PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Mathews Commits to GU

MDABE80
06-24-2016, 01:51 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/jun/23/cal-transfer-jordan-mathews-commits-to-gonzaga/ :clap:

ZagaZags
06-24-2016, 02:08 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/jun/23/cal-transfer-jordan-mathews-commits-to-gonzaga/ :clap:

He joins a GU backcourt that includes Josh Perkins, Nigel Williams-Goss and Silas Melson.

http://likegif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/friendsjoey-tribbianimatt-leblancshock.gif

Great person and I will miss him. #ClassAct. Best of luck to Bryan Alberts.

zagsfanforlife
06-24-2016, 03:40 AM
http://likegif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/friendsjoey-tribbianimatt-leblancshock.gif

Great person and I will miss him. #ClassAct. Best of luck to Bryan Alberts.

That is reading a ton into ONE sentence. I read it more as dang our backcourt is good, we have Josh, NWG, Mathews and Melson. No offense to Brian, but he isnt on the caliber that those guys are yet. He could definitely transfer but i dont think this quote is any indication of that.

Wohooo Mathews! Going to be a fun season!

Ekrub
06-24-2016, 05:46 AM
Beautiful. Pieces are coming together. I like this team.

LongIslandZagFan
06-24-2016, 05:48 AM
That is reading a ton into ONE sentence. I read it more as dang our backcourt is good, we have Josh, NWG, Mathews and Melson. No offense to Brian, but he isnt on the caliber that those guys are yet. He could definitely transfer but i dont think this quote is any indication of that.

Wohooo Mathews! Going to be a fun season!

Yeah... Alberts barely got minutes... NWG is expected to and Josh and Silas did... don't read too much into that sentence yet.

zag67
06-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Also do not forget Norvel. If he does not redshirt he will be another in the mix.

DixieZag
06-24-2016, 06:18 AM
Also do not forget Norvel. If he does not redshirt he will be another in the mix.

Norvel is the forgotten wildcard in all this. We've heard he will "not" redshirt. It's possible that he's the type that comes in and is nearly impossible to keep off the floor, in the same way Sabonis was as a frosh behind Shem/Wilt. Can't know, but possible.

Big Welcome to Mathews. Glad he ignored the weather today.

MileHigh
06-24-2016, 06:25 AM
Mathews hooped with the guys up in Spokane and the report is that he can really,really shoot the ball. As good or better than Pangos was their impression.

Zags just got better, but there will be some fallout, which I am sure the coaches anticipated when they accepted Mathews tranfer

Big time college basketball is a business, and at the end of the day it is about winning, and MF and Gonzaga get it better than most.

bartruff1
06-24-2016, 06:29 AM
Beautiful. Pieces are coming together. I like this team.

I guess....this is going to be (another) long off season...

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2016, 06:32 AM
Yeah... Alberts barely got minutes... NWG is expected to and Josh and Silas did... don't read too much into that sentence yet.

Ha. The careful reader will look at this entire sentence. lol

Zagdawg
06-24-2016, 06:38 AM
Great addition to the team!

23dpg
06-24-2016, 06:45 AM
Great news!!!!:000tens:

Zagdawg
06-24-2016, 06:49 AM
Jordan Mathews ‏@JordanMathews22 9h9 hours ago
#ZAGUP

MileHigh
06-24-2016, 06:53 AM
..a couple of tweets from cbssports John Rothstein....sounds about right

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 4h4 hours ago
Early prediction on Gonzaga's 16-17 starting five: Josh Perkins, Nigel Williams-Goss, Jordan Mathews, John Williams, Przemek Karnowski.

Cal transfer Jordan Mathews commits to Gonzaga as expected. There is now a Top-10 caliber team in Spokane.

Reborn
06-24-2016, 06:55 AM
Welcome to Gonzaga Jordan Mathews. I can hardly wait to see you in a Gonzaga uni. The Zags just keep getting better and better. This could be one heck of a year. I can hardly wait to see this team in action. There will be a lot of new pieces so it may be a slow start.

TexasZagFan
06-24-2016, 06:59 AM
Mathews hooped with the guys up in Spokane and the report is that he can really,really shoot the ball. As good or better than Pangos was their impression.

Zags just got better, but there will be some fallout, which I am sure the coaches anticipated when they accepted Mathews tranfer

Big time college basketball is a business, and at the end of the day it is about winning, and MF and Gonzaga get it better than most.

I was always a scrub, got used to riding the pine. It has to be really tough for players like Alberts who were the stars on their HS teams. If Bryan can keep working hard, he'll be a key player his last two years at GU, much like Drainginis and Hart.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2016, 07:29 AM
I was always a scrub, got used to riding the pine. It has to be really tough for players like Alberts who were the stars on their HS teams. If Bryan can keep working hard, he'll be a key player his last two years at GU, much like Drainginis and Hart.

It just will get tougher for him after next season. Go east, young man.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2016, 07:29 AM
..a couple of tweets from cbssports John Rothstein....sounds about right

Early prediction on Gonzaga's 16-17 starting five: Josh Perkins, Nigel Williams-Goss, Jordan Mathews, John Williams, Przemek Karnowski.

Cal transfer Jordan Mathews commits to Gonzaga as expected. There is now a Top-10 caliber team in Spokane.

Whoa. So we're that good we sit seven foot, five star, burger boys? I don't think so.

Maybe Matthews to the two and rotate the points. Williams at the three. Gotta gotta play Kid Kollins.

