PDA

View Full Version : OT ... Seattle Times piece questioning Romar/Brandon Roy and "crossing the line"

GoZags
06-27-2016, 08:22 PM
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/did-lorenzo-romar-brandon-roy-and-uws-recruiting-of-the-porter-brothers-cross-the-line/

Ouch

"raising eyebrows"

"Larry Brown playbook"

hooter73
06-27-2016, 09:28 PM
How in the living hell is Romars bs just now becoming a story???

MDABE80
06-27-2016, 09:33 PM
He's dirty. All this doens't happen by accident. It may be legal technically but apparently eh's willing to be seen in a dirty light to win a few games with the Porter kids. Love the part where the kid says it's not a sure thing and that he may still be looking. Now they've apparently corrupted the kid too. High moral character? Doesn't sound like it. If I was a coach in the Metro, I'd be furious. Pretty good manipulation though......Seattle Times is sticking its neck out on this. I doubt they'd print this if they didn't know more.

LongIslandZagFan
06-28-2016, 05:59 AM
I am no fan of Lorenzo... but that would be one heck of a long game to be friends with a guy for 20+ years and becoming the godfather of a kid in hopes he is going to turn out to being a great player.... just sayin'.

That being said... the hiring looks fishy.

MDABE80
06-28-2016, 07:41 AM
Wrong issue. He probably never had plans 20 years ago. He wasn't even the coach then. But, as things "evolve", Romar's in a position to capitalize on being the godfather. So here comes these kids ( unborn 20 years ago) and all of a sudden, he sees an opportunity because these 2 kids are now stars...
Thus the story. To even posit that he might be innocent BECAUSE of what he was doing or not doing 20 years ago is not the point and muddies the waters.

GoZags
06-28-2016, 07:49 AM
I am no fan of Lorenzo... but that would be one heck of a long game to be friends with a guy for 20+ years and becoming the godfather of a kid in hopes he is going to turn out to being a great player.... just sayin'.

That being said... the hiring looks fishy.

Looking at what's going on (based on the article) ... the last job Mr. Porter had before being hired at Washington was for the Mizzou women's team. What a coincidence that his 6'3" and 6'4" daughters ended up going there ... and ended up leading the Tigers to their first NCAA tourney win since '01. Could lightning strike twice with this family? The only difference is the 6' 9" boys are younger than their sisters.

I wonder what the guy is going to do for work once his kids finish up with college? Perhaps one or more will be able to play professionally and take care of him that way.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 08:00 AM
I just don't really have a problem with it. People work preferentially in many aspects of life. There isn't anything morally wrong with it. If it is against the rules, then those situations would have a system in place to provide for some type of rectification. Is there a possibility of engaging in something for selfish motives and having undue influence on those to whom you are connected? Sure. In that case, it would be a negative. But it hasn't come to that, yet. And we don't know how these kids feel. What if they want to go to Washington, anyway?

Even if you are totally against this, the person closest to the kids is the father. The person with the most succinct moral, spiritual, fiduciary, social (etc.) responsibility to these kids is him. I don't like Lorenzo Romar, but this isn't going to do enough for his program. And we are going to continue to beat the brakes off his teams.

GoZags
06-28-2016, 08:02 AM
I just don't really have a problem with it. People work preferentially in many aspects of life. There isn't anything morally wrong with it. If it is against the rules, then those situations would have a system in place to provide for some type of rectification. Is there a possibility of engaging in something for selfish motives and having undue influence on those to whom you are connected? Sure. In that case, it would be a negative. But it hasn't come to that, yet. And we don't know how these kids feel. What if they want to go to Washington, anyway?

Even if you are totally against this, the person closest to the kids is the father. The person with the most succinct moral, spiritual, fiduciary, social (etc.) responsibility to these kids is him. I don't like Lorenzo Romar, but this isn't going to do enough for his program. And we are going to continue to beat the brakes off his teams.

Agree with your take ... and also agree that GU will continue to dominate regardless of how many blue chip recruits end up at Montlake.

LongIslandZagFan
06-28-2016, 08:05 AM
Wrong issue. He probably never had plans 20 years ago. He wasn't even the coach then. But, as things "evolve", Romar's in a position to capitalize on being the godfather. So here comes these kids ( unborn 20 years ago) and all of a sudden, he sees an opportunity because these 2 kids are now stars...
Thus the story. To even posit that he might be innocent BECAUSE of what he was doing or not doing 20 years ago is not the point and muddies the waters.

