PDA

View Full Version : Missing OCC

Once and Future Zag
07-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Earlier today I noticed that the most recent OCC posts dated from 05/27 and now the entire subform is gone.

Was this intentional or not?

vandalzag
07-20-2016, 02:46 PM
ABE's revenge maybe? Or did Obama finally break the code?

sonuvazag
07-20-2016, 02:57 PM
This was terrible timing. I was so so close to winning an argument definitively for the first time.

Hoopaholic
07-20-2016, 03:00 PM
This was terrible timing. I was so so close to winning an argument definitively for the first time.

Your second one. You convinced me earlier last month :cheers:

sonuvazag
07-20-2016, 03:03 PM
Your second one. You convinced me earlier last month :cheers:

Haha, I will cheers to that!

kitzbuel
07-20-2016, 03:09 PM
We were asked to remove it by the host. I don't have all the details, but do know we were requested to remove it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

sittingon50
07-20-2016, 03:25 PM
We were asked to remove it by the host. I don't have all the details, but do know we were requested to remove it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

That's disappointing. Please pass along info as it becomes available.

DixieZag
07-20-2016, 03:28 PM
That's disappointing. Please pass along info as it becomes available.

Yes, I would like to hear the Host's reasoning and why the Host didn't post its reasoning, and especially why, if the host had some concern, it was not passed along beforehand as a request.

Zagstad
07-20-2016, 04:01 PM
Well, at least I won the last argument.

Seriously, I guess I wonder if the OCC has run its course. It seems like there are about 20 who do most of the posting and all we accomplish is get into circular arguments. I imagine I will probably get a lot more work done.

willandi
07-20-2016, 05:28 PM
I would guess the ****** family are conservatives and didn't care for the dissing of the Trumpster.

Bogozags
07-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Ok, what happened...was it me? I showered yesterday!

Seriously, the Host? Who might that be?

RenoZag
07-20-2016, 05:52 PM
Good riddance

SonofZagineer
07-20-2016, 06:02 PM
"We're not going to Protest....."

LongIslandZagFan
07-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Let's be honest... we are all to blame and as someone else said... probably good riddance.

Anyone for a round of Kumbaya???

:D

RenoZag
07-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Let's be honest... we are all to blame and as someone else said... probably good riddance.

Anyone for a round of Kumbaya???

:D

You can lead the chorus. . .and I don't subscribe to the 'we're all to blame' mantra.

I blame Obama. . .
:p

JPtheBeasta
07-20-2016, 06:42 PM

Haha. The OCC in a nutshell :]

JPtheBeasta
07-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Ok, what happened...was it me? I showered yesterday!

Seriously, the Host? Who might that be?

And does that make me a parasite?! It looks like my wife won the last argument...

ZagLawGrad
07-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Who really is the "Host"?

http://torn-whybatteredwomenstay.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/The-Great-and-Powerful-Oz-has-Spoken.jpg

former1dog
07-20-2016, 07:05 PM
Wow, I was just peaking at my OCC thread yesterday where I suggested that it (the OCC) be burned down. Reason being is my review of the forum suggested that it had gotten worse since I posted that thread just over a month ago.

Wow!

former1dog
07-20-2016, 07:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WdrlBEKhmw

Best commercial ever

ZagLawGrad
07-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Eliminating the OCC---More of the wussification of America.

former1dog
07-20-2016, 07:37 PM
Eliminating the OCC---More of the wussification of America.

Just the opposite. Suspect you're not applying basic logic. A wussy:

n. Slang. A person regarded as weak, ineffectual, or overly fearful. [Perhaps blend of wimp and ####y, or short for ####y-wussy, reduplication of ####y.] wuss′y adj.

Expressing your opinion on a message board hiding behind a false name and never having to actually live with the consequences of your "free" speech fits quite nicely into the definition of a wussy.

If you disagree, just try using some of your colorful language with a paying client if you hang your own shingle or with your boss if you don't.

LongIslandZagFan
07-20-2016, 07:38 PM
No... more like treating a festering wound. It needed to go... it really did. There are other political websites to banter on. Lets just focus on loving GU Hoops and dividing ourselves.

ZagLawGrad
07-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Just the opposite. Suspect you're not applying basic logic. A wussy:

n. Slang. A person regarded as weak, ineffectual, or overly fearful. [Perhaps blend of wimp and ####y, or short for ####y-wussy, reduplication of ####y.] wuss′y adj.

Expressing your opinion on a message board hiding behind a false name and never having to actually live with the consequences of your "free" speech fits quite nicely into the definition of a wussy.

If you disagree, just try using some of your colorful language with a paying client if you hang your own shingle or with your boss if you don't.

It's apparent what I said was true. Thanks for confirming. Thicker skin will do you some good. Good luck.

ZagLawGrad
07-20-2016, 07:54 PM
No... more like treating a festering wound. It needed to go... it really did. There are other political websites to banter on. Lets just focus on loving GU Hoops and dividing ourselves.

It was people expressing opinions. What an overreaction. Ridiculous.

