Dec. 1 MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE SPOKANE
Dec. 3 Arizona Los Angeles, CA
Dec. 7 WASHINGTON SPOKANE
Dec. 10 AKRON SPOKANE
Dec. 18 Tennessee Nashville, TN
Dec. 21 SOUTH DAKOTA SPOKANE

Men’s Basketball Releases Non-Conference Schedule
Gonzaga faces Arizona, San Diego State and Washington in 2016-17

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga men's basketball head coach Mark Few announced his team's 12-game non-conference schedule for the upcoming season Friday.

The non-conference slate features seven games inside the McCarthey Athletic Center. The Zags face a potential of six teams that advanced to the postseason in 2015-16, including three that finished in the NCAA Tournament.

Gonzaga will play on three neutral courts, with a matchup against perennial power Arizona in the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Dec. 3. The Bulldogs also face Tennessee in Nashville and are a participant in the eight-team AdvoCare Invitational in Orlando, Fla.

“We have another really tough non-conference schedule and are excited to take part in a great neutral court tournament in Orlando,” Few said. “Our strength of schedule will serve us well to prepare for what will also be a strong league schedule.”

After an exhibition with West Georgia at the McCarthey Athletic Center on Nov. 5, the Zags open the regular season at home versus Utah Valley on Nov. 11. It will be the first-ever meeting between GU and the Wolverines. UVU finished fourth in the Western Athletic Conference last season.

San Diego State and Gonzaga begin a home-and-home series in Spokane on Nov. 14, with the Bulldogs returning to San Diego in 2017-18. It will be the third all-time meeting between the programs and the first since 2010. The three-time defending Mountain West Conference regular-season champion Aztecs won 28 games last season.

Bryant returns to Spokane for a matchup with GU on Nov. 18. The Zags eased to a 100-76 win in the first-ever meeting in 2013. Sam Dower led Gonzaga with 21 points and 17 rebounds, while Przemek Karnowski added 10 points. Bryant, also nicknamed the Bulldogs, welcomes back its top four scorers, including the 2015-16 Northeast Conference Rookie of the Year Marcel Pettway.

Gonzaga opens the AdvoCare Invitational against Quinnipiac in another first-ever meeting. The Zags will face either Florida or Seton Hall in their second game inside the HP Field House at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. NCAA Tournament teams Miami and Iowa State are on the opposite side of the bracket, along with Stanford and Indiana State.

The Bulldogs begin December against Mississippi Valley State on the first. GU won the only previous meeting with the Delta Devils, 92-74, in the 2009 season-opener.

Arizona and Gonzaga square off for the fourth straight season, along with the fifth time out of the last six years. The Wildcats rallied for a 68-63 win in Spokane last season. The teams battled to an overtime finish in Tucson in 2014. The 2016 meeting takes place in the inaugural Hoophall LA showcase presented by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. The game will be the first of a doubleheader inside the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.

The Bulldogs meet another Pac-12 foe on Dec. 7, when they begin a home-and-home series with Washington. This year’s matchup is in Spokane, with the 2017-18 game in Seattle. The Huskies finished last season in the second round of the NIT with 19 wins.

Gonzaga welcomes Akron on Dec. 10. The Zips return three starters and nine letterwinners from last season's squad that won the Mid-American Conference regular season title and ended the year in the NIT. Akron matched a school-record with 26 victories in 2015-16.

On Dec. 18, the Zags make a trek to Nashville, Tenn., for a matchup with Tennessee inside Bridgestone Arena. GU held off the Volunteers last season in Seattle, 86-79. Tennessee’s roster features only three upperclassmen, but includes senior Robert Hubbs III, who averaged double digits in scoring last season.

Gonzaga closes its non-conference slate at home versus South Dakota on Dec. 21. The Bulldogs won the only other matchup with USD, 96-58, in 2012. Karnowski led all scorers with 20 points in that win in Spokane. The Coyotes won 14 games last season, before falling in the opening round of the Summit League tournament.

“From a scheduling standpoint, we are excited about the strength of our non-conference opponents, but we are disappointed to not be able to book a Battle in Seattle opponent this year,” Director of Athletics Mike Roth said. “Our presence in Seattle is very important to us, and we have had great support every game we’ve played there. We worked very hard to find a quality opponent for the Battle in Seattle, as we’ve found that having a quality opponent is key to the success of the game and also to the success of our program as it builds a strong annual resume. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to find that right fit this year. We will continue to work on finding future opponents so that we can provide Zag alums and fans in the Seattle area top-flight Gonzaga Basketball.”

Gonzaga ended last season in the Sweet 16 with a 28-8 record. The Zags advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the 18th straight season after claiming their 19th West Coast Conference title.

Angelo Roncalli
08-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Somebody's going ask "Why is GU playing West Georgia and not Whitworth, Lewis & Clark, etc.?

West Georgia is coached by Mike Cooney. Mike is a GU graduate and former MBB student manager . His family are long-time GU boosters. Mike is a Zag.

When Germayne Forbes and Jay Sherrell transferred, they wound up at W. Georgia; Forbes went on to be all-conference his senior year.

It will be great to see Mike back in Spokane.

MDABE80
08-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Nice Angelo! I didn't wonder but it's always great to support the Zag Family!! Good to see Mike back in town.

TravelinZag
08-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Since 3 games are part of a tournament, doesn't this leave room for one additional game? A date (perhaps the slot for the cancelled BIS), and an opponent would have to be found, but think Zags are allowed 31 games.

bartruff1
08-05-2016, 01:02 PM
So why aren't we playing Whitworth or Lewis and Clark ???

ZagsObserver
08-05-2016, 01:41 PM
I would have liked one of those teams above to be replaced by either wsu or eastern in the Spokane arena. Play a local team that fans have the ability to see in-person.

ZagNative
08-05-2016, 01:45 PM
I would have liked one of those teams above to be replaced by either wsu or eastern in the Spokane arena. Play a local team that fans have the ability to see in-person.Absolutely.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-05-2016, 01:53 PM
This would be a good year to play at UW. We have a lot of home games, no road games, and nothing in Seattle.

ZagaZags
08-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Since 3 games are part of a tournament, doesn't this leave room for one additional game? A date (perhaps the slot for the cancelled BIS), and an opponent would have to be found, but think Zags are allowed 31 games.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpHZSnkUAAAaCzk.jpg

10 - OOC Games.
3 - Advocare.
18 - WCC.

Edit, I counted the exhibition game. (My bad)

30 Games.

gonzagafan62
08-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Why couldn't Bryant or Utah valley or South Dakota be Washington state?

primal23
08-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Why couldn't Bryant or Utah valley or South Dakota be Washington state?

Because it would require a home game in Pullman.

hooter73
08-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Honestly, not too many big names on that schedule.

As a wise man once said, just win.

jazzdelmar
08-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Daunting, it is not.

Reborn
08-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Honestly, not too many big names on that schedule.

As a wise man once said, just win.

Come on! Arizona, Stanford, Florida, Miami, Seton Hall (won the Big East Tournament last year and would love to play us), Tennessee, UW, San Diego St. and Akron is a good team. We played them in the NCAA Tournament a few years back, and they almost always win their conference. Arizona, Florida, Miami, Seton Hall San Diego St and the UW could all be top 50 teams in the RPI. I think these are good games and I love the schedule. I think Seton Hall returns all their starters.

Zagdawg
08-05-2016, 08:05 PM
Whitehead went to the draft and Gordon graduated from Seton Hall ----they lost #1 and #5 scorers (the two leading scorers from our game against them). They do bring in a top 100 shooting guard in Powell.

