PDA

View Full Version : Wiltjer to Rockets

cggonzaga
06-23-2016, 09:38 PM
Good luck Kyle!

CDC84
06-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm · 8m8 minutes ago

Exchanged texts with Wiltjer, who has agreed to three-year deal with Houston, will play on Rockets' summer league team.

zagbeliever
06-23-2016, 10:05 PM
SO happy to hear this! Yay Kyle!

Mantua
06-23-2016, 10:38 PM
Congratulations Kyle! Great news!

ZagnetitForce
06-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Very cool!

3XaZag
06-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Nice.... anyone know if this is guaranteed $$$s ??

Will he roll to the League minimum if he makes the fall squad?

LongIslandZagFan
06-24-2016, 05:58 AM
Nice.... anyone know if this is guaranteed $$$s ??

Will he roll to the League minimum if he makes the fall squad?

He is guaranteed 50% of first year salary so about a $275,000... whether he makes the team or not.

TexasZagFan
06-24-2016, 06:06 AM
He is guaranteed 50% of first year salary so about a $275,000... whether he makes the team or not.

Beats the hell out of the deal I got coming out of college. My guarantee was $666 per month for the first two years. :lmao:

MileHigh
06-24-2016, 06:19 AM
It is rare that a free agent makes it on a roster in the NBA, but Houston didn't have any first round picks, and the International player they picked in 2nd round may not leave his team, so Wiltjer, Payton II, and the guard from UT that all signed as FA's yesterday will be the only rookies in their camp which helps their odds.

IMO a great scenario for KW would be that he does enough in summer league to get a decent International contract (>150k) which combined with his NBA guarantee would give him close to a half million dollars in his pocket for his first year of pro basketball

Reborn
06-24-2016, 07:01 AM
This is great news for me because he wasn't drafted. I was pretty upset when I went to bed but come morning I'm feeling great now. I am really happy because I really like Kyle W. And he did a lot for Gonzaga. There hasn't been a player since that '99 team that started on two GU teams that made it to the Elite 8 and Sweet 16 in back to back years. I read a report that he really played good in the Dallas combine also, so I had my fingers crossed. I really believe that there is a place in the NBA for a sharp shooter like Kyle.

Congratulations Kyle.

Zagdawg
06-24-2016, 07:47 AM
*(Note: Credit to Houston for signing Gary Payton II following the draft. He's the tough-minded, defense-first guard they need.)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/2016-nba-draft-grades-team-by-team-analysis/ar-AAhzu8S?li=BBnb7Kz#page=4

Mr Vulture
06-24-2016, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't say that is necessarily accurate. What typically drives whether a guy makes the NBA roster is the true roster spots available that don't have guaranteed contracts sitting in the way. The Rockets currently only have 9 guys under contract so they have 4 spots, assuming all 9 are guaranteed. However, they will almost certainly attempt to re-sign Howard and Lawson (or sign similar players) which leaves two roster spots. They could also move out a player or two that are under contract if they wanted to create space. I think that Wiltjer has a very good, if not great, shot at making this roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see GP3 make it too.

It is rare that a free agent makes it on a roster in the NBA, but Houston didn't have any first round picks, and the International player they picked in 2nd round may not leave his team, so Wiltjer, Payton II, and the guard from UT that all signed as FA's yesterday will be the only rookies in their camp which helps their odds.

IMO a great scenario for KW would be that he does enough in summer league to get a decent International contract (>150k) which combined with his NBA guarantee would give him close to a half million dollars in his pocket for his first year of pro basketball

TexasZagFan
06-24-2016, 09:11 AM
*(Note: Credit to Houston for signing Gary Payton II following the draft. He's the tough-minded, defense-first guard they need.)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/2016-nba-draft-grades-team-by-team-analysis/ar-AAhzu8S?li=BBnb7Kz#page=4

Perfect fit for Houston, considering that Harden never passes the ball.