But I agree on the Zags comment.

former1dog
07-20-2016, 07:59 PM
It's apparent what I said was true. Thanks for confirming. Thicker skin will do you some good. Good luck.
That, of course, makes no sense. Kind of like when one of my kids when they were younger throwing a tantrum when some thing was taken from them.

Fear not, your life does have meaning outside the OCC. Go forth and use your real voice. If you're so passionate, I suggest you actually get involved and affect real change.

Zagceo
07-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Can't believe people in power just pulled the plug…….No warning…..No explanation…very sad and very cowardly IMO

Their site their rules……

ZagLawGrad
07-20-2016, 08:04 PM
To all you OCC posters--None of you ever offended me enough to whine about taking it off this Board. That was a pathetic and ridiculous move, and advanced by weak minded people who were the whiners who wanted it removed. No one ever had to enter the OCC without wanting to. Whether I agreed or or disagreed with you, I always respected and appreciated your viewpoints. Best regards.

Zagceo
07-20-2016, 08:05 PM
That, of course, makes no sense. Kind of like when one of my kids when they were younger throwing a tantrum when some thing was taken from them.

Fear not, your life does have meaning outside the OCC. Go forth and use your real voice. If you're so passionate, I suggest you actually get involved and affect real change.

How do you know we all don't already affect real change?

Why did you find it necessary to even read the OCC if you thought it should be burned down? Thats the ultimate tantrum.

Zagceo
07-20-2016, 08:13 PM
So the Spokesman is the host and they pulled the plug?

JPtheBeasta
07-20-2016, 08:14 PM
I heard this was the place to come for free tacos?

former1dog
07-20-2016, 08:16 PM
FYI----I do effect real change. I'm just not a weak whiner like you apparently are, or politically correct. Enter the OCC at your own risk. You missed that one. And if someone really listened to you, it was a real disservice. And childish by you to the extreme.

Name calling? Cmon dude. Take a couple deep breaths.

if you'd like to have an adult conversation, let me know. We can exchange contact info and I'll give you a call.

ZagLawGrad
07-20-2016, 08:20 PM
Name calling? Cmon dude. Take a couple deep breaths.

if you'd like to have an adult conversation, let me know. We can exchange contact info and I'll give you a call.

Thanks for the offer. But we wouldn't have anything in common. I don't offend easily by opinions, perhaps not at all, but apparently you do. Saw little to no comments by you on any topic in the OCC. So reading opinions offends you. Sad. Don't fear shadows and hype all of your life. Conversation is good. Whether you agree with or not. Good luck.

former1dog
07-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the offer. But we wouldn't have anything in common. I don't offend easily, perhaps not at all, and you apparently do. Don't fear shadows and hype all of your in your life. Conversation is good. Whether you agree with or not. Good luck.

Ok, just so we're clear you're not willing to have a real and likely polite conversation about our differences of opinion and stand behind that opinion like a grown adult. You would rather call names and cast insults anonymously?

Im guessing you have let your passions get the better of you, because it's hard for me to believe that's the character of a fellow Gonzaga grad.

The offers open my friend. I am offering the other cheek.

ZagLawGrad
07-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Ok, just so we're clear you're not willing to have a real and likely polite conversation about our differences of opinion and stand behind that opinion like a grown adult. You would rather call names and cast insults anonymously?

Im guessing you have let your passions get the better of you, because it's hard for me to believe that's the character of a fellow Gonzaga grad.

The offers open my friend. I am offering the other cheek.

And to think we could have had this conversation on the OCC. Irony. SMH

Bing
07-20-2016, 08:36 PM
Saw little to no comments by you on any topic in the OCC. .

Shows somebody was late to the party.

And this is the first time I've ever seen RW go after RW. Never happened in the OCC.

former1dog
07-20-2016, 08:38 PM
And to think we could have had this conversation on the OCC. Irony. SMH

The point is we are not having a conversation. We are having a cyber shouting match. Which is what the OCC was. Trust me, I know I helped to start the forum three boards before this one was ever founded. I'm a slow learner, but what I finally did learn in 15 years of the OCC was its not brave, gallant or noble to be an internet tough guy.

If you don't have the courage to sign your name to a post, then you probably shouldn't be posting it.

The offer is still open.

Your friend,

Rob Boulds
Gonzaga Grad 1992

sittingon50
07-20-2016, 08:50 PM

Me too JP. My ribs are starting to show already!!

ZagLawGrad
07-20-2016, 08:52 PM
...If you don't have the courage to sign your name to a post, then you probably shouldn't be posting it....

Then let's nuke the GU Boards. That is your logic.

Weak. Mindedness. Over written words. In a forum you never had to enter or read.

So have the last word if you must.

ZagLawGrad
07-20-2016, 08:55 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVXxLObOcPkk-upyNS2BQQJwVBvBYJ--cZvtDGBpHp175YdbSp

RenoZag
07-20-2016, 08:55 PM
So the Spokesman is the host and they pulled the plug?

