PDA

View Full Version : We should have held out for Andrew White

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2016, 06:24 PM
Holy Cow, this guy is exactly what we needed.

Nebraska's 2nd leading scorer will transfer for his senior year (immediately eligible). He was a 4-star recruit that averaged 16.6 ppg and 5.9 rpg last year after spending two seasons at Kansas. 6'7, 216.

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2016, 06:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16531160/andrew-white-iii-transfer-nebraska-cornhuskers

Man, is there any way we can still get him. He is EXACTLY what we need. UGH

gonzagafan62
06-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Nah, I'll take Mathews over this guy. I believe Mathews is da man. This guy is really awesome, but I doubt he would've come here anyway

raise the zag
06-26-2016, 06:46 PM
Nah, I'll take Mathews over this guy. I believe Mathews is da man. This guy is really awesome, but I doubt he would've come here anyway

+1

Andrew White will be on 3 schools in 3 years.

Yes, he's a 6'7" wing who can shoot, BUT he's had one good season. Didn't play while at KU.

Mathews is also a '4* recruit' who has been consistent for 3 seasons. Has double the assists, half the fouls, and even less TO. Scoring nearly identical, yet JM has proven himself since he was a freshman.

We did just fine, if not better. I assure you we got the better student athlete.

Andrew White will probably be great wherever he ends up, yet we have added a terrific talent as well.

Interesting that Goodman, Bilas, Seth Davis, Andy Katz, Rothstein have all raved over Mathews, yet Andrew White has been mentioned in passing…kinda telling…

Either way, I'm happy with our guy.

zagbeliever
06-26-2016, 07:19 PM
+1

Yes, he's a 6'7" wing who can shoot, BUT he's had one good season. Didn't play while at KU.

Mathews is also a '4* recruit' who has been consistent for 3 seasons. Has double the assists, half the fouls, and even less TO. Scoring nearly identical, yet JM has proven himself since he was a freshman.

We did just fine, if not better. I assure you we got the better student athlete.

Andrew White will probably be great wherever he ends up, yet we have added a terrific talent as well.

Interesting that Goodman, Bilas, Seth Davis, Andy Katz, Rothstein have all raved over Mathews, yet Andrew White has been mentioned in passing…kinda telling…

:clap:

hondo
06-26-2016, 07:54 PM
Ya, I should have held out for Raquel Welch.

amaronizag
06-26-2016, 07:56 PM
How can White transfer for his senior year and be eligible immediately? Was he redshirting last year?? I don't get it.

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2016, 08:05 PM
Scoring nearly identical? 17ppg is the same as 14 ppg??? One is a 6'7 wing that fits exactly what we need and the other is a 6'2 sg. Matthews is awesome but you don't need to trash the other guy to boost your own
+1

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2016, 08:06 PM

You're dating yourself there Hondo. I bet half of the board doesn't even know who she is. LOL

Qhall43
06-26-2016, 08:20 PM
I don't think his personal aspirations fit into what the Zags are building next year. Clearly very talented but next year's team is deep and it sounds like he wants to be the centerpiece. Pass.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-family-pressure-not-unusual-but-andrew-white-is-leaving/article_6a64ba92-3bd4-11e6-b8bc-a324f88488e7.html?mode=jqm

Zagdawg
06-26-2016, 08:51 PM
One million Years BC as a young lad was very nice.

gonzagafan62
06-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Scoring nearly identical? 17ppg is the same as 14 ppg??? One is a 6'7 wing that fits exactly what we need and the other is a 6'2 sg. Matthews is awesome but you don't need to trash the other guy to boost your own

Chill. This year will most likely be a great team with a three guard lineup and it will be a fun year with lots of passing, blocks and draining three point shots. Enjoy it.

Our wing (and I like barbecue hot wings for the record) is coming next year. 6'6 215lb Kispert will be here before you know it, and will be an awesome peice in our cupboard.

zagamatic
06-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Call it a hunch, but I just have this feeling that we're going to be fine at the 3 this year and what we are actually going to need is exactly what Matthews brings.

ZagaZags
06-26-2016, 09:43 PM

You're dating yourself there Hondo. I bet half of the board doesn't even know who she is. LOL

She invented grape jelly. ;)

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140302061018/disney/images/thumb/c/cf/Welchs_logo.jpg/250px-Welchs_logo.jpg

Coach Crazy
06-26-2016, 10:05 PM
I personally don't care about what kind of student athlete they are. I want the best player we can get.

Having said that, there was likely no way to know this was going to happen, and we did a better job than getting Rodney Pryor.

Even if Andrew ends up being the better player and makes it to the NBA, you're better off with something that you can get, and something that also fills a need.

Jordan Mathews does that. We never missed out on Andrew White if he was an unknown and we were not guaranteed to be on his list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDABE80
06-26-2016, 10:23 PM
We have a kid who's connected to us. He's a great guy. Lucky to have him and his 3 pt shooting. He's a great fit. He'll be a better shooting Wesley. Guy like him and that's a very big deal.

Bogozags
06-27-2016, 03:36 AM

:)

LeightonZag
06-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Hey guys I'd like to dispel some of the notions that this guy would be a perfect fit for the Zags. I'm from Nebraska so the Huskers are basically my Zags Jr. While White is a nice shooter, he is not the piece the Zags need. I went to nearly every Husker game last season and have played several pickup games with him and there are some very serious flaws with his game. He is EXTREMELY robotic in his movements and motion. He has no wiggle whatsoever. He is a very poor dribbler. I mean very poor. He is an absolute non factor in the pick and roll game aside from just pulling it from deep. He finishes poor around the rim. He is also not as good as a rebounder as the stats may show. Oftentimes White would play 4 or even 5 because of Nebraska's lack of a big guy(don't even get me started). He is a subpar passer who was basically asked to fire away whenever he got daylight. Couple that with being just an average defender and you have a very average player who because of his situation put up some decently gaudy numbers. Hard pass, I'll take Matthews every day that ends in a Y.

