PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Small to transfer from Oregon

SLOZag
07-28-2016, 11:55 PM
http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/basketball/34623758-61/kendall-small-to-transfer-from-oregon-basketball-team.html.csp

Amazing how a recruit gets away from Gonzaga and it looks like a huge loss, and then other recruits come along and make us forget our disappointment. I love college ball!

It would be great to see Kendall transfer to a West Coast Conference team!

gonzagafan62
07-29-2016, 07:11 AM
At some point these players will start pickin Gonzaga right? Lol

Zagdawg
07-29-2016, 07:41 AM
I think we are getting the "right" guards that fit in at Gonzaga well-- a bunch of team first guys who really enjoy being members of the Zag family.

IMO we dodged another bullet here.

primal23
07-29-2016, 07:53 AM
I think we are getting the "right" guards that fit in at Gonzaga well-- a bunch of team first guys who really enjoy being members of the Zag family.

IMO we dodged another bullet here.

This is so true, having watched and then met the players at the basketball camp my daughter attended, they weren't just there because of requirements. They were invested and interested in helping. There was a boy in front of my daughter in line for autographs and a couple of the players praised his hard play and how he even got a bloody nose going for a rebound. That kinda thing probably made his month. And all the players were talking with the kids not just signing stuff.
As my mother in law says, they foster a community not just a team. Great group of players on both men and women's teams!
Proud as heck to say I went there [emoji4]

Virginia Zags Fan
07-29-2016, 08:39 AM
Primal23 - Nice post! I got a chance to talk to both Zach's at different points. Really, really, nice guys! Wow! All of the Zags I have talked to over the years have been great kids. So good for the community.

So, at some point in the season when these guys are struggling or in a little slump, I hope we can all look back at what great kids they are and see them for who they are. Super nice kids who do care! These kids are not shooting percentages or a check in the win loss column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DixieZag
07-29-2016, 08:44 AM
Interesting.

I am not sure that a transfer always means that the kid is a problem, or whatever (certainly true many times). I can see situations where a kid could actually leave a team b/c the team had a "me first" attitude and many of the recruiting promises simply didn't hold true.

It's also true that Few should get some credit here b/c these kids don't come out of HS fully formed. There may be cases of kids, upon entering our program and learning from all around him, would be entirely different young men a year or two in, simply maturing/learning in the right environment, as we all did at that age.

maynard g krebs
07-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Bunch of crap in this thread about Small, as far as I can tell, as I follow the Ducks as my second team. Small played hard and played his role in limited minutes; defended and distributed the ball. Highly rated because he's lightning quick and a good passer; could blow by guys on the hs level but not much of a shooter at this point. Sound familiar?

Ducks signed Payton Pritchard, an elite shooting pg, and Dylan Ennis got a 6th year due to his injuries, and Casey Benson played beyond expectations filling in for Ennis last year. Small just wants a chance to play. Pritchard is better, and will be behind him in class. That doesn't make him a bad kid. My guess is that he'd be in exactly the same situation with the Zags at this point, with NWG, Matthews, Norvell coming in.

Meech, Gibbs, Pmac.............................................. .................................................

Zagdawg
07-29-2016, 10:05 AM
I am saying we avoided a transfer -- just like you said he would not have seen much floor time here either due to the quality of our guards.

A player is what they bring to a community on and off the court-- A player like Edwards is not going to see a whole bunch of time on the floor --but he is willing to work hard and be a great part of the Zag family--- he is interning at SWX in the sports department and working hard. Some players want to get more playing time and nothing is wrong with that.

You can really get to know how a player thinks by what he posts on Twitter -- "Bring me food someone" or "Bring me breakfast" is one of a top players posts -- it sours my outlook on that player -- (just my opinion --as I was brought up if I am hungry --I go get something to eat-- maybe I am old fashioned).

cggonzaga
07-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Bunch of crap in this thread about Small, as far as I can tell, as I follow the Ducks as my second team. Small played hard and played his role in limited minutes; defended and distributed the ball. Highly rated because he's lightning quick and a good passer; could blow by guys on the hs level but not much of a shooter at this point. Sound familiar?

Ducks signed Payton Pritchard, an elite shooting pg, and Dylan Ennis got a 6th year due to his injuries, and Casey Benson played beyond expectations filling in for Ennis last year. Small just wants a chance to play. Pritchard is better, and will be behind him in class. That doesn't make him a bad kid. My guess is that he'd be in exactly the same situation with the Zags at this point, with NWG, Matthews, Norvell coming in.

Meech, Gibbs, Pmac.............................................. .................................................

Ding ding ding

gonzagafan62
07-29-2016, 11:03 AM
I am saying we avoided a transfer -- just like you said he would not have seen much floor time here either due to the quality of our guards.

A player is what they bring to a community on and off the court-- A player like Edwards is not going to see a whole bunch of time on the floor --but he is willing to work hard and be a great part of the Zag family--- he is interning at SWX in the sports department and working hard. Some players want to get more playing time and nothing is wrong with that.

You can really get to know how a player thinks by what he posts on Twitter -- "Bring me food someone" or "Bring me breakfast" is one of a top players posts -- it sours my outlook on that player -- (just my opinion --as I was brought up if I am hungry --I go get something to eat-- maybe I am old fashioned).

You're basin the kids character on those posts? Good gawd man..... it's most of the time a joke One Twitter post has nothing to do with character of a kid. Watch his play on the court and watch his interviews. You'll think different.

Zagdawg
07-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Not a big deal-- best of luck to him where ever he lands.

Just hope someone finally brings him some food......poor kid is hungry.

;)

gonzagafan62
07-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Not a big deal-- best of luck to him where ever he lands.

Just hope someone finally brings him some food......poor kid is hungry.

;)

Hahaha. Touché man

MDABE80
07-29-2016, 12:11 PM
He was a very good player. Just maybe landed in the wrong place. Sometimes what looked SO good , sours. If I were the coaches, I'd take another look. 2018 is when he could play. I cannot believe his skills have withered. Dana's a superior recruiter but sometimes he can be cold. Many kids need warmth and nurturing. Just a thought.

maynard g krebs
07-29-2016, 01:57 PM

You may be reading too much into this stuff; I don't know because I don't follow twitter culture. But there are 20+ posts on Duckterritory saying nice things about him and wishing him well. Ducks' recruiting, like the Zags, has gone to another level since Small committed. Five years ago he'd have been their starter.

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2016, 06:45 PM
He was a very good player. Just maybe landed in the wrong place. Sometimes what looked SO good , sours. If I were the coaches, I'd take another look. 2018 is when he could play. I cannot believe his skills have withered. Dana's a superior recruiter but sometimes he can be cold. Many kids need warmth and nurturing. Just a thought.

Why 2018?

MDABE80
07-30-2016, 01:08 PM
He'd have to sit for 1 year if he joins some D1 team. It'd be 2017-2018 till he plays. I was thinking a head too far.

Kemo 1966
08-09-2016, 10:08 PM
"Oregon transfer Kendall Small is headed to play for Damon Stoudamire at Pacific, his father told ESPN."

SWZag
08-11-2016, 12:37 PM
"Oregon transfer Kendall Small is headed to play for Damon Stoudamire at Pacific, his father told ESPN."

Good get for Pacific! I'm actually rooting for Pacific to do well and they have a fairly good basketball history and I believe they'll be in the top 4 in the WCC year in and year out. Kendall will definitely help that.

Oregon’s Kendall Small to transfer to Pacific (http://www.todaysu.com/u-news/oregons-kendall-small-transfer-pacific/)

GoDucks.com: Kendall Small (http://www.goducks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5792)