This board is hosted under the auspices of the S-R:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?17050-Please-Read-GUBoards-Rules

They pay for it; they can pull the plug on it entirely if they choose to.

Bill Rieger, GU 1979
Sparks, NV

DADoZAG
07-20-2016, 09:07 PM
The point is we are not having a conversation. We are having a cyber shouting match. Which is what the OCC was. Trust me, I know I helped to start the forum three boards before this one was ever founded. I'm a slow learner, but what I finally did learn in 15 years of the OCC was its not brave, gallant or noble to be an internet tough guy.

If you don't have the courage to sign your name to a post, then you probably shouldn't be posting it.

The offer is still open.

Your friend,

Rob Boulds
Gonzaga Grad 1992

I'm in Rob.

Thanx,
JJ Johnson
Spokane Valley

former1dog
07-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Then let's nuke the GU Boards. That is your logic.

Weak. Mindedness. Over written words. In a forum you never had to enter or read.

So have the last work if you must.

Thanks, I think I will have the last "word".

As a law grad, I would suspect you're aware of the logical fallacy reductio ad absurdum and his cousin the straw man, which you've engaged in your "rebuttal" to make the point that some how I'm weak minded if I don't agree with your premise.

My opinion, and it was just that, was that GU Boards would be a better place with out the OCC. My logic behind the opinion was that it was coarsening the debate and not enhancing the dialogue. It is my opinion that this coarsening of the debate where individuals don't have to take responsibility for their words has lead to a polarization, not just in the OCC, but in our culture in general.

Anecdotally, there were unfortunately some real world consequences to this coarse dialogue. Individuals were being harassed and threatened over disagreements in the OCC. At the end of the day, I suspect that this was the real reason the plug got pulled as this type of behavior could have legal consequences for the host of the site, although I must say I don't have any direct information about that. Perhaps this crossed your mind?

I would hope so considering your anonymous handle.

Offer is still open.

willandi
07-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Me too JP. My ribs are starting to show already!!

You got ribs? I just got tacos!

sonuvazag
07-20-2016, 10:09 PM
I suggest everyone who is cool go to the Foo. You know who you are.

webspinnre
07-20-2016, 10:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear that it had to go, but it's hard for me to complain about something I pay nothing at all for disappearing. I did just come across one nice bit of political humor, my favorite thread in the OCC. Hopefully it's okay to share here:

CLEVELAND, OH—While much of the media’s attention has been focused on Melania Trump’s apparent plagiarism of Michelle Obama in her Republican National Convention speech, a savvy blogger pointed out Wednesday that Donald Trump clearly seems to have stolen much of a campaign speech he delivered in late June from Emperor Palpatine of Star Wars fame, without attributing the quotes to the late Dark Lord of the Sith.

The blogger posted a video comparing some of Donald Trump’s speeches side-by-side with several monologues given by Palpatine throughout the Star Wars franchise, and top political commentators are calling the evidence “fairly damning.”

“The hate is swelling in you now,” Trump’s declared in the speech in Manchester, NH. “Use it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourselves more my servants. It is unavoidable. It is your destiny. Use your aggressive feelings. Let the hate flow through you!”

“Be careful of the liberals. Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any other country!” he bellowed to thunderous applause.

Though Trump—or his speechwriter—copied Palpatine almost verbatim, conservative commentators are calling the incident a non-issue, citing many instances of borrowed phrases throughout political history. However, nearly all were in agreement that it was inappropriate for Trump to have quoted from the Star Wars prequels.

http://babylonbee.com/news/donald-trump-caught-plagiarizing-speech-dark-lord-sith/

-Everett B
Class of 06
Napa, CA

edit: There are several people that I never would have known without GU Boards, and it has been a great blessing getting the opportunity to occasionally meet some of them in real life, regardless of our agreements or disagreements on the OCC.

sonuvazag
07-20-2016, 10:18 PM
And now I have to rebuild my post count. It was as if 1,600 of my posts cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

http://www.unmistakablystarwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ObiWan-Ouch-1024x796.jpg

Zagceo
07-20-2016, 10:53 PM
I'm sure most in OCC were well aware....one of our moderators was a retired or semi-retired Police Officer.....between Hoop and LIZF the OCC was under control IMO.....we would even self regulate each other to a certain degree....like adults.

If people were threatened it was wrong and the offender(s) should have been terminated for life.

I'm guessing the powers that be didn't want to be associated with controversal debate in any way .....shape ......or form. Let's be blunt and honest. They didn't want to be held accountable for our debates. We will continue to keep the Political conversations behind closed doors because some people are just uncomfortable reading let alone engaging in Political debates like adults.

Just don't tell me the world is better because the OCC was terminated because you didn't like reading the debates.

Such is life.

LongIslandZagFan
07-21-2016, 07:23 AM
I'm sure most in OCC were well aware....one of our moderators was a retired or semi-retired Police Officer.....between Hoop and LIZF the OCC was under control IMO.....we would even self regulate each other to a certain degree....like adults.

If people were threatened it was wrong and the offender(s) should have been terminated for life.

