PDA

View Full Version : Which College Basketball Coach Would You Want Coaching Your Son?

Zagdawg
08-26-2016, 06:33 PM
"We asked more than 100 college basketball coaches the following question:
Which college coach would you most like your son to play for?"

Few is ranked pretty highly in this poll.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-college-coach-would-you-want-coaching-your-own-son/

gonzagafan62
08-26-2016, 07:29 PM
Only a handful.

Coach Few, Smart, Self and Marshall

Corky
08-26-2016, 08:27 PM
My brother played for Harshman and speaks well of him.

Of course it would be tough to play for him now . . .

jazzdelmar
08-27-2016, 05:00 AM
Brey

CarolinaZagFan
08-27-2016, 05:57 AM
Romar vote for himself?

bartruff1
08-27-2016, 06:01 AM
Few....good character....excellent coach....team oriented ....small school....small town....close by....great road games in the WCC....a very good chance of playing in the NCAA Tourney...

amaronizag
08-27-2016, 07:16 AM
Izzo, Brey, Thad Motta, Few

DixieZag
08-27-2016, 08:13 AM
Izzo, Few, Brey, Tommy Amaker

jazzdelmar
08-27-2016, 09:06 AM

Because then he would be at Harvard, right Dix?

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-27-2016, 09:12 AM

That's a good list.

I am amazed that Pitino got a vote.

Markburn1
08-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Nolan Richardson. Attended a coaches clinic years ago. Thought i knew basketball. Coach K, Martelli, Boeheim, etc, etc. all taught me things I never even thought of. But, Hubie Brown and Nolan Richardson were exceptional. Richardson took a group of NAIA kids and taught them his defense. Took about ten minutes. After a few MF's and "get the eff over there" he had those kids covering poop they never dreamed of getting to. He seemed to make kids man up in more ways than just on the court. 40 minutes of hell, indeed.

DixieZag
08-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Because then he would be at Harvard, right Dix?

Big part of it.

Not like he's a bad coach, look what Harvard did when he got there. He's doing it w/o elite athleticism. I suspect he knows plenty of basketball and that he's the right "type" to be around high academics, right priorities type.

demian
08-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Mike Brey

demian
08-27-2016, 08:04 PM
Nolan Richardson. Attended a coaches clinic years ago. Thought i knew basketball. Coach K, Martelli, Boeheim, etc, etc. all taught me things I never even thought of. But, Hubie Brown and Nolan Richardson were exceptional. Richardson took a group of NAIA kids and taught them his defense. Took about ten minutes. After a few MF's and "get the eff over there" he had those kids covering poop they never dreamed of getting to. He seemed to make kids man up in more ways than just on the court. 40 minutes of hell, indeed.

I read Nolan Richardson book "40 minutes of hell" a handful of years ago. One of the best books ive ever read. It was almost like reading a history book. He was such a pioneer. Remarkable coach and very underrated as far as a lot of things are concerned.

GoZags
08-28-2016, 06:46 AM
Romar vote for himself?

FINAL THOUGHT: Before I got off the phone with Tony Bennett early Friday, I asked him to answer one more question for me. I told him I knew a lot of coaches would like their sons to play for him. But I was curious which coach he'd pick for his own son.
The first name out of his mouth was ... Brad Stevens.
But Celtics coach Brad Stevens is no longer a college coach.
So I asked for a different answer.
"I can say because he's a friend and I've always respected him: Lorenzo Romar," Bennett said. "When I was [coaching] at Washington State, I never could've said that because he was our rival [at Washington]. But I can say that now. Lorenzo Romar."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/inside-college-hoops-other-coaches-think-highly-of-virginias-tony-bennett/

And it's amazing how far down the ladder your guy Roy Williams was ... 2 whole votes ahead of Romar.

Reborn
08-28-2016, 07:15 AM
Mark Few. I truly believe that Mark Few has created a program that no other coach has. What he has done at the Mid-Major level, created an elite basketball program, is quite special. I go back to Gonzaga every year. And the minute I walk on the campus I can feel that special thing that exists there. And when I've been fortunate enough to go back there when there are a lot of students around I am amazed by how friendly the students are to me. I have always been treated like someone very special. It's truly a remarkable university. And I believe that Mark Few has had a lot to do with it, But so has Gonzaga University. It's been a great match and I believe that that's why Few hasn't wanted to leave. Gonzaga has risen to the level of Notre Dame for me, and for millions of others like me. And so obviously my second choice would be Brey.