MDABE80
08-05-2016, 09:36 PM
SDSU, Zona, Seton Hall /Florida, Akron, UW ....isn't tough enough? I know they all have my attention. Maybe not the biggest of names but I see some hard games in the OOC.

gonzagafan62
08-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Because it would require a home game in Pullman.

Dumb logic. Not your logic. I appreciate the response. I'd give up a home game vs Idaho State Technological Institute of blind truck drivers to go play @ Pullman

gonzagafan62
08-05-2016, 09:38 PM
SDSU, Zona, Seton Hall /Florida, Akron ....isn't tough enough? I know they all have my attention. Maybe not the biggest of names but Isee some hard games in the OOC.

Only three games worry me. Arizona, SDSU and Championship of that tournament. We are killing Seton Hall or Florida

cjm720
08-05-2016, 11:03 PM
No true road games?

jazzdelmar
08-06-2016, 03:04 AM
SDSU, Zona, Seton Hall /Florida, Akron, UW ....isn't tough enough? I know they all have my attention. Maybe not the biggest of names but I see some hard games in the OOC.

Disagree, Doc. This is a nice OOC schedule for a P5 team that has ample opportunity to make points during the regular season. A weak field in the tourney does no favors and SDSU is still perceived as a regional player not a national one. So is Setonia. The Zips? Please Only Zona adds luster and this is not Billy D's Gators by any means. Good schedule for new parts getting fitted in, I concede that, but not one for a top 5 or top 10 aspirant, IMO.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-06-2016, 03:26 AM
Disagree, Doc. This is a nice OOC schedule for a P5 team that has ample opportunity to make points during the regular season. A weak field in the tourney does no favors and SDSU is still perceived as a regional player not a national one. So is Setonia. The Zips? Please Only Zona adds luster and this is not Billy D's Gators by any means. Good schedule for new parts getting fitted in, I concede that, but not one for a top 5 or top 10 aspirant, IMO.

I'm w you Jazz. A solid but by no means great out of conference schedule good for this team with so many new players. I sure hope Zags aim higher with 2017-18 schedule as we will have a veteran team quite possibly top 10 ranking...gotta hunt the big game: UNC, Duke, Kansas

Reborn
08-06-2016, 05:38 AM
Here are some of my thoughts on scheduling. First: teams like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Syracuse and maybe a few others will never come into the Kennel to play Gonzaga. AND Few will no longer schedule games with these top teams that are not home and home. In his mind Gonzaga is on an equal plane as they are. And I agree with him. I think when scheduling non conference games, most likely he wants to schedule 4 or 5 games with teams in the top 50, or teams that could make the NCAA Tournament. The Orlando Advocare Tournament is a pretty good tournament with teams like Miami, Iowa St, Florida and Seton Hall could make the NCAA Tournament. Miami and Iowa St should be in the top 50. And playing Florida or Seton Hall early in the season will be a real test. PLaying Tennessee in Tennessee is a road game and should be a tough game. Arizona in LA is certainly going to be tough, and they will be a top 50 team this year. San Diego St, imo, is better than Jazz thinks. In the last five years they have had good to great teams. I'm glad we're playing them at home this year. But IMO they are a top 50 and certainly a top 100 team. Finally, the UW game is ALWAYS a great game to play. I'm so happy they're on our OOC schedule once again, and who knows they could always be a top 50 team and certainly a top 100 team. The problem Gonzaga had last year was that they lost many of those OOC games that were in the top 50 or even top 100. We even lost a number of home games last year. I am hoping they don't have that problem this year. I agree with Jazz when he says that for this Gonzaga team this is a good schedule.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-06-2016, 07:35 AM
Here are some of my thoughts on scheduling. First: teams like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Syracuse and maybe a few others will never come into the Kennel to play Gonzaga. AND Few will no longer schedule games with these top teams that are not home and home. In his mind Gonzaga is on an equal plane as they are. And I agree with him. I think when scheduling non conference games, most likely he wants to schedule 4 or 5 games with teams in the top 50, or teams that could make the NCAA Tournament. The Orlando Advocare Tournament is a pretty good tournament with teams like Miami, Iowa St, Florida and Seton Hall could make the NCAA Tournament. Miami and Iowa St should be in the top 50. And playing Florida or Seton Hall early in the season will be a real test. PLaying Tennessee in Tennessee is a road game and should be a tough game. Arizona in LA is certainly going to be tough, and they will be a top 50 team this year. San Diego St, imo, is better than Jazz thinks. In the last five years they have had good to great teams. I'm glad we're playing them at home this year. But IMO they are a top 50 and certainly a top 100 team. Finally, the UW game is ALWAYS a great game to play. I'm so happy they're on our OOC schedule once again, and who knows they could always be a top 50 team and certainly a top 100 team. The problem Gonzaga had last year was that they lost many of those OOC games that were in the top 50 or even top 100. We even lost a number of home games last year. I am hoping they don't have that problem this year. I agree with Jazz when he says that for this Gonzaga team this is a good schedule.

So you're saying Few and Zags are too good for the anyone anytime anywhere junkyard dog attitude that got em this far? Too bad if true. I'd take an away or neutral game vs the blue bloods with no return game any year

gonzagafan62
08-06-2016, 07:45 AM
So you're saying Few and Zags are too good for the anyone anytime anywhere junkyard dog attitude that got em this far? Too bad if true. I'd take an away or neutral game vs the blue bloods with no return game any year

Me too. Our recent pickiness with scheduling is really annoying me. We are annually a top 16 team. But no way do we get the respect we deserve till we get to a final four. Sad but true. We MUST stop acting like babies or we will be in a position with a damn good team but be an 11 seed barely making it every season.

This is pathetic!!!!!!!!!

If I was a blue blood I wouldn't do a home and home with Gonzaga either

thegloriousgoateeofKP
08-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Dumb logic. Not your logic. I appreciate the response. I'd give up a home game vs Idaho State Technological Institute of blind truck drivers to go play @ Pullman

While I would love to play WSU too, playing them ON THE ROAD is NOT a good idea for any team with Tourney aspirations. Quite simply, the Committee has repeatedly failed to understand how much harder it is to win on the road than at home. Beat WSU in Pullman, we get no credit whatsoever from the Committee. "It's just Wazzu, they stink!"

Lose to them in Pullman (which we very well might...road games in college basketball are really hard), and we get knocked down multiple seed lines.

These articles explain it much better than I can:

https://thecauldron.si.com/nevermonmouth-6d2e8a71ea27#.t7220c67w

http://basketballpredictions.blogspot.com/2015/12/how-to-inflate-your-resume-how-texas.html

jazzdelmar
08-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Me too. Our recent pickiness with scheduling is really annoying me. We are annually a top 16 team. But no way do we get the respect we deserve till we get to a final four. Sad but true. We MUST stop acting like babies or we will be in a position with a damn good team but be an 11 seed barely making it every season.

This is pathetic!!!!!!!!!

If I was a blue blood I wouldn't do a home and home with Gonzaga either

Amen.

gonzagafan62
08-06-2016, 08:57 AM
While I would love to play WSU too, playing them ON THE ROAD is NOT a good idea for any team with Tourney aspirations. Quite simply, the Committee has repeatedly failed to understand how much harder it is to win on the road than at home. Beat WSU in Pullman, we get no credit whatsoever from the Committee. "It's just Wazzu, they stink!"

Lose to them in Pullman (which we very well might...road games in college basketball are really hard), and we get knocked down multiple seed lines.