GoZags
06-24-2016, 07:45 AM
Whoa. So we're that good we sit seven foot, five star, burger boys? I don't think so.

Maybe Matthews to the two and rotate the points. Williams at the three. Gotta gotta play Kid Kollins.

I wouldn't call coming off the bench for 18-24 minutes a night as a true freshman "sitting".

TexasZagFan
06-24-2016, 07:46 AM
It just will get tougher for him after next season. Go east, young man.

You're probably right.

TexasZagFan
06-24-2016, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't call coming off the bench for 18-24 minutes a night as a true freshman "sitting".

200 minutes for the five spots, 80 for the 4-5, 120 for 1-3. I see Karno, JWIII, and Zach splitting those minutes, with big Ryan in the mix when there's foul trouble.

I see Silas returning as the 6th man, but the bulk of the 1-3 minutes will go to JM, Perk, and NWG.

I'm fully expecting to be "enlightened" by those much more in the know...lol.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2016, 07:56 AM
200 minutes for the five spots, 80 for the 4-5, 120 for 1-3. I see Karno, JWIII, and Zach splitting those minutes, with big Ryan in the mix when there's foul trouble.

I see Silas returning as the 6th man, but the bulk of the 1-3 minutes will go to JM, Perk, and NWG.

I'm fully expecting to be "enlightened" by those much more in the know...lol.

Ball, and numbers, don't lie. GoZags is not a accountant evidently.

Coach Crazy
06-24-2016, 07:57 AM

Do you feel like he'll be able to get good enough to outplay Zack, Silas, and Rui this year? And then Zack, Silas (if he is still here), Rui, Killian, Cory, Jesse, and a potential grad transfer and/or Daejon-like pickup next season? I personally don't see it, but I guess anything is possible, at this point.

MileHigh
06-24-2016, 07:58 AM
Williams is more of a post than a face the basket wing. I doubt he plays much at the "3"

titopoet
06-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Karno to Jordan fer 3 will be so over used by announcers that it will become a cliche in the American imagination.

ZagsObserver
06-24-2016, 08:08 AM
With Karno's health and productivity being a significant unknown, I don't think you can count on him. There is a good chance he will come off the bench, at least initially, assuming he can play effectively (which we all hope for)

Mr Vulture
06-24-2016, 08:47 AM
I will say that the health is of more concern than it should be IMO...everything I've heard is that he will be ready from day one of practice as it looks now. I'm sure they are going to limit his minutes (20 per game range) initially, but they probably would be doing that anyway with the depth they have. Seems pretty obvious to me that it's going to be extremely hard for Alberts to see the floor in his remaining years at Gonzaga.

The best thing, as it sits right now with this JM coming in, is that we will be able to redshirt some of the incoming guys. I would imagine that Rui, Larsen, and Tillie all redshirt barring injury. I think that Norvell/Melson will back up the 2/3 spots on the floor and the 4/5 minutes will be backed up by Collins and Edwards (as needed).

Zag365
06-24-2016, 08:55 AM
With Karno's health and productivity being a significant unknown, I don't think you can count on him. There is a good chance he will come off the bench, at least initially, assuming he can play effectively (which we all hope for)

Agree. I haven't read anything on this Board indicating that Shem is recovering enough to play. I don't know where these national talking heads are coming from. We've been cautioned here to realize that back surgery is very serious and maybe career ending (see Tiger Woods). So, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I'm just excited that we have so much depth and competition. I hope we don't lose anybody and the redshirting works out for the players as well as the team.

Let's see how things play out in November before we make too many predictions as to starters. Each year is a new team. We need to see a few games to find out which five work well as starters and who plays well off the bench (think Dranginis and Sabonis, until he had to start when Shem go hurt).

Our upside is huge if coaches and players find schemes that work well for the team. We've certainly got a ton of individual talent. Let's do this!

Coach Crazy
06-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Agree. I haven't read anything on this Board indicating that Shem is recovering enough to play. I don't know where these national talking heads are coming from. We've been cautioned here to realize that back surgery is very serious and maybe career ending (see Tiger Woods). So, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I'm just excited that we have so much depth and competition. I hope we don't lose anybody and the redshirting works out for the players as well as the team.

Let's see how things play out in November before we make too many predictions as to starters. Each year is a new team. We need to see a few games to find out which five work well as starters and who plays well off the bench (think Dranginis and Sabonis, until he had to start when Shem go hurt).

Our upside is huge if coaches and players find schemes that work well for the team. We've certainly got a ton of individual talent. Let's do this!

It's actually been stated regarding his status. He's looking good to go for November to be playing and full recovery around December.

Zag365
06-24-2016, 09:04 AM
It's actually been stated regarding his status. He's looking good to go for November to be playing and full recovery around December.

Good to know. I check GUB regularly but hadn't seen that.

Coach Crazy
06-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Good to know. I check GUB regularly but hadn't seen that.

No worries. How his recovery translates to his play will certainly be up in the air. To that I will agree. But I won't doubt a kid that is recovering and playing for his professional life, on a team that is great for big's, and a program that has a chance to be a Top 10 team. As well, with the new CBA, it's going to be a better financial situation for even the 2nd round picks and UFA's.

ZagsObserver
06-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Injuries of this nature cannot be taken lightly. Ammo's nba injury led, in part, to his collapse and he's played his whole life. Sometimes you lose just a little bit, but that little bit makes all the difference.

BobZag
06-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Wonderful, wonderful.

