon X2
Canada
Colorado
Denmark
France
Illinois
Japan
Montana
Nevada
Poland
Tennessee
Texas
Washington

The only state or country we have more than one scholarship player from is Oregon. That has to be close to the most geographically diverse team in the NCAA.

Zagdawg
09-09-2016, 10:45 AM
With every class we gain ambassadors/advocates from around the world. Been a while since we had an Aussie -- couple of other programs have had some luck recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOLm_k6eCs