MontanaCoyote
07-08-2016, 05:23 PM
You think?

gonzagafan62
07-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Can you provide link? I wanna read it

MontanaCoyote
07-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Old and tech challenged here. Just pull up si.com. It's right there.

MBZags
07-08-2016, 06:01 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/power-rankings-duke-kansas-villanova-oregon-kentucky

zagbeliever
07-08-2016, 06:43 PM
We will just see about that.....

hondo
07-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Love being the underdog again. Its been a long time.

MontanaCoyote
07-08-2016, 06:46 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/power-rankings-duke-kansas-villanova-oregon-kentucky

Thanks MBZags!

MTZag03
07-08-2016, 07:04 PM
I have a feeling that SMC has a much lower ceiling than this Zags team. This might be all about coaching. Few finds himself in Bennett's shoes from last year with huge roster turnover. I don't believe SMC will be markedly better than last season although they were clearly underrated. If Few gets his guys together I think GU has the edge here.

gonzagafan62
07-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Old and tech challenged here. Just pull up si.com. It's right there.

Lol sorry. I'm on my phone. I had my wife put this site on my favorites list. I'm not very good with my phone. Every time I hit a button it's wrong. Lol. Anyway, thanks for the story. It was a great read. Appreciate it.

hooter73
07-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Bull. They play no one.

coolhandzag
07-09-2016, 07:04 AM
A poll in July means almost as much as one in October.

Zagdawg
07-09-2016, 07:12 AM
I would love for St Marys to be as highly ranked as possible --it looks better for our resume when we beat them. ;)

Reborn
07-09-2016, 07:13 AM
BYU is in top 30 at #28. I think our RPI will be much better next year.

gonzagafan62
07-09-2016, 07:48 AM
BYU is in top 30 at #28. I think our RPI will be much better next year.

Our RPI would've been so much better if we didn't lose to BYU at home

exclusivelee
07-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Our RPI would've been so much better if we didn't lose to BYU at home
More could be said for losing to UCLA at home. Less so much for Arizona & Saint Mary's. Imagine how much better the RPI would have been if those 4 games were on the road. Tried to play a tough schedule, but most of GU's opponents performed way below expectations, especially the bottom 7 of the WCC, including Pepperdine who regressed a little despite returning everyone

Anyhow, the 2015-16 season is over. Opportunity to babble about the next one

ZagsGoZags
07-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Love being the underdog again. Its been a long time.

seems like we were underdogs quite a bit late last season, not only vegas odds on several big upcoming games, but also in NCAA tournament with worries about making it to the Dance at all.
Go back before one year ago and yes, we had not been underdogs very often for quite a few years ...

Kiddwell
07-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Really pleased to see St. Mary's a pre-season pick. BYU oughta be formidable. In terms of national reputation, this oughta be a stout WCC this upcoming season. :boxing::boxing::boxing:

:]

webspinnre
07-09-2016, 11:53 AM
I have a feeling that SMC has a much lower ceiling than this Zags team. This might be all about coaching. Few finds himself in Bennett's shoes from last year with huge roster turnover. I don't believe SMC will be markedly better than last season although they were clearly underrated. If Few gets his guys together I think GU has the edge here.

I think this is probably right. SMC is more of a medium ceiling high floor type team, where we're definitely more of the high ceiling team, but more room for things to go wrong.

seacatfan
07-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Really pleased to see St. Mary's a pre-season pick. BYU oughta be formidable. In terms of national reputation, this oughta be a stout WCC this upcoming season. :boxing::boxing::boxing:

Top 3 in the WCC should be stout. Beyond that...any reason to think any of the teams are improving? Pepperdine missed their window to make any real noise.

Kiddwell
07-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Top 3 in the WCC should be stout. Beyond that...any reason to think any of the teams are improving? Pepperdine missed their window to make any real noise.

Meant just top three--thus, three punchers. It'd be great, though, if another team or two stepped up. With the gush of new coaches, maybe the WCC overall will uptick in the coming years. (And still, of course, like Marty Wilson at Pepperdine.)

Kind of think, though, that the WCC will "dance" three teams this year. Stupidly overly enthused every year at this time, Kiddwell boldly forecasts the Zags as a 4-seed (or above) and SMC & BYU as 11-seeds (or above). :rolleyes:

seacatfan
07-09-2016, 01:15 PM
It could happen Kidwell. WCC even got 3 teams in one year before BYU joined.

I like Wilson at Pepperdine too, but it seems like they're going to take a step back after losing Davis and Raines. And they really should've been better last year. You're right, a bunch of new coaches, maybe some of those programs will begin to develop some momentum.

zagamatic
07-10-2016, 07:42 AM
To begin the year, I have no problem with St Maries being ranked ahead of us since we have so much turnover on the roster. But ,unless St Maries stays undefeated or actually goes out and plays someone good outside of California, it won't stay that way for long.

DixieZag
07-10-2016, 08:08 AM
Of course it means next to zero, but it doesn't mean zero. Top 20's get more highlights on SportsCenter, better TV times, sets up some good expectations, easier to climb back after a loss. Doesn't do any good if you keep losing, but I don't think it means zero. Given a choice, I'd rather start ranked, the higher the better, over unranked.

