PDA

View Full Version : Worst College Coach

hegotit!
06-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Romar taking some heat from Colin Cowherd today. How does he keep his job?

https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/746443499575246848

MDABE80
06-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Any broadcast to listen to??

Zagdawg
06-24-2016, 01:04 PM
It is linked in the tweet above-- pretty much what most of us has said here -- he can recruit-- but can't coach.

7 NBA guys in the last 5 years --including 2 1st rounders this year and still can't even get into the dance and many years doesn't even make the NIT.

Mantua
06-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Any broadcast to listen to??

https://amp.twimg.com/v/f540b240-f9b5-43e3-8d36-7b2d9d9b60a4

LongIslandZagFan
06-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Nailed it.

MDABE80
06-24-2016, 01:29 PM
WOW! Now this will be a millstone around his neck. It'll become the "rap". Sad to see this. But these fancy recruits should look East...I can't tell how these kids would do in a conservative environment. Either way though., this is bad for Romar and UW. I think we've know this for 10 years. EVen when the teams got into the NCAA tournament, the coaching was just weak. They sure talk a lot though.

Maybe Go Zags will tell us what their board is saying. Tough verdict though.

ZagNative
06-24-2016, 01:30 PM
That was fun. Thanks for posting!

kitzbuel
06-24-2016, 01:34 PM

By hiring Chris Peterson

raise the zag
06-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Finally!

We've been saying this since mid-2000's.

Proof is in the pudding.

please PLEASE play this video for Seattle recruits we are interested in...

gonzagafan62
06-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Finally!

We've been saying this since mid-2000's.

Proof is in the pudding.

please PLEASE play this video for Seattle recruits we are interested in...

Just playing devils advocate here, not criticizing what you're saying because from a fan standpoint it makes sense.

But if you look at it from a kids standpoint, would you rathe go to Washington play on a bad team for one year, then go to NBA with a coach who has a track record of NBA players or Go to Gonzaga where you have to prove yourself even further and just recently is sending more players to NBA?

I would lean GU, but those poor Seattle kids sure are brainwashed.

DixieZag
06-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Maybe it's that he produces "NBA ready" players b/c most teams in the NBA don't use any coaching or system, either? They're in their comfort zone!

hegotit!
06-24-2016, 02:02 PM
You play the game to win, yes or no? I hate losing in anything I do. So not sure how a kid can pick a program that consistently loses and has problems even making the NIT.

CDC84
06-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Romar recruits players that fit w/ what the NBA is looking for in terms of length, athleticism and perceived upside.

The exception of course is Isaiah Thomas. I never, ever, ever, ever, ever thought he would make it in the NBA. Many UW fans felt the same way as well, and if they say they didn't, they're lying.

sittingon50
06-24-2016, 02:19 PM

https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/746443499575246848

Preach it, brother!

maynard g krebs
06-24-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm no Romar supporter, but what Cowherd said is disingenuous in comparing UW's recruiting to the schools he did. The only one of those NBA guys that was a 5 star is Wroten, who was barely top 20 in his class. This year's kids were rated borderline top 50 in their hs classes; they had good offers but not Ky or UNC level. The pictured Isaiah Thomas was a 5-8 three star.

So the fact is that Romar has either done a fantastic job in evaluating undervalued recruits, much as Mark Few did for his first decade and a half, or he has coached up his kids on what the NBA is looking for. It's one or the other.

His players are consistently rated much higher when it's time for the draft than they were coming out of high school. Doesn't mean they play good college team basketball; they don't. But when borderline top 50 hs kids become 1 and dones, it's bs to say after the fact that he just recruited elite talent.

Bash Romar's teams on their inconsistency and decision making, because that stuff's true. But last year's Husky team had a bunch of FR and one returning significant player, and was picked 11th out of 12 teams in the preseason pac 12 poll. By any logical measure, they overachieved last year.

ETA- saw CDC's post after posting; that's it in a nutshell.

Zagdawg
06-24-2016, 02:27 PM
The fact Cowherd is pointing out is he has had a ton of NBA guys and still can't make the dance.

bartruff1
06-24-2016, 02:30 PM
He may be the winningest basketball coach at UW...or at least close to it...

