PDA

View Full Version : No. We're not tall.

Kiddwell
07-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Is there any other team in D1 college basketball with THREE "footers"? :adored:

Karno the Magnificent - 7'1"
Ryan Edwards - 7'1"
Zach Collins - 7'0"
Jacob Larson - 6'11" (according to someone's recent posting on GUB)
Killian Tillie - 6'10" (as above)
JWIII - 6'9"
Rui Hachimura - 6'8" (as above)

We big. Really big. And not big stiffs, either. By all indicators from GUB contributors & elsewhere, "Ballplayers." :adored:

:]

Zagdawg
07-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Gotta love it -- the skill plus the height -- and add in some solid three point shooting -- going to be a good year.

roxdoc
07-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Hopefully Melson and Perkins are up to guarding the 5'11" "jitterbugs".

75Zag
07-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Looks like a good year to use the power of attorney I hold for my mom and bet her entire retirement account on GU winning the NC. Sounds like a sure thing to me.

Go Bulldogs!

kitzbuel
07-27-2016, 10:30 AM
Looks like a good year to use the power of attorney I hold for my mom and bet her entire retirement account on GU winning the NC. Sounds like a sure thing to me.

Go Bulldogs!

If your doing that, make sure you book it onshore. 80/1 odds in Vegas vs 50/1 odds in Ireland.

BULLDOG#1
07-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Hopefully Melson and Perkins are up to guarding the 5'11" "jitterbugs".

Seems like the 'jitterbug' quick guards will hurt the zags less next year. Melson, Perkins, NWG, all have size and are better than average defensively. Add to that the (possibly) best shot blocking group of zag bigs, and this should be a stellar defensive team. Defense on the perimeter is always easier when you have someone like Collins to clean up overplays. Collins and JWIII on helpside defense is a lot different than Bonus and Wiltjer.

I bet Few has the defense extremely aggressive on the perimeter - especially against teams with quality guard play (Naar and Rahon, Emery). This team is much different than ones where ultra-quick guards zip by our slow footed guys and big strong guards overpower our smaller guards.

It seems JWIII is a known entity and and strong defensive player. Karno is great defensively on the block. Collins looks solid as a defensive player and stellar shot blocker. Wild cards are Rui, Tillie, and Jones.

I would expect this to be an outstanding defensive team.

ZAG 4 LIFE
07-27-2016, 10:54 AM
This athletic length also allows the coaches to change defenses...
Imagine Collins, JW III, Rui on the front line, with NWG or Jenks at the Point
and Norvell or Melson at the 2 in an aggressive Zone once in awhile...
VERY LONG group and all of these guys can really move... plus... all three of the
front court guys in this example can change shots at the rim.
I'd like to see some surprise traps on the first pass when the opponent
takes the ball out under their offensive basket... could create some run-outs
after a turnover.
I'm sure this group will play mostly M to M, but with the depth, they can mix
things up, play more aggressively, and deal with occasional foul trouble better
than most any Zag team I can remember.

tinfoilzag
07-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Is there any other team in D1 college basketball with THREE "footers"? :adored:

Karno the Magnificent - 7'1"
Ryan Edwards - 7'1"
Zach Collins - 7'0"
Jacob Larson - 6'11" (according to someone's recent posting on GUB)
Killian Tillie - 6'10" (as above)
JWIII - 6'9"
Rui Hachimura - 6'8" (as above)

We big. Really big. And not big stiffs, either. By all indicators from GUB contributors & elsewhere, "Ballplayers." :adored:

One of my favorite times of the year is reading the boards of other teams that are going up against the Zags in a big game; especially if it is a big conference team. Before the game, it's always: "they won't be able to match our athleticism" "we will run the Zags of the court" ""So big and slow, they won't be able to stop us"

And then after the game starts "These guys are huge, why didn't we recruit some of these guys?" " do they ever miss?!" "we can't buy a bucket"

I absolutely love it. You can't practice for size and skill unless you have it on your team already. Gonzaga has reached this critical mass with its current and previous talent (that comes back to play). If you want to run with and against professional player size and skill, you can get that pick-up game in Spokane.

Bogozags
07-27-2016, 12:03 PM
This athletic length also allows the coaches to change defenses...
Imagine Collins, JW III, Rui on the front line, with NWG or Jenks at the Point
and Norvell or Melson at the 2 in an aggressive Zone once in awhile...
VERY LONG group and all of these guys can really move... plus... all three of the
front court guys in this example can change shots at the rim.
I'd like to see some surprise traps on the first pass when the opponent
takes the ball out under their offensive basket... could create some run-outs
after a turnover.
I'm sure this group will play mostly M to M, but with the depth, they can mix
things up, play more aggressively, and deal with occasional foul trouble better
than most any Zag team I can remember.