Reborn
06-24-2016, 10:38 AM
A team is as good as it's weakest link. With the signing of Mathews Gonzaga just got a lot better. If there is a problem with who will be playing next year, it's a really good problem to have.

Go Zags!!!

basketballzag
06-24-2016, 10:59 AM
A team is as good as it's weakest link. With the signing of Mathews Gonzaga just got a lot better. If there is a problem with who will be playing next year, it's a really good problem to have.

Go Zags!!!

The players learned this year that its not who is on the court at the start of the season its who is on the court at the end of the season which determines your fate in the NCAA tourney. Anyone of the the starting five can go down at the flip of a switch and if they don't go down then Depth is the single most important trait a team can have to win a National Championship. This is a team where you have three kids who want to belong to something special (NWG, JWIII, and JM) after giving their heart to someone else first only to find out they made a mistake. Those three will be experienced leaders on the Court with Karno playing the critical role of keeping the team together in a cohesive manner. Karno has two options this year--first is if he is healthy is to make the NBA or two if he is not healthy to learn from the Coaches on how to coach basketball at the next level while earning his master's degree for free.

American Journal of Sports Medicine found college basketball injuries were more common in games versus practices (10.6 game injuries vs. 5.2 practice injuries) per 1000 athletes exposed over a 2 year period. That is close to 16 per 1000 which suffer season-ending injuries in Men's basketball. Depth is a great eliminator of injuries because you aren't stressing your players due to a lack of depth which leads to an even higher injury rate. The rate is actually much higher for starters who get worn down due to fewer bodies on the court.

MDABE80
06-24-2016, 12:01 PM
top 10 talent ( maybe more) but Karno needs to be in the mix. We'll see if that's the case. 3 superior guards ( if Josh keeps his passes on the court) with a capable 4th ( Silas). We'll need 3 great bigs too. If Karno's back is shot or half shot, I dunno id two new faces can carry the load.
Look at it this way: 4 new faces plus Josh. That's a possible issue.
Big time talent but much work to do. Few pulls this off, it'll be his biggest masterpiece although last year was quite an achievement.. Emac was the "gel". He's gone.

It's not so clear cut. WOW! though. Just a wildly talented group. Entertaiment plus! Let's see how they do. January and after will likely tell the tale.....but these kids could gel and run the table

Bogozags
06-24-2016, 01:11 PM
I will say that the health is of more concern than it should be IMO...everything I've heard is that he will be ready from day one of practice as it looks now. I'm sure they are going to limit his minutes (20 per game range) initially, but they probably would be doing that anyway with the depth they have. Seems pretty obvious to me that it's going to be extremely hard for Alberts to see the floor in his remaining years at Gonzaga.

The best thing, as it sits right now with this JM coming in, is that we will be able to redshirt some of the incoming guys. I would imagine that Rui, Larsen, and Tillie all redshirt barring injury. I think that Norvell/Melson will back up the 2/3 spots on the floor and the 4/5 minutes will be backed up by Collins and Edwards (as needed).

This sounds like an excellent 9-man rotation...lots of depth too! I love it when we have four bigs and it sounds like Edwards is doing well this summer...I think we will be surprised by what we see of him on the court this coming season...this team can be "scary good!"

maynard g krebs
06-24-2016, 02:03 PM
( if Josh keeps his passes on the court)

The last 3/4 of the season, 27 games, Josh had 117 assists and 43 turnovers, a ratio of 2.7 to 1, which is outstanding. Significantly better than Stepp or Dickau as seniors (from memory, I ran the numbers a few months ago on them, both turned over the ball at better than 3 a game as seniors; Perkins was around 1.6 to's per game once he got settled after effectively a 2 yr absence from playing. Also a better ratio than Pangos his soph and jr years.)

First month of last season should be understandable, and his subsequent improvement shouldn't be forgotten

DixieZag
06-24-2016, 02:07 PM
top 10 talent ( maybe more) but Karno needs to be in the mix. We'll see if that's the case. 3 superior guards ( if Josh keeps his passes on the court) with a capable 4th ( Silas). We'll need 3 great bigs too. If Karno's back is shot or half shot, I dunno id two new faces can carry the load.
Look at it this way: 4 new faces plus Josh. That's a possible issue.
Big time talent but much work to do. Few pulls this off, it'll be his biggest masterpiece although last year was quite an achievement.. Emac was the "gel". He's gone.

It's not so clear cut. WOW! though. Just a wildly talented group. Entertaiment plus! Let's see how they do. January and after will likely tell the tale.....but these kids could gel and run the table

Mathews steps on the court as a well beyond his years mature senior, a leader wherever he would go, and NWG/JW red-shirted, so there's at least some comfort in them - you're point is legitimate, just tapered by a couple things.

MontanaCoyote
06-24-2016, 03:01 PM
I see Karno keeping all this great talent together.

Mantua
06-24-2016, 04:07 PM
Karno to Jordan fer 3 will be so over used by announcers that it will become a cliche in the American imagination.

:D I like your thinking, Tito!

