PDA

View Full Version : Dated today

sittingon50
06-28-2016, 02:50 PM
don't think I've seen it on this board, yet:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016/6/28/12026486/the-zags-appear-to-be-a-in-a-new-era-of-the-program

krozman
06-28-2016, 03:08 PM
The article talks about how we're in this new era, but then says "Gonzaga will never be Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, Louisville, etc." I mean, I get that the past of GU is not the past of these programs..... but isn't the entire point of the article that we're closer to these programs than ever before?

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 03:10 PM
The article talks about how we're in this new era, but then says "Gonzaga will never be Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, Louisville, etc." I mean, I get that the past of GU is not the past of these programs..... but isn't the entire point of the article that we're closer to these programs than ever before?

I agree. It is an awkward statement. And I just don't agree that we won't ever be that way, in terms of program prestige.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 04:06 PM
I agree. It is an awkward statement. And I just don't agree that we won't ever be that way, in terms of program prestige.

Save for the bluest of the blues, viz. Kentucky, Duke, Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA, Arizona, Syracuse, maybe a couple more, the Zag program is right there. Not your father's Zags anymore, which for some old hands here might be a mixed blessing. MSU is Izzo, the Ville is Ricky, and to some extent the Cuse is Bowhyam, so their staying power is uncertain.

Goshzagit
06-28-2016, 04:57 PM

Within our so-called niche, we already are on that level. In the grand scheme and in the history of NCAA hoops -- 100 yrs from now -- already pretty close. Our mystique will always have a place in itself.

Zags are one for the history books!

DixieZag
06-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Save for the bluest of the blues, viz. Kentucky, Duke, Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA, Arizona, Syracuse, maybe a couple more, the Zag program is right there. Not your father's Zags anymore, which for some old hands here might be a mixed blessing. MSU is Izzo, the Ville is Ricky, and to some extent the Cuse is Bowhyam, so their staying power is uncertain.

I have all the faith of anyone but I'm not sure how our fate is more certain than Syracuse and Louisville. I leave out MSU b/c Izzo is the greatest living coach in any sport in my mind, facts be damned AND b/c we've seen power B1G teams fall after loss of a coach - namely Michigan, Indiana. But, Syracuse and Louisville play the role of their hometown pro-teams, much like here. Plus, they feed on football money.

Now, they're also criminals, but criminal syndicates outlive any one family member (so I'm told).

I like being the non-criminal rep to the group. But, we basically have ridden this wave on the back of one coach, too. I DO think we have the intangibles that can survive a coaching change - the family integrity (non-crim) being a big one, a well-run Ath. Dept rising in all areas, financial support from the Admin, rising academics, all that. But, I'm not sure I'd put us on that much more solid footing than them. They'll buy their way into the NCAA tournament if needed - see above. I think their footing is pretty solid.

I like your post, that's why I brought you a word salad. :)

seacatfan
06-28-2016, 05:42 PM

Denny Crum won two Titles at Louisville long before Ricky P. showed up. I'd be every bit or more worried about Duke after K retires than the 'Ville post Pitino. Cuse is really interesting. Boeheim has been there absolutely forever. It's hard to imagine a time when he wasn't there.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Denny Crum won two Titles at Louisville long before Ricky P. showed up. I'd be every bit or more worried about Duke after K retires than the 'Ville post Pitino. Cuse is really interesting. Boeheim has been there absolutely forever. It's hard to imagine a time when he wasn't there.

Memphis was pretty dreary between Denny and Ricky. But u make a good point. The evergreens, just to change the color of my metaphor, are really Kansas, Carolina, indiana, maybe UCLA.

seacatfan
06-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Memphis was pretty dreary between Denny and Ricky. But u make a good point. The evergreens, just to change the color of my metaphor, are really Kansas, Carolina, indiana, maybe UCLA.

Memphis? These waters are getting muddy now! I thought Pitino followed Crum immediately, but Denny definitely took a downswing towards the end of his tenure.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Memphis? These waters are getting muddy now! I thought Pitino followed Crum immediately, but Denny definitely took a downswing towards the end of his tenure.

Oops. My bad. Sorry. Still u make a good pt. I was thinking of Denny's twilight years, as you say.