DukeSilver
06-24-2016, 09:21 AM

Per Mark Few, by way of Andy Katz, Wiltjer's deal actually has two guaranteed years!

https://twitter.com/espnandykatz/status/746226770530078720

sittingon50
06-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Per Mark Few, by way of Andy Katz, Wiltjer's deal actually has two guaranteed years!

https://twitter.com/espnandykatz/status/746226770530078720

Good for him!!

Coach Crazy
06-24-2016, 10:11 AM
If he plays well enough, this could end up working out better than getting drafted in the first round. I am guessing the third year is a team option? Better than a 2 year with 2 team options. If a player is trending in the right direction, no team is going to let a team option contract year play out, and he would have a chance for a pay day a year earlier, regardless. Just shoot the lights out. D'Antoni wants his offense. That's his bridge to a bigger payday...not his defense.

TexasZagFan
06-24-2016, 10:22 AM
If he plays well enough, this could end up working out better than getting drafted in the first round. I am guessing the third year is a team option? Better than a 2 year with 2 team options. If a player is trending in the right direction, no team is going to let a team option contract year play out, and he would have a chance for a pay day a year earlier, regardless. Just shoot the lights out. D'Antoni wants his offense. That's his bridge to a bigger payday...not his defense.

I forgot, D'Antoni's the new coach. Kyle should be a great fit, especially when Harden's taking a breather on the bench.

Reborn
06-24-2016, 10:29 AM

I agree. Payton and Wiltjer are both very good additions for Houston.

zag944
06-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Kyle and my all time favorite player's son to Houston? Dwight Howard out? I'll be rooting for them to do well this year.

Coach Crazy
06-24-2016, 10:37 AM
Kyle and my all time favorite player's son to Houston? Dwight Howard out? I'll be rooting for them to do well this year.

GP is a nice combo guard. Can play off the ball, handle for short periods of time, and dish from where he receives his passes as an off-ball guard. As well, can drive to the hoop and throw it down. Kinda has a dynamic Westrbook quality to his game. The Rockets hit a home run with those two signings.

basketballzag
06-24-2016, 10:42 AM
I forgot, D'Antoni's the new coach. Kyle should be a great fit, especially when Harden's taking a breather on the bench.

Best case scenario came true for Wiltjer. The Rockets needed him and got him meanwhile another team who wanted him (who he didn't work out for) was mired in front office panic and missed their opportunity. He will be on Houston's roster next year playing in the NBA not destined for NBAD league because they desperately needed an outside shooter in the worst way. The same way Wiltjer & Gonzaga were the right places Houston & Wiltjer are of the same formula right now.

Bogozags
06-24-2016, 10:49 AM
Beats the hell out of the deal I got coming out of college. My guarantee was $666 per month for the first two years. :lmao:

Wow! $666 per month and you got to camp-out in Bavaria too! Not sure Kyle got the better deal...:)

Reborn
06-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Best case scenario came true for Wiltjer. The Rockets needed him and got him meanwhile another team who wanted him (who he didn't work out for) was mired in front office panic and missed their opportunity. He will be on Houston's roster next year playing in the NBA not destined for NBAD league because they desperately needed an outside shooter in the worst way. The same way Wiltjer & Gonzaga were the right places Houston & Wiltjer are of the same formula right now.

I like this analysis a lot. thanks...

JPtheBeasta
06-24-2016, 09:05 PM

You should have worked a little harder on that jump shot

23dpg
06-25-2016, 06:26 AM
According to KREM it's what LIZF reported, first year half salary.
http://www.krem.com/sports/kyle-wiltjer-signs-free-agent-deal-with-rockets/254481062

Two years guaranteed would be very unusual for a free agent. Second round picks don't even get a guarantee.

bballbeachbum
06-25-2016, 07:20 AM
another great opportunity for an NBA Zag. Pick and roll D may be his bane but others have the same issues there and teams work it out how to help and adjust, and thought he improved on that in his time in Spokane. we'll see. we all know he has NBA range as much as any player and he's not just a 3 point shooter. with Harden drawing so much attention Kyle should get his share of open looks. if he can knock them down early and gain his teammates confidence early, anything is possible imo

jazzdelmar
06-25-2016, 09:28 AM

Couldn't happen to a nicer young man.

maynard g krebs
06-25-2016, 12:17 PM
According to KREM it's what LIZF reported, first year half salary.
http://www.krem.com/sports/kyle-wiltjer-signs-free-agent-deal-with-rockets/254481062

Two years guaranteed would be very unusual for a free agent. Second round picks don't even get a guarantee.

