• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maynard g krebs
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2009

Cans of worms and overrreactions

Mods, delete if you wish, but I was asked my reasoning for a simple, polite request in the closed thread, and it seems to have turned into a Rohrschach test of the mindsets of liberals and conservatives.

Ironically, for those that know my proclivities, the authority I would cite in my request that we call NWG by his correct name, or use the acromym is the arch conservative James Kilpatrick, author of a fine newspaper column years ago titled, I think, " the writer's art", in which he championed the proper use of words and its importance.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist (to a fault, I've been told; probably true) and the complete name in question is Williams-Goss. Goss is simply the last third of that name, so it is the functional equivalent of calling Karnowski ski, or Pangos os etc.

Nothing to do with "political correctness", lol.
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

It's an abbreviation. Longer or more complicated names get abbreviated (eg. Draino, Pendo, jwil3, Karno). You can call them nicknames, but effectively they are shortened version of the name. Last names like Perkins or Hart don't particularly lend themselves to abbreviation. Williams-Goss has a name that perfectly lends itself to abbreviation. Do you prefer WGoss? WilG?

Comment

• maynard g krebs
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
      It's an abbreviation. Longer or more complicated names get abbreviated (eg. Draino, Pendo, jwil3, Karno). You can call them nicknames, but effectively they are shortened version of the name. Last names like Perkins or Hart don't particularly lend themselves to abbreviation. Williams-Goss has a name that perfectly lends itself to abbreviation. Do you prefer WGoss? WilG?
      Since you asked- any abbreviation that is reflective of his actual name is fine by me.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

WGoss it is, then.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Why doesn't somebody just ask the young man?

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
            WGoss it is, then.
            What a relief, another world shattering crisis averted by reasoned compromise. The Congress could learn much from this board!

Comment

• Mr Vulture
              Zag for Life
              • May 2008

Why does it even matter.....as long as we aren't calling him something way off the wall like "Jenks" in regards to Perkins last year? I know I use NWG and JW3 to address the guys.

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
              Since you asked- any abbreviation that is reflective of his actual name is fine by me.

Comment

• Zagnificent
                Kennel Club Material
                • Nov 2010

I shall remain an "NWG" holdout. Anything else is blasphemy.
                GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

As long as YOU, Maynard don't begin the routine of trying to force or browbeat someone who isn't quite to your tastes. I count myself in that category. You do what you want and so can everyone on this Board. Goss is his name ( part of it anyway) and is just easier for me to type. And I'll leave it at that. We aren't calling nasty or filthy names. It's just his name. If you want to call him the longer version, so be it. NO offense but pick real important issues. This is nothing but your pet peeve.

Same people stirring the ### as were in the Crosby. The very same. We're just trying to have some basketball ( BASKETBALL. and nothing else) fun. We stick to basketball analysis and have some fun there, things will be fine. That's the purpose of this Board anyway.
                  If the other things erupt, we need a different board..........and you've seen how that worked out.

Comment

• ZagNative
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Some people are quite crabby of late.

I always enjoy Maynard's posts. He's one of the smartest, most articulate guys here. If Maynard says it's NWG, so be it for me.

Comment

• sittingon50
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Now that that is settled, maybe we should talk, really talk, about your other proclivities, maynard.

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• BurgessEraZag
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2008

Krebs is correct, literaly not politically

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                        Mods, delete if you wish, but I was asked my reasoning for a simple, polite request in the closed thread, and it seems to have turned into a Rohrschach test of the mindsets of liberals and conservatives.

Ironically, for those that know my proclivities, the authority I would cite in my request that we call NWG by his correct name, or use the acromym is the arch conservative James Kilpatrick, author of a fine newspaper column years ago titled, I think, " the writer's art", in which he championed the proper use of words and its importance.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist (to a fault, I've been told; probably true) and the complete name in question is Williams-Goss. Goss is simply the last third of that name, so it is the functional equivalent of calling Karnowski ski, or Pangos os etc.

Nothing to do with "political correctness", lol.
                        Perfectionist or not Maynard is correct. Nicknames are nicknames, proper names are proper names. Get over it "young'uns". Let's not disrespect Nigel. He's too good of a person
                        to "futz" up his name.

Comment

• Mantua
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
                          Perfectionist or not Maynard is correct. Nicknames are nicknames, proper names are proper names. Get over it "young'uns". Let's not disrespect Nigel. He's too good of a person
                          to "futz" up his name.
                          I agree 100%!

It's a matter of ordinary civility.
                          Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

I will refer to him WGoss going forward, but not sure I see the issue. Carmelo is referred to as simply Melo. The list goes on. It's not disrespectful.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                              Zag for Life
                              • Aug 2012

i agree with those who say this is simply a matter of civility, not political correctness.

for those few who have suggested compromise in their own minds to refer to nigel williams-goss as wgoss, I say good for you in you willingness to self analyze and make change.

now here is a tip, take it or leave it, why not save yourself two key strokes and go with nwg? that seems to have the consensus of most posters.

Comment

Working...
                              X