My point is... while I think it looks shady... the relationships may have for more to do with it than recruiting the kid. JMHO... the Brandon Roy thing... a HUUUGE stretch.

The reality is... even if he gets the kid... highly doubt he'll even make the NIT with them.

Romar's memoir is going to be titled: "Doing So Little With So Much: How I Could Never Coach Myself Out of a Box"

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Agree with your take ... and also agree that GU will continue to dominate regardless of how many blue chip recruits end up at Montlake.

What I will have a problem with, is if the father is manipulating the situation and doesn't care about what the boys want (and Lorenzo knows about it, and still goes with it). At that point, he's not honoring the sacred responsibility of being a father. Then I have a problem. I just don't know enough about the situation to say something definitive.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 08:17 AM
My point is... while I think it looks shady... the relationships may have for more to do with it than recruiting the kid. JMHO... the Brandon Roy thing... a HUUUGE stretch.

The reality is... even if he gets the kid... highly doubt he'll even make the NIT with them.

Romar's memoir is going to be titled: "Doing So Little With So Much: How I Could Never Coach Myself Out of a Box"

And when people of varying perspectives (myself, you and others on the board, Colin Cowherd...) all see the same thing, it doesn't bode well for you. And if, all of the sudden, he can't get kids into the league? UW won't fire him...the kids will.

MDABE80
06-28-2016, 09:34 AM

No you poo poo'd it because of something 20 years ago when what happened 20 years ago has nothing to do with the past year. It was a set up and it look like even the Seattle people are knowing this. More will come forth.

GoZags
06-28-2016, 09:46 AM
cfetters wrote:
Because it's high profile. It's red meat. It's low-hanging fruit.

GoZags wrote:
I agree with you Chris, but one thing I didn't know until I read the Times piece was about Mr. Porter's tenure at Mizzou. I DID read that making the jump from women's assistant to men's assistant is rare ... But I had no idea that there's a 6'3" Porter daughter and a 6' 4" Porter daughter going to school there, and that play on the Mizzou women's team (and led them to their first NCAA tourney win since '01). Seems like a "pattern" is emerging.

Huskiezfan wrote:
Actually the pattern is Michael Porter Sr. goes to work for friends and family. Most of the world is like that - most people prefer to hire a known quantity, someone they trust and work well with. When Romar was coach at Athletes in Action, Michael Porter Sr. played for him so their relationship goes back over half a lifetime. At Missouri, the head coach is his sister in law and at Washington, the head coach is a friend for 30 years and the godfather of his oldest son. The fact that Michael Porter Sr. and his wife have 8 kids tells me they need scholarship money to get their kids thru college. Fortunately at least 4 of them, and likely more based on the family genes, have the athletic ability to earn scholarships. They are also excellent students. The good news is once they are done with college they will be self-supporting, a solution everyone should strive to provide for their kids. This has been going on for decades and is legal under NCAA rules. The most high profile time I remember is when Kansas hired Ed Manning, the father of Danny Manning, future All American and All star NBA player. Danny of course helped Kansas win a national championship.The detractors also forget other schools, starting with Texas A & M, were trying to hire Michael Porter Sr. and Michael Porter Sr. had previously been offered a job by Washington in 2015 but chose to stay at Missouri as his second daughter was starting her freshman year.
At the Seattle Times, we have Frank Blethen whose claim to fame is shooting ducks from his front yard as well as a neighbor's dog because it was barking. So when the Seattle Times questions ethics, I find it hilarious as they just need to look in the mirror. I guess their vision is clouded by the many family members who are Cougars - makes you wonder about their academic credentials!

maynard g krebs
06-28-2016, 11:07 AM
I read it as a borderline puff piece, addressing the issues and presenting justification for each, with just superficial appearance of being critical. Times always does that with Husky issues. Key is Stone's last sentence, where he states that Romar (paraphrasing) approached the line but didn't cross it.

But this is exactly the same as Oregon State w/ the Thompsons. So fairness here would dictate that we say the same about Tinkle. Wonder what the difference is. Hmmmm..............

LongIslandZagFan
06-28-2016, 11:18 AM
No you poo poo'd it because of something 20 years ago when what happened 20 years ago has nothing to do with the past year. It was a set up and it look like even the Seattle people are knowing this. More will come forth.

Didn't poo poo it... but too call it a bonfire when its a whiff of smoke from an ember is a stretch too.

sittingon50
06-28-2016, 11:24 AM
"But this is exactly the same as Oregon State w/ the Thompsons. So fairness here would dictate that we say the same about Tinkle."

