PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Battle in Seattle ( Update: No BIS in 2016 )

finzag
08-02-2016, 12:41 PM
Has there been any word on the date of this year's Battle in Seattle?

TheGonzagaFactor
08-02-2016, 01:27 PM
They need to find an opponent first.

CDC84
08-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Don't be surprised if it doesn't happen this year.....

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Can we just start the UW series in Key Arena and extend the series by a year?

23dpg
08-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Don't be surprised if it doesn't happen this year.....

That would be a bummer!

NotoriousZ
08-03-2016, 03:02 PM
I wonder if we've ever offered the BIS to an top program (Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and the like) in return for a game on their home court? BOTH of those games would be huge for us. And it's not like we'd be giving away the farm, the BIS is almost a home game for us anyway. I know it's probably too late for that this year, but I can still dream. I would even make that offer to an almost blue blood school.

jazzdelmar
08-03-2016, 03:16 PM
I wonder if we've ever offered the BIS to an top program (Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and the like) in return for a game on their home court? BOTH of those games would be huge for us. And it's not like we'd be giving away the farm, the BIS is almost a home game for us anyway. I know it's probably too late for that this year, but I can still dream. I would even make that offer to an almost blue blood school.

Uconn was pretty blue back then. And I know there was a game in the east but not sure it was a pure quid pro quo.

exclusivelee
08-03-2016, 05:14 PM
'03 Missouri: neutral/away
'04 UMass: neutral (buy game?)
'05 Oklahoma State: neutral/neutral
'06 Nevada: neutral (buy game?)
'07 Tennessee: neutral/away
'08 UConn: neutral/neutral (Boston)
'09 Davidson: neutral (buy game?)
'10 Illinois: neutrsl/neutral/home/away
'11 Arizona: neutral/neutral
'12 Kansas State: neutral/neutral
'13 South Alabama: neutral (buy game)
'14 Cal Poly: neutral (buy game)
'15 Tennessee: neutral/neutral
'16 ???

Zags lost to both Nevada & Davidson 2 years prior and pull out a buy game vs both? Well, the 1st matchup with Davidson was in their home state of North Carolina, getting awarded that location despite a #10 seed, having unfair advantage against #2 Georgetown & #7 seed Zags

gonzagafan62
08-03-2016, 07:54 PM
'03 Missouri: neutral/away
'04 UMass: neutral (buy game?)
'05 Oklahoma State: neutral/neutral
'06 Nevada: neutral (buy game?)
'07 Tennessee: neutral/away
'08 UConn: neutral/neutral (Boston)
'09 Davidson: neutral (buy game?)
'10 Illinois: neutrsl/neutral/home/away
'11 Arizona: neutral/neutral
'12 Kansas State: neutral/neutral
'13 South Alabama: neutral (buy game)
'14 Cal Poly: neutral (buy game)
'15 Tennessee: neutral/neutral
'16 ???

Zags lost to both Nevada & Davidson 2 years prior and pull out a buy game vs both? Well, the 1st matchup with Davidson was in their home state of North Carolina, getting awarded that location despite a #10 seed, having unfair advantage against #2 Georgetown & #7 seed Zags

Maybe it's time for a buy game vs Portland State. Revenge amigo!

EDIT: we got the unfair advantage in 99. What goes around comes around

Booster
08-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately, there will be no BIS this year.

ZagaZags
08-03-2016, 09:02 PM

That will leave a nice hole in December.

Zag365
08-03-2016, 09:27 PM

Will be major letdown in second biggest alum region and loss of p.r. in biggest market in PNW.

MDABE80
08-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Seems nearly impossible to not have this extravaganza of basketball this year. A big time game is what BIS deserves. A showcase event. I wonder how this happened this year.

gonzagafan62
08-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Sucks was kind of hoping someone with the stature (not culture) of say like SMU came up here but oh well

SWZag
08-04-2016, 05:28 AM

Any source for this? Surprising after a record setting crowd last year (largest regular season basketball game attendance in the state, passing GUs BIS game in 2008 vs. #2 Connecticut). I'd take the BIS over many of the other OOC games we play.

Birddog
08-04-2016, 05:28 AM
Seems nearly impossible to not have this extravaganza of basketball this year. A big time game is what BIS deserves. A showcase event. I wonder how this happened this year.

Abe, you've been around long enough to realize that OOC scheduling is like a mating dance done in a Bizarro world with Zombies.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-04-2016, 06:18 AM
I'm surprised the BIS hasn't picked up more traction, a new arena would change that but still...

I'm also surprised that we still haven't had an OOC game in Portland.

gu03alum
08-04-2016, 06:58 AM

That is very sad. I have really enjoyed going with my wife.

willandi
08-04-2016, 07:07 AM
That is very sad. I have really enjoyed going with my wife.

Until there is a documented source, it remains an opinion!

cbbfanatic
08-04-2016, 07:56 AM
\ I would even make that offer to an almost blue blood school.

how charitable of you...

how would you define "almost" blue blood? what's the top of that range?

23dpg
08-04-2016, 08:05 AM
how charitable of you...

Not sure what you have an issue with. He's saying he'd offer a true home game to a team for a Seattle game in return. I'd expect that's more generous than GU would offer at this point.

kitzbuel
08-04-2016, 08:07 AM
how charitable of you...