I'm guessing the powers that be didn't want to be associated with controversal debate in any way .....shape ......or form. Let's be blunt and honest. They didn't want to be held accountable for our debates. We will continue to keep the Political conversations behind closed doors because some people are just uncomfortable reading let alone engaging in Political debates like adults.

Just don't tell me the world is better because the OCC was terminated because you didn't like reading the debates.

Such is life.

Did not say the world... said the board. I was a source of division amongst Zag fans. There are other forums for that kind of talk.

former1dog
07-21-2016, 07:39 AM
I am a political conservative. One of the most appealing aspects of conservatism to me is the concept of personal responsibility. That it is up to the individual to make his or her way in the world. That if you are hardworking you should be able to reap the benefits of your hard work. The flip side of that coin is that if you mess up, you should be held accountable.

The Spokesman, to my knowledge, is a for profit publication. Should they not be able to protect their interests and the fruits of their labor by eliminating the knucklehead factory otherwise known as the OCC? Why should they be held to account for the actions of some a-hole who wants to kick someones ass because of a comment made on a message board?

SWZag
07-21-2016, 08:02 AM
I guess my blood pressure can now return to normal.

ETA: It would be nice to meet up with some of you sometime. I'd probably be amazed how different my visual of someone is versus real life!

See you all in the Foo and the basketball forums! It's been fun!

webspinnre
07-21-2016, 08:31 AM

Such is life.

Good grief, you're making this sounds like a case of martyrdom. They've very generously provided us free hosting over the years, and if they felt like they didn't want to deal with the controversy/division, then fine. In fact, this seems like the sort of "free speech" issue you'd be behind - if they didn't want to be associated with certain types of activities, they shouldn't have to be, right? As for engaging in debates like adults, given your response to f1d among others (who is a "conservative"), I'm thinking that it might be time for a mirror.

former1dog
07-21-2016, 08:52 AM
Good grief, you're making this sounds like a case of martyrdom. They've very generously provided us free hosting over the years, and if they felt like they didn't want to deal with the controversy/division, then fine. In fact, this seems like the sort of "free speech" issue you'd be behind - if they didn't want to be associated with certain types of activities, they shouldn't have to be, right? As for engaging in debates like adults, given your response to f1d among others (who is a "conservative"), I'm thinking that it might be time for a mirror.

It actually didn't occur to me until your post that my fellow "conservatives" (ZaglawGrad, ZagCeo) were the ones complaining the most about the loss of their free stuff! For shame! (I'm kidding, kind of ;) )

sonuvazag
07-21-2016, 08:59 AM
It actually didn't occur to me until your post that my fellow "conservatives" (ZaglawGrad, ZagCeo) were the ones complaining the most about the loss of their free stuff! For shame! (I'm kidding, kind of ;) )

It turns out up is down and left is right, nowadays. Good to see you around. I'd be happy to meet up for brewskis when the opportunity hits.

Hoopaholic
07-21-2016, 08:59 AM
I guess my blood pressure can now return to normal.

ETA: It would be nice to meet up with some of you sometime. I'd probably be amazed how different my visual of someone is versus real life!

See you all in the Foo and the basketball forums! It's been fun!

anytime .......pm me ....met some great people on this board and enjoyed each and everyone of them when we get together no matter political or ideological viewpoints.......it makes the world go round

Ed Casey

Hoopaholic
07-21-2016, 09:01 AM
I am a political conservative. One of the most appealing aspects of conservatism to me is the concept of personal responsibility. That it is up to the individual to make his or her way in the world. That if you are hardworking you should be able to reap the benefits of your hard work. The flip side of that coin is that if you mess up, you should be held accountable.

The Spokesman, to my knowledge, is a for profit publication. Should they not be able to protect their interests and the fruits of their labor by eliminating the knucklehead factory otherwise known as the OCC? Why should they be held to account for the actions of some a-hole who wants to kick someones ass because of a comment made on a message board?

Well stated

as to the violence aspect, very sad but a reflection of where we are in society today......civility, discussion, engagement has been replaced with name calling, threats of violence and real violence......

Bogozags
07-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Well stated

as to the violence aspect, very sad but a reflection of where we are in society today......civility, discussion, engagement has been replaced with name calling, threats of violence and real violence......

I was a moth drawn to light...not sorry to see it go and I also met some fine people, with whom I hope to physically meet in the future (Orlando, Nashville or Las Vegas) and buy the first round!

Jim Tiessen
Sun City Hilton Head
Bluffton, SC

GO ZAGS!

former1dog
07-21-2016, 09:11 AM
It turns out up is down and left is right, nowadays. Good to see you around. I'd be happy to meet up for brewskis when the opportunity hits.

One of these days. Where are you hanging your hat these days? To my recollection you were in Spokane?

former1dog
07-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Well stated

Thanks!

And, I agree. Civility has gone out the window to a large degree and maybe actions like getting rid of the OCC can in some small way wake folks up to that fact and perhaps restore a little civility. Heck, I see some civility restoration in this very thread.

sonuvazag
07-21-2016, 10:11 AM
One of these days. Where are you hanging your hat these days? To my recollection you were in Spokane?