There is one thing on defence, which I wish we would initiate and this is a full court 1-2-1-1 press...we should have employed it last year to change the tempo and also, shorten the shot clock even more...

I think we are pretty athletic and can get into FCP shape early and carry it through the season...

hooter73
07-27-2016, 12:11 PM
There is one thing on defence, which I wish we would initiate and this is a full court 1-2-1-1 press...we should have employed it last year to change the tempo and also, shorten the shot clock even more...

I think we are pretty athletic and can get into FCP shape early and carry it through the season...

We didnt have the D under the basket last year to pull that off.

maynard g krebs
07-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Jenks

Thought he was dead and buried. Has he risen? Hope not.

exclusivelee
07-27-2016, 12:15 PM
They updated the roster on GoZags.com today and changed Larsen & Tillie's sizes:

Larsen was listed at 6'11", 245 lbs (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=1234940). But now at 6'10", 240 lbs

Tillie was listed at 6'10", 220 lbs (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=1234937). But now at 6'9", 200 lbs

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gonz-m-baskbl-mtt.html

ZagsObserver
07-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Is Tillie expected as a 3 or 4?

maynard g krebs
07-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Some interesting questions raised by this thread. Seven pretty big guys and 5 guards in the6'3-6'5 range. The experiments with players like Wiltjer and Harris at the 3 have been short lived, and we've generally seen a 3 guard lineup most of the time, with the exception of guys like Morrison and Downs. It seems like the plan in the longer term must be for guys like Tillie and Hachimura to play on the wing, but will that play out this year? I have no idea, but given talent and experience of the guards, it looks to me like we'll see a three guard lineup on the floor more often than not this year. A real battle for playing time, and a challenge for the coaches as to how to integrate all this talent and potential to play different styles.

Will be interesting to see if guys like Tillie and Larsen redshirt, as it hasn't happened with internationals before.

MDABE80
07-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Rui will shock you. It's a guarantee. he's got to learn the language! Hey "Jenks" was good name!

seacatfan
07-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Hey "Jenks" was good name!

nah

jimmycarter
07-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Still waiting for someone to post the "Couldn't Collins play the 3?" thread. It's inevitable...or at least a yearly occurance. Somebody out there is convinced that Few will play one of our posts as a swing man.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Still waiting for someone to post the "Couldn't Collins play the 3?" thread. It's inevitable...or at least a yearly occurance. Somebody out there is convinced that Few will play one of our posts as a swing man.

After he foolishly fell for it last year, it's never going away.

Kiddwell
07-28-2016, 10:33 AM
Wondering how our WCC foes are going to prep/play us. Assuming full health, we'll be suiting up three seven-footers every game. Then there's JWIII at 6'9" and likely one other "big" among the newbies. So if The Karnivore gets in foul trouble, Few slides in Collins. If Collins needs a blow, Few slides in Edwards. Add to that our depth, talent, and flexibility at the guard positions, and this's gotta be a nightmare for opposing coaches.

To repeat an earlier question, is there another D1 B-ball team out there with three "footers?"

Zagnificent
07-28-2016, 11:54 AM
They updated the roster on GoZags.com today and changed Larsen & Tillie's sizes:

Larsen was listed at 6'11", 245 lbs (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=1234940). But now at 6'10", 240 lbs

Tillie was listed at 6'10", 220 lbs (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=1234937). But now at 6'9", 200 lbs

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gonz-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Reminds me of my freshman year at GU. Some fan always had a sign, "Someone please feed Daye." Looks like Tillie will be in the same boat. Get that kid a pork chop.

DixieZag
07-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Kids are getting good diets at early ages and healthier lifestyles.

As little as 25-30 years ago, a 7 footer was a complete, total anomaly. Seemed like maybe 5 in the whole nation (I am totally guessing).

Not going to find a 7 footer under every bush nowadays, but seems like way more common. Having 3 is still quite amazing.

willandi
07-29-2016, 06:55 AM
Didn't Karno play point guard after he hurt his back last year, while he red-shirted? He didn't get any playing time but still is near, or at, the top for career 3pt percentage!

gonzagafan62
07-29-2016, 07:17 AM
nah

Perks thought it was according to zagranny

MTZag03
07-29-2016, 05:39 PM
My uneducated opinion days 3 based off of other posts. He's pretty nimble and bouncy but not a banger.