PDA

View Full Version : What brought you to Gonzaga?

gonzagafan62
06-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Offseason and I'm curious: What made you (if you're an alum) choose Gonzaga as your school to attend - or if you are just a fan - why did you start rooting for them?

SLOZag
06-27-2016, 11:26 AM
While living in Spokane, I applied to Harvard, Yale, Stanford & GU. GU said "Come on in!"

Once and Future Zag
06-27-2016, 11:30 AM
A car.

Corky
06-27-2016, 11:34 AM
A car.

Made me choke on my taco! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160627/fa3a734549ec7d5ccea388e6f590cbd2.jpg

Zaglaw
06-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Weekend MBA program in the 80's. Later, this was the only Law School in Eastern Washington - knew this is where we wanted to be.

Zaga
06-27-2016, 11:43 AM
1997/98 the Zag's beat Clemson which at the time was ranked 5th. Team chemistry and play turned me into a fan. Since then it has been a great ride of watching how each team fights for the right to return to where the slipper was first put on in 1999 I believe. The Zag's of those days past and still today "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome" That is why I became a fan then and am still one today.

Zagdawg
06-27-2016, 11:52 AM
Good local school-- got a good scholarship/financial aid package--rest is history.

DixieZag
06-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Perfectly sized school, 9 hour drive from home, not too far or close, and Jesuit academic principles (the biggest.)

One of the most beneficial decisions of my life.

gonzagafan62
06-27-2016, 12:11 PM
A car.

LOL! Walked into that one I guess

hooter73
06-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Not an alum but I came in with Dr. Krause, loved it more and more every year. They play with principle, thats what i see as different than most every other program

LongIslandZagFan
06-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Mom was a prof there... Cost-wise it was a no brainer... once there I never wanted to leave.

Coach Crazy
06-27-2016, 12:30 PM
LOL! Walked into that one I guess

Was it moving or parked?

webspinnre
06-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Wanted to stay in the Northwest, felt like it was a good fit, and they offered me the best scholarship package.

gonzagafan62
06-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Was it moving or parked?

Is this a real question? Of course it was parked!

Coach Crazy
06-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Is this a real question? Of course it was parked!

When cars hit me, they crumple. So, you never know.

cjm720
06-27-2016, 01:01 PM
Jesuit academic tradition.

My Dad.

Close enough yet far enough from home.

zag67
06-27-2016, 01:04 PM
both older brothers went to GP
Therefore I went to GP.
Then on to GU, since I had followed them from the mid 50s

sittingon50
06-27-2016, 01:51 PM
BZ's harem.

RenoZag
06-27-2016, 02:16 PM
ROTC dept brought Gonzaga to my attention after I landed a 4 year scholly in Spring of 1975. Thought it would be a great adventure to attend school so far from home (grew up in Northern Calif) and with a better student - teacher ratio than the school I had provisionally committed to ( UC Davis ).

It was a random impulse that I've never regretted. The name recognition brought about by the success of the basketball team has been nice but I would be just as proud to call myself a Zag if they only made the Big Dance occasionally. The friends I made at GU and the influence of the university on my life have carried me through some trying times.

isongd
06-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Dickau got my attention, Turiaf kept it, then Morrison stole my heart. The rest is history.

Almost ended up at Gonzaga for law school, but scholarship considerations made me choose elsewhere. Still need to get to Spokane for a game.

GoZags
06-27-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm the only one in my family over the last 3 generations that has a college degree that's not from UDub. My best friend's older brother went to Gonzaga ... so I checked it out ... and loved it. (still do). BTW I learned how to say "Go Huskies" long before I knew how to say "GoZags"

Also ... got to play hockey again ... and started every game for 4 years except 1. The fellow to my right (with the broken nose) started that one.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/BjvTYbcCAAAupF8_zpsb234fa0e.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/BjvTYbcCAAAupF8_zpsb234fa0e.jpg.html)

maynard g krebs
06-27-2016, 03:00 PM
First noticed the Zags when Rillie went off in the 95 WCC final. Thrilling game.

Went to every UW game Dickau's fr year, 97-98. Saw the Zags w/sophs Santangelo/ Frahm, fr Calvary, jr Hall, sr Hendrix lose a close one, something like 88-82, and was hooked. When Dickau transferred, my fandom was cemented.