Reborn
06-24-2016, 05:01 PM
I have a sneaky suspicion that Few is planning on playing four guards more than usual next season. There has to be some reason that he went after Mathews....Mathews is going to be a huge piece to the puzzle this year, and we seem to have more power in our thoroughbreds next season than our work horses. We may see a very different offense next year based on 4 guards. I believe Few will bring Krno around slowly, and with Collins being a Freshman, he too will progress slowly. JW, imo, is ready to play. He would be a senior if he had not red shirted last season, and he has spent a year with the team in practices and at many games on the bench. He is ready to go, and he is solid. A very good low post player, which you need in a four guard offense. The experience, and therefore the power is with the guards. NWG and Mathews are senior (if NwG had not red shirted, and Josh Perkins is a proven outstanding point guard. And Add Silas Melson into the mix or race horses and you have a very good 4 guard offense. I like Melson a lot, and I believe in him. He really progressed a lot last year and I expect him to play a lot. We also know the other 3 guards are all proven D1 players, and are very good. Edward will be a very good back up, and we still have that kid from Chicago who's pretty dang good, from everything that I've heard. As Karno becomes more and more ready to play longer we will most likely go back to a high low offense with Collins playing the 4 and Karno and Williams the 5.

And of course there are other really good players on the team next year. That will make it all very interesting, but seriously, this is going to be a very good team no matter how Few mixes it up. And that is why we are seeing such excitement from Jazz. There is reason to be very excited.

MileHigh
06-24-2016, 07:07 PM
A few things to chew on when digesting the Mathews pick up

--Mathews basically fell into Fews lap. Coach Daniels and Mathews dad are very, very good friends and that is what got the ball rolling.

--Williams is the best block defender on the team and will get major minutes because of that ability

--Alberts is on pace to graduate at the end of next summer and will have 2 years eligibility remaining once he graduates

Goshzagit
06-24-2016, 08:10 PM
--Williams is the best block defender on the team and will get major minutes because of that ability

Exactly what I heard as well.

Also, an excellent offensive rebounder.

Was told JWIII defense, tenacity in practice, and rebounding really pushed Domas this past season. Helped Domas give it his all when not playing.

This was mentioned numerous times, in fact, JWIII won many battles vs Sabonis. They brought it every single practice.

Coach Few adores JWIII.

Dealing with a minor meniscus issue at the moment but his toughness, rebounding, and defense -- shot blocking -- are high level.

His scoring ability(shooting) is pretty low on the totem pole, but his prowess, motor, and natural attributes puts points on the board.

He won't ever be a go-to scorer, but much like Anthony Roberson did for OKC, he does it all in the dirty work department.

Rebound, cleans the glass, defends, put-backs, fights, etc.

We need this guy in a big way. Will only help Zach Collins develop a bit more toughness/strength -- in addition to his all world skills -- which is what he needs.

ZagsObserver
06-24-2016, 08:25 PM

--Mathews basically fell into Fews lap. Coach Daniels and Mathews dad are very, very good friends and that is what got the ball rolling.

--Alberts is on pace to graduate at the end of next summer and will have 2 years eligibility remaining once he graduates

Your 3rd point of consideration is an interesting one

MDABE80
06-24-2016, 08:31 PM
"His scoring ability (shooting) is pretty low on the totem pole...." In his 2nd year at Missouri, I thought he shot 42% from the floor and was 12 ppg and 7 Boards with good shot blocking.
He'll be fine and will add a lot down low.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2016, 08:44 PM
Your 3rd point of consideration is an interesting one

Read the tea leaves on various posts. One poster mentioned him leaving and then another insider said that's not the case, yet.

Goshzagit
06-24-2016, 08:47 PM
"His scoring ability (shooting) is pretty low on the totem pole...." In his 2nd year at Missouri, I thought he shot 42% from the floor and was 12 ppg and 7 Boards with good shot blocking.
He'll be fine and will add a lot down low.

my post was filled with doubt, wasn't it? hardly.

sheesh abe…

only report what I hear.

mentioned his amazing ability over and over. how he scores his points.

he scores with quickness, athleticism, put-backs, and CAN hit the mid-range shot; however, he's far from a go-to shooting/scoring option as we've had in the past.

he's going to be great. I said that. He's a major coup and player for us.

MDABE80
06-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Gosh...no worries. I hope he's a killer.

jazzdelmar
06-25-2016, 05:03 AM

Interesting but I don't see the correlation between those three tidbits

gonzagafan62
06-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Jordan Mathews and what made his decision to come to Gonzaga.

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/32297751/cals-jordan-matthews-to-transfer-to-gonzaga

He seems like a really awesome guy. Cal was lucky to have him for three years.

MileHigh
06-26-2016, 03:54 AM
Interesting but I don't see the correlation between those three tidbits

mathews will play the 3, and willaims will play the 4

it makes no sense for alberts to tranfer now (due to log jam at the 3) becausue he can simply wait till summer and be a grad transfer and not sit another year

raise the zag
06-26-2016, 06:38 AM
that is 4th interview I've seen with Mr. Mathews.

He's a future Politician or Coach or Lawyer.

He has a natural charisma, eloquence, ease in speaking and in front of the camera.

Seems like a great fit, looks thicker than our guards as well. Saw a picture/vid of him walking with Perkins. Similar height, but Mathews must have 20lbs on Josh.

raise the zag
06-26-2016, 06:46 AM
hit mute button, but nice clip of showing Mathews hitting jump shots from EVERY spot on the court. Most important takeaway, he can hit shots off the dribble, catch & shoot, create his own space along perimeter, etc.

Instantly becomes the best overall shooter on this team. Perkins is underrated for hitting 3's, yet has only shown the ability to hit "set" shots off the catch, at least thus far. Mathews' shooting is more versatile, kinda like Klay Thompson in that way -- can hit any shot from any place, any form. Mid-range too.