Sounds like they value him highly enough to keep him around; 275k seems like just enough money to make sure he doesn't take a guaranteed deal in Europe or elsewhere this year. Makes it look like they think there's a reasonably good probability he sticks.

Zagger
06-26-2016, 01:40 AM
Congrats Kyle!

Zagdawg
06-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Kyle Wiltjer ‏@kwiltj 49m49 minutes ago
Houston bound ��

Jstock12
06-29-2016, 06:17 AM
I was checking out KW's DX profile page, and it seems that from age 22 to 23 he somehow managed to improve his wingspan from 6'11.5" to 7'0.25" :D He must have been doing a lot of stretching :D

LongIslandZagFan
06-29-2016, 06:29 AM
I was checking out KW's DX profile page, and it seems that from age 22 to 23 he somehow managed to improve his wingspan from 6'11.5" to 7'0.25" :D He must have been doing a lot of stretching :D

There is a difference in precision between how a college measures and how the NBA measures. Which is why many guys get a smidgen shorter when the end up in the NBA

Zagdawg
07-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Kyle WiltjerVerified account
‏@kwiltj
Even though I'm playing against you Friday you can take a couple TO's and throw me some dimes still @KPangos

SageOfZagville
07-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Pangos makes the Hawks Summer League Roster.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/6/29/12060790/bryce-cotton-added-to-atlanta-hawks-roster-for-las-vegas-summer-league-per-report

"Atlanta’s perimeter shooting has come under fire in recent years, but with both Cotton and former Gonzaga guard Kevin Pangos, the Hawks are taking a look at some knock-down shooters from distance in Las Vegas"

gonstu
07-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Pangos makes the Hawks Summer League Roster.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/6/29/12060790/bryce-cotton-added-to-atlanta-hawks-roster-for-las-vegas-summer-league-per-report

"Atlanta’s perimeter shooting has come under fire in recent years, but with both Cotton and former Gonzaga guard Kevin Pangos, the Hawks are taking a look at some knock-down shooters from distance in Las Vegas"

I don't follow the NBA. Does this signing give any hope to KP getting a chance in the NBA - or is it not that big of a deal?

LongIslandZagFan
07-06-2016, 08:44 AM
I don't follow the NBA. Does this signing give any hope to KP getting a chance in the NBA - or is it not that big of a deal?

Gives him a remote chance. Any chance to play in summer leagues gives a glimmer of hope.

Coach Crazy
07-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Gives him a remote chance. Any chance to play in summer leagues gives a glimmer of hope.

Yeah. This. If he lights it up from deep, can make the offense flow, and not be a defensive liability (at the very least), he might just have a shot at pre-season. But a white, undersized guard coming from a post-draft oversea's situation is going to have to really prove himself.

Angelo Roncalli
07-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Yeah. This. If he lights it up from deep, can make the offense flow, and not be a defensive liability (at the very least), he might just have a shot at pre-season. But a white, undersized guard coming from a post-draft oversea's situation is going to have to really prove himself.

Are you saying that, all other things being equal, if he were black, he would have a better chance?

Coach Crazy
07-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Are you saying that, all other things being equal, if he were black, he would have a better chance?

I'm saying that the perception among some in the league (there was an ESPN piece about it, actually) on white guards is not favorable from an athleticism and defensive perspective. More is expected to be proven.

jazzdelmar
07-06-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm saying that the perception among some in the league (there was an ESPN piece about it, actually) on white guards is not favorable from an athleticism and defensive perspective. More is expected to be proven.

Isn't that wonderful.

MTZag03
07-06-2016, 06:11 PM

Yeah. The truth hurts but it's a fairly universal belief culturally. No science to back it up that I know of but many people believe exactly this.

DixieZag
07-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Both KW and KP worked so hard. I can't think of two people more deserving of a good shot at making it in the NBA.