In this instance I think I would give Romar more of a pass than Tinkle unless of course Coaches Tinkle & Thompson had a long standing relationship that I was not aware of.

MDABE80
06-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Didn't poo poo it... but too call it a bonfire when its a whiff of smoke from an ember is a stretch too.

funnin ya LIZ....no worries.

LongIslandZagFan
06-28-2016, 11:45 AM
funnin ya LIZ....no worries.

No prob... We agree I am sure that regardless, if he gets the kid, he'll be lucky to make a postseason tourney.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 11:59 AM
I read it as a borderline puff piece, addressing the issues and presenting justification for each, with just superficial appearance of being critical. Times always does that with Husky issues. Key is Stone's last sentence, where he states that Romar (paraphrasing) approached the line but didn't cross it.

But this is exactly the same as Oregon State w/ the Thompsons. So fairness here would dictate that we say the same about Tinkle. Wonder what the difference is. Hmmmm..............

It was better than the Seattle PI piece, though. Jim Moore sounded like a hurt Cougar fan, and not an objective journalist. If the Cougs were doing this, do you think he would be as against it?

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 02:28 PM
All I know is, Coach Ro ain't no Coach Brown.

bballbeachbum
06-28-2016, 08:33 PM

excellent post and thought the same thing

MDABE80
06-28-2016, 09:48 PM
I don't think the author would put this out there if there wasn't something bad going on. Lorenzo is pretty special in the Seattle area.

Ikancagin
06-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Maybe if there is an ethical problem here, Mr. Porter can get a job with the Bellevue HS Football program. It may have openings.

krozman
06-29-2016, 11:56 AM
The only ethical problem I see is that Romar is still allowed to pretend to coach basketball. Some kids make it out to the NBA and that seems to be a measure of good coaching it seems, but if Gonzaga missed 5 straight years of NCAA tournaments with top level talent, arms would be up.

MDABE80
06-29-2016, 12:13 PM
"The only ethical problem I see is that Romar is still allowed to pretend to coach basketball. " says Kroz.
I say "bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa". How funny. Nice one Kroz.

Zagdawg
06-29-2016, 12:56 PM
Jeff BorzelloVerified account
‏@jeffborzello
ESPN 100 guard Jaylen Nowell committed to Washington. Story with quotes up shortly.

Ranked #45 by ESPN

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207865/jaylen-nowell

MDABE80
06-29-2016, 01:30 PM
Markelle Fultz will be their one and done this upcoming year. Romar's nothing but a portal to the NBA for some of these kids. UW needs a program not a salesman who's turning UW into a doorstop in the Pac 12. Who knows? Given the corruption stories, maybe it's time for him to depart. Great Bs'er to these kids. With the above acquisition, I wonder what Mr JDavis is thinking about his chances at UW next year.
In my world this is hardly a place to train a kid up.

Zagdawg
06-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Sources are saying that Jaylen Nowells mother has accepted a position as "administrative assistant to the University of Washington basketball team" effective September 1.

The quote from the release by UW and Romar -- "We have been searching for the right administrative assistant for some time and Mrs. Nowells seemed like the perfect fit--and the timing was perfect".

;)

sittingon50
06-29-2016, 01:43 PM
You got me, Zd!

:doh:

TheZagPhish
06-29-2016, 04:07 PM
The tentacles of that pursuit have led in some eye-opening directions and caused some to wonder if Romar, always regarded as a paragon of integrity, has succumbed just a bit to the untoward realities of college basketball.

Um... Paragon of integrity?

GoZags
06-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Um... Paragon of integrity?

So sorry to mix "business" with "pleasure" but seeing our hero "TheZagPhish" here compels me to share this thread from the vaunted "Foo" ... after the school once known as "UWKFC" chickened out of it's annual beatdown/series with Gonzaga. I believe some of our newer members "missed" this one.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?4246-The-Poultry-thread&highlight=Romar

HalfZagHalfHusky
06-30-2016, 03:29 PM
Romar is a straight up guy. I've never had a problem with him as a person. I think everything he does has been straight up and clean. His coaching on the other hand...hah. I think we all know where Romar stands as an in-game coach.

He has known the Porters for two decades. To say something like "Oh he is only his godfathers because of so and so" is incorrect. I live in Seattle and I think regardless of the hiring of his dad, he was going to land MPJ either way. It won't matter as he will be one and done and I doubt Romar will know what to do with him anyways.