Zagger
06-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Already had degrees from WSU & EWU so what the heck :)

Birddog
06-27-2016, 04:59 PM
I was found as an infant in a reed basket floating in the calm waters near some willows in the old millpond now called Lake Arthur. The kids that found me turned me over to the nuns at St Josephs Childrens Home and they raised me through my teenage years. Well not quite like that. I was born in Spokane and raised in a large Gonzaga area home at 823 E Sinto. The house is now long gone. I received my first GU letterman's jacket for my 6th birthday, the rest just fell into place. When I applied for college admission, I had a tough time coming up with 2 alternates. I'm also a GIF alum. I probably first roamed the halls of the old Admin Bldg (now College Hall?) with my older brother at about age 6. I knew just about every nook and cranny on campus by 6th grade.

jazzdelmar
06-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Matt Santangelo, played and looked like my son on the court.

GeorgiaZagFan
06-27-2016, 07:18 PM
Grew up in Port Townsend ...went to college at EWSU (now EWU) ...played baseball and pitched against Gonzaga back in the 70's...had friends attend GU ....moved to Georgia for a job back in 1981 and as a lover of college basketball I moved to the wrong state. So many good players come out of Georgia but the college teams here have been mediocre at best. In fact, since 2002 Gonzaga has more NCAA appearances than the entire state of Georgia ...so as the Zags rose to prominence...I jumped on board as a fan ....

seacatfan
06-27-2016, 07:22 PM
I was vaguely aware of Gonzaga before (John Stockton of course), but my dad and I were at the Tourney games at Key Arena in '99. Was immediately smitten with the Zags and have been rooting for them ever since.

GoZags
06-27-2016, 07:37 PM
I was vaguely aware of Gonzaga before (John Stockton of course), but my dad and I were at the Tourney games at Key Arena in '99. Was immediately smitten with the Zags and have been rooting for them ever since.

Obvious you aren't a Husky fan. The '99 dance at KeyArena was almost a home court situation ... as the Zags WERE the darlings .... the "Little Engine" that could. A few years later it was a different situation, as the Huskies were handed their hats game after game after game (etc. etc. etc.). Only the Battle in Seattle makes KeyArena a home court situation. Even the '15 wins over NDSU and Iowa were in front of a mixed crowd.

seacatfan
06-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Obvious you aren't a Husky fan. The '99 dance at KeyArena was almost a home court situation ... as the Zags WERE the darlings .... the "Little Engine" that could. A few years later it was a different situation, as the Huskies were handed their hats game after game after game (etc. etc. etc.). Only the Battle in Seattle makes KeyArena a home court situation. Even the '15 wins over NDSU and Iowa were in front of a mixed crowd.

I went to a couple of those post-'99 beatdowns by the Zags at Hec Ed, before Romar started having some success and it got harder to get tickets. (As a side note I went to a number of UW games that didn't involve GU. Caught a few classics. Unfortunately some of them at the expense of my UA Wildcats, including the infamous Nate Robinson tip jam over the top of Channing Frye, and knocking off #1 and undefeated Stanford)

Crowd was still firmly behind GU in '04, didn't do much good. That was one frustrating game. I thought the crowd was fairly decent against Iowa, but definitely NDSU gained some underdog support.

Zagceo
06-27-2016, 08:45 PM
My high school baseball coach was friends with Steve Hertz and set up a visit my junior year.

Hertz left the next year and Lawler came in. I decided to try and walk on didn't make the team but did end up going to GIF and winning 3 intramural softball championships.

TexasZagFan
06-28-2016, 06:07 AM
ROTC dept brought Gonzaga to my attention after I landed a 4 year scholly in Spring of 1975. Thought it would be a great adventure to attend school so far from home (grew up in Northern Calif) and with a better student - teacher ratio than the school I had provisionally committed to ( UC Davis ).

It was a random impulse that I've never regretted. The name recognition brought about by the success of the basketball team has been nice but I would be just as proud to call myself a Zag if they only made the Big Dance occasionally. The friends I made at GU and the influence of the university on my life have carried me through some trying times.

Same here. I had narrowed my choices down to GU and UCLA, at least until MAJ Phelps made a recruiting visit to my HS. To say the man was gregarious does not do the term justice. Plus, I was pulled out of calculus class for my meeting with him, the rest of the class was floored. My teacher was thrilled, he was a former Jesuit priest who taught at Marquette.

My stepfather's only input was that GU was an excellent school, and that Bing Crosby went there.

Going to GU was the best decision I ever made. It opened the door to experiences that I could never have dreamed of as an immature 18 YO kid. As RZ said, the name recognition is great, but it's just icing on the cake.