That is correct. And the same interest in meeting up for drinks goes for everyone else, except ZLG and CEO who would obviously expect me to pick up their rounds!
just kidding just kidding just kidding just kidding ... yes, moth to flame.

sittingon50
07-21-2016, 10:27 AM
You got ribs? I just got tacos!

:clap:

229SintoZag
07-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Nobody asked me nor did anyone get my thoughts on this.

I disagree with F1D and with LIZF and with anyone else who thinks that simply abolishing the forum is the answer.

I also disagree because capitulating by shutting down the forum is a concession that the animals run the zoo.

I bit more active moderation and some well timed tactical bannings would have been much more effective at fostering a productive and intellectually engaging OCC.

I believe in free and open communication in all forms, by and large, and subject to reason.

If folks cry fire in a crowded theater, we punish them. We don't close down the theaters.

And am I to suspect that now that the forum is gone, we are all just going to magically become friends and get along Rodney King style as if nothing ever happened?

What ever happened to freedom, liberty, and the American way?

How about a sub-furm for Political discussion, or something other than "crosby center," so that those of us who like to mix it up can do so in a productive fashion?

Seriously, if only 2 or 3 of the worst offenders in the OCC were on time out or permanently banned we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

And to simply zap the forum without any warning or discussion or feedback is a betrayal of epic magnitude.

DixieZag
07-21-2016, 03:43 PM

I disagree with F1D and with LIZF and with anyone else who thinks that simply abolishing the forum is the answer.

I also disagree because capitulating by shutting down the forum is a concession that the animals run the zoo.

I bit more active moderation and some well timed tactical bannings would have been much more effective at fostering a productive and intellectually engaging OCC.

I believe in free and open communication in all forms, by and large, and subject to reason.

If folks cry fire in a crowded theater, we punish them. We don't close down the theaters.

And am I to suspect that now that the forum is gone, we are all just going to magically become friends and get along Rodney King style as if nothing ever happened?

How about a sub-furm for Political discussion, or something other than "crosby center," so that those of us who like to mix it up can do so in a productive fashion?

Seriously, if only 2 or 3 of the worst offenders in the OCC were on time out or permanently banned we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

And to simply zap the forum without any warning or discussion or feedback is a betrayal of epic magnitude.

A lot of well said stuff here.

I will actually miss hearing the arguments from the conservatives. One doesn't even "hear" from the other side in our polarized environment.

I think that less drastic measures might have been tried.

webspinnre
07-21-2016, 03:47 PM
Let's not forget one very important thing - for those of us who were active in the OCC, our seeding in the annual march madness tournament where we're paired with real teams is going to take a drastic hit. :argh: :lmao:

23dpg
07-21-2016, 04:00 PM

That (bolded section) was my suggestion a few months ago. Create a separate forum for politics and another for arts and such. By combining them into one forum, it allowed politics to devour all other aspects. 95% of all topics in the OCC were political.

As for the cancelation, I find it unfortunate but I get it. This forum was created for Gonzaga fans both old and new. If a newbie came to the forum to find out about Gonzaga, they could easily be turned off if they wandered into the OCC.

Of course, there's never any discord in the MBB:p

TheZagPhish
07-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Free blunts and finger sandwiches during open enrollment in the Foo!

sonuvazag
07-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Free blunts and finger sandwiches during open enrollment in the Foo!
On my way...

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/56/5628ddb9471b1a2468c8fb3e49f263c0048d7d7488d6b46094 01425feaecdfe0.jpg

former1dog
07-21-2016, 04:35 PM

Ok, here's the deal. I'll look into creating a forum, BUT there would be strict rules and all participants would have to agree to being tested on basic civics, history and logic before gaining entry.

Oh, and Sonuvazag and WebSpinnre and Kitz would have to agree to be moderators.

And, there would be a zero tolerance policy. One violation, you're out. No ifs/ands/or buts.

Agreed by all?

ZagLawGrad
07-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I'll look into creating a forum, BUT there would be strict rules and all participants would have to agree to being tested on basic civics, history and logic before gaining entry.

And, there would be a zero tolerance policy. One violation, you're out. No ifs/ands/or buts.

Agreed by all?

Not sure if you have the pull and are serious, but it works for me. If someone threatens another, I don't understand why they would still be on here. But keep in mind that controversy over issues at the forefront in our country and candid, zealous discussion never hurt anyone who decided to voluntarily wander into a conversation.

229SintoZag
07-21-2016, 05:30 PM

Agreed by all?

Fine with me. Ideally we could ban posters not from the entire site but just from the new OCC or whatever it's going to be called. I think ideally it would be a two step process: first violation, a significant but not lethal ban (two weeks; a month; whatever--long enough so the violator is on the sidelines until any threads he was involved in flaming into oblivion die down and drop out of the front page).