These articles explain it much better than I can:

https://thecauldron.si.com/nevermonmouth-6d2e8a71ea27#.t7220c67w

http://basketballpredictions.blogspot.com/2015/12/how-to-inflate-your-resume-how-texas.html

Understand what your saying, but if you even escape with a win in Pullman, your RPI stays in the upper tier of the RPI ratings. If you lose its not damaged. The problem is if you lose at home. We have no true road games. This would be a nice year to add WAZZOU to the schedule and play a road game. You notice after we lost to BYU at home last year our RPI dropped over 30 pts ????

Losing home games is a definite no no. Losing to San Francisco like we did three years in a row didn't really hurt anything.

If you want a just a home schedule with WAZZOU that's more dangerous in my opinion than a home and home series. I'm actually disappointed that we added Washingtons home and home over WAZZOU. Neither is a real threat to do anything.

Zagdawg
08-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Nothing like opinions with no knowledge of what is going on in the background with scheduling which for many of the games is occurring multiple years in advance (see Arizona/UW/Tennessee/Advocare) ---they play teams where they may have a friends or ex-staff working on the team, they play teams as part of a promise they may have made a current player on our roster, then they plug the holes that are left with the best options that are available.

I think everyone wishes schedules can be better (i.e. every year we get Duke, Kentucky, Maryland, Kansas and North Carolina)--but now we are complaining about schedules with Arizona, Florida, Miami, Stanford, San Diego State, Seton Hall and UW........ now that WHINE is REALLY annoying to me. Probably the same peeps that whine about who we play in the Battle in Seattle and when we don't play in the Battle in Seattle because the opponent did not work out.

The staff and the Zags owe us nothing--what they do they do for what is best for the program (and trying to schedule the best games available is part of that).

Go Zags

Zagdawg
08-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Let me help you out on why is is better to play UW vs. Washington State

Pullman is not a recruiting mecca ---we want to recruit the Seattle and surrounding area

One program is on the upswing (UW #2 recruiting class in 2017---and 2018 looks good so far also)

UW has the potential #1 pick in the 2017 draft in Fultz

One team has a decent chance to dance due to the talent being brought in ---the other is hoping for a CBI invite

jazzdelmar
08-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Nothing like opinions with no knowledge of what is going on in the background with scheduling which for many of the games is occurring multiple years in advance (see Arizona/UW/Tennessee/Advocare) ---they play teams where they may have a friends or ex-staff working on the team, they play teams as part of a promise they may have made a current player on our roster, then they plug the holes that are left with the best options that are available.

I think everyone wishes schedules can be better (i.e. every year we get Duke, Kentucky, Maryland, Kansas and North Carolina)--but now we are complaining about schedules with Arizona, Florida, Miami, Stanford, San Diego State, Seton Hall and UW........ now that WHINE is REALLY annoying to me. Probably the same peeps that whine about who we play in the Battle in Seattle and when we don't play in the Battle in Seattle because the opponent did not work out.

The staff and the Zags owe us nothing--what they do they do for what is best for the program (and trying to schedule the best games available is part of that).

Go Zags

A bit defensive, maybe? Most here understand the Byzantine business of CBB scheduling. But in the absence of whys and wherefores when it comes to a particular game or opponent, we are left with just opinion. At the same time, it's pretty evident this schedule is not a ten. Any fan would concede that point. And it pales by comparison to some in the recent past. The overarching point is that with GU elevating its program by several levels why is that happening? At the very least the schedule should be commensurate with the talent of the roster. Even with new players, the team should waltz thru the OCC and the dreary WCC; with maybe 3-4 losses. Not much of a test for such a high quality team.

ZagsGoZags
08-06-2016, 10:04 AM
I will speak for the fans who drive in a Spokane radius to see the zags each year, who do not have season tickets or access to games in the Kennel.
What do we drive to because it is the ONLY way to see the zags play (before LV)?

Battle in Seattle is 280 miles.
WSU at Pullman (like last year) is 90 miles.
somebody (WSU, EWU, Memphis, etc.) in the Spokane Arena
Portland Pilots at Chiles Center 350 miles

This OCC schedule stinks for us. I am not saying Few should schedule for us. I am just saying this year our only opportunity is Portland, which is bad news for us.
First the Zags build a basketball house that only takes 6000 people but would sell out 9000 every game. Then they stop playing in the Arena which holds 11,700 for basketball. Remember the Memphis game we lost by one point in there? The entire Arena was outdoing the Kennel Club most of the whole game, probably getting some .of the staid season ticket holders out of their seats with perhaps a holler once or twice during that game. At least there was the BIS which is not here this year. Last year, if my memory is correct, the Beasley Coliseum was almost filled, with the same capacity as the Spokane Arena at 11,700.

This we have been shafted ROYALE. We are one of the only perennial top 20 teams in the nation with this problem I am sure, because nearly all of them are big schools with big gyms. Should Few have scheduled at least one game for us? No. He should schedule as he sees fit for the needs of the success of the zags, in his view, which he is doing. I can't second guess him on that.

All I can say is this year we have been thrown down the rat hole.

bartruff1
08-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Stanford ??? I don't see them on the schedule..

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Stanford ??? I don't see them on the schedule..

They're in the Orlando tournament.

Reborn
08-06-2016, 10:32 AM
The Zags are in a different world now in basketball. And I am one who believes it will not play anyone, anywhere, or any time, and if you call out people who see those days are gone babies, than you are certainly blind and prejudiced. I believe the coaching staff has done great in scheduling. Afterall, they made it to the Elite 8 and Sweet 16 the past two years. And Jazz, because the Zags have lots of talent this year, it doesn't mean they will waltz through the OOC schedule or Conference play. I remember you feeling that way last year too, and NO ONE believed that St Mary's would beat us, but I do remember that I believed that they could. So many of you underappreciate conference play. The Zags WILL NOT WALTZ through eithe OOC play or conference play. That's a guarantee.

MDABE80
08-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Kind of sounding like corporate basketball is the order of the day instead of "anyone, anytime, anywhere" which has been our calling card. In some ways this is smart (for the brand), but it's an abandonment of our core attitude till recently. I guess this is what happems when you move up the chain.
Not much on the road and concoct a schedule that fits your goal. I still don't think this is a creampuff scheule though. This is a unique year with only 1 starter returning. We have some talented kids joining. It'll take a while to make this group gel.... Maybe Few knows best when it comes to this schedule.

bartruff1
08-06-2016, 11:40 AM
ESPN

maynard g krebs
08-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Understand what your saying, but if you even escape with a win in Pullman, your RPI stays in the upper tier of the RPI ratings. If you lose its not damaged. The problem is if you lose at home. We have no true road games. This would be a nice year to add WAZZOU to the schedule and play a road game. You notice after we lost to BYU at home last year our RPI dropped over 30 pts ????

Losing home games is a definite no no. Losing to San Francisco like we did three years in a row didn't really hurt anything.

If you want a just a home schedule with WAZZOU that's more dangerous in my opinion than a home and home series. I'm actually disappointed that we added Washingtons home and home over WAZZOU. Neither is a real threat to do anything.

A couple of points. Regardless of direct effect on RPI, a road loss at WSU if they are over 200 will be seen as a "bad loss" by the committee and would drop the Zags a seed line or 2. UW will be at least top 100 and not seen as a bad loss on the road, maybe not even at home. They will have program changing stars the next two years in Fultz and Porter, and Romar has done well when he has stars of this caliber who can overcome his deficiencies.