I can't imagine them not sticking if given a regular season shot. They're winners. I think they can help anyone win.

OZZY
07-07-2016, 02:59 PM

KP is sure giving himself every chance, it looks like he has walked away from a very good (and profitable) opportunity in the Greek 1st division to pursue his dream

Kevin's play last year in the Summer League was solid, he ran the Mavs team well, but shot atrociously from the deep (even missed open looks).

If he can hit some from the deep and manage the team he may have a shot at the 3rd string backup for the Hawks as Teague is gone.

Most Atlanta fans want a more experienced backup to young gun Schroeder a journeyman type but they may be running out of funds....

The only negative for KP is he will find it hard to attack the basket (something the Hawks coach wants in his Pgs) in the NBA. His FG% fro the 2 was not great in the ACB and you can't help but think that with the higher level of athleticism in the NBA it will be even more difficult to get to the hoop.

KP is very determined though so it will be interesting to see how he fares

Zagdawg
07-07-2016, 05:05 PM
#WCChoops in 2016 NBA Summer League

"Kyle Collinsworth (BYU/Dallas), the 2016 WCC Player of the Year, three-time All-WCC First Team pick Stacy Davis (Pepperdine/Portland), 2015 WCC Player of the Year Kevin Pangos (Gonzaga/Atlanta) Diamon Simpson (Saint Mary’s/Cleveland) and two-time WCC Tournament Most Outstanding Player Kyle Wiltjer (Gonzaga/Houston) will all be in action in the desert."

http://www.wccsports.com/news/wcchoops-in-2016-nba-summer-league-07-07-2016

raise the zag
07-07-2016, 05:17 PM
If Pangos could dribble-drive and finish with more consistency, he'd be in the NBA, and truly the 'next Steve Nash'.

His shooting, ball handling, awareness, vision, IQ, are all elite.

His first step is just too slow to make it at that level.

He's a top tier PG in Euro-pro league for a reason, he's a terrific player. Just not quick enough with the ball.

He's still playing professional basketball and being paid well. Better than nearly all league minimums for 1st and 2nd year players, and his luxury amenities are top notch.

Best of luck to him. He'll be playing basketball for years to come until he finds his Coaching destination -- its in his nature, in his blood, pedigree, and desire to coach eventually.

Maybe Gonzaga?

btzag
07-07-2016, 06:24 PM
All about getting a shot and finding your niche in the league.

Look at Delly....does he have a quick first step or really do anything great? He averages 5.7 points for his career and just scored a 36.8M$ contract. Robert Horry played 15 years in the league and did not average over 10pts a year for his last 12 YEARS in the league but stuck around because he could hit 3's from the corner. I've watched a terrible ballplayer in Meyers Leonard here locally for years who has no business in the NBA and even remember back to his college days when Sacre owned him playing at Illinois and still the guy gets a shot because he is tall and somewhat athletic. Shoot David Stockton even played 3 games in the league!

NBA is just crazy. Pangos or Pargo certainly are on that 'backup' level.

Goshzagit
07-07-2016, 07:08 PM
All about getting a shot and finding your niche in the league.

Look at Delly....does he have a quick first step or really do anything great? He averages 5.7 points for his career and just scored a 36.8M$ contract. Robert Horry played 15 years in the league and did not average over 10pts a year for his last 12 YEARS in the league but stuck around because he could hit 3's from the corner. I've watched a terrible ballplayer in Meyers Leonard here locally for years who has no business in the NBA and even remember back to his college days when Sacre owned him playing at Illinois and still the guy gets a shot because he is tall and somewhat athletic. Shoot David Stockton even played 3 games in the league!

NBA is just crazy. Pangos or Pargo certainly are on that 'backup' level.

Agree with all this but have to say, David Stockton is way, WAY more athletic/quick than Kevin is...Stockton is 5'10" on a good day & can flush a reverse dunk. Kevin is 6'2" & can barely get it down off one leg, running start, finger tips. They are both really good players & have a shot at the league, but if David had Kevin's size & natural shot, & Kevin had Stocks' athleticism/quickness, that player would be all pro. Maybe all star.