Second violation: death penalty and have a nice life.

former1dog
07-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Fine with me. Ideally we could ban posters not from the entire site but just from the new OCC or whatever it's going to be called. I think ideally it would be a two step process: first violation, a significant but not lethal ban (two weeks; a month; whatever--long enough so the violator is on the sidelines until any threads he was involved in flaming into oblivion die down and drop out of the front page).

Second violation: death penalty and have a nice life.

Forum has been created. Once the posters here I mentioned agree to moderate, I'll post an email address in this thread where folks can request to be invited.

RenoZag
07-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Forum has been created. Once the posters here I mentioned agree to moderate, I'll post an email address in this thread where folks can request to be invited.

Why don't you moderate it, Rob ?

former1dog
07-21-2016, 06:23 PM
If it's your forum, why don't you moderate it ?

3 active boys, a full time job, building a new business, etc... Don't want to, don't have the time if I did.

And, the top reason, I would be terrible at it, lest we forget the last failed experiment with me being a moderator.

I would offer moderation duties to you, but I assumed you wouldn't want to? Let me know if that's a faulty assumption?

webspinnre
07-21-2016, 08:36 PM

Agreed by all?

Thank you for the kind thought, but check back in a month. We're hopefully in the process of buying a new house/moving in the next 2-3 weeks, though the close keeps getting bumped back.

RenoZag
07-21-2016, 08:43 PM
3 active boys, a full time job, building a new business, etc... Don't want to, don't have the time if I did.

And, the top reason, I would be terrible at it, lest we forget the last failed experiment with me being a moderator.

I would offer moderation duties to you, but I assumed you wouldn't want to? Let me know if that's a faulty assumption?

Not a faulty assumption. Time for a new group of traffic cops.

sonuvazag
07-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Thank you for the kind thought, but check back in a month. We're hopefully in the process of buying a new house/moving in the next 2-3 weeks, though the close keeps getting bumped back.

I have a two-week vacation in two weeks and this would be a good holding period for me also.

former1dog
07-21-2016, 09:27 PM
Web and Sonuva, sounds like you're willing? Considering your schedule, we'll start it up in one month.

Meanwhile, would you two plus any who would like to participate in this new political, science, and arts forum email me at:

occ.rejects@gmail.com

Ill provide instructions in due time to all would be participants.

23dpg
07-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but is there any way to have a political forum and an arts/science forum separately?

former1dog
07-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but is there any way to have a political forum and an arts/science forum separately?
Yes.

Just like this board has the MBB, the Foo, Old Dogs, etcetera... The board I'm setting up has the same capabilities.

LongIslandZagFan
07-22-2016, 06:37 AM
Thanks but no thanks... I'm done with politics for awhile.

willandi
07-22-2016, 06:43 AM
It ould be pretty easy to re-create the OCC on facebook as a private group...by invatation/acceptance only. It could be moderated in much the same way. Of course, with the election over in 2 1/2 months, it might collapse of it's own ennui after that!

There could be a thread about wrestling clubs in monasteries caled "Fight friars with friars"!

former1dog
07-22-2016, 03:08 PM
It ould be pretty easy to re-create the OCC on facebook as a private group...by invatation/acceptance only. It could be moderated in much the same way. Of course, with the election over in 2 1/2 months, it might collapse of it's own ennui after that!

There could be a thread about wrestling clubs in monasteries caled "Fight friars with friars"!

That hadn't occurred to me.

But, I did already set up a forum which we'll launch in a month out of respect for my chosen moderators schedules.

If you want to be invited to join, send me an email at occ.rejects@gmail.com

willandi
07-23-2016, 09:24 AM
That hadn't occurred to me.

But, I did already set up a forum which we'll launch in a month out of respect for my chosen moderators schedules.

If you want to be invited to join, send me an email at occ.rejects@gmail.com

I probably would like to join, but my blood pressure has enjoyed the respite...so I'll have to think about it.

If you had the "fight friars with friars" thread, it would probably sway me, or maybe Nuns mud wrestling!

willandi
07-23-2016, 09:27 AM
A young priest asked the Monsignor if it was OK to kiss the Nuns. He was told that it is OK but just don't get in the habit!

Zagstad
07-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Not really interested in a new board. Shutting down the OCC might be a blessing in disguise for my blood pressure. Reading the same old crap from among the same 20 or so people each day is frankly a waste of time. At least participating in the sports is a pleasant waste of time. Somebody had it right when they said don't talk about religion or politics.

Ekrub
07-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Wanted to read some good old fashioned bickering but it appears the Crosby center is no more. What gives?

ZagNative
07-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Wow. hat's weird....

Zagstad
07-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Take a look at the Section entitled "Forum Support."

Zags11
07-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Goodbye

gu03alum
07-25-2016, 10:39 AM
I did not see this thread until now. I agree with Sinto and ZLG. It was really disappointing to see the forum gone with no warning and no effort to correct whatever it was that was wrong with it. I don't see anything on the OCC that isn't said on the MBB. The MBB is pretty toxic at times in my opinion.