Over the years, I've been asked by locals "what was your college experience like?" I dust off a couple of quick stories, and the response I get from alums from mega-state schools is "damn, my college experience was nothing like that."

I felt it from the first week I arrived on campus. The change from a clique infested, peer pressure dominated HS near Berkeley to the close knit, welcoming Gonzaga community is something I will never forget.

75Zag
06-28-2016, 09:01 AM
I went to GU over UW or Whitman because GU offered me a very nice scholarship if I would participate in the GU Debate Team. As it turned out, when I arrived on campus and met the debate coach (a very strange nun named Sister Mary Margaret or something like that) I promptly declined the debate scholarship but it was too late to back out and attend my other choices. And then a few days after arriving at GU as a freshman I met the lovely Mrs. '75 and the rest, as they say, is history. GU was a great education and the added excitement of Expo '74 was fun. Our daughter Little '75 also enjoyed GU and her education there launched her on a very successful career path.
Go Bulldogs!

former1dog
06-28-2016, 09:14 AM
I had earned an ROTC scholarship and gained admission to GU. When my Dad found out, he was all for it and that cemented my decision.

Fun story, my Dad attended Gonzaga for only his freshman year. He was a grown man with children and a WWII vet attending on the GI Bill. It was 1948 ish and at the time, Fr. Art Dussault must have been in his mid to late 40's. After that year, Dad transferred to University of Montana to enroll in their pharmacy program.

To my knowledge, Dad never returned to Gonzaga after that. Until the fall of 1988 when he drove me out for my freshman year. We were at the welcome mixer and here comes Fr. Dussault, now in his 80's. He walks right up to my Dad and said hello, addressing him by name!!!!

What a memory.

CanadianZagsFan
06-28-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm the only one in my family over the last 3 generations that has a college degree that's not from UDub. My best friend's older brother went to Gonzaga ... so I checked it out ... and loved it. (still do). BTW I learned how to say "Go Huskies" long before I knew how to say "GoZags"

Also ... got to play hockey again ... and started every game for 4 years except 1. The fellow to my right (with the broken nose) started that one.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/BjvTYbcCAAAupF8_zpsb234fa0e.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/BjvTYbcCAAAupF8_zpsb234fa0e.jpg.html)

Cool! My dad played on Zags hockey team as Canadian import player while going to school at Eastern Washington (I guess that was allowed wayyyy back in the day).

What year is that from ? I have very little to no stuff from his Gonzaga days. That would be neat if from same era.

Ezag
06-28-2016, 01:32 PM
A job.... in IT

gonzagafan62
06-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Mine: Ronny Turiaf.

He is a role model that has persistently not only been great to walk ons (coming back for senior year) and battling adversity off the court with his health problems. Always a fighter and if Mark Few wasn't my Mr. Spokane Turiaf would be

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-28-2016, 06:04 PM
Spent my first year out of college, ,'92-'93, in the Jesuit Volunteer Corps in Spokane working at the House of Charity. Lived on Sinto & Addison in big yellow Byrd house, played rugby for the Zags, cashed my monthly $80 stipend check from Catholic Charities at Jack & Dan's.

Love this thread. Great GUBoard chemistry builder!

RenoZag
06-28-2016, 07:16 PM
I was found as an infant in a reed basket floating in the calm waters near some willows in the old millpond now called Lake Arthur. The kids that found me turned me over to the nuns at St Josephs Childrens Home and they raised me through my teenage years. . .

You win.

tyra
06-29-2016, 05:14 AM
I married "up" -- Mrs. Tyra, Class of '72. Father-in-law was active on the school's foundation board. One time, when visiting them in Spokane, he offers us his tickets to the game that night. Game. Set. Match.

Club Prez
07-07-2016, 11:42 AM
My 1968 Ford Cortina station wagon - loaded with all my stuff.

Coach Crazy
07-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Never went to Gonzaga. And future little Crazy's may never, either. But as a kid in Spokane, I remember seeing Gonzaga on the news about facing Maryland(or having faced, one or both...long time ago). Then, in '99...the magic happened. We left Spokane (and I, Shadle Park by default...sadly) in late '98 for Western Washington, but were not done fixing up the house for it to be sold (so, we hadn't left Spokane permanently). I was actually listening to part of the Zags/Stanford game on the radio, as we were out taking care of house related stuff.

