PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Conference Basketball Early Review

Zagdawg
06-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Gonzaga, Saint Mary's rivalry will define West Coast Conference basketball in 2016-17

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/6/29/12034232/west-coast-conference-basketball-preview-2016-2017-gonzaga-saint-marys-byu

zagsfanforlife
06-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Gonzaga, Saint Mary's rivalry will define West Coast Conference basketball in 2016-17

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/6/29/12034232/west-coast-conference-basketball-preview-2016-2017-gonzaga-saint-marys-byu

Byu is loaded too. Haws mika emery are all studs. Transfer Elijah Bryant and Lj hoes will be ballers and they have good recruits.

Lmu loses jacko who went pro. So this article is a bit off

CdAZagFan
06-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Byu is loaded too. Haws mika emery are all studs. Transfer Elijah Bryant and Lj hoes will be ballers and they have good recruits.

Was thinking the same thing... Must not sit very well with BYU always being overlooked like they are (deservedly so?)

Coach Crazy
06-29-2016, 10:12 AM

And the dude left J3 off the transfer list following the article. I agree, that BYU will be loaded. I am interested to see what style of play Yoeli Childs is asked to adopt.

DixieZag
06-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Pretty good article.

Minor question, is this even remotely true?

Alec Wintering might be the best point guard in the conference

He's a nice player, seems like a great guy, too. I like him, but ....

GoZags
06-29-2016, 10:22 AM
I take issue with this statement ....

After five straight years of second-round disappointment ....

Only one of those 5 seasons were the Zags the higher seed. In the other 4 2nd round games Gonzaga's average seed was 8.5 vs their opponents being 1.75. Makes the whole "Few32" paradigm a bit silly (in my opinion).

gonzagafan62
06-29-2016, 10:44 AM
Lol don't mention Jordan Mathews

Mr Vulture
06-29-2016, 10:57 AM
I haven't read the article yet but I will go on record right now and say that Saint Mary's finishes behind both Gonzaga and BYU.

gonstu
06-29-2016, 11:35 AM
I haven't read the article yet but I will go on record right now and say that Saint Mary's finishes behind both Gonzaga and BYU.

agreed

gonzagafan62
06-29-2016, 12:10 PM

Me too. SMC while a very good team is back to 3rd place

Coach Crazy
06-29-2016, 12:55 PM

If you, gonzagafan62, and I agree on something, it has to be true. That is rare.

Zag_Dad
06-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Me too. SMC while a very good team is back to 3rd place

I have to agree... Saint Mary's biggest accomplishment last year was beating Gonzaga twice. I would argue that Gonzaga "lost" both those games versus Saint Mary's "winning" them. Not trying to make excuses or take credit away from SMC, but without the season sweep of GU Saint Mary's didn't do much last year, thus being left out of the NCAA tournament. I pick them to finish third behind GU and BYU.

sittingon50
06-29-2016, 01:41 PM
I'll disagree. SMC will have the better chemistry (from the jump) & the better Coach.

exclusivelee
06-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Zags chemistry by WCC play should catapult Gonzaga to #1. Saint Mary's #2. BYU #3. #4-#10 is a huge toss up. Gonna have to look at the returning players.

I think Santa Clara #4. Jared Brownridge K.J. Feagin, & Nate Kratch have been pretty good

ZagsObserver
06-29-2016, 03:07 PM
I'd pick BYU over SMC.

godfamilycountryzags
06-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Every year since BYU joined the league, it seems most here pick them 2nd. I'm going with history, and a well coached SMC, then BYU. After that, I have no idea, but Santa Clara seems to have the most returning talent. I look forward to watching some battles in conference, and watching three WCC teams in in the NCAA's, maybe even a couple the second weekend.

maynard g krebs
06-29-2016, 03:55 PM
After last year, you'd think people would learn not to write off St Mary's.

raise the zag
06-29-2016, 04:04 PM
I think the WCC has 3 Top-25 teams next season.

BYU will be undervalued and they will be good. Better than last season.

They are much stronger underneath the hoop, add 2 nice transfers, and a Top-60 4* recruit.

Emery is a Zag killer, so is Mika. He double-doubled us many times his Frosh season. Add in Haws younger bro, returning talent.

Even with the graduation of Collingsworth this is a very good team.

St Mary's as well. Not just returning starting-5, rather their starting-8, from a WCC Championship team. They will be just as hungry, more seasoned, more aggressive, esp their young and talented bigs will be prime.

We will be good too.

Going to be a battle, yet WCC with (3) Top-25 ranked teams by January.

JAGzag
06-29-2016, 04:18 PM
It's really, really hard to give SMC any respect when they don't play anyone not named Gonzaga. "A player on the national stage?" Sorry, but GU didn't get to prominence by only beating WCC teams. SMC ONLY claim to prominence is when they play and best GU. Period. You want it? Earn it by playing anyone anywhere. Until then SMC will always be the 2nd best team in a middle of the pack league.

hooter73
06-29-2016, 05:27 PM
It's really, really hard to give SMC any respect when they don't play anyone not named Gonzaga. "A player on the national stage?" Sorry, but GU didn't get to prominence by only beating WCC teams. SMC ONLY claim to prominence is when they play and best GU. Period. You want it? Earn it by playing anyone anywhere. Until then SMC will always be the 2nd best team in a middle of the pack league.