Coach Crazy
06-24-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm no Romar supporter, but what Cowherd said is disingenuous in comparing UW's recruiting to the schools he did. The only one of those NBA guys that was a 5 star is Wroten, who was barely top 20 in his class. This year's kids were rated borderline top 50 in their hs classes; they had good offers but not Ky or UNC level. The pictured Isaiah Thomas was a 5-8 three star.

So the fact is that Romar has either done a fantastic job in evaluating undervalued recruits, much as Mark Few did for his first decade and a half, or he has coached up his kids on what the NBA is looking for. It's one or the other.

His players are consistently rated much higher when it's time for the draft than they were coming out of high school. Doesn't mean they play good college team basketball; they don't. But when borderline top 50 hs kids become 1 and dones, it's bs to say after the fact that he just recruited elite talent.

Bash Romar's teams on their inconsistency and decision making, because that stuff's true. But last year's Husky team had a bunch of FR and one returning significant player, and was picked 11th out of 12 teams in the preseason pac 12 poll. By any logical measure, they overachieved last year.

ETA- saw CDC's post after posting; that's it in a nutshell.

Romar is a pro coach. He's not a college coach. Not his style. I won't deny what he has done in recruiting and developing players, but he has not been able to create the cohesion necessary to win at the level he should be. When you get to the professional level, it is much less about X's and O's and more about ego management.

maynard g krebs
06-24-2016, 02:38 PM
The fact Cowherd is pointing out is he has had a ton of NBA guys and still can't make the dance.

Yes. But I was pointing out that the way he made his case was disingenuous. And it was. The point (again) was that those guys mostly were considered NBA talent after playing at UW, and not before.

maynard g krebs
06-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Romar is a pro coach. He's not a college coach. Not his style. I won't deny what he has done in recruiting and developing players, but he has not been able to create the cohesion necessary to win at the level he should be. When you get to the professional level, it is much less about X's and O's and more about ego management.

Agree he's not a good college coach. Just disagree with the way Cowherd and others make the case against him, acting like he has talent better than what he actually has, after the fact.

MDABE80
06-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Im thinking he recruits NBA ready kids and just hangs onto them for that year. Not really much coaching or honing of skills. Kinda like a babysitter and then they're gone to greener pastures. I don't temember anyone really improving a whole lot while they're at Washington. DOn't gorget Nate RObinson though. Football--->basketball and then the pros. He's about th eonly one. I think he deserves a "where are they now"? look.

Zagdawg
06-24-2016, 02:42 PM
In the last 10 years -- Romar has had qty 8 top 50 recruiting classes (4/5 top 25 classes)--i.e. plenty of talent that he should be at least be in the top half of the Pac12 and dancing more years than not.

I think he has 2 more top 50 classes coming up-- maybe more if he can find any more fathers who might want to "coach" college basketball and have 5 star kids getting ready to commit.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2016, 02:50 PM
On a whole nother level, several perhaps, isn't Crookapari the same kind of underachiever? All those lottery kids and only one NC. No one is basting that POS, most ESPN heads love the creep, especially Kornheiser and Wilbon.

Coach Crazy
06-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Agree he's not a good college coach. Just disagree with the way Cowherd and others make the case against him, acting like he has talent better than what he actually has, after the fact.

Yeah, there is also a difference between what a kid does on the court and what his potential is believed to be, with regard to why he is drafted. For instance, Dragan Bender was drafted after putting up like 5-ish points a game in Israel. So, not great. Not an NBA player, yet, necessarily.

So, you are correct, he hasn't had the same level of talent, incoming, as Kentucky. And the reality with Washington, is that they may just nosedive if they were to fire Romar and try to go with a coach that doesn't get as much talent, but coaches better. Especially, with the raised recruiting effort in the Seattle area for Gonzaga. You may just get a Daejon Davis just from Washington bringing in someone new.

Coach Crazy
06-24-2016, 03:02 PM
On a whole nother level, several perhaps, isn't Crookapari the same kind of underachiever? All those lottery kids and only one NC. No one is basting that POS, most ESPN heads love the creep, especially Kornheiser and Wilbon.