Zagdawg
07-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Zags Guru
44 mins ·
Kevin Pangos vs Kyle Wiltjer in NBA Vegas Summer League. 5:00pm on NBATV. Pangos' Atlanta Hawks vs Kyle Wiltjer's Houston Rockets ‪#‎Canadian‬ ‪#‎Gonzaga‬ stars

Zagdawg
07-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Former Zags Kyle Wiltjer, Kevin Pangos Kick Off NBA Summer League

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1684641-former-zags-kick-off-nba-summer-league

SageOfZagville
07-08-2016, 12:40 PM
8 p.m. -- Atlanta vs. Houston (NBA TV)

WooHoo - That's Eastern Standard Time.
5 p. m. Spokane time as noted above, probably 7:00 your time.
Plan Accordingly. :)

ZagMan in Philly
07-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Good luck to both, hope they will stick. I will be watching.

Zags Guru
44 mins ·
Kevin Pangos vs Kyle Wiltjer in NBA Vegas Summer League. 5:00pm on NBATV. Pangos' Atlanta Hawks vs Kyle Wiltjer's Houston Rockets ‪#‎Canadian‬ ‪#‎Gonzaga‬ stars

Jstock12
07-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Anyone watching Pangos playing for the Atlanta Hawks summer league team? So far he has 5 points and 2 rebounds in 13 minutes of play :) Wiltjer with 11 points and 1 rebound in 7 minutes of play.

basketballzag
07-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Another change of circumstances in the NBA with Ryan signing. Wiltjer will find another team just like Pangos or go overseas.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-17-2016, 03:13 AM
Has anybody heard any news regarding Wiltjer in recent weeks?

Mojo13
08-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Has anybody heard any news regarding Wiltjer in recent weeks?

What are you hoping to hear? Not much news at this time of year. Guys just training and working hard on their game until camp starts.
Seems he is in Houston doing just that.

MDABE80
08-24-2016, 11:11 AM
First game (counting) for NBA on Oct 25th. Camp begins soon so I think we'll be hearing more . I'm SO glad Wiltjer was signed up.

Mojo13
08-24-2016, 03:07 PM
First game (counting) for NBA on Oct 25th. Camp begins soon so I think we'll be hearing more . I'm SO glad Wiltjer was signed up.

I am not a hiuge Rockets fan so I may need help on this but I think this is what their training camp roster will look like:

C - Capela, Nene, Onuaku
PF - Anderson, DMo, Beasley, Harrell, Wiltjer
SF - Ariza, Dekker, Brewer
SG - Harden, Gordon, McDaniels
PG - Beverley, Prigioni, Payton, Taylor

Even with this ugly roster, some things are going to need to happen for Wiltjer make the final 15. DMo who I think is still unsigned is going to need to remain that way (or they do a sign and trade and ship him out) or someone like Beasley (guaranteed deal) is going to need to be cut (waived). Or else someone needs to get hurt.
Taylor. Wiltjer. Payton are the likely cuts - none have guaranteed deals. There are still rumors of the Rockets looking for trades, so that could clear some space.

If I was a betting man, I'd put major odds of Wiltjer starting on the Rio Grande Vipers - with injuries he may get some call up throughout the year.

I am not even an advocate for him to be that 13-15th guy on an NBA team. I know these guys dream of the NBA, but Pangos is going to be a better player by starting on a Euroleague team rather than be the 15th man on an NBA team.

VaBeachZAG
08-25-2016, 06:10 AM
I am not even an advocate for him to be that 13-15th guy on an NBA team. I know these guys dream of the NBA, but Pangos is going to be a better player by starting on a Euroleague team rather than be the 15th man on an NBA team.

I so totally agree with this!

