PDA

View Full Version : Zags have some tough shoes to fill

Reborn
08-05-2016, 06:42 PM
I've been watching our last 6 games last year and it was awesome seeing THAT team play again and to remember what a great end to a very tough season. It was one of my favorite All-Time teams. 4 starters will be gone. Watching Sabonis playing again was such a pleasure. That kid was just so intense and such a winner. He was really something special at the end of the season when they finished in the top 16 in the NCAA Tournament. McClelland was also awewsome as was Wiltjer and Dranginis. We WILL really miss these guys and what they DID last year. What they did last year is what I love most about Gonzaga basketball.

I also watched the HBO series on Gonzaga and March to Madness. What an incredible series on Gonzaga basketball. I'm so glad I taped those events. The two BYU games, the victory over Saint Mary's to win the WCC Tournament, the victory over Seton Hall and Utah and the ALMOST hard fought loss to Syracuse were just awesome games. They almost made it back to the Elite 8.

Losing 4 starters is going to be tough, and I'm thinking we may struggle at the beginning of the season like we did last year. We have a couple really tough guards back in Perkins and Melson. Those two kids played so well in that run last season, and these two guys are tough on both D and the boards. Not much good has been said about Melson so far this summer, but when I rewatched those games, he had a huge part in those victories. His shot was good, and his defense just awesome. And Perkins was every bit the player that we hoped he would be when he was recruited. I really didn't notice how great he played last year until last night when I watched those games. He's a great point guard who is only going to get better. I am glad we have these two guards returning, because they DO know how to win. I'm not looking past Melson for next year, and I'm certainly expecting a very good year from him, even it's just comin off the bench as he did last year.

We have a lot of talented players coming in to play next year. We have a few really good transfers and a whole lot of freshmen who are untested. It's going to be a team that will have the most new faces on the floor than I think any team in the last 18 years. If this new talent mixes well with the old Zag System I think we are in for a great season and maybe the best ever. but there are so many questions to answer before we will really know how good they will be. I think we all look forward to seeing them play, but if you have time in the next couple months, go back and watch last years team, and remember once again, what it means to be a Zag. If I were the coach, I would have all the new players watch the HBO special and watch video of the last six games last year. Above all else, the new guys must learn what it means to be a Zag!!!

Go Zags!!!

zag67
08-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Reborn, nice comments. I also believe that early is going to have many ups and downs. I am just hoping that the ups in each game out score the downs. Hope you are having a great summer.

Reborn
08-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Thanks Zag67. I am. And I hope you and your family are too. Looking forward to seeing this board come alive again October-November. And of course really looking forward to sharing another season with you and everyone else who writes here.

Go Zags!!!

MontanaCoyote
08-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Yes, a nice overview and perspective. Just add my usual....... Karno's The Key........on and off the court. The "glue" that will keep it all together as the team comes together and beyond. What a season to look forward to!

seacatfan
08-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Many of the top college programs have large turnover on a nearly yearly basis. Welcome to the party Zags.

gonzagafan62
08-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Reborn nice to see you again. Hope all is well. Can't wait for the crystal ball.

Overall nice perspective. Very if shoes to fill for sure. I think we got the guys to do it however. Should be another awesome year for our favorite team.

Go!!!!! Zags!!!!!

Reborn
08-12-2016, 07:20 AM
It's always a little hard for me to say "goodbye" to some guys who I fell in love with last year. But, as you say, we have some new special guys to fill those shoes. Each day that passes we get closer to November. lol