Because he has a ring and is putting kids in the lottery and first round. And he embraces a very progressing idea of coaching and recruiting. Shady? Sure. But he knows basketball.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Because he has a ring and is putting kids in the lottery and first round. And he embraces a very progressing idea of coaching and recruiting. Shady? Sure. But he knows basketball.

I stressed he's at another level. He gets five stars, top 10 kids and you say he develops them? Better than Romar develops his 3 and 4 stars? I see more light there than not, but agree, a whole lot of shade. And his arrogance is utterly despicable. Romar always seem pretty even keel. I would take Ro as a person in a heartbeat.

bartruff1
06-24-2016, 03:34 PM

Truth

Coach Crazy
06-24-2016, 03:37 PM
I stressed he's at another level. He gets five stars, top 10 kids and you say he develops them? Better than Romar develops his 3 and 4 stars? I see more light there than not, but agree, a whole lot of shade. And his arrogance is utterly despicable. Romar always seem pretty even keel. I would take Ro as a person in a heartbeat.

I'm saying that's why he isn't getting lambasted. And because at the rate he is going, he is going to end up with a handful of rings. Does Romar develop talent better? Sure. But we're also talking about players that need it more to get to that level. I think Coach Cal is dishonest, but I can't say he isn't a good coach. If he had played things honest, would he be at Kentucky with this many 5-star players? No. Most assuredly not. But he's still a good coach. And he is a smart individual.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2016, 03:54 PM
I'm saying that's why he isn't getting lambasted. And because at the rate he is going, he is going to end up with a handful of rings. Does Romar develop talent better? Sure. But we're also talking about players that need it more to get to that level. I think Coach Cal is dishonest, but I can't say he isn't a good coach. If he had played things honest, would he be at Kentucky with this many 5-star players? No. Most assuredly not. But he's still a good coach. And he is a smart individual.

Handful of rings? That's very, very optimistic. I think his palpable dishonesty trumps whatever coaching acumen he may have. He's a weasel. I'm a Ricky P fan, full disclosure, he coached my son at five star, and for Cal with his resume to say those things about the Ville situation is repellent.

vandalzag
06-24-2016, 04:06 PM

What ESPN did with Coach Cal on draft day was terrible. I liked what Le Batard had to say:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/06/23/espns-dan-le-batard-rips-espn-for-having-john-calipari-on-all-day-long/

ESPN is all about the dollars and that is why nothing will be said about a school like UK and Cal. That combo moves the needle too much and that equals money. As far as Cowherd goes I personally think he is a hack who takes a position based only what will generate interests. Considering him as anything more than a carnival barker. Romar has developed players. Saying he hasn't is completely wrong. What has failed to do while courting the higher rated kids is build either program that could sustain and support the one and one type players (3-4 year players, roll players,etc..) or do what Cal does and just reload every year.

DixieZag
06-24-2016, 06:54 PM
What ESPN did with Coach Cal on draft day was terrible. I liked what Le Batard had to say:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/06/23/espns-dan-le-batard-rips-espn-for-having-john-calipari-on-all-day-long/

ESPN is all about the dollars and that is why nothing will be said about a school like UK and Cal. That combo moves the needle too much and that equals money. As far as Cowherd goes I personally think he is a hack who takes a position based only what will generate interests. Considering him as anything more than a carnival barker. Romar has developed players. Saying he hasn't is completely wrong. What has failed to do while courting the higher rated kids is build either program that could sustain and support the one and one type players (3-4 year players, roll players,etc..) or do what Cal does and just reload every year.

Nailed it.

He knows some college football, but everything else is pretty well said to just generate passion, anger, gratitude, controversy. Plus, he's an EWU guy, it's in his genes to harbor some kind of disdain for the UW.

MileHigh
06-24-2016, 06:57 PM
players b/c most teams in the NBA don't use any coaching or system, either? !