I am going to miss the OCC. The OCC was my only outlet for political discussion since it is difficult to maintain relationships with family, friends, and coworkers while discussing politics. I will miss all of you on there even the ones I disagreed with the most. We will have to give each other a wink or nod when discussing basketball on the game threads once in a while. My home is south of Seattle and I work downtown. I'm also in Spokane a lot. I would love to get a drink too at some point.

Mantua
07-25-2016, 11:00 PM
The publishers can do whatever they want to do. They don't really have competition I these parts, which has always been a problem for the left wing in Spokane or for those seeking information on subjects deemed to be too sensitive. Shutting down a public forum that invited political debate after it has existed for years seems heavy handed and unnecessary. Giving no explanation is high handed and disrespectful to this community.

willandi
07-26-2016, 06:52 AM
The publishers can do whatever they want to do. They don't really have competition I these parts, which has always been a problem for the left wing in Spokane or for those seeking information on subjects deemed to be too sensitive. Shutting down a public forum that invited political debate after it has existed for years seems heavy handed and unnecessary. Giving no explanation is high handed and disrespectful to this community.

What I have come to expect from them.

bartruff1
07-26-2016, 10:46 AM
I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect someone in the forum complained to the Spokesman with the intent to have it eliminated....for their own reasons...

gu03alum
07-26-2016, 12:03 PM
I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect someone in the forum complained to the Spokesman with the intent to have it eliminated....for their own reasons...

If I had to guess, I would guess it would be one of the people recently banned due to their OCC posts. I have heard that at least one of them has significant influence and the other one pretended like he or she had significant influence and means.

vandalzag
07-26-2016, 02:52 PM
If I had to guess, I would guess it would be one of the people recently banned due to their OCC posts. I have heard that at least one of them has significant influence and the other one pretended like he or she had significant influence and means.

Well if that is the case that person should see a Dr.

Mantua
07-26-2016, 05:47 PM

I always feel deprived when a post is deleted and I missed it!

Spokane has a dark side.

Once and Future Zag
07-27-2016, 08:52 PM

Some people just want to see the world burn.

gu03alum
07-28-2016, 06:19 PM
So many things I have wanted to talk about the last few weeks

sonuvazag
07-28-2016, 07:54 PM
So many things I have wanted to talk about the last few weeks

I hear you. I loved how the OCC gave us a neutral ground.

Once and Future Zag
07-30-2016, 07:23 PM

If the Spokesman was bullied into it by a few very loud voices that would be highly disappointing, and I would hope that their business practices were more above the board than that.

I would hope that the Mods can get some clear explanation for us users as to what happened - otherwise, there's no way of telling when any other part of the form may be taken offline with no notice - the Foo probably being the next up for elimination.

Documented transparency of what the actual standards that posts are being held to would be a benefit and save pain for the host, the mods, and the users.

ZagaZags
07-31-2016, 12:55 AM
The Russians hacked the OCC.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M53aaad4b20a23d90489f713d62709c8do2&pid=15.1

MDABE80
07-31-2016, 05:32 PM
:ban: ?

23dpg
07-31-2016, 07:18 PM

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/65208232.jpg

Careful with the speculation.

bartruff1
08-01-2016, 05:26 AM
I don't do that...I don't confuse my opinions with facts and I nearly always identify them as just my opinions....

LongIslandZagFan
08-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Speculation is a fun thing. Honestly, I only did what I was asked to do. I DO know it wasn't just SR that wanted it gone.

Still say... it is a GOOD thing. You want to argue politics... find another board... simple as that. JMHO... board is better with it gone than keeping it.

gu03alum
08-01-2016, 09:36 AM
If the Spokesman was bullied into it by a few very loud voices that would be highly disappointing, and I would hope that their business practices were more above the board than that.

I would hope that the Mods can get some clear explanation for us users as to what happened - otherwise, there's no way of telling when any other part of the form may be taken offline with no notice - the Foo probably being the next up for elimination.

Documented transparency of what the actual standards that posts are being held to would be a benefit and save pain for the host, the mods, and the users.

Good post. I agree.

LongIslandZagFan
08-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Good post. I agree.

JMHO... if Bob agreed to it... there is probably good and ample reason for it to be done... period. Don't know why everyone is in such a tizzy. Make your own political board and go to town. JMHO... and I was a contributor to it... it had become a vat of toxic sludge and it was NOT good for the board as it created a large amount of divisiveness.

gu03alum
08-01-2016, 10:57 AM
JMHO... if Bob agreed to it... there is probably good and ample reason for it to be done... period. Don't know why everyone is in such a tizzy. Make your own political board and go to town. JMHO... and I was a contributor to it... it had become a vat of toxic sludge and it was NOT good for the board as it created a large amount of divisiveness.

I don't really want to argue with you. I agree that SR can do whatever they want without an explanation. The OCC has always been that way IMO. The MBB is way more toxic IMO. Have you been on there after a loss?

Zagstad
08-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Some of your conspiracy theories are funny. I simply think the SR noted that the OCC was dominated by the same 20 people saying the same thing over and over.