As to the overall noncon sched, I'm in agreement that it's ok for this year, given that it's largely a new team that will have some growing pains early in the year. You don't want any confidence killing blowout losses while the team gels. And there's the fact that SMC and BYU both could be top 50 rpi teams, or better, adding 5-6 top 50 games to those in the noncon sched.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Kind of sounding like corporate basketball is the order of the day instead of "anyone, anytime, anywhere" which has been our calling card. In some ways this is smart (for the brand), but it's an abandonment of our core attitude till recently. I guess this is what happems when you move up the chain.
Not much on the road and concoct a schedule that fits your goal. I still don't think this is a creampuff scheule though. This is a unique year with only 1 starter returning. We have some talented kids joining. It'll take a while to make this group gel.... Maybe Few knows best when it comes to this schedule.

Agree 100% with you Abe.

Just because Zags have "built the brand" so shockingly well (and far beyond what anyone could've imagined back in '99 when it all began) does not mean I have to like the idea of surrendering the anyone, anytime, anywhere attitude that made it all possible. Don't hate on those of us who prefer heart over smart Reborn.

Zagdawg
08-06-2016, 02:08 PM
I have seen---If someone really wants to go to a Zag game the tickets sell for $60-$100 or cheaper when the students are gone on Craigslist or during the earlier preseason games-- so there are alternatives to Vegas to see the Zags.

ZagsGoZags
08-06-2016, 02:47 PM
thanks ZagDawg
I'll look into that

Reborn
08-06-2016, 02:56 PM
Agree 100% with you Abe.

Just because Zags have "built the brand" so shockingly well (and far beyond what anyone could've imagined back in '99 when it all began) does not mean I have to like the idea of surrendering the anyone, anytime, anywhere attitude that made it all possible. Don't hate on those of us who prefer heart over smart Reborn.

Not hating on anyone. As usual I'm just trying to share my opinion. I don't have any inside info. I just believe that it's a different time now than it was 4,5,6,7 years ago. The program has changed. Few is able to recruit at a very high level now. And Gonzaga has achieved a certain status in college basketball, and deserve respect. It's do not that It's about smarts vs heart. It's about pride in what the Zags have done. I'm sure you know me, and I'm all about heart. I'm all with you that when scheduling OOC games I want to play Duke, Kansas, ect ect. But I want a home and home series. I don't want to play Duke on their floor or even in Madison Square Garden unless they come to K2 or at least Key Arena and certainly the Spokane Arena. It's only fair. If we play in their place year after year after year like we used to do, what good does it do to just chalk up loss after loss after loss. I like playing Arizona, Miami, Iowa St, Florida, San Diego St, Seton Hall, UW. And I am glad these teams are willing to play us in a home and home series. More and more teams are now willing to show us the respect we deserve. And it may sound like arrogance to you, but to me it's not. It's called justice. When a team has built a program as good as Gonzaga's is, that team deserves the respect that a home and home series gives a team. You know that those teams you've mentioned that you want to play won't come over to Spokane in play in K2. So give me one good reason that we should go over there.

RenoZag
08-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Somebody's going ask "Why is GU playing West Georgia and not Whitworth, Lewis & Clark, etc.?

West Georgia is coached by Mike Cooney. Mike is a GU graduate and former MBB student manager . His family are long-time GU boosters. Mike is a Zag.

When Germayne Forbes and Jay Sherrell transferred, they wound up at W. Georgia; Forbes went on to be all-conference his senior year.

It will be great to see Mike back in Spokane.

Coach Cooney's Bio, Background Info here:
http://www.uwgsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=508&path=mbball

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Not hating on anyone. As usual I'm just trying to share my opinion. I don't have any inside info. I just believe that it's a different time now than it was 4,5,6,7 years ago. The program has changed. Few is able to recruit at a very high level now. And Gonzaga has achieved a certain status in college basketball, and deserve respect. It's do not that It's about smarts vs heart. It's about pride in what the Zags have done. I'm sure you know me, and I'm all about heart. I'm all with you that when scheduling OOC games I want to play Duke, Kansas, ect ect. But I want a home and home series. I don't want to play Duke on their floor or even in Madison Square Garden unless they come to K2 or at least Key Arena and certainly the Spokane Arena. It's only fair. If we play in their place year after year after year like we used to do, what good does it do to just chalk up loss after loss after loss. I like playing Arizona, Miami, Iowa St, Florida, San Diego St, Seton Hall, UW. And I am glad these teams are willing to play us in a home and home series. More and more teams are now willing to show us the respect we deserve. And it may sound like arrogance to you, but to me it's not. It's called justice. When a team has built a program as good as Gonzaga's is, that team deserves the respect that a home and home series gives a team. You know that those teams you've mentioned that you want to play won't come over to Spokane in play in K2. So give me one good reason that we should go over there.

Thanks Reborn. You make perfect sense but I'd still take a shot at Duke in Cameron without a return game from them. My one good reason: to give the players the opportunity to play in a legendary venue and, most importantly, the opportunity to beat Duke and Coach K on their home court.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
08-06-2016, 03:39 PM
A couple of points. Regardless of direct effect on RPI, a road loss at WSU if they are over 200 will be seen as a "bad loss" by the committee and would drop the Zags a seed line or 2. UW will be at least top 100 and not seen as a bad loss on the road, maybe not even at home.

@gonzagafan62 — Maynard is right on with this.

It's HARD to win in Pullman. About as difficult as winning at home against a middle-of-the-road Power 5 team (Stanford, Tennessee, K. St, etc.) The Committee doesn't recognize that. At all.

So while you're right a loss to WSU at home would be crippling, SO WOULD A LOSS ON THE ROAD, regardless of how irrational that is. (And unfortunately, because the Committee is so outdated, they probably would consider them about the same). And that's why we need to avoid playing OOC road games against bad teams. Because if we're having a year like last year and then we don't win the WCC Tourney, I PROMISE a loss in Pullman would really hurt our chances of getting in. Avoid them at all cost. They're no-win scenarios for us.

It REALLY hurts the Monmouths and Valpos of the world, who have no choice but to play conference games on the road. They lose 1 or 2 of them to some bottom-feeder (and they're bound to, because again, winning on the road is really hard), and the Committee dings them for it.

seacatfan
08-06-2016, 03:41 PM
They will have program changing stars the next two years in Fultz and Porter, and Romar has done well when he has stars of this caliber who can overcome his deficiencies.

I don't think that I'd agree with that statement. Two of his biggest profile recruits previously were Hawes and Wroten, and both missed going to the Dance in their single year at UW. His best teams have been full of veterans, many of whom were under the radar recruits when they arrived. Guys like Robinson and Roy became stars, but they weren't rated even remotely close to the likes of Fultz and Porter coming out of HS.

seacatfan
08-06-2016, 03:50 PM
At least in regards to last year, the difficulty of winning in Pullman is being overstated a bit. They won ONE conference game last year. They were 1-8 in conference at home (and the W came at the beginning of January, so a LONG losing streak after that). So...not really that hard to win in Pullman.

bartruff1
08-06-2016, 05:29 PM
If Gonzaga gets a opportunity to play a elite program, no matter where the game is played, they will take it ......Just my opinion ...

Zagdawg
08-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Agree with Bart ---don't think our Zags are dodging good teams.

maynard g krebs
08-06-2016, 06:56 PM
I don't think that I'd agree with that statement. Two of his biggest profile recruits previously were Hawes and Wroten, and both missed going to the Dance in their single year at UW. His best teams have been full of veterans, many of whom were under the radar recruits when they arrived. Guys like Robinson and Roy became stars, but they weren't rated even remotely close to the likes of Fultz and Porter coming out of HS.