Being a Gonzaga fan is like catching a shooting star with a Kerr jar, while riding a lightning a bolt...in a thunderstorm. Unlikely, fortunate, and unforgettable. A spectrum of emotions and brilliant show, to boot.

btzag
07-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Loved the 'closed' campus feel.
Couple hours from home but not too far away.
Really good academic school to further my education.
Great scholarship/financial aid package.
Had a great weekend visit during the annual HS weekend that cemented the deal.
Couldn't have asked for a better college experience my 4 years at GU!

dan71w
07-07-2016, 04:05 PM
a girl who is now my wife, and now i am bald :enraged:
wut happened?

Sarenyon
07-08-2016, 02:19 AM
GU offered the best extra benefits to the ROTC scholarship I had... it was a no brainer. Best choice ever. 20 years after graduation and I'm still in the Army. I didn't see that coming, but its worked out very well.

TexasZagFan
07-08-2016, 05:47 AM
GU offered the best extra benefits to the ROTC scholarship I had... it was a no brainer. Best choice ever. 20 years after graduation and I'm still in the Army. I didn't see that coming, but its worked out very well.

Today is a day of celebration for me: my daughter's 29th birthday, and the 40th anniversary of my going on active duty. And next month, I'll be accruing 8 hours leave with every pay period. :cheers:

Back in our day, we referred to ourselves as "West Point West". We never had a spring break like normal students, thanks to 4 days at Fort Lewis. I hear they still go there every year. At the SMU game last year, I had the chance to compare notes with alums that were in your generation, to include one of Colonel Duffy's sons. We only had about 20 in our commissioning class.

MTZag03
07-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Getting a scholarship really helped. Plus I'd always wanted to go there. Finally my decision period was spring of 99. Enough said about that.

kitzbuel
07-08-2016, 08:47 AM

Ditto. The ROTC program is a tremendous recruiting tool for the University. It has cranked out a lot of top Army officers over the years. I was able to server under two different General Officer GU grads over my time; Major General Dennis Hardy and Major General Richard Keller. Both of them loved linking up with GU grads and reminiscing about Spokane and the school.

gu03alum
07-08-2016, 08:48 AM
I went to high school about a mile from Gonzaga. While playing basketball there we would sometimes get to practice at Gonzaga's gym. I remember one time I saw Matt Santangelo working hard on the other side of the gym. That was really cool. The team was also given tickets to games a couple of times when the students were on break. That's when my love of the school started to build. I was always a UW fan. Growing up my dad would have every tv in the house tuned to the UW football games on silent while the radio blasted the play by play throughout the house. I had always intended to go to UW. During my senior year we went to a UW Gonzaga game in the Spokane Arena with the intention of rooting for UW. I think we both came away from that game with a great appreciation for Gonzaga. I applied to Gonzaga that year and got a favorable financial aid estimate. I had started applying to UW, but they wanted me to write two stupid essays. Between senioritis and my hate for writing pointless essays I never finished my application. I'm glad I chose Gonzaga. I liked it so much I got a job there and went back for my Master's degree.

hockeyzag
07-08-2016, 08:55 AM
My father really wanted me to attend GU. I visited as a junior in high school and thought it was the lamest place on earth, it just didn't seem like a school with a socially thriving student body. I graduated high school with a 2.9 GPA, I wouldn't have been accepted anyway.

I attended UNLV as a freshman and then about halfway through my sophomore year my father (who had ALS) asked me to be his full-time caretaker in Spokane. I moved up to live with him and he convinced me to take one math class spring semester at Gonzaga (2002) with the idea that the credits would transfer back to UNLV. There is a name for this kind of student but I forget what it is. In the fall I took two classes, and by proving that I could get respectable grades in actual Gonzaga classes somehow I was fully accepted at Gonzaga that next spring. I graduated in 2006.

I guess you could say I sort of slipped in the back door.

TexasZagFan
07-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Ditto. The ROTC program is a tremendous recruiting tool for the University. It has cranked out a lot of top Army officers over the years. I was able to server under two different General Officer GU grads over my time; Major General Dennis Hardy and Major General Richard Keller. Both of them loved linking up with GU grads and reminiscing about Spokane and the school.

MG (Ret) Jason Kamiya was our cadet battalion commander. Our class did the school proud: the several that did 20+ years active duty were mostly bird colonels, at least a third of our class made it through Ranger School, and over half earned their jump wings. I was happy to be ranked in the middle of the class.