Once and Future Zag
08-01-2016, 12:57 PM
I don't really want to argue with you. I agree that SR can do whatever they want without an explanation. The OCC has always been that way IMO.

Agreed - and I would think that having a clearly stated policy would be beneficial to the site host, moderators and posters - if they want to continue hosting the forum.

LongIslandZagFan
08-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Agreed - and I would think that having a clearly stated policy would be beneficial to the site host, moderators and posters - if they want to continue hosting the forum.

Actually the rules are pretty clearly stated... There was some blatant bigotry on that forum... in the last months it was basically people being at each others throats... threats of violence... insults were flying in both directions and you actually wonder WHY? Really?

kitzbuel
08-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Actually the rules are pretty clearly stated... There was some blatant bigotry on that forum... in the last months it was basically people being at each others throats... threats of violence... insults were flying in both directions and you actually wonder WHY? Really?

OCC repeatedly stumbled on Rule #1: No hate speech or hate symbols, which includes but is not limited to content that is degrading to someone's race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, or sexual orientation. Please avoid using obscene, profane or vulgar language. No sharing or uploading content of like nature. Please contact a moderator to report offensive content for consideration and possible removal. Outside of those guidelines, the best solution to "unwanted" speech is counterspeech. If you don't agree with somebody's opinion, consider adding your voice.

We then proceeded to pretty much fail Rule #2: Treat other participants politely.

So out of the 10 rules we couldn't get past rule 2.

Once and Future Zag
08-01-2016, 01:45 PM

My apologies for not being more precise, IMO you did yeoman's work here.

I always knew that this site was managed at the whim of the host, that's not in dispute. I think the issue of the OCC rancor was handled in a disappointing manner by having the entire subform deleted without prior warning or notice.

That being said, I'm certainly glad that the racist/sexist/etc stuff is finally no longer on a board associated with the school where I got my degree.

webspinnre
08-01-2016, 01:45 PM
As I've been thinking about it, and been on here since it disappeared, I've found myself to be much more relaxed, which in my mind seems to be a good thing. Honestly, productive dialogue hasn't really occurred except perhaps very rarely, on the OCC for at least a year or two. While yes, the theory of having a place for solid dialogue is good, that wasn't happening.

Once and Future Zag
08-01-2016, 02:28 PM
As I've been thinking about it, and been on here since it disappeared, I've found myself to be much more relaxed, which in my mind seems to be a good thing. Honestly, productive dialogue hasn't really occurred except perhaps very rarely, on the OCC for at least a year or two. While yes, the theory of having a place for solid dialogue is good, that wasn't happening.

There is that too :)

ZagLawGrad
08-01-2016, 02:44 PM
People getting worked up, stressed and blood pressure going up over a forum they didn't have to enter and read. Remarkable.

MDABE80
08-01-2016, 07:33 PM
'I'm certainly glad that the racist/sexist/etc stuff is finally no longer on a board associated with the school where I got my degree."

Only in your head. None of that happened. Accusations primarily from you. So now you get your wish. Nothing in the real world or in you imaginaion.
Sounds like a great reason for stopping a festering wound. The correct choice was made by detonating Crosby. The best thing always happens.

primal23
08-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Looking like it's time to kill this thread. Sadly now it's falling right back into the OCC tropes

Once and Future Zag
08-01-2016, 09:15 PM
'I'm certainly glad that the racist/sexist/etc stuff is finally no longer on a board associated with the school where I got my degree."

Only in your head. None of that happened. Accusations primarily from you. So now you get your wish. Nothing in the real world or in you imaginaion.
Sounds like a great reason for stopping a festering wound. The correct choice was made by detonating Crosby. The best thing always happens.

Oh, honey. I knew you would come through in the end.

*kisses!*

MDABE80
08-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Exactly Primal. Exactly. And this lil man and his comments were always in the middle of the untoward comments. No I'm glad we nuked the Crosby.

And you all see why it had to be. So Bart...nobody "called the "Spokesman" . Nobody had to . LIZ is quite correct as he states above.. The time for this site to be gone was correct. A festering purulence. Nothing would cure it. A true blight on the internet. If I was LIZ, I'd nuke this horrid whiney thread too. It's over. If you want instructions as to how to use the multiple boards, this particular Board is the place. Anything else like this should be gone forever. Look who began this thread . no thanks. Just a forum for ill will mostly. Who needs it. Who would want to even moderate this mess. Blow it up LIZ. And any further comments too. You guys are generally good men and women. Begin your own board. It's a big internet. Amazon, Yahoo.....any of those type have rooms for things like this. Just not here. Good luck to all of you.

ZagaZags
08-02-2016, 03:11 AM
Making GU Boards Great Again!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lJNz-SdvfFI/maxresdefault.jpg

;) ;) ;)

LongIslandZagFan
08-02-2016, 06:57 AM
Look at the last handful of posts on this thread... and some wonder why? Sorry that I have to lock this thread... but already diving into personal bickering. Can we please be done with this crap?