Good points re Roy/Robinson etc, but Hawes didn't really fit Romar's style, and Wroten fell from first in his class as a high school fr to around 20 as a sr., was erratic and couldn't shoot. Fultz and Porter look to me to be good enough players, and smart enough, that they'll be stars out of the box. Both are top 3-4 in their classes at worst. Dime and Dickerson and Thybulle will all be better. I think Nowell will be very good. Barring injury, I see the Huskies making the tourney the next 2 years. Guess we'll see.

btzag
08-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Let me help you out on why is is better to play UW vs. Washington State

Pullman is not a recruiting mecca ---we want to recruit the Seattle and surrounding area

One program is on the upswing (UW #2 recruiting class in 2017---and 2018 looks good so far also)

UW has the potential #1 pick in the 2017 draft in Fultz

One team has a decent chance to dance due to the talent being brought in ---the other is hoping for a CBI invite

Who cares...play them both and dominate OUR state!

MDABE80
08-06-2016, 07:40 PM
This....... There can be no doubt that victories over all D1s would be a great thing. WSU and UW. It's one of those things that matters to recruits......and I'd like to see it too! :)

Coach Crazy
08-06-2016, 08:38 PM

What does playing Wazzu do for GU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seacatfan
08-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Good points re Roy/Robinson etc, but Hawes didn't really fit Romar's style, and Wroten fell from first in his class as a high school fr to around 20 as a sr., was erratic and couldn't shoot. Fultz and Porter look to me to be good enough players, and smart enough, that they'll be stars out of the box. Both are top 3-4 in their classes at worst. Dime and Dickerson and Thybulle will all be better. I think Nowell will be very good. Barring injury, I see the Huskies making the tourney the next 2 years. Guess we'll see.

Agree with you that Hawes didn't really fit. Also with Wroten there seemed to be a problem that whole year trying to figure out if it was Wroten's team or Ross's team.

Despite losing Murray and Chriss, I like the nucleus the Huskies have currently. If they can keep most/all of the rest of last year's Fr. class around for 2-3 years, that can be exactly the kind of team that Romar has had success with. Adding a really high caliber player for 1 year like Fultz and Porter won't hurt (you can just about pencil in both of those guys and one-and-doners already).

seacatfan
08-06-2016, 09:40 PM

More than playing Utah Valley and Mississippi Valley St.

MDABE80
08-07-2016, 12:33 AM

More than Bryant.

gonzagafan62
08-07-2016, 08:33 AM
More than Bryant.

More than South Dakota

gonzagafan62
08-07-2016, 08:40 AM
If Gonzaga gets a opportunity to play a elite program, no matter where the game is played, they will take it ......Just my opinion ...

So you're telling me - that from 2006-2013 we could play anyone anytime anywhere from Duke, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma Sate, Xavier, North Carolina, Butler, Memphis, Tennessee, Baylor, West Virginia, Wake Forest and MANY MANY MANY other GREAT teams when we played them....

And you're trying to tell me that we just can't work it out??????? We've had exciting non conference schedules every year till last year and mind you we still play Arizona which is exciting but that's it. And you're telling me that we can go out and play someone at their house because we don't have the opportunity????????

Not buying it

bartruff1
08-07-2016, 09:16 AM
I'm not telling you that at all, quite the opposite ..if Gonzaga is willing to go to Okinawa to play Pitt, I can't imagine they would turn down a opportunity to play Duke or Kansas or Kentucky or North Carolina or .....nearly anyone in the top 20 without a home and home agreement...

I'm not selling anything...

Zag 77
08-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Or maybe "Woof-Woof."

Utah Valley ? Arf

Mississippi Valley State? Arf.

Bryant? Arf.

Quinnipiac? Arf.

I suppose Akron and South Dakota could turn out to be decent opponents.

:vomit-smiley-007:

exclusivelee
08-08-2016, 08:14 AM
Somehow Florida was awarded a 13th non conference game with the help of Belmont, which is the only 1 of their opponents who they play within 14 days of the AdvoCare Invitational who was not playing in an exempt tournament in 2016-17.

http://floridagators.com/schedule.aspx?path=basketball-men&

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/swamp-things-blog/os-gators--non-conference-schedule-men-s-basketball-20160808-story.html

strikenowhere
08-08-2016, 08:27 AM
This schedule is meh.

willandi
08-08-2016, 08:43 AM
The Zags should make a statement and not schedule or play any of the games that this forum has problems with...including most conference games. They should go back to anybody, anytime, any where...as long as you are a power school!;):horse::lmao:

Goshzagit
08-08-2016, 08:49 AM
This schedule is meh.

Dont forget...if we beat either Florida or Seton Hall, we play the winner of Miami or Iowa St...both have great chance of Top-20, definitely the hurricanes.

realtydog
08-08-2016, 08:59 AM

What does playing Bryant do for GU???

Zaggin' it
08-08-2016, 09:19 AM
What does playing Bryant do for GU???

According to this site...WSU had an RPI of 217 last year.

http://rpiratings.com/mensrpi.php

The committee is going to pay attention to the math of the RPIs. A win to an RPI 217 doesn't do a thing for you. A loss kills you for seeding, etc. Any coach will tell you that you simply cannot go through the entire season with every game being a ball-buster. You have to be able to work on rotations, sets, situations. You cannot do that if every game is a barn-burner.

I don't think anyone can disagree that the WSU game does not play like a typical RPI 217 game. It is their big game. All their players hear about all the time is how good the Zags are, yada, yada, yada. When the game rolls around, they want to show everybody they can play too. No matter where the game is, it's tougher than your typical RPI 217. So, if you get all the risk of an RPI 217 game with absolutely no chance for the consideration of it being a tougher game, why not play teams like Eastern Kentucky (216) or Norfolk State (218) which might as well be named Bryant, etc for the purposes of this exercise.

The coaches know what they are doing. At least UW has a higher likelihood of being a better RPI game AND you get all the intangibles everyone is screaming about with the WSU game.

scott257
08-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Just a question to those that are implying that Gonzaga would get more from playing WSU than Bryant, South Dakota, etc.... Do we really know that with any certainty? I would concede that WSU might be a better opponent, but what did WSU expect from that game financially? I would guess that they were asking more than they were worth with respect to the level of benefit they were providing. I don't know that for certain though and I would be curious to know.

BULLDOG#1
08-08-2016, 11:46 AM

Schools this close together should play each other. Wazzu is also another major conference team on the schedule, despite their potential RPI.
AND... they're typically really fun games for the fans.

GU should keep this game on the schedule forever.

seacatfan
08-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Some valid points, but I just think in terms of scheduling it looks better playing a bad team from a P5 conference than a bad team from a mid to low major conference. GU is already forced to play plenty of the latter in the WCC, why go seek out several more of them in OOC? If the coach just wants a glorified practice game to work on rotations and what not, why not schedule more exhibition games against D2 or NAIA schools that don't have any effect on RPI.

Zagdawg
08-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Seacat -- why doesn't Arizona play at Northern Arizona every other year? I see that the let them come play them in Tuscon-- any ideas why they don't give them a return game at their place every few years?

seacatfan
08-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Seacat -- why doesn't Arizona play at Northern Arizona every other year? I see that the let them come play them in Tuscon-- any ideas why they don't give them a return game at their place every few years?

I don't like it any more when Arizona plays weak OOC opponents than when Gonzaga does. In fact I think they played Utah Valley last year. The Cats used to play brutal OOC schedules during Lute's heyday, not the same anymore. As far as NAU specifically, I hadn't even noticed that there's never a return game. Maybe it's a guarantee game that helps NAU balance their athletic department budget every year. Man, NAU was truly awful last year, easily one of the worst teams in D1 (and both UA and GU played them).

Goshzagit
08-08-2016, 01:58 PM
College bball is also a business with LOTS of expenses.

It costs way more money to play WSU and more profit sharing. Games in the spokane arena arent free, less margin. WSU wanted $ too, not to mention unwilling to move game to K2.