If you really believe NBA teams don't have systems or do any coaching then I really don't know what to tell you. The defensive rotation schemes that NBA teams are much more complex than anything 90% of the college teams even attempt to teach. Offensively, most NBA schemes are designed to create mis matches that force teams to switch or double team the ball. There are also a few teams in the NBA that run motion offenses or offenses with multiple screens (Boston,Golden State, San Antonio) as well. Generally speaking, the offensive stuff colleges run simply won't work in the NBA because of the athleticism of the defenders and the ability of the bigs to protect the rim. The use of analytics and advance scouting of opponents is also beyond what most college staffs do

I know a few NBA assistants and those guys work their tails off

GrizZAG
06-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Cowherd and his rants about the Zags being over rated because of the weak conference and his statements that the Zags would be a .500 team in any big conference get really old. I am not a fan of his rants...blah blah blah. He loves the east.

Birddog
06-24-2016, 07:23 PM
If you really believe NBA teams don't have systems or do any coaching then I really don't know what to tell you. The defensive rotation schemes that NBA teams are much more complex than anything 90% of the college teams even attempt to teach. Offensively, most NBA schemes are designed to create mis matches that force teams to switch or double team the ball. There are also a few teams in the NBA that run motion offenses or offenses with multiple screens (Boston,Golden State, San Antonio) as well. Generally speaking, the offensive stuff colleges run simply won't work in the NBA because of the athleticism of the defenders and the ability of the bigs to protect the rim. The use of analytics and advance scouting of opponents is also beyond what most college staffs do

Nailed it and it needed to be said. Way too many people dis the NBA and the coaching and they're just plain wrong.

coolhandzag
06-24-2016, 07:30 PM
I don't get it. Romar is Romar be it good, bad or indifferent. I hope UW signs him up for a 20 year extension.

bartruff1
06-24-2016, 08:09 PM
I don't get it. Romar is Romar be it good, bad or indifferent. I hope UW signs him up for a 20 year extension.

As I recall, he was given a 10 year contract at 1.7 million or so plus bonuses good till 2020....

They probably couldn't afford to fire him if they wanted to and I don't believe they do... he wants to retire there in his early or mid 60s...

Goshzagit
06-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Romar is one of the best recruiters in NCAA history.

No refuting that…but his coaching ability is questionable at best.

Even his NBA "talents" aren't known for their bball IQ/acumen until many years later.

Meanwhile, Gonzaga prospects are heralded for their work ethic, awareness, IQ, and skill.

DixieZag
06-24-2016, 09:03 PM

I am not pretending to be an NBA expert, and you did note what most consider the outliers (in a good way, San Antonio - which we've actually heard compared to the Zags by some talking head), Boston etc. Your entire point was largely consistent with mine - the offensive stuff colleges run isn't run the NBA and Romar, too, doesn't seem to run much offensive stuff colleges do - which was really my only point, a light hearted jab at Romar, not an indictment of the NBA as a whole.

I can't stand the NBA anyway, so I defer to near anyone wanting to correct me on the NBA.

Bogozags
06-25-2016, 03:12 AM
Just playing devils advocate here, not criticizing what you're saying because from a fan standpoint it makes sense.

But if you look at it from a kids standpoint, would you rathe go to Washington play on a bad team for one year, then go to NBA with a coach who has a track record of NBA players or Go to Gonzaga where you have to prove yourself even further and just recently is sending more players to NBA?

I would lean GU, but those poor Seattle kids sure are brainwashed.

I believe that most inner city kids, coming from lower or upper lower economic status, would chose to go to UW. Why? Because they see a way out and the possibility to fulfill their dreams of playing in the NBA.

GU has had recent success having their "bigs" make it in the NBA with four (to include SD and KW this year) of the past six front court players making it in the NBA. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe we have had a total of 10 GU players make it in the NBA, since John Stockton in 1985.

These 5* kids all believe they are future NBA players...they are told this growing up...heck, there have been comments made about Silas being the best NBA prospect to play at GU and we are already touting Zack as a one and done!