His presence and shooting ability will be much needed. I was highly concerned with the lack of shooting after Wiltjer and even Dranginis graduated. Allows Perkins and Williams-Goss to do what they do best, control the ball, dribble-drive, set up teammates, etc. I hope they place nice, I expect they will.

My only concern is Mathews' defense -- he wasn't asked to defend guys much bigger than 6'3" at Cal. He will be asked to defend guys bigger than him, much like Wesley and Dranginis did the last 2 seasons. They both rebounded with the bigs as well.

He will be good because he is a natural shooter who can mix it up if need be. He's not the dribble-driver penetrator like Wesley was, but we already have that set in stone. We needed shooting, elite shooting, and we got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm3JE4TmTgI

tyra
06-26-2016, 07:12 AM
Highlight reels never do it for me but I will say one thing after watching this one: he.needs.no.space. Every one of his threes was contested. Wow!

raise the zag
06-26-2016, 07:26 AM
Highlight reels never do it for me but I will say one thing after watching this one: he.needs.no.space. Every one of his threes was contested. Wow!

Exactly Tyra. A natural shooter no matter the situation or form. We need this next season…and got it!

His career 41% 3pt shooting with over 480 attempts speaks for itself.

This entire returning team doesn't have 480 attempts between them!

Amazing.

DixieZag
06-26-2016, 08:48 AM

I thought the same thing - "Did they ever get this guy an open look?"

Zagceo
06-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Really nice .........high quick release off screens like Clay Thompson. Very nice addition

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
06-26-2016, 05:38 PM
hit mute button, but nice clip of showing Mathews hitting jump shots from EVERY spot on the court. Most important takeaway, he can hit shots off the dribble, catch & shoot, create his own space along perimeter, etc.

Instantly becomes the best overall shooter on this team. Perkins is underrated for hitting 3's, yet has only shown the ability to hit "set" shots off the catch, at least thus far. Mathews' shooting is more versatile, kinda like Klay Thompson in that way -- can hit any shot from any place, any form. Mid-range too.

His presence and shooting ability will be much needed. I was highly concerned with the lack of shooting after Wiltjer and even Dranginis graduated. Allows Perkins and Williams-Goss to do what they do best, control the ball, dribble-drive, set up teammates, etc. I hope they place nice, I expect they will.

My only concern is Mathews' defense -- he wasn't asked to defend guys much bigger than 6'3" at Cal. He will be asked to defend guys bigger than him, much like Wesley and Dranginis did the last 2 seasons. They both rebounded with the bigs as well.

He will be good because he is a natural shooter who can mix it up if need be. He's not the dribble-driver penetrator like Wesley was, but we already have that set in stone. We needed shooting, elite shooting, and we got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm3JE4TmTgI

I actually was dabbin to this song while watching the vid. The music is key to the presentation! Do you want to learn to dab?

Anyways lets get this party started ok? 16-17 with J Money raining THREES!!!!!!!! :)xoValxo

hooter73
06-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Holy high release batman. Haven't had guys that have that shooting form since around 2006. Maybe Gray. He's going to be fun to watch

ProVeeZag
06-26-2016, 09:58 PM

Also looks to be able to absorb a fair amount of contact and finish inside. Plays bigger than his size would suggest ... vertical leap anybody?

demian
06-26-2016, 10:02 PM
I had no clue that Jordan Mathews dad is former San Fransisco head coach Phil Mathews. Im sure it has probably been mentioned on this board before and I just didn't see it so im sorry if this is redundant or old news. Kind of cool tho. I thought Phil Mathews teams were competitive when he was head coach at USF. Always gave us fits at there gym as usual. I remember he got fired and I think USF brought in Eddie Sutton to replace him if im not mistaken. Good to see that he raised what sounds to be a great great young man and really good player. Welcome aboard Mathews family

ProVeeZag
06-26-2016, 10:07 PM
I had no clue that Jordan Mathews dad is former San Fransisco head coach Phil Mathews. Im sure it has probably been mentioned on this board before and I just didn't see it so im sorry if this is redundant or old news. Kind of cool tho. I thought Phil Mathews teams were competitive when he was head coach at USF. Always gave us fits at there gym as usual. I remember he got fired and I think USF brought in Eddie Sutton to replace him if im not mistaken. Good to see that he raised what sounds to be a great great young man and really good player. Welcome aboard Mathews family

Yeah, I saw it mentioned in another thread in passing. I always liked Coach Mathews energy & enthusiasm on the sidelines. Given his age and experience, Jordan may emerge as one of leaders on this Zag unit. Few will be challenged to find the right combinations on the floor, but the talent level is intoxicating to think about!!

demian
06-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I saw it mentioned in another thread in passing. I always liked Coach Mathews energy & enthusiasm on the sidelines. Given his age and experience, Jordan may emerge as one of leaders on this Zag unit. Few will be challenged to find the right combinations on the floor, but the talent level is intoxicating to think about!!

Yes I agree. BIG time talent on this upcoming team. We lost BIG TIME talent in the form of Wiltjer and Sabonis and BIG TIME ATHLETICISM AND BALLS AND CLUTCH GENE AND TOUGHNESS AND HEART AND DESIRE AND HIGH MOTOR in the form of Mclellan and Dranginis and they will be very hard to replace but man the talent level seems to be as you said intoxicating for sure.

webspinnre
06-27-2016, 09:13 AM

Fits with Few's long-standing love of coach's sons too. I'm really excited about Mathews.