The feel good local story is one thing but this is a business too.

Kiddwell
08-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Dont forget...if we beat either Florida or Seton Hall, we play the winner of Miami or Iowa St...both have great chance of Top-20, definitely the hurricanes.

This fan would really like to see rematches with both Seton Hall and Iowa State. It's the NCAA tourney all over again! (Sorta).

:]

seacatfan
08-08-2016, 02:18 PM
This fan would really like to see rematches with both Seton Hall and Iowa State. It's the NCAA tourney all over again! (Sorta).

Rematch with Iowa St.? Have they ever played? That was Iowa 2 years ago at Key Arena.

MDABE80
08-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Things are pretty well set. I'm guessing the new Director of Operations did the best he could. Still sore over the BIS being shelved.......but that's life for this season anyway. Lots of good names there. Maybe the talent isn't the greatest but that's a mixed I think anyway. I doubt we'll get through the OOC undefeated. Surely not the WCC either. A few creampuffs have made their way to the schedule . Young team and we have lots of new faces who might need some easier games to learn with and build on. Few knows his players. If the choice came down to WSU or Bryant, I still think I'd take WSU no matter the RPI. It'll be a good season but with all the new players, the serious bloom will be delayed wtill this group becomes a serious team.......just like last year ( maybe not THAT scary)..

bartruff1
08-08-2016, 02:28 PM
There is always local interest to be considered. I know dozens of people from WSU....Eastern.....even Whitworth ....I don't know anyone from some of those schools or even where they are located.... plus there is the economic activity that is generated in the community when local schools are involved.....But.... it is what it is...

75Zag
08-08-2016, 05:46 PM
GU aspires to be a major power. Since I graduated from GU I like that - very much. But sometimes I have to doubt the legitimacy of their aspirations. Here is Kentucky's OOC schedule - to date, and I apologize if I have copied and pasted this incorrectly:

Michigan State -- Madison Square Garden (New York, New York)
Arizona State -- Atlantis Resort (Nassau, Bahamas)
UCLA -- Rupp Arena (Lexington, Kentucky)
Louisville -- KFC Yum! Center
North Carolina -- TBD (Las Vegas, Nevada)

Is GU a major player, or simply a small school taking advantage of their WCC position to make the NCAAs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Go Bulldogs!

willandi
08-08-2016, 06:02 PM
GU aspires to be a major power. Since I graduated from GU I like that - very much. But sometimes I have to doubt the legitimacy of their aspirations. Here is Kentucky's OOC schedule - to date, and I apologize if I have copied and pasted this incorrectly:

Is GU a major player, or simply a small school taking advantage of their WCC position to make the NCAAs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Go Bulldogs!

Head to head, the Zags match up with all but the bluest of blue bloods. There also must be a reason that Duke, UNC, Kentucky et al, won't venture to schedule home and home with the Zags...it does little to help them, even if they win. It helps the Zags, even if they lose.

Kiddwell
08-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Rematch with Iowa St.? Have they ever played? That was Iowa 2 years ago at Key Arena.

Oops, you are correct, sir! (My bad. Least I got the right state.) :fingergun:

kitzbuel
08-08-2016, 06:19 PM

Go Bulldogs!
I believe the answer to your question is yes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

75Zag
08-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Love the Bulldogs, but the "home and home" mantra is wearing pretty thin. Did the Pope demand a "home and home" when he visited Philadelphia? With apologies to season ticket holders, the GU venue is too small to attract major talent. If GU could play a team with 5 national championships, would it matter whether they play in the largest Spokane venue or in Seattle or in Portland or in San Francisco?
I assume that building the GU basketball franchise is more important than kissing up to GU season ticket holders?

Go Bulldogs!

willandi
08-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Love the Bulldogs, but the "home and home" mantra is wearing pretty thin. Did the Pope demand a "home and home" when he visited Philadelphia? With apologies to season ticket holders, the GU venue is too small to attract major talent. If GU could play a team with 5 national championships, would it matter whether they play in the largest Spokane venue or in Seattle or in Portland or in San Francisco?
I assume that building the GU basketball franchise is more important than kissing up to GU season ticket holders?

Go Bulldogs!

I think the program has shown that, with big name schools, the home and home is not an absolute, but neither is 3 in the Key.

The biggest name schools have little to gain by playing Gonzaga, outside of tournaments, and the Zags probably won't play those teams for free, so a buy in game is kind of out too. There should be some kind of common ground, but it does nothing for the bluebloods to play the Zags, so until it is mandated, they just won't and nothing Gonzaga or the forum members want will change that. It still takes two to tango.

jazzdelmar
08-08-2016, 07:56 PM
The new sked is a step back. Maybe two when compared to those of a decade ago. I'm sure there are both real and fanciful reasons for this, but the reality is it is a B minus for a would be top ten program.

jazzdelmar
08-08-2016, 08:01 PM

Go Bulldogs!

GU is getting to cute by half, is my take 75. Your post is a stinging indictment of the new sked.

Goshzagit
08-08-2016, 08:34 PM
I disagree with most. People looking for the blue blood (duke, unc, msu, kentucky, already playing Zona) yet not actually doing research. Blinded by the brand name or lack thereof.

No Top-5 teams yet count 4, most likely 5 Top-25 teams.

Projected Top-25 teams:

San Diego St (some think Top 15 this season)
Arizona (Top 15 on every projection)
Seton Hall (return 7 of 8 top scorers off Big East champs)
Miami (Top 20 all last season, return 3 of 5 starters)
Washington (#1 pick, 2 starters, top 10 class, many expect better overall than last season's 19 win team)

Possibly Iowa St (top 15 program past 4 yrs, lose best player yet return several key players annual tourney team), a MUCH improved young Tennessee squad

Not to mention Top 20 SMC, and likely Top 30 BYU.

When was the last season we faced 5, maybe 6 Top 25 ranked teams?

Its been at least 3 yrs.

This schedule is criminally under-rated & underappreciated, imho.

Teams like SMC, SDSU, AZ, Miami, are expected Top 20 teams next season.

soccerdud
08-08-2016, 09:42 PM

i want a better schedule, but i agree with much of what you said. however, this is wrong. they lost both whitehead (best player, leading scorer) and gordon (6th man and top-5 scorer). maybe they return 6 of 8, tho.

seacatfan
08-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Also I think Miami lost 3 starters, not 2. And even if was just 2, it was their 2 guards who were the heart and soul (and 2 leading scorers) of their team. I seem to be in the minority but I think they take a step backwards this year.

seacatfan
08-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Seton Hall won the Big East tourney, but Villanova and Xavier were quite obviously the 2 best teams in the conference last year. Conference tourneys don't really mean much (unless you happen to be in a 1 bid league--then it means EVERYTHING).

Norwester
08-08-2016, 10:30 PM
With apologies to season ticket holders, the GU venue is too small to attract major talent. If GU could play a team with 5 national championships, would it matter whether they play in the largest Spokane venue or in Seattle or in Portland or in San Francisco?

Michigan State (two national championships)
Notre Dame
UCLA (11 national championships) They played UCLA in the Kennel last year. Early onset Alzheimer's perhaps?
Arizona (1 national championship)
SMU
St. Joe's
West Virginia
Baylor
Oklahoma
Illinois
Virginia
Utah

And GU played at Butler (2 national championship games) in a non-return game...

TexasZagFan
08-09-2016, 05:25 AM
Just a question to those that are implying that Gonzaga would get more from playing WSU than Bryant, South Dakota, etc.... Do we really know that with any certainty? I would concede that WSU might be a better opponent, but what did WSU expect from that game financially? I would guess that they were asking more than they were worth with respect to the level of benefit they were providing. I don't know that for certain though and I would be curious to know.