An education is important but UW is a good academic school too so a degree from that school is an achievement and nothing to look down upon...if you're a Top 50 back court player and have aspirations to play in the NBA, then UW might well be the better choice to see your dreams come to fruition...IMO

23dpg
06-25-2016, 06:56 AM
Seattle Times weighs in. At some point being a good guy who can recruit just isn't enough.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/lorenzo-romars-recruiting-skills-are-top-notch-but-huskies-coach-hasnt-yielded-any-results/

bballbeachbum
06-25-2016, 07:41 AM
interesting discussion, salient points on both sides of the Romar analysis. thanks. used to go watch him play in Oakland for the Warriors with Purvis and co. Would just show up on game day, pay something like $10-15 for a lousy ticket, then slink down courtside and watch the action. the good ol days.......

maynard g krebs
06-25-2016, 12:06 PM
I believe that most inner city kids, coming from lower or upper lower economic status, would chose to go to UW. Why? Because they see a way out and the possibility to fulfill their dreams of playing in the NBA.

if you're a Top 50 back court player and have aspirations to play in the NBA, then UW might well be the better choice to see your dreams come to fruition...IMO

I was thinking about Murray as a perfect case in point here. Recruited by the Zags, and would have been outstanding at GU as well, but no way a 1 and done first rounder. Would have started out on the bench, limited minutes as a freshman, taught to play within the structure, run opportunistically, feed the post, swing the ball around the perimeter etc etc. Role player on a 2nd weekend of tourney team as a fr, probably 3 years in college.

At UW he was able to show his ability to get to the rim at will, and his lack of development as a shooter was made secondary to his tantalizing ability to make plays in the open court and finish at the rim.

Murray came from a poor family. Now he's a millionaire at 19 or 20. And it's an open question as to how many college coaches would have made that happen for him.

spike_jr
06-25-2016, 12:14 PM
As I recall, he was given a 10 year contract at 1.7 million or so plus bonuses good till 2020....

They probably couldn't afford to fire him if they wanted to and I don't believe they do... he wants to retire there in his early or mid 60s...

Oh Bart, make no mistake. Paying him off at 1.7 million x 3-4 years is chump change for that athletic dept and their boosters. If/When they want him gone, he will be gone.

From people inside the athletic department, I hear he is actually a heck of a nice guy and good with the kids. As basketball is secondary to football, maybe that is just good enough for those with the power.

bartruff1
06-25-2016, 01:51 PM
I have a tough time getting my head around 7 or 8 million dollars as chump change....I have to work a long time to make that kind of money !!!

I don't know Romar but I have been around him enough to know that he is a very intelligent , articulate and gracious person....a nice guy...

Now obviously he suffers in comparison to Few (well who doesn't)...... but compared to his peers in the Pac whatever it is...he doesn't look so bad.

Zagceo
06-25-2016, 02:08 PM
I was thinking about Murray as a perfect case in point here. Recruited by the Zags, and would have been outstanding at GU as well, but no way a 1 and done first rounder. Would have started out on the bench, limited minutes as a freshman, taught to play within the structure, run opportunistically, feed the post, swing the ball around the perimeter etc etc. Role player on a 2nd weekend of tourney team as a fr, probably 3 years in college.

At UW he was able to show his ability to get to the rim at will, and his lack of development as a shooter was made secondary to his tantalizing ability to make plays in the open court and finish at the rim.

Murray came from a poor family. Now he's a millionaire at 19 or 20. And it's an open question as to how many college coaches would have made that happen for him.

This is the best description of how and why kids choose Romar.

zagfan24
06-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Cowherd and his rants about the Zags being over rated because of the weak conference and his statements that the Zags would be a .500 team in any big conference get really old. I am not a fan of his rants...blah blah blah. He loves the east.

I don't agree with him totally re: Romar but I listen to Cowherd frequently and that doesn't seem accurate to me. He's a huge fan of Few and is often quite complimentary of zags. Cowherd grew up in WA and now lives in LA so he's not nearly as east coast centric as most

MDABE80
06-25-2016, 05:56 PM

It's perfect Maynard. Undeveloped kid who can jump and do a few flashy things. SO he got some money. I'd wager his career will be short. Why? Because he wasn't developed. He'll do a few things well and that's about it. Whereas if he was at GU, likely he'd have skill developed ...a whole variety of skills. I dunno. A quick few million.......and a 19 yr old.