Mojo13
09-23-2016, 06:39 AM
I am not a hiuge Rockets fan so I may need help on this but I think this is what their training camp roster will look like:

C - Capela, Nene, Onuaku
PF - Anderson, DMo, Beasley, Harrell, Wiltjer
SF - Ariza, Dekker, Brewer
SG - Harden, Gordon, McDaniels
PG - Beverley, Prigioni, Payton, Taylor

Even with this ugly roster, some things are going to need to happen for Wiltjer make the final 15. DMo who I think is still unsigned is going to need to remain that way (or they do a sign and trade and ship him out) or someone like Beasley (guaranteed deal) is going to need to be cut (waived). Or else someone needs to get hurt.
Taylor. Wiltjer. Payton are the likely cuts - none have guaranteed deals. There are still rumors of the Rockets looking for trades, so that could clear some space.

If I was a betting man, I'd put major odds of Wiltjer starting on the Rio Grande Vipers - with injuries he may get some call up throughout the year.

Mild improvement in Wiltjers prospects of making the Rockets with Michael Beasly traded away to the Bucks. I think he still needs D-Mo to hold out and get traded.

willandi
09-25-2016, 06:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/rockets/roster

First time that his name is mentioned on the official roster. He is the 17th and there is no photo, but up until now, there wasn't even that.

Of course I don't check EVERY day! LOL

ZaGranny
10-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Rockets vs. Shanghai Sharks

Wiltjer got in in the second half and was impressing the announcers. He looked good.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
10-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Nice outing for Kyle. Box score: http://scores.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899175

10 points and 3 rebounds in 9 minutes, with two threes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8B0NRo93yQ

Mojo13
10-03-2016, 10:41 AM
In a nice turn of events for Kyle - Donatas Motiejunas let the $4.4 million qualifying offer from the Rockets expire yesterday.
He is one step closer to another team signing him (maybe). Still odds are that he remains with the Rockets on a lower 1 year offer, but the chances have increased for him to return to Europe or have another team scoop him up.

If that happens Kyle would have a much better shot at making the Rockets.

Mojo13
10-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Another good game by Kyle yesterday. 15 points (6/13) in 25 minutes - 3/7 from three with 5 rebounds and block. Dare I say he is playing his way onto a roster spot? Unfortunately his horrendous defense and weak rebounding is on full display as well.

Yet, his shooting and offensive BBall IQ is undeniable and I am starting to come around to the idea of Wiltjer having a place in the league.
Perhaps with the Rockets he needs D-Mo to continue to hold out (and/or be traded) - but Wiltjer he is making the most of his opportunity and could be useful elsewhere.

While Wiltjer's a soft big to be sure, he is a big. He is a stretch 4. So in the universe of NBA stretch 4's, you're not talking about a ton of really good volume shooters. More importantly, to the extent there are other stretch 4s out there that can just shoot... those guys are on other teams already and you can't just pick and choose who you want, when you want. The Rockets had to sign Ryan Anderson, oft injured, also very poor at rebounding and defense, to $20 million a year contract because he was finally available.

Witljer has a very valuable NBA skill set despite his shortcomings. The Rockets might not keep Wiltjer because he redundant to Anderson - but it seems he could stick around on NBA rosters for a while, until he proves he can either be just not terrible enough defensively and rebounding to get minor role player minutes, or until the NBA realizes he isn't capable of that and he goes overseas and does well.

Mojo13
10-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Wiltjer hanging on by the skin of his teeth.

The Rockets released guard Isaiah Taylor, on Sunday - they now have 18 players on the roster.
P.J. Hairston, who like Taylor did not travel with the Rockets on the trip to China, is also unlikely to make the final roster - they seem to be holding onto him long enough to make sure they would have his NBA Development rights.

That leaves Tyler Ennis, Gary Payton II and Bobby Brown vying for a roster spot as a third point guard.

Unless the Rockets keep two additional guards, a roster spot could go to Wiltjer, depending on a potential resolution on the contract stalemate with forward Donatas Motiejunas.

sittingon50
10-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the update, Mojo.

Mojo13
10-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Wiltjer made the Rockets opening day roster. Way to go! The only downside is you got our boy, Tyler Ennis cut (or Bobby Brown did). I'll guess Ennis will land somewhere. He should be able to help some NBA team.

anyways, per KW, lets hope that D-Mo contract never gets resolved. He has had a pretty good preseason. Shooting well over 40% for threes.

