PDA

View Full Version : Romar and Washington Land 2017 Top 5 Recruit Michael Porter Jr

HalfZagHalfHusky
07-15-2016, 05:13 PM
Not a big surprise but he has verbally committed to UW.

ZagNative
07-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Geez, I could care less ....

willandi
07-15-2016, 05:34 PM
WOW!!! How did they do that? (wink, wink)

whatazag
07-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Should be some good games the next few years between the Zags and UW with the talent both teams have coming in. Looking forward to it.

HalfZagHalfHusky
07-15-2016, 06:02 PM
Should be some good games the next few years between the Zags and UW with the talent both teams have coming in. Looking forward to it.

Agreed. As a UW alumni and a life long Zag fan, I can't wait to see this rivalry revisited. We should take care of business this year, but UW will be very tough in 2017 in their gym.

Coach Crazy
07-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Huge get for UW. He very well may be a one and done, though.

Would be great for us to land Daejon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saxon_zag
07-15-2016, 09:45 PM
"My dad told me it was the best place for me to get to the next level," Porter Jr. said. "I made it clear I wanted to be one-and-done if possible and he told me it was an ideal spot to do that. I trust my dad and I trust Coach Romar."

LOL he sounds like a Romar recruit to a tee! UW can sure churn out the draft picks, just as long as he isn't expecting to play in an NCAA tournament in his one year, he won't be disappointed!

Mantua
07-16-2016, 09:46 AM
"My dad told me it was the best place for me to get to the next level," Porter Jr. said. "I made it clear I wanted to be one-and-done if possible and he told me it was an ideal spot to do that. I trust my dad and I trust Coach Romar."

LOL he sounds like a Romar recruit to a tee! UW can sure churn out the draft picks, just as long as he isn't expecting to play in an NCAA tournament in his one year, he won't be disappointed!

Ha! Perfect!

:clap:

jazzdelmar
07-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Just another coaching paradigm. And it seems to work. I fail to see why it irritates people here. The Zags are such a clearly superior program all round.

Zagdawg
07-16-2016, 10:09 AM
If this were occurring at your favorite program ...... San Diego State......would you feel differently? (I think most here feel that it is not the right way to build/improve a program)

sittingon50
07-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Just another coaching paradigm. And it seems to work. I fail to see why it irritates people here. The Zags are such a clearly superior program all round.

This. I'm a college basketball fan, not the NBA. I'm interested in seeing the teams I like win games. Putting people in the NBA is down the list.

maynard g krebs
07-16-2016, 10:31 AM
I happened to catch the last quarter or so of the Peach Jam final. Porter is an impressive player. He could do for UW what Ben Simmons did for LSU:)

If he can get his AAU teammate Trey Young to join him at UW they might be formidable for a year.

jazzdelmar
07-16-2016, 10:41 AM
If this were occurring at your favorite program ...... San Diego State......would you feel differently? (I think most here feel that it is not the right way to build/improve a program)

Not 100% comparable but yes what they do at SDSU does tick me off. But mostly when they pilfer players from us. I think Ro operates in a wholly different sphere. Still, my point is not that you shouldn't question the approach but why would you even care inasmuch as your favorite team is best in the west with a bullet.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Coach Romar has assembled an impressive collection of talent. If he lands one more Top 10 recruit, he just might make the NCAA Tournament.

gonzagafan62
07-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Probably not

Ezag
07-16-2016, 09:48 PM
Coach Romar has assembled an impressive collection of talent. If he lands one more Top 10 recruit, he just might make the NCAA Tournament.

He gets a lot of individually talented players. Too bad they can never play team ball

HalfZagHalfHusky
07-17-2016, 10:28 AM
As someone who follows UW very close, let me give my two cents on LoRo and UW. First off let me say, I am a lifelong Zag fan but grew to love UW hoops as I am an alumni and went to a ton of their games as a student.

LoRo has gotten a bad wrap the past few years, and it is very much deserved. He hasn't made the NCAA tournament in the last 5 seasons. There are only a handful of power conference schools who haven't made the tourney in the past 5 years, and UW is sadly one of them. We all know he isn't a great coach, but when he gets talent, his teams can make noise. LoRo and UW is completely dependent on their recruiting and talent. When he has had talent, he's made Sweet 16's and won Pac12 tournaments and titles. When he hasn't had title, his teams flame out in "Romar" fashion. Romar made some big mistakes in recruiting after the Wroten year. He put all his eggs in one basket on certain recruits (Aaron Gordon in particular), and when he struck out on them, he also struck out on the rest of the recruiting class.

Romar is recruiting his ass off right now. Whether it leads to wins and tournament appearances, I don't know. But he is recruiting at the level of the top tier schools. He will likely have 3 consecutive years of top 10 picks (Chriss, Fultz, Porter Jr), and most believe Fultz and Porter Jr will be top 5 picks. Not many schools can say they do that. I think UW is very much on the upswing. People will give Romar a hard time for missing the tournament last year with two first round picks, but that team was too young and had its flaws. I think UW was the 2nd or 3rd youngest team in D1 basketball last year. I think they finally make it this year, but I think the 2017 team could be the one to keep an eye on. A lot of their young kids will be upper-classmen by then, and then the additions of MPJ, Nowell and there are rumors that Porter Jr is recruiting 5-star Trae Young and Bamba. If they get either of them, they will easily have a top 5 recruiting class, possibly even #1.