MDABE80
06-25-2016, 06:08 PM
"For the third year in a row, the athletic department’s revenue is projected to exceed $100 million. In 2014-15, UW generated $107.2 million in athletic department revenue, according to preliminary records. Washington took in about $35 million in distributions from the Pac-12 and the NCAA, much of that from the conference’s television rights. UW reported expenses of $87.7 million and paid $19.5 million in debt services, most of that to help pay off Husky Stadium.

Getting creative

While UW’s financial outlook has improved greatly since Woodward took over in 2008, challenges remain.

The athletic department is expected to receive $1.9 million in subsidies from the general university fund, which Woodward says is the lowest subsidy of any athletic department in the Pac-12. There’s no promise the athletic department will even get that much after this year, Sasaki said.

A nationwide trend that will continue to have an affect on UW’s budget is decreasing ticket sales. The Pac-12’s massive, 12-year, $3 billion broadcasting deal with ESPN and FOX from 2011 has presented a paradox for UW and its counterparts: While the new TV money has helped schools invest heavily in facilities and big-name coaches, the improved home experience — coupled with UW’s modest success in football and basketball — has kept more and more fans from attending games in person.

New Husky Stadium, with a capacity of 70,138, drew an average of 64,508 fans for seven home games in 2014. The Huskies didn’t have a single sellout last year, and season-ticket sales are down. Earlier this month, UW reported 39,357 season-tickets sold (not counting students), compared to about 44,000 in mid-August last year.

Woodward says the department is thinking “outside the box” to improve the experience for fans. His favorite example is the Phoenix Open golf tournament, which draws the largest crowds on the PGA Tour in part because it also runs a fashion show as part of the tournament. " FROM SEAATTLE TIMES

AND this is just the Department. Doesn't include other sources of income. Probably GoZags and Angelo know more a bout this. UW's drowning in money. $2 million to Romar is not much to these guys at UW. I had a chance to talk with some of the WSU Athletics Dept folks today at Hoopfest.. They don't make money. Limited budget. Lost their only hope of basketball future over a few million in improvements when Bennett left. As it turns out, Tony wasn't asking for a raise. He was asking for improvements.....all this after a Swt 16.

But they do pay that football coach millions for getting them into bowl game.... not even a top tier bowl game.
My point is that there's 100's of millions in these big time Athletic Depts and Universities. GU's runs a tight ship. The return on investment at GU is amazing.

maynard g krebs
06-25-2016, 10:31 PM
It's perfect Maynard. Undeveloped kid who can jump and do a few flashy things. SO he got some money. I'd wager his career will be short. Why? Because he wasn't developed. He'll do a few things well and that's about it. Whereas if he was at GU, likely he'd have skill developed ...a whole variety of skills. I dunno. A quick few million.......and a 19 yr old.

I think he's got really good instincts for the game, creative in the open court and a very good passer. Serious about working on his game from what I've heard and read. Terrific rebounder from the guard spot, and a natural passer. If his shooting improves, and it should, he could be good for a long time. Will be interesting to follow. I wish him well.

Probably in the D league at first.

GrizZAG
06-26-2016, 01:06 PM
I don't agree with him totally re: Romar but I listen to Cowherd frequently and that doesn't seem accurate to me. He's a huge fan of Few and is often quite complimentary of zags. Cowherd grew up in WA and now lives in LA so he's not nearly as east coast centric as most

Listened to him for years and he sings that song on a regular basis. It got to me...obviously.

ZagNative
06-26-2016, 01:32 PM
I posted a link to a Cowherd interview of Mark Few before the game vs. Utah, and it was just a gem. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56695-Few-on-the-Colin-Cowherd-Podcast&p=1195350#post1195350

Hard for me to believe he regularly bashes the Zags ....

SLOZag
06-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Hard for me to believe he regularly bashes the Zags ....

That interview you linked to presented about the most eloquent reply to a prior post that I've ever seen on this Board. Excellent job of supporting your opinion!