Edit: Rockets changed course on Ennis and waived Prigoni instead. Smart move and we now have a new Team Canada in the NBA with two of our boys on the same squad!

willandi
11-14-2016, 05:49 PM
The Rockets sent rookie Kyle Wiltjer to their affiliate in Rio Grande Valley, tweets Jonathan Feigen of The Houston Chronicle. He has seen just six minutes of action in three games with Houston.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/houston-rockets

Mojo13
11-15-2016, 08:19 AM
The Rockets sent rookie Kyle Wiltjer to their affiliate in Rio Grande Valley, tweets Jonathan Feigen of The Houston Chronicle. He has seen just six minutes of action in three games with Houston.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/houston-rockets

Good thing for Kyle. a chance to continue working on his game. There are obvious pros/cons with being the last guy on a NBA bench or alternative down in the D. Hopefully he bounces back an forth all season and soaks up the superior coaching, practice time and learning from vets with Houston and takes full advantage of the game time in Rio Grande. Seen many borderline guys take everything they can from the same experience and turn themselves into legit NBA role players. Usually it is the really hungry guys with a tremendous work ethic (Dwight Powell, Cory Joseph come to mind as far as Canadians go).

Jstock12
11-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Good thing for Kyle. a chance to continue working on his game. There are obvious pros/cons with being the last guy on a NBA bench or alternative down in the D. Hopefully he bounces back an forth all season and soaks up the superior coaching, practice time and learning from vets with Houston and takes full advantage of the game time in Rio Grande. Seen many borderline guys take everything they can from the same experience and turn themselves into legit NBA role players. Usually it is the really hungry guys with a tremendous work ethic (Dwight Powell, Cory Joseph come to mind as far as Canadians go).

Not to mention it's a good chance to up his trade value - perhaps scouts of some other teams will get interested in him as well.

vandalzag
11-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Not a bad first game
le
Wiltjer
18 F 40 12-21 6-12 3-3 24 0 11 11 2 1 0 1 0 0 33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUw6qMLH1HM

Jstock12
11-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Not a bad first game
le
Wiltjer
18 F 40 12-21 6-12 3-3 24 0 11 11 2 1 0 1 0 0 33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUw6qMLH1HM

Such a pure natural shooter. That three at 0:25 is bonkers.

Mojo13
12-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Rockets match D-Mo's offer from the Knicks. Bobby Brown waived. Kyle likely spends most of his time this year in the D.

ZagNative
12-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Olynyk's Celtics vs. Wiltjer's Rockets can be seen at 5:00 on NBA TV tonight.

Fellas spotted sitting before the game ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy80TDuVQAIvyT6.jpg

sittingon50
12-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Great photo, Native. Thanks for that!

ZagNative
12-14-2016, 10:18 AM
From twitter:
RGV Vipers Retweeted
Houston Rockets ‏@HoustonRockets

Roster Update: Rockets recall Kyle Wiltjer from @RGVVipers.

buenaparkzag
12-14-2016, 11:25 AM
That is very good news, indeed.

willandi
12-14-2016, 12:21 PM
From twitter:

That is very good news, indeed.

It will be good news if the coach actually puts him in the game!

He has shown that he can do it in D league, and I have no doubt he can do it in the NBA...but only if he sees the floor.

ZagNative
12-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Hey, cool! Wiltj got in the game for 6 minutes and got 7 points, plus 2 rebounds, as the Rockets take the Kings 132-98.

Boy, I wish they would keep him in Houston for a while and give him more minutes.

Box Score (http://scores.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899822)

willandi
12-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Hey, cool! Wiltj got in the game for 6 minutes and got 7 points, plus 2 rebounds, as the Rockets take the Kings 132-98.

Boy, I wish they would keep him in Houston for a while and give him more minutes.

Box Score (http://scores.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899822)

Yeah! A game last week, up by 30 with 5 minutes left and they STILL wouldn't put him in. He needs the chance. If the coach won't do it, the owner needs to encourage it...at least a little.