100%

bartruff1
06-29-2016, 05:44 PM
I'll disagree. SMC will have the better chemistry (from the jump) & the better Coach.

+ 1

Mantua
06-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Beating BYU is going to depend on our defense and quickness. JWIII can block shots. (I have a nagging worry about the minor meniscus issue.) PK is a good lane filler and rim protector if he is 100%. I expect NWG and JM to be tough guys. Melson was a pretty good defender at the end of last season. My bet is that Novell will be a defensive nightmare for opposing point guards, quick and crafty. BYU has big bodies and we all know how physical they can be, but I think they may be a little slower than the Zag's this year.

Does anyone who watched the scrimmages have a take on the defense? Does Rui look like he could use his size against Mika?

gonzagafan62
06-29-2016, 06:08 PM

Truth. SMC has never earned my respect for anything more than being a good borderline tourney team. It's not that they suck, because they don't. It's just that they don't prove otherwise.

So no, SMC doesn't deserve respect nationally, or to win a conference

gonzagafan62
06-29-2016, 06:10 PM

Randy isn't better than rose or few

DixieZag
06-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Beating BYU is going to depend on our defense and quickness. JWIII can block shots. (I have a nagging worry about the minor meniscus issue.) PK is a good lane filler and rim protector if he is 100%. I expect NWG and JM to be tough guys. Melson was a pretty good defender at the end of last season. My bet is that Novell will be a defensive nightmare for opposing point guards, quick and crafty. BYU has big bodies and we all know how physical they can be, but I think they may be a little slower than the Zag's this year.

Does anyone who watched the scrimmages have a take on the defense? Does Rui look like he could use his size against Mika?

I think we need to distinguish the coaching at SMC as "SMC" and the players that have come through there. They've had some gems and they all seem to be good guys, quality kids. Those players I respect. I think it's disrespectful to them when they don't get a chance to go beat some top teams, which they would on some occasions.

Mantua
06-29-2016, 09:02 PM
I think we need to distinguish the coaching at SMC as "SMC" and the players that have come through there. They've had some gems and they all seem to be good guys, quality kids. Those players I respect. I think it's disrespectful to them when they don't get a chance to go beat some top teams, which they would on some occasions.

I'm not as concerned about our defense when it comes to SMC, although it may be difficult to stifle their prodigious offense. I think our offense will be good enough to stay on par with SMC this year. Quickness will be key in defending against them, whereas quickness, strength and size are big factors defending against BYU.

sittingon50
06-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Randy isn't better than rose or few

The comments above mine pertained to BYU & SMC, 62.

I like Rose (& not so much Bennett), but IMHO RB is the better Coach of the 2.

cggonzaga
06-29-2016, 10:57 PM

+1

DixieZag
06-30-2016, 05:56 AM
I'm not as concerned about our defense when it comes to SMC, although it may be difficult to stifle their prodigious offense. I think our offense will be good enough to stay on par with SMC this year. Quickness will be key in defending against them, whereas quickness, strength and size are big factors defending against BYU.

I was speaking to the phrase "I have no respect for SMC" as an overall proposition, not regarding play this year or any particular year.

gonzagafan62
06-30-2016, 06:14 AM

Fair enough 50. I disagree but to each their own. It's splitting hairs for me, but I'll take DR

Virginia Zags Fan
06-30-2016, 06:34 AM

Mika is several inches taller than Rui and a proven scorer. Mika is 20-21 years old. I think Rui is more athletic and will be better in time. IMHO, it would be asking a lot of Rui to defend Mika right now. Give Rui a year in the system, some time to polish his game, and he will be very good and a tough load for opposing teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webspinnre
06-30-2016, 07:12 AM
Why would Rui be defending Mika? Last I heard, the plan is for Rui to play the 3.

amaronizag
06-30-2016, 07:18 AM
I think Mika is a really good player, but I'm pretty confident that Karno, Collins, Williams, and Larson will combine their efforts to effectively stifle Mika. BYU will be good as will SMC. But I think our scoring threat at every position, depth, size, perimeter defense, and rim protection will be really exceptional so I'm not so worried about SMC's great perimeter shooting. This season I'm only worried about the top eight teams in the nation and whether we can beat 3 of them in the tournament next March. Oh what a year!!!

Coach Crazy
06-30-2016, 07:20 AM
Why would Rui be defending Mika? Last I heard, the plan is for Rui to play the 3.

He may end up getting a run at some 4. While Rui would be presented a challenge because of the physicality from Mika, Rui has good balance and doesn't tend to over commit when reacting to and anticipating the movement of a defender. Also, watch some of his blocks. In at least one, I saw what may have been him blocking the shot with his fingers and no palm. To have that kind of attention to detail would be pretty impressive. Not surprising, considering the culture that he hails from, but still impressive. All indicative of the kind of player he could definitely become.

So, while he may have some issues matching the physicality of a heavier offensive player, he may still be able to block some shots in the paint.

hondo
06-30-2016, 07:30 AM
Last season the best defense I saw played against Domas was JWIII. In the paint Williams is one tough customer.

If one looks at resources vs results Bennett has done a fantastic job at SMC.

amaronizag
06-30-2016, 07:41 AM
And I think Tillie will be a good shot blocker also. Things may not end well for those attacking the paint against GU this year.