DixieZag
06-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Anyone who has still not yet watched the personal overview/interview posted earlier, really needs to invest the time. The kid sounds like a 40 year old in terms of insight and attitude, humble and yet confident. He literally hits the "Wesley Standard" which, honestly, I wasn't sure how anyone else could.

ZagsGoZags
06-27-2016, 05:14 PM
Also looks to be able to absorb a fair amount of contact and finish inside. Plays bigger than his size would suggest ... vertical leap anybody?

this is what I noticed the most when I watch video of Matthews,
the elevation on his jump shot seems much higher than the average college guard,
he gets up there as a routine part of his shot

jazzdelmar
06-27-2016, 05:17 PM
this is what I noticed the most when I watch video of Matthews,
the elevation on his jump shot seems much higher than the average college guard,
he gets up there as a routine part of his shot

As high as Barry Kramer did?

Zagdawg
06-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Cal Transfer Jordan Mathews Talks About His Commitment To Gonzaga

“The decision was really made after talking to Coach Few, Coach Lloyd, Coach Daniels and Coach Michaelson and after being around the guys,” confirmed the talented guard. “The Kennel was really cool. All of Spokane was nice and the visit was great. I had been there before for the NCAA Tournament so I did have a feel for the city before the trip.”

“I have two more classes left and they are each four credits. Right now, I am hoping to head to Spokane around the 26th of August, right before school starts.”

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1682093-jordan-mathews-discusses-gonzaga-commitment

Reborn
06-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Mathews is not the same type of player as Wesley was, but he will be just as important to the team. Wesley was a player who attacked the basket and scored inside with ease. Mathews is a jump shooter, and 3 point arsonist. With the departure of Wiltjer, Gonzaga really needed a player who could ignite the fire inside the gym like Wiltjer did. Edwards is going to do that, I believe. The way Mathews comes off screens and scores from beyond the 3 pt line reminds me of Richie Fraham. I believe that Mathews is even better than Fraham because he has all the moves to add to his 3 pt shooting. He's got a great pull-up jumper, and attacks the basket much better than Fraham did.

Mathews, like Wesley, has one year to play for GU. He's a mature senior and will add stability and high IQ to a somewhat inexperienced team. He has been a star basketball player at Cal, and Gonzaga will need that kind of a player to replace Wiltjer and Sabonis. We need someone who can score one on one the way Wiltjer and Sabonis did. Experience is a huge factor in playing basketball successfully. Mathews brings that kind of experience. He played, and was a star, in the very tough Pac 12. Wesley had a similar resume.

When you add players like Norvell and Melson to the mix, Gonzaga will have some really great shooting guards who have loads of confidence. The reports about Norvell have been awesome and really leave me excited. I believe that teams who make it to the Final Four, and who win championships, have great guards who can really play. Who can score inside and out. Who can hit 3's and attack the rim. I believe that Gonzaga has that kind of talent. And when you add the talent in our post positions, Collins, Williams, Edwards and Karnowski, this has to be a top ten team that can honestly make it to the Final Four.

gonstu
06-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Mathews also led Cal in FT% last year at 79.8%

:D

MDABE80
06-28-2016, 11:50 AM
It's KEY Gonstu. Good finding.

CanadianZagsFan
06-28-2016, 01:30 PM
As a fan since 1999, this is one of the most excited off seasons for me. So many variables on new players coming in like Matthews for example. So pumped to see what he can bring ! Missed the ONE Cal game last March Madness due to cousins wedding out of town (getting married during first weekend of MM, ugh).

sittingon50
06-28-2016, 01:54 PM
As high as Barry Kramer did?

Thought for sure you would say "The Goat", Jazz.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Thought for sure you would say "The Goat", Jazz.

Earl Manigault, indeed, was a NYC playground legend. But Barry was a legitimate college superstar at NYU with Harold happy Hairston. And the prettiest jump shot I have ever seen.

Zagdawg
06-30-2016, 04:35 PM
MBB Adds Cal Transfer Jordan Mathews

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/063016aaa.html

ZagMan in Philly
07-01-2016, 03:01 AM
Did you say Final 4?

http://www.todaysu.com/wcc/addition-of-jordan-mathews-gives-gonzaga-final-four-firepower/

Mathews is not the same type of player as Wesley was, but he will be just as important to the team. Wesley was a player who attacked the basket and scored inside with ease. Mathews is a jump shooter, and 3 point arsonist. With the departure of Wiltjer, Gonzaga really needed a player who could ignite the fire inside the gym like Wiltjer did. Edwards is going to do that, I believe. The way Mathews comes off screens and scores from beyond the 3 pt line reminds me of Richie Fraham. I believe that Mathews is even better than Fraham because he has all the moves to add to his 3 pt shooting. He's got a great pull-up jumper, and attacks the basket much better than Fraham did.

Mathews, like Wesley, has one year to play for GU. He's a mature senior and will add stability and high IQ to a somewhat inexperienced team. He has been a star basketball player at Cal, and Gonzaga will need that kind of a player to replace Wiltjer and Sabonis. We need someone who can score one on one the way Wiltjer and Sabonis did. Experience is a huge factor in playing basketball successfully. Mathews brings that kind of experience. He played, and was a star, in the very tough Pac 12. Wesley had a similar resume.