Teams that are not Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA.

23dpg
08-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Teams that are not Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA.

Like Arizona. Clearly a level above Gonzaga as far as elites go. They're a second level, the Zags are a third level IMO. Yet they played in the BIS and received a neutral game in Phoenix as a return. I think NotoriousZ' proposal was in fact quite generous.

exclusivelee
08-04-2016, 09:09 AM
If Gonzaga can arrange a home/away series with UCLA, a neutral/neutral series should be manageable...

About the same time and distance from GU to KeyArena as UCLA to the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas

Also about the same time and distance for GU to KeyArena as U of Oregon and Oregon State to KeyArena

Gotta make it happen

75Zag
08-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Hoping for BIS against elite opponent but I suspect that even if the scheduling issues could be resolved, that the financial risk to the promoter (or to GU athletics now that the former promoter appears to be DOA) might be substantial, particularly if they have to pay elite dollars as a guarantee to bring in an elite school as an opponent, not to mention guarantee to venue, etc. When it first began, the BIS was covered "above the fold" in both the Seattle PI (RIP) and the Seattle Times and had national (CBS) television exposure. Times and sports marketing have changed.

Go Bulldogs!

77Zag
08-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Any chance they can do Oregon? Seems like a good fit and quality opponent.
Would certainly sell the place out

gonzagafan62
08-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Any chance they can do Oregon? Seems like a good fit and quality opponent.
Would certainly sell the place out

Fews alma mater. Hasn't he said in the past he dosent wanna play them? Or am I crazy?

Bogozags
08-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Fews alma mater. Hasn't he said in the past he dosent wanna play them? Or am I crazy?

Yes this has been said before...OU would not be an opponent outside of the Dance or a possible match-up in a pre-season tournament.

seacatfan
08-04-2016, 12:34 PM
It kinda seems like the BIS has been heading this way for a while.

maynard g krebs
08-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Yes this has been said before...OU would not be an opponent outside of the Dance or a possible match-up in a pre-season tournament.

OU is Oklahoma. UO is Oregon.

exclusivelee
08-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Significant games may have been lined up once but the other teams had to back out? Tennessee likely wasn't one of the teams lined up at the time of the article. Sounds like it came to fruition when Rick Barnes took over as head coach there

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/pac-12/finding-an-opponent-for-gonzagarsquos-battle-in-seattle-becomes-a-taller-task/

Finding an opponent for Gonzaga’s Battle in Seattle becomes a taller task

Originally published December 19, 2014

The good news is (a) Gonzaga AD Mike Roth says GU plans to keep the event going, and (b) Krause says, “We have some lined up for the future that are going to be significant.”

ZagaZags
08-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Just for laughs, Gonzaga should ask the Cal Bears to do BIS.:roll:

TheGonzagaFactor
08-05-2016, 06:51 AM
SWX confirms- no Battle in Seattle this season.

Zagdawg
08-05-2016, 06:53 AM
Well dang-- At least we will have the "Beatdown at the Bank" in Seattle next year.

Zagdawg
08-05-2016, 08:50 AM
I also received this from Mike Roth this morning---

"Good morning Aaron,

Sorry to just be getting back to you. Unfortunately there will not be a Battle in Seattle this year. We worked very hard to find a quality opponent for this year but were unable to do so. The Battle in Seattle is very important to us but having a quality opponent is the key. Please know we are already working on future games for Battle in Seattle.

Mike"

seacatfan
08-05-2016, 09:02 AM
IF they can come back with a good opponent in 2017, then maybe a 1 year hiatus isn't so bad. South Alabama and Cal Poly just weren't cutting it.

seacatfan
08-05-2016, 09:04 AM
There was talk up thread about potential big time opponents they might have had lined up at some point. I'm pretty sure North Carolina wanted to play a game in Seattle for what would've been Marvin Williams' soph year. But when he went one and done that fell thru. Or maybe I'm getting mixed up and they were in talks to play UW. But I'm fairly sure there was talk of them being the BIS opponent. That would've been cool.

gonzagafan62
08-05-2016, 10:20 AM
I wonder who/if we will schedule one more game this season

MDABE80
08-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Abe, you've been around long enough to realize that OOC scheduling is like a mating dance done in a Bizarro world with Zombies.
SOunds about right Birdmeister. But WOW.a premier game not to be.

gu03alum
08-05-2016, 11:45 AM
I guess I will be saving some money this year.

NotoriousZ
08-05-2016, 04:44 PM
how charitable of you...

Aren't you the one that thought we should have taken UW's "Three in the Key* offer? Well, Mark Few may have a better chance of having Big Foot's baby than Kentucky or North Carolina agreeing to play us in Seattle, but at least it would be a legitimate offer.

To your question, almost blue bloods would be the teams that are generally in the top 25.

jazzdelmar
08-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Aren't you the one that thought we should have taken UW's "Three in the Key* offer? Well, Mark Few may have a better chance of having Big Foot's baby than Kentucky or North Carolina agreeing to play us in Seattle, but at least it would be a legitimate offer.

To your question, almost blue bloods would be the teams that are generally in the top 25.

Everyone other than Dook, UNC, UK, KU, UCLA, Indiana, the Ville, MSU, maybe Zona...