Coach Crazy
06-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Hey guys I'd like to dispel some of the notions that this guy would be a perfect fit for the Zags. I'm from Nebraska so the Huskers are basically my Zags Jr. While White is a nice shooter, he is not the piece the Zags need. I went to nearly every Husker game last season and have played several pickup games with him and there are some very serious flaws with his game. He is EXTREMELY robotic in his movements and motion. He has no wiggle whatsoever. He is a very poor dribbler. I mean very poor. He is an absolute non factor in the pick and roll game aside from just pulling it from deep. He finishes poor around the rim. He is also not as good as a rebounder as the stats may show. Oftentimes White would play 4 or even 5 because of Nebraska's lack of a big guy(don't even get me started). He is a subpar passer who was basically asked to fire away whenever he got daylight. Couple that with being just an average defender and you have a very average player who because of his situation put up some decently gaudy numbers. Hard pass, I'll take Matthews every day that ends in a Y.

Well, that settles that.

gonzagafan62
06-27-2016, 07:30 AM
I personally don't care about what kind of student athlete they are. I want the best player we can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recipe for disaster right there

GoZags
06-27-2016, 07:35 AM

Thank you. + a million

It's my belief that Gonzaga Men's Basketball tried selling it's soul once (and it didn't end well).

Jordan Mathews will have a chance to go into the annals as one of the alltime "classic" Zags. And I'm looking forward to it.

Coach Crazy
06-27-2016, 07:37 AM

No, it's not. Saying that there is always a correlation between a student's grades/commitment to his education and how much he will give to his team on the court/how he will represent the program is adhering to a profiling that is tragically mischaracterizing. If they are just there to play ball, I am fine with that. Just keep your grades at a level that allows you to play.

kitzbuel
06-27-2016, 07:49 AM
No, it's not. Saying that there is always a correlation between a student's grades/commitment to his education and how much he will give to his team on the court/how he will represent the program is adhering to a profiling that is tragically mischaracterizing. If they are just there to play ball, I am fine with that. Just keep your grades at a level that allows you to play.

Gonzaga has generally had a tradition of student excellence on our basketball team. Sabonis, Kelly Olynyk, Blake Stepp, Dan Dickau are examples of our Academic All Americans who have had or or having considerable professional success. This level of academic success looks to be continued in the future with the recruits we have coming.

Yes, there have been exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.

LongIslandZagFan
06-27-2016, 08:05 AM
JMHO... this thread is pretty silly.

Zagdawg
06-27-2016, 08:07 AM
Off season threads......can we combine this one with the "we should have saved a scholly for Lebron thread"

SanDiegoZag
06-27-2016, 08:09 AM

Actual analysis??? Now that is just silly.

I'm pretty sure this debate was settled when we learned that 17.5PPG is greater than 14.5PPG..........

bartruff1
06-27-2016, 08:11 AM

Yup....in any case, what would prevent him from coming here if he wanted to the team and staff wanted him here ?

Coach Crazy
06-27-2016, 08:12 AM
Gonzaga has generally had a tradition of student excellence on our basketball team. Sabonis, Kelly Olynyk, Blake Stepp, Dan Dickau are examples of our Academic All Americans who have had or or having considerable professional success. This level of academic success looks to be continued in the future with the recruits we have coming.

Yes, there have been exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.

We're not debating/discussing what you prefer. That is fine. You are free to want and expect that. I am saying that there is no true correlation to how a person is in character (or performs on the court) and how well they do in school. This is a discussion for another thread, but it's definitely one that needs to be had.

bartruff1
06-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Go debate with Mark....I suspect he has a different opinion

kitzbuel
06-27-2016, 08:22 AM
We're not debating/discussing what you prefer. That is fine. You are free to want and expect that. I am saying that there is no true correlation to how a person is in character (or performs on the court) and how well they do in school. This is a discussion for another thread, but it's definitely one that needs to be had.

I didn't say I prefer, I said Gonzaga has a tradition that it looks to continue. That tradition and philosophy have been integral to the foundation of Gonzaga basketball to date.

Now, I will say that I like that tradition and I hope they continue it - that there is my opinion.

Coach Crazy
06-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Go debate with Mark....I suspect he has a different opinion

His opinion is immaterial. It is incredibly problematic to be so general about a person to insinuate that their ability to have character, to represent a university, to be intelligent, to progress as a human, and be a successful athlete on the court at GU is defined by a grade point average. I don't care about Mark's or anyone's opinion, for that matter. I care about the truth. It's disappointing to see what I consider to be a lack of critical thinking, here. We're all entitled to our opinion, but this type of thinking has the ability to lead to some pretty condescending thinking (and potentially worse). We need to be very careful about the ideas we espouse.

vandalzag
06-27-2016, 08:24 AM

This thread would need a major upgrade to get to the silly stage

Coach Crazy
06-27-2016, 08:25 AM
But back to the original topic. Thanks for the analysis on White. Hopefully we can just be ok with the fact that we have Jordan Mathews. The kid is going to be a huge asset here.

LongIslandZagFan
06-27-2016, 08:25 AM
This thread would need a major upgrade to get to the silly stage

:lmao:

MDABE80
06-27-2016, 08:45 AM

Go get some coffee and wake up. Too early for you to begin a fuss.

bartruff1
06-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Gonzaga is like Lake Wobegon...." where all the children are above average ".