When you add players like Norvell and Melson to the mix, Gonzaga will have some really great shooting guards who have loads of confidence. The reports about Norvell have been awesome and really leave me excited. I believe that teams who make it to the Final Four, and who win championships, have great guards who can really play. Who can score inside and out. Who can hit 3's and attack the rim. I believe that Gonzaga has that kind of talent. And when you add the talent in our post positions, Collins, Williams, Edwards and Karnowski, this has to be a top ten team that can honestly make it to the Final Four.

jazzdelmar
07-01-2016, 04:29 AM
MBB Adds Cal Transfer Jordan Mathews

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/063016aaa.html

Dawg. For a second there, I thought a school named MBB had stolen Matthews from GU...:)

Zagdawg
07-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Zags just released the official presser -- a bit later than everyone else.

Have a good and safe 4th -- remember to apply the sunblock liberally.

Go Zags

23dpg
07-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Zags just released the official presser -- a bit later than everyone else.

Have a good and safe 4th -- remember to apply the sunblock liberally.

Go Zags

Keep your political views out of the MBB!!! :jk::p

sittingon50
07-01-2016, 07:23 AM
Keep your political views out of the MBB!!! :jk::p

:lmao:

Zagdawg
07-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Gonzaga Basketball ‏@ZagMBB 16m16 minutes ago
The LA kid will be rockin' #4 for the Zags this season. Welcome to the fam @JordanMathews22! ����

Zagdawg
07-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Azor Ahai ‏@JordanMathews22 2m2 minutes ago
Cleared to hoop! #werebackinbusiness

ZagsObserver
07-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Does that mean he passed his summer courses?

strikenowhere
07-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Azor Ahai ‏@JordanMathews22 2m2 minutes ago
Cleared to hoop! #werebackinbusiness

I like this guy even more now that I see he's a big Game of Thrones fan

GoZags
07-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Does that mean he passed his summer courses?

It was my understanding that his classroom work would be finished on August 18. I "believe" he'd had a bit of a medical issue that's been resolved ... thus he's "Cleared to hoop"

Mantua
07-26-2016, 03:56 PM
It was my understanding that his classroom work would be finished on August 18. I "believe" he'd had a bit of a medical issue that's been resolved ... thus he's "Cleared to hoop"

August 12th all summer classes end at Berkeley.

http://registrar.berkeley.edu/calendar

exclusivelee
07-26-2016, 05:39 PM
I "believe" he'd had a bit of a medical issue that's been resolved ... thus he's "Cleared to hoop"

Heard that too but can't remember where I read it or heard it

Gonzaga Basketball ‏@ZagMBB 16m16 minutes ago
The LA kid will be rockin' #4 for the Zags this season. Welcome to the fam @JordanMathews22! 🔵🔴

6'4". Same as Byron Wesley was listed on the Gonzaga roster. Don't remember many Zag fans mad about his height, but many were mad about if Jordan was 6'3"

http://i.imgur.com/9zOPvLD.jpg

Reborn
07-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Did you say Final 4?

http://www.todaysu.com/wcc/addition-of-jordan-mathews-gives-gonzaga-final-four-firepower/

yes

bartruff1
07-28-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't see Jordan on the bench....I suspect he will start..from the get go...

Virginia Zags Fan
07-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Have not been this excited for an upcoming season in a long time! At least since last year;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonzagafan62
07-28-2016, 11:25 AM

No doubt. You don't transfer your senior year to be brought off bench.

kitzbuel
07-28-2016, 11:27 AM

I agree. Don't know if he will 'start' per se, but he will be getting EMac and BWes type minutes.

Bogozags
07-28-2016, 04:20 PM
No doubt. You don't transfer your senior year to be brought off bench.

I think and believe that Jordan came to Gonzaga to further his education...basketball is just an after thought...:roll:

ZagsObserver
07-28-2016, 05:46 PM
I can't see Jordan not starting, as with Goss and Perkins. Collins and JWill both starting may depend on Karno. Melson will be first to relieve at the 2 spot but Norvell will have an opportunity to supplant him. My thoughts, anyways

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-28-2016, 06:28 PM
I can't see Jordan not starting, as with Goss and Perkins. Collins and JWill both starting may depend on Karno. Melson will be first to relieve at the 2 spot but Norvell will have an opportunity to supplant him. My thoughts, anyways

I agree the likely starting backcourt is Goss, Perkins and Matthews. Also think either Goss or Perkins must be on the court at all times except in blowouts as they are the only true PG's. If so, how Few finds minutes for Melson, Norvell and Rui (assuming he is a wing/3 not a PF...and the hype is real, and he doesn't redshirt) will be a luxury problem for this team....hopefully, rather than a soap opera.

Zagdawg
08-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
Miles Simon ‏@milessimon 3h3 hours ago
Great morning work w/ 1of the most underrated guards in the country @JordanMathews22 @ZagMBB @CalSupremeBball FAMILY

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/JM.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/JM.jpg.html)

thespywhozaggedme
08-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Why's he still wearing a Cal shirt? That's a little...odd

MDABE80
08-27-2016, 09:47 PM
He's been there 3 years. It's part of his "collection".

jazzdelmar
08-28-2016, 04:07 AM
I'll take a Miles Simon type year from Matthews anytime.

A lock to start, as are Goss and Williams.

Goshzagit
08-28-2016, 05:49 AM

He is an alumnus.

A Berkeley graduate. I'd be proud too, not to mention no ill feelings by either player or school.

He will be wearing Cal & Gonzaga gear the rest of his life. Much like I wear Minnesota & Gonzaga apparel, sometimes at the same time.