ZagNative
01-13-2017, 02:11 PM
From Twitter:

Houston Rockets Verified account ‏@HoustonRockets

Roster Update: Rockets recall Kyle Wiltjer from @RGVVipers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2EBW5-UsAAGvO4.jpg

buenaparkzag
01-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Good for him. Go Kyle! Go Rockets!

willandi
01-30-2017, 02:31 PM
I haven't seen anything on Kyle. He is listed as on the Rockets, but not one of the 13 playing. It almost seems like the owners said to keep him on the Rockets and the coach doesn't want to play him.

Anybody else hear anything?

Mojo13
01-31-2017, 09:40 AM
I haven't seen anything on Kyle. He is listed as on the Rockets, but not one of the 13 playing. It almost seems like the owners said to keep him on the Rockets and the coach doesn't want to play him.

Anybody else hear anything?

I am not sure what your expectations were for Kyle this year, but it seems clear from the contract he signed that he was going to be up and down to the D-league all year, and be more of a practice player / emergency back-up when with the Rockets. The Rockets are relatively healthy at this time so their is no obvious way for him to see minutes.

This is the common first year for many undrafted players, second rounders or late first round picks. They just are not ready (or needed) for minutes in the NBA. The Rockets have shown just enough interest in Kyle to keep him locked to their organization for at least 1 year (and maybe 2) to see how he develops. He will develop better by getting some game experience in the D and then sometimes being with the team to get better coaching and training and to see games live, rather than stay in the D-league long term.

NBA teams historically have been only able to do this with 1 or 2 players on their roster so they need to be careful and selective. The new CBA will expand the number of players they can protect and bring up and down from the D. So more guys will be handled like Kyle going forward.

Basically the Rockets are saying, he might be a legit NBA player (but isn't right now) and we are willing to make a small bet to see what he can become.

It is on Kyle to take the opportunity and run with - he is actually in a great spot as many NBA organizations are not this attentive to developing fringe talents. As I said before, I follow the Canadian kids closely. Cory Joseph was treated exactly like this in his first two years (although he was a late first rounder and the Spurs were more committed with a guaranteed three year deal) and it worked well for him. Dwight Powell (late 2nd round pick) spent his first two years up and down in the D as well with the Celtics and Mavs. Through real hard work he has now carved out a solid rotational role with the Mavs.

I think Kyle is in a good spot as any to develop towards a consistent role on an NBA team (I think he has a good shot to do it). If in a year or two it doesn't work out, he will be off to Europe to make $1M a year (equivalent).

My opinion anyways,

Mojo13
01-31-2017, 10:05 AM
here is a mid season report card from the Dream Shake (SB Nation blog) on Kyle:
http://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/1/13/14260632/houston-rockets-midseason-grades-james-harden-mike-dantoni

Kyle Wiltjer: “The Water Fountain” (yes that’s his nickname and yes you will hear this forever) has been better than expected for Houston and in his time on the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. He has 10 points, 7 rebounds and 1 block in 29 minutes of NBA action (all 10 of his shot attempts have been three-pointers) and is scoring 20.8 points on 39 percent shooting from deep. He has one job, and he does it well. I remain unconvinced that he can come remotely close to playing NBA defense. Grade: C+ -Ethan Rothstein

ZagNative
01-31-2017, 12:54 PM
Saw a tweet yesterday to the effect that Kyle has been sent to the D-League team again.

willandi
01-31-2017, 06:03 PM
I would prefer that Kyle be with the Vipers and play. It has seemed strange to me that they have called him up to not even make the game roster for 5-6 games, then send him down again.

'The Rockets have assigned rookie forward Kyle Wiltjer to the D-League, the team announced today (via Twitter). Wiltjer had been with the NBA club for the last two and a half weeks, but has been inactive in each of Houston’s games, so he should get a chance to play with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.'

ZagNative
03-09-2017, 01:43 PM
From twitter:

Jonathan Feigen‏Verified account @Jonathan_Feigen

As expected, Rockets recalled Kyle Wiltjer from the Vipers in the D-League. Had to be up to 12 active players by today.

Bogozags
04-01-2017, 06:08 PM
From twitter:

Great news...hopefully Kyle will get some decent minutes AND can make something out of them...