Love it.

gonzagafan62
07-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Of course it means next to zero, but it doesn't mean zero. Top 20's get more highlights on SportsCenter, better TV times, sets up some good expectations, easier to climb back after a loss. Doesn't do any good if you keep losing, but I don't think it means zero. Given a choice, I'd rather start ranked, the higher the better, over unranked.

Love it.

100%

Mr Vulture
07-10-2016, 09:45 AM
The reason national writers are liking St Marys is two fold. The first thing is that most have limited knowledge about the makeup of the teams other than who they lost and who the recruits coming in are. Secondly, the majority know very little about Euro players and they lose track of transfers that had to sit a year and mission guys coming back.

I feel very confident that we win the conference and I also believe that BYU will be better than St Mary's as well. If St Marys would ever play a legit OOC schedule I think it would help them a bunch. The problem is they schedule like UW, which means mostly home games they should win with little risk.

DixieZag
07-10-2016, 05:07 PM
The reason national writers are liking St Marys is two fold. The first thing is that most have limited knowledge about the makeup of the teams other than who they lost and who the recruits coming in are. Secondly, the majority know very little about Euro players and they lose track of transfers that had to sit a year and mission guys coming back.

I feel very confident that we win the conference and I also believe that BYU will be better than St Mary's as well. If St Marys would ever play a legit OOC schedule I think it would help them a bunch. The problem is they schedule like UW, which means mostly home games they should win with little risk.

Bold statement. Maybe right, I don't know enough about it, but bold - SMC doesn't lose a guy off a team that had all kinds of talent, beat BYU 2x.

The point about scheduling is right on, too. SMC, especially this coming year when they have the people to beat very good programs even on the road.

gonzagafan62
07-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Bold statement. Maybe right, I don't know enough about it, but bold - SMC doesn't lose a guy off a team that had all kinds of talent, beat BYU 2x.

The point about scheduling is right on, too. SMC, especially this coming year when they have the people to beat very good programs even on the road.

They only beat BYU once. Just like every year. I think the outcome of zags vs byu in semifinals was easily who was going to win that title game for tourney.

GrizZAG
07-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Totally get it. St. Mary's loses no one and beat the Zags twice last year. Zags are great on paper at this point and unproven yet. St. Mary's is still that same very good team and our coach has a challenge before him. We are pumped about the prospect of all this talent of course but we won't know what we have for certain for a while either. ("We"..meaning ALL Zag fans Alum or not)

bartruff1
07-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Totally

MontanaCoyote
07-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Totally get it. St. Mary's loses no one and beat the Zags twice last year. Zags are great on paper at this point and unproven yet. St. Mary's is still that same very good team and our coach has a challenge before him. We are pumped about the prospect of all this talent of course but we won't know what we have for certain for a while either. ("We"..meaning ALL Zag fans Alum or not)

I fully believe that it WILL come all together and that it will be a real fun ride watching that developing chemistry. As always, I think Karo will be the leader that proves instrumental in making it happen, both with his play and his maturity and leadership.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-11-2016, 08:40 AM
I think the Gaels will be better in November than either BYU or Gonzaga. The Gaels return everything from a team that had great chemistry a year ago and won twenty-nine games. They should pick right up where they left off in March and should be one of the better teams in the country at the start of the season.

BYU and Gonzaga will be working with a lot of new players and integrating returning players into new roles. Both teams lost the two best players from last year's teams. You just don't replace players as good as Collinsworth, Wiltjer, and Sabonis without some growing pains. Those teams will need more time to develop than the Gaels.

I do believe that BYU and Gonzaga could be better than SMC by January. I sure hope the Zags are better.

ZagsObserver
07-11-2016, 08:51 AM

Or, you could look at them as a team that didn't make the tournament last year and was largely untested.

cbbfanatic
07-11-2016, 12:34 PM
having both teams in the teens feels a bit generous to me.

i think when all is said and done, GU could end up in that neighborhood from a merit/ceiling standpoint, but very unlikely for SMC.

Kiddwell
07-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Kiddwell thinks the Gaels' situation is stronger than that.*

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/16823996/six-teams-missed-tournament-ready-rise

*Barring injuries and incomprehensible losses, of course.

willandi
07-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Kiddwell thinks the Gaels' situation is stronger than that.*

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/16823996/six-teams-missed-tournament-ready-rise

*Barring injuries and incomprehensible losses, of course.

I believe that every team is in the hunt for a tourney bid, especially in July!

Kiddwell
07-11-2016, 05:17 PM

Well, that's true. :rolleyes:

Mantua
07-11-2016, 05:47 PM

You are much too rational, especially for news hungry fans dying to discuss absolutely anything during the long summer. Where's the fun?

;)

Zagger
07-12-2016, 04:29 AM
Wishful thinking or not ..... bet the Zags scorch SMC this coming season. Reason .... depth/bench. My feeling with all the talent the Zags have + MtK back = scrappy & high scoring play. I see an explosive Zag bunch taking the wind out of SMC. Go Zags!