Bototm line, Romar is no more than a walking suit on the sideline. His teams will only go as far as the talent takes him. With more talent coming in than ever before, I think we see them back in the tournament, and they should be there for a while. And let me also say, for those who give Romar a hard time about not being a stand-up guy, those claims are way off. He is one of the "good guys" in college hoops. People will point to the hiring or Michael Porter Sr, which IMO was a little dirty, but that might be the first blemish on his 10+ year career at UW. As someone who has met him numerous time, he is a good guy.

willandi
07-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Just my opinion, but cancelling the series in order to have a more national schedule like Eastern Washington and Portland certainly feel like a blemish. So does the public announcement that they suggested a 3 game series with the Zags at the neutral Key Arena and then publically dissing Gonzaga when the offer was laughed at.

Just my opinion.

maynard g krebs
07-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Just my opinion, but cancelling the series in order to have a more national schedule like Eastern Washington and Portland certainly feel like a blemish. So does the public announcement that they suggested a 3 game series with the Zags at the neutral Key Arena and then publically dissing Gonzaga when the offer was laughed at.

Just my opinion.

Dollar taking the hit for Romar in Clarkston is certainly a blemish.

Hoopaholic
07-21-2016, 07:45 AM
As someone who follows UW very close, let me give my two cents on LoRo and UW. First off let me say, I am a lifelong Zag fan but grew to love UW hoops as I am an alumni and went to a ton of their games as a student.

LoRo has gotten a bad wrap the past few years, and it is very much deserved. He hasn't made the NCAA tournament in the last 5 seasons. There are only a handful of power conference schools who haven't made the tourney in the past 5 years, and UW is sadly one of them. We all know he isn't a great coach, but when he gets talent, his teams can make noise. LoRo and UW is completely dependent on their recruiting and talent. When he has had talent, he's made Sweet 16's and won Pac12 tournaments and titles. When he hasn't had title, his teams flame out in "Romar" fashion. Romar made some big mistakes in recruiting after the Wroten year. He put all his eggs in one basket on certain recruits (Aaron Gordon in particular), and when he struck out on them, he also struck out on the rest of the recruiting class.

Romar is recruiting his ass off right now. Whether it leads to wins and tournament appearances, I don't know. But he is recruiting at the level of the top tier schools. He will likely have 3 consecutive years of top 10 picks (Chriss, Fultz, Porter Jr), and most believe Fultz and Porter Jr will be top 5 picks. Not many schools can say they do that. I think UW is very much on the upswing. People will give Romar a hard time for missing the tournament last year with two first round picks, but that team was too young and had its flaws. I think UW was the 2nd or 3rd youngest team in D1 basketball last year. I think they finally make it this year, but I think the 2017 team could be the one to keep an eye on. A lot of their young kids will be upper-classmen by then, and then the additions of MPJ, Nowell and there are rumors that Porter Jr is recruiting 5-star Trae Young and Bamba. If they get either of them, they will easily have a top 5 recruiting class, possibly even #1.

Bototm line, Romar is no more than a walking suit on the sideline. His teams will only go as far as the talent takes him. With more talent coming in than ever before, I think we see them back in the tournament, and they should be there for a while. And let me also say, for those who give Romar a hard time about not being a stand-up guy, those claims are way off. He is one of the "good guys" in college hoops. People will point to the hiring or Michael Porter Sr, which IMO was a little dirty, but that might be the first blemish on his 10+ year career at UW. As someone who has met him numerous time, he is a good guy.

I agree with much of what you said.......the Porter thing is worse than being reported IMO

Romar helped Roy land a job at Nathan Hale and "poof" the Porter kids enrolled there soon thereafter and now several other players transferring in from other schools...for me this should be looked at personally

CDC84
07-21-2016, 09:14 PM
Hire the Dad, get the player. Simple equation. Happens at a lot of other places besides UW.

23dpg
07-22-2016, 08:57 AM
HalfZag, I agree with much of what you said. Romar is a great recruiter, so-so game coach and generally a good guy. But his handling of Venoy Overton and his situation was deplorable. I guess the pressure to win was getting to him.

gu03alum
07-22-2016, 12:46 PM
I agree with much of what you said.......the Porter thing is worse than being reported IMO

Romar helped Roy land a job at Nathan Hale and "poof" the Porter kids enrolled there soon thereafter and now several other players transferring in from other schools...for me this should be looked at personally

And he hired his dad too. The whole situation is super shady.

Larry Stone: Washington basketball coach’s pursuit of prep star raises eyebrows (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/jul/02/larry-stone-washington-basketball-coachs-pursuit-o/)

Here’s a brief summary of interwoven events:
•On Aug. 2, 2015, Jontay Porter, Michael’s talented 6-9 younger brother, who will be a junior next season, verbally committed to Washington. Jontay and Michael would go on to lead Tolton Catholic in Columbia, Miss., to the Class 3 state title last season.
•On May 6, Romar announced that Michael Porter Sr. – the dad of Michael and Jontay – was hired as one of his assistant coaches at Washington. Porter had been an assistant for the women’s team at the University of Missouri, where the head coach is Robin Pingeton, Lisa Porter’s sister. Two of the daughters of Michael Sr. and Lisa Porter, 6-3 Bri and 6-4 Cierra, play for the Tigers, who won 22 games last year and earned their first NCAA tournament win since 2001.
•Last week, Brandon Roy, the former Husky and NBA star, was named the head coach at Nathan Hale High School, a previous basketball wasteland in the powerful Metro League. And at the same time, it was revealed that the Porter kids – Michael Jr., Jontay and freshman Coban – would attend Hale, thus transforming them from a doormat to instant state title contender.