We need to get a groundswell going for games against teams from the Lone Star State. If you're looking for a couple of true road games with great fan bases, do a trip to West Texas and play UTEP or NMSU. You'll get 12,222 in the Haskins Center, and 12,482 at the Pan Am Center in Las Cruces. The Zags would sell out both venues.

TexasZagFan
08-09-2016, 05:28 AM
GU is getting to cute by half, is my take 75. Your post is a stinging indictment of the new sked.

Given all the new faces this year, might be the right time to take the foot off the gas a bit.

scott257
08-09-2016, 05:42 AM
We need to get a groundswell going for games against teams from the Lone Star State. If you're looking for a couple of true road games with great fan bases, do a trip to West Texas and play UTEP or NMSU. You'll get 12,222 in the Haskins Center, and 12,482 at the Pan Am Center in Las Cruces. The Zags would sell out both venues.

I would love that! Heck, even Oklahoma and Oklahoma State!

GoZags
08-09-2016, 06:32 AM
Michigan State (two national championships)
Notre Dame
UCLA (11 national championships) They played UCLA in the Kennel last year. Early onset Alzheimer's perhaps?
Arizona (1 national championship)
SMU
St. Joe's
West Virginia
Baylor
Oklahoma
Illinois
Virginia
Utah

And GU played at Butler (2 national championship games) in a non-return game...

Add Stanford, Wake Forest and Oklahoma State.

And I'm not sure of the relevance of posting 5 of Kentucky's OOC games. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't imagine anyone believing that GU is UK's equal in terms of hoops reputation.

Reborn
08-09-2016, 06:58 AM
I believe most really good teams schedule a few "cupcakes" every year. It's important to remember that the OOC games occur at the beginning of the year, and in a year where there will be 4 new starters for GU, it will be important to play some "cupcakes" just to take a breather from all the tough games that Gonzaga does schedule. Honestly, I really can't understand why fans would complain about playing teams like San Diego St, Tennessee, UW, Florida or Seton Hall, and either Miami or Iowa St. I really like all these teams and I'm really glad Gonzaga is playing them. I don't think Gonzaga has ever played Miami or Iowa St. I think it would be awesome to Play Seton Hall again after the great game last season in the NCAA Tournament. I like their coach. And IMO, San Diego has a really great program now. A lot like Gonzaga. And the last time we played them they beat us in The Kennel II. And the UW game is always a classic. I agree with most of you that its not an A or A+ schedule, maybe a B or a B- as Jazz indicates. But I'm happy getting a B this year because there are so many new players who will need a lot of time to grow together.

bartruff1
08-09-2016, 07:21 AM
I disagree with most. People looking for the blue blood (duke, unc, msu, kentucky, already playing Zona) yet not actually doing research. Blinded by the brand name or lack thereof.

No Top-5 teams yet count 4, most likely 5 Top-25 teams.

Projected Top-25 teams:

San Diego St (some think Top 15 this season)
Arizona (Top 15 on every projection)
Miami (Top 20 all last season, return 3 of 5 starters)
Washington (#1 pick, 2 starters, top 10 class, many expect better overall than last season's 19 win team)

Possibly Iowa St (top 15 program past 4 yrs, lose best player yet return several key players annual tourney team), a MUCH improved young Tennessee squad

Not to mention Top 20 SMC, and likely Top 30 BYU.

When was the last season we faced 5, maybe 6 Top 25 ranked teams?

Its been at least 3 yrs.

This schedule is criminally under-rated & underappreciated, imho.

Teams like SMC, SDSU, AZ, Miami, are expected Top 20 teams next season.

I am pretty sure no one (certainly not me) is complaining about playing those teams ?? It is the remainder of the schedule that is lame. IMO if you are going to play cup cakes, play the local or regional teams...

jazzdelmar
08-09-2016, 07:43 AM
Given all the new faces this year, might be the right time to take the foot off the gas a bit.

But the new faces are mostly studs. Why slow?

jazzdelmar
08-09-2016, 07:44 AM
I believe most really good teams schedule a few "cupcakes" every year. It's important to remember that the OOC games occur at the beginning of the year, and in a year where there will be 4 new starters for GU, it will be important to play some "cupcakes" just to take a breather from all the tough games that Gonzaga does schedule. Honestly, I really can't understand why fans would complain about playing teams like San Diego St, Tennessee, UW, Florida or Seton Hall, and either Miami or Iowa St. I really like all these teams and I'm really glad Gonzaga is playing them. I don't think Gonzaga has ever played Miami or Iowa St. I think it would be awesome to Play Seton Hall again after the great game last season in the NCAA Tournament. I like their coach. And IMO, San Diego has a really great program now. A lot like Gonzaga. And the last time we played them they beat us in The Kennel II. And the UW game is always a classic. I agree with most of you that its not an A or A+ schedule, maybe a B or a B- as Jazz indicates. But I'm happy getting a B this year because there are so many new players who will need a lot of time to grow together.

This sked is a veritable Dunkin Donuts, Bornie.

Zagdawg
08-09-2016, 07:50 AM
If some didn't have something to complain about --what would they do in the off season--

We could almost start a new thread for this topic alone.

Best complaint threads ----

Can't guard the three point shot
Battle in Seattle opponent is terrible -- why won't Duke/Kentucky play us there
Why didn't we make the Mac larger?
Why aren't we playing Washington state/Eastern/Idaho every year on our schedule?
Why does player "insert name here" even see the floor-- player "insert a different player name here" is obviously better.
Few only schedules cupcakes to pad his W/L record (tribute to jazzy)
I hate the "insert jersey color here" jerseys --can we burn them?
Why can't we get our free throw numbers up?
Someone transferred - why do we recruit other players?

realtydog
08-09-2016, 07:56 AM
According to this site...WSU had an RPI of 217 last year.

http://rpiratings.com/mensrpi.php

The committee is going to pay attention to the math of the RPIs. A win to an RPI 217 doesn't do a thing for you. A loss kills you for seeding, etc. Any coach will tell you that you simply cannot go through the entire season with every game being a ball-buster. You have to be able to work on rotations, sets, situations. You cannot do that if every game is a barn-burner.

I don't think anyone can disagree that the WSU game does not play like a typical RPI 217 game. It is their big game. All their players hear about all the time is how good the Zags are, yada, yada, yada. When the game rolls around, they want to show everybody they can play too. No matter where the game is, it's tougher than your typical RPI 217. So, if you get all the risk of an RPI 217 game with absolutely no chance for the consideration of it being a tougher game, why not play teams like Eastern Kentucky (216) or Norfolk State (218) which might as well be named Bryant, etc for the purposes of this exercise.

The coaches know what they are doing. At least UW has a higher likelihood of being a better RPI game AND you get all the intangibles everyone is screaming about with the WSU game.

disagree with most everything you say----"committee is going to pay attention to the math of the RPIs" really? Utah Valley, Bryant, Miss. Valley, etc. then why are they on the ticket?
-----"loss kills you for seeding" ....kind of like the Portland State nightmare that was... A loss to WSU is still a loss to a power 5 school regardless of RPI...it's way different in
perspective than a loss to Mississippi Valley State
------"You cannot do that if every game is a barn-burner" yeah..ok.....I think we have plenty of chances to work on things with S. Dakota, Akron, Miss Valley, etc. etc....and if
WSU is a junk team with 217 RPI, shouldn't we be able to "work on sets" as you say
-------"It is their big game" ok...really? UCLA Arizona UW Oregon----all have bigger names and come to play them in Pullman...those are their big games....if GU fans didn't
travel so well to Pullman the arena would not be full when GU plays there
------"So, if you get all the risk of an RPI 217 game with absolutely no chance for the consideration of it being a tougher game".... totally not equal....when a good power 5
school loses to a bad mid-major...it gets headlines.....not the same press as when a good power 5 school loses to a bottom third of their league power 5 school...not
nearly the same type of upset...everyone knows there are way better players at the power 5 schools than at a Mississippi Valley State
-----"why not play teams like Eastern Kentucky (216) or Norfolk State (218) which might as well be named Bryant, etc" is it not obvious to you??? because most GU fans
have an apathetic outlook to those games.....who in the hell is going to be up for the big Utah Valley game???
But, in Few I trust...there is where we agree and it appears ...all that matters.....