If you haven't read the article you should. I think some of you'll be quite surprised what the authors said about Mark Few. Awesome! Mark Few finished 7th. That is pretty elite and awesome.

scott257
08-29-2016, 04:12 AM
With Mark the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I have never set foot on the campus at Gonzaga and can't remember ever having a conversation with Mark as a kid but I grew up with my family attending church in Creswell where his father was pastor and I can say honestly I have never met two finer people than his mother and father. It makes it easy for me to root for Gonzaga and I see his parents influence in much of his life (strong family, dedication, public service, etc.). I live in Texas now and rarely get home to visit but when I do, I make a stop to see his parents and I look forward to the tournament in Las Vegas to visit with them as much as to see the games. His parents are both proud Gonzaga fans but the one thing they are most proud of is the fund raising that Mark and his wife do each year for Coaches vrs Cancer. It isn't at all a surprise to me that the players migrate back to Spokane after they are done playing because of the family atmosphere they experienced while playing at Gonzaga - it is much the same for me going back to Creswell to visit his folks. I would say that while it is an honor to finish 7th, I would have picked him much higher.

Coach Crazy
08-29-2016, 07:07 AM

Love defenses like that of Nolan Richardson's and Bob Kloppenburg's. Would love to have had a chance to watch that. Consider yourself fortunate. We just don't see those types of defenses, anymore.

amaronizag
08-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Nolan Richardson was great and I was hopeful that Mike Anderson would continue Nolan's defense, but the intensity has diminished with the years. I was hopeful that Rex was going to keep up his smothering/trapping defensive intensity at USF but I think the players revolted as it was only intense for a couple of years. I was a huge Paul Westhead fan also and followed ALL of his teams with great enthusiasm - NCAA, NBA, and women's teams as well. Hard to find players willing to condition that hard and play with that intensity in this day and age. I grew up playing at that pace in the midwest and I miss watching it.

Zagnificent
08-29-2016, 09:31 AM
I'm surprised crazy eyes Frank Martin didn't make the list.

Goshzagit
08-29-2016, 10:21 AM
a close friend of mine played for Tubby Smith, while he was the HC at Minnesota. Called him a "world-class human being", and still props him up as a Coach.

the fans never liked him, but his players loved playing for him. He hasn't always had the best results on the court, been fired many times, but his players are complimentary. He had a good run at Kentucky, and an above average run in MN.

His 3 sons are all bball coaches as well, this says a lot imo.

75Zag
08-29-2016, 01:28 PM
If I had a son, I would most certainly want him to be playing for John Calapari. Because if he was playing for John C, that means he would almost certainly be a 1 and done going into the NBA, and once he received his lottery-pick NBA contract he would no doubt buy his loving father a 2017 Ferrari f12tdf. To some $500,000 might seem a lot to pay for a car, but you can't replace your father's love.

Go Bulldogs!

jazzdelmar
08-29-2016, 04:09 PM
If I had a son, I would most certainly want him to be playing for John Calapari. Because if he was playing for John C, that means he would almost certainly be a 1 and done going into the NBA, and once he received his lottery-pick NBA contract he would no doubt buy his loving father a 2017 Ferrari f12tdf. To some $500,000 might seem a lot to pay for a car, but you can't replace your father's love.

Go Bulldogs!

Vroooom, vroooooom!!!!!!

CarolinaZagFan
08-29-2016, 04:28 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/inside-college-hoops-other-coaches-think-highly-of-virginias-tony-bennett/

And it's amazing how far down the ladder your guy Roy Williams was ... 2 whole votes ahead of Romar.

Oh man don't put that evil on me, I despise UNC haha. I see where you got the confusion though, should've made my name NCZagFan haha. I guess it make sense because you would like your kid to take a few classes while he was in college.

MDABE80
08-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Few , Izzo, Brey and Bennett. Coach K is couched in a system that makes him look like a father figure but I don't think so. Very few are but those 4 guys I chose are superior in my view. I suspect it's not just the coach though. In large part it's the university that surrounds each man.

TexasZagFan
08-30-2016, 05:27 AM

Love Nolan Richardson. While he was at Arkansas, he had an annual charity event at his old HS in El Paso. It was heavily attended by his current players, and several that went on to the NBA. Always a class act.

My kid could play for him and Don Haskins, anytime. And of course, Few.

TexasZagFan
08-30-2016, 05:28 AM
Few , Izzo, Brey and Bennett. Coach K is couched in a system that makes him look like a father figure but I don't think so. Very few are but those 4 guys I chose are superior in my view. I suspect it's not just the coach though. In large part it's the university that surrounds each man.

How many "father figures" have the mouth of a merchant marine? lol