PDA

View Full Version : Katz comments on Wooden Award

BobZag
10-09-2007, 05:17 PM
The Wooden Award requested its top 50 preseason players from its voters by Monday. The Wooden Award doesn't allow incoming freshman or JC transfers to be a part of the preseason top 50 (which makes no sense, by the way). But I was more stunned to see the West Coast-based award left off Washington State point guard Derrick Low, Arizona State forward Jeff Pendergraph and Gonzaga's Jeremy Pargo from the list of prospective players. Granted, the list provided was for informational purposes and was not a true guide, but still, there were plenty of names on the list that don't even compare to these three players who have a shot to be the respective player of the year in each of the leagues (Pac-10 and WCC), let alone first-team selections.

zzzjag
10-09-2007, 05:58 PM
I believe there is a mid season 're-count' where they name 30 players and many times a player left off the preseason list will show up on the mid season report. Infact, if not mistaken, wasn't Blake not on a preseason list one year and then added on the midseason 30?

I too agree that regardless of incoming freshman or JC transfer they should be 'eligible'. I am really most shocked that Low from Wazzu is not on there as he has shown up on several preseason All american teams.

CDC84
10-09-2007, 06:18 PM
To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if half the writers who vote for this award do not know who Jeremy is, and if they do, they've barely seen him play. I have been told thru various sources over the years that there are very few people who vote on the Wooden Award who cover college basketball on a national basis....the majority of them are beat writers who live, breath and sleep the school they cover and maybe a bit of the league that their team plays in. It's hardly an objective process.