TexasZagFan
08-09-2016, 09:07 AM
I would love that! Heck, even Oklahoma and Oklahoma State!

I'm on board with that, too. We attended the OU game, when Pargo and Blake Griffin dominated, and the OSU game on NY Eve a few years ago. The pictures I took of my son with most of the players is on my profile page.

Shoot, I'd go see the Zags play UNM at The Pit. It's only a 9 hour drive from my house.

BTW, we had UTEP season tix when we lived there. I've never been in a noisier place than when UTEP and BYU went at it. They've struggled since Haskins retired, yet the fans keep supporting their Miners. Similar situation to the Zags, only game in town.

TexasZagFan
08-09-2016, 09:08 AM
If some didn't have something to complain about --what would they do in the off season--

Why aren't we playing Washington state/Eastern/Idaho every year on our schedule?
Why does player "insert name here" even see the floor-- player "insert a different player name here" is obviously better.

Keep that up, and the entire board will go the way of the OCC...

WyoZag
08-09-2016, 09:27 AM

Go Bulldogs!

At least look at the context of how UK is scheduling those games before asking if GU is a major player or simply a small school taking advantage of the WCC. Good lord man, I've read some read some ridiculous posts here before, but this one is silly all around. Anti-foo material?

Michigan State - Champions Classic (As blue blood as it gets with Mich. St., Duke and KU. National titles were the only way in). GU is not of this ilk.

Arizona State - Battle for Atlantis (Is this really a good game?) GU played in this same event last year, remember?

UCLA - home and home (the two teams played at Pauley last year and this is likely the continuation of that deal) GU just finished a home and home with UCLA, remember?

Louisville - In state rivalry (No different than playing the UW, the fan base would freak out if the game wasn't played) Remember what happened when UK stopped playing Indiana, or GU discontinued the series with UW and/or WSU? Yeah, officials from state governments provided commentary.

North Carolina - CBS Sports Classic (Made for TV event that's now in year three with UCLA and Ohio State rounding out the participants).

There will be another game with the Big XII/SEC challenge.

The moral here is Kentucky is Kentucky and can do just about anything it wants when those marquee events are made for them and others like them. GU, despite being a different kind of brand, isn't among this group of power five schools with a rich basketball tradition. Remember UK has a huge fan base, a polarizing coach who does things differently, and consistently brings in the best collection of freshman in the county. All of this creates story lines and enhances viewership. Do you really think ESPN is selling advertising space for the GU/SDSU game in November at the same price its selling time for the Champions Classic the following night? Yeah, probably not. GU doesn't churn out ten thousand graduates a year, hasn't won a national title(s), doesn't bring in the one and done types, and likely never will. Thus, ratings aren't going to be the same. There's a reason ESPN puts that WCC time slot on when it does. Money talks.

With respect to scheduling, attempting to compare UK and GU (regardless of its aspirations) to make a point the point GU isn't doing enough to satisfy your individual appetite for marquee opponents isn't at all realistic. It's apples and oranges. But what is UK really doing that's sexy in terms of scheduling that wasn't designed for them or part of a exempt tournament? Playing Louisville, an in state rival?

If you really think UK and GU are comparable entities, it's time for a little perspective. There's way too much entitlement that Duke, UK, Kansas, et al. should be falling over themselves to play in the BIS or GU isn't doing enough to get them. The reality is those teams don't have any motivation to fly across the country after finals and run the risk of getting beat. Be proud that your university is viewed that way. It's okay GU isn't perceived as royalty in the college basketball world. Roll the ball out, play the game, and try to punch royalty in the face when you get the chance.

I hope you're inquiring mind is at rest now.

jazzdelmar
08-09-2016, 01:29 PM

And? What part of those do you not understand?

mgadfly
08-09-2016, 02:43 PM
At least look at the context of how UK is scheduling those games before asking if GU is a major player or simply a small school taking advantage of the WCC. Good lord man, I've read some read some ridiculous posts here before, but this one is silly all around. Anti-foo material?

Michigan State - Champions Classic (As blue blood as it gets with Mich. St., Duke and KU. National titles were the only way in). GU is not of this ilk.

Arizona State - Battle for Atlantis (Is this really a good game?) GU played in this same event last year, remember?

UCLA - home and home (the two teams played at Pauley last year and this is likely the continuation of that deal) GU just finished a home and home with UCLA, remember?

Louisville - In state rivalry (No different than playing the UW, the fan base would freak out if the game wasn't played) Remember what happened when UK stopped playing Indiana, or GU discontinued the series with UW and/or WSU? Yeah, officials from state governments provided commentary.

North Carolina - CBS Sports Classic (Made for TV event that's now in year three with UCLA and Ohio State rounding out the participants).

There will be another game with the Big XII/SEC challenge.

The moral here is Kentucky is Kentucky and can do just about anything it wants when those marquee events are made for them and others like them. GU, despite being a different kind of brand, isn't among this group of power five schools with a rich basketball tradition. Remember UK has a huge fan base, a polarizing coach who does things differently, and consistently brings in the best collection of freshman in the county. All of this creates story lines and enhances viewership. Do you really think ESPN is selling advertising space for the GU/SDSU game in November at the same price its selling time for the Champions Classic the following night? Yeah, probably not. GU doesn't churn out ten thousand graduates a year, hasn't won a national title(s), doesn't bring in the one and done types, and likely never will. Thus, ratings aren't going to be the same. There's a reason ESPN puts that WCC time slot on when it does. Money talks.

With respect to scheduling, attempting to compare UK and GU (regardless of its aspirations) to make a point the point GU isn't doing enough to satisfy your individual appetite for marquee opponents isn't at all realistic. It's apples and oranges. But what is UK really doing that's sexy in terms of scheduling that wasn't designed for them or part of a exempt tournament? Playing Louisville, an in state rival?

If you really think UK and GU are comparable entities, it's time for a little perspective. There's way too much entitlement that Duke, UK, Kansas, et al. should be falling over themselves to play in the BIS or GU isn't doing enough to get them. The reality is those teams don't have any motivation to fly across the country after finals and run the risk of getting beat. Be proud that your university is viewed that way. It's okay GU isn't perceived as royalty in the college basketball world. Roll the ball out, play the game, and try to punch royalty in the face when you get the chance.

I hope you're inquiring mind is at rest now.

I'm not sure who I'm agreeing with and who I'm disagreeing with here, but before we make much ado about Kentucky's scheduling or the idea that they can schedule a tougher non-conference slate than GU, we could take a look back at the numbers. According to KenPom's non-conference strength of schedule, GU has done better than Kentucky in five out of 7 seasons this decade. GU has an average non-con SOS of 83.1 (2012 really hurts the average) while Kentucky has an average 116.3.

I think GU has a proven track record of scheduling tougher non-conference games than Kentucky. I don't know if that's because Kentucky can't do better, or just doesn't want to do better than that.