Now, if he wears a Cal jersey to a GU practice, then I'd start to question it a bit...

Ps. I actually own a Cal pullover, not because I'm a fan, more because of their terrific colors & born in Cali. The Cal logo & colors are a favorite.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-28-2016, 06:40 AM

He is a graduate from that school. I wore my share of Gonzaga gear as a grad student at another university.

soccerdud
08-28-2016, 10:45 AM
A lock to start, as are Goss and Williams.

interesting that you say that. my 3 locks are perkins, goss, and karno (if healthy). mathews and williams are just almost locks. if someone like norvell or collins beat someone out, you can bet it won't be the guys who've already been starters. i totally get your enthusiasm about the new faces... but it's like you don't know few. at all.

maynard g krebs
08-28-2016, 11:13 AM
my 3 locks are perkins, goss, and karno (if healthy). mathews and williams are just almost locks.

Agree w/ your 3 but I'd add Matthews as a lock over a fr and a guy who has been inconsistent. Williams/Collins seems like the only slightly open question.

jazzdelmar
08-28-2016, 11:29 AM
interesting that you say that. my 3 locks are perkins, goss, and karno (if healthy). mathews and williams are just almost locks. if someone like norvell or collins beat someone out, you can bet it won't be the guys who've already been starters. i totally get your enthusiasm about the new faces... but it's like you don't know few. at all.

Few 2.0.

seacatfan
08-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Matthews was a deadly 3 point shooter and consistent scoring threat for multiple seasons in the Pac 12. Hard to imagine him not starting at GU. While his scoring average wasn't as high, I actually think he was a better player at Cal than Wesley was at USC. Either Melson or Alberts will have had to improve A TON, or a true freshman will have to be amazing to keep Matthews out of the starting lineup. I have a hard time believing it was either his or Few's plan to bring him in for 1 year to come off the bench.

soccerdud
08-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Matthews was a deadly 3 point shooter and consistent scoring threat for multiple seasons in the Pac 12. Hard to imagine him not starting at GU. While his scoring average wasn't as high, I actually think he was a better player at Cal than Wesley was at USC. Either Melson or Alberts will have had to improve A TON, or a true freshman will have to be amazing to keep Matthews out of the starting lineup. I have a hard time believing it was either his or Few's plan to bring him in for 1 year to come off the bench.

agreed. doubt it will happen. in fact, i'd say it's a near certainty that it won't. i just think it's more likely than perkins not starting. as i said, mathews and williams are almost locks. but because we seem to need to have someone "nominated" as the possibility to get beaten out by our super frosh collins and norvell (and maybe rui), i was just noting that i think it's *more* likely that mathews and williams are the candidates than perkins and/or a healthy karno.

i'd say there's a 90%+ chance that the season starts with: perkins, nwg, mathews, williams, karno-- assuming all are healthy and ready to go. i feel damn good about norvell/melson/rui/collins getting consistent and significant playing time and pushing those starters. but if one of them just becomes impossible to keep out of the starting lineup, i doubt it's karno or perkins who move to the bench.

gonzagafan62
08-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Nah, seriously the starters are as mentioned here and it's not changing barring injury...

Perkins
Goss
Mathews
JW3
Karnowski

Don't see AT ALL why anyone would think it's going to be different. It's not. This is coach few.

Bogozags
08-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Nah, seriously the starters are as mentioned here and it's not changing barring injury...

Perkins
Goss
Mathews
JW3
Karnowski

Don't see AT ALL why anyone would think it's going to be different. It's not. This is coach few.

+1

SunDevilGolfZag
08-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Maybe someone like Jeremy Jones will emerge as a must-play defender, ala Anthony Reason (or a Mike Hart type). Great teams have that

DixieZag
08-28-2016, 07:08 PM
I think Mathews might be the second strongest "lock" starter in the whole team, short of maybe only NWG. Karno we don't know about health, and everyone else seems has a bigger ? mark. It would be tough to convince all-conference scorers to come spend their senior year here if one isn't going to immediately insert them. They don't come to sit.

Reborn
08-28-2016, 07:49 PM
I'll say this. Everyone starts from scratch, and more so this year than most others because we lose four starters. I don't care who is who from the past, and I doubt Few does either. I don't believe any starting position sewn up. I really doubt that Few guarantees anyone that they will start. Players have proven they can play in other environments, and those who had success you would think that they would have it here. But it is not a guarantee. The key is that you have to put the ball in the basket. You have to hit open shots. If you can do that, you'll play. If you can't, you'll be sitting. And being able to play defense and rebound is always a plus. I believe that playing for Gonzaga last year can definitely help. For that reason I give Perkins and Melson the upper hand, and the new players will have to take their playing time from them. I know some of you feel that a few of the guys who have transferred to Gonzaga have the upper hand because they played well in supposedly tougher conferences. I am so excited to see. I know one thing. There is a lot of talent and that will only make everyone better. I think this will be the best second team Gonzaga has had, and in the long run that is going to help.

Zagdawg
08-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Azor Ahai
‏@JordanMathews22
#degreeinthree

Azor Ahai ‏@JordanMathews22 16m16 minutes ago
Spokane in the A.M, #itsabouttime

Coach Crazy
08-31-2016, 07:30 AM
Azor Ahai
‏@JordanMathews22
#degreeinthree

Azor Ahai ‏@JordanMathews22 16m16 minutes ago
Spokane in the A.M, #itsabouttime

Special things are coming together for this team, guys. Special things.