PDA

View Full Version : Zags Camp --Players Scrimmage Tonight 10pm

Zagdawg
06-21-2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks to ZagsGuru for the heads up -- it sounds like the guys are going to scrimmage tonight after camp at 10pm.

It also sounds like Kamaka Hepa is here also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgrbv1I0EeA

thespywhozaggedme
06-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Please, please, please give a recap for us out of towners. Thanks

NotoriousZ
06-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Is this a closed doors scrimmage?

Zagdawg
06-21-2016, 03:52 PM
We need the super secret hand shake and access code to check the guys out.

Zagdawg
06-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Players on hand:

Sacre
Dickau
Perkins
Bell
Dranginis
Melson
Jones
Stepp
Williams
Raivio
Rui
Hepa (only camper to run with the Zags)
Edwards
Goss
Barham

Typical scrimmage --not a lot of defense -- but it was good to see the guys back together.

A few things that I noticed--

Started out a bit rusty --couple of missed dunks/layup---but got better as they progressed -- played about an hour and 15 mins.

Edwards was battling Sacre -- Edwards looked like he had some more confidence and had a couple of decent feeds from Perkins/Goss for some finishes.

Sacre was talking up a storm as usual.

Three point shooting from Perkins, Goss, Melson, Bell and Raivio looked good-- shooting with confidence and hitting a good percentage.

Williams was there but did not play-- I did not see anything wrong with him physically (that I could tell from a distance)-- he did seem to be stretching out his legs as he was sitting on the sideline watching.

Raivio still has this speed --but Goss got by him a couple of times driving to the hoop.

Perkins and Goss are going to work well together-- both were attacking the basket--finishing through contact, setting up their teammates and doing a good job scoring from three.

Hepa was working against Jones-- still has some developing to do (more strength/bulking up also) --but not afraid to mix it up inside to grab some boards (seemed to defer to the older guys rather than taking too many shots)-- was probably a bit tired also --he probably had played 2 games already with his high school team that day.

Jones had a few good finishes.

Rui was working hard-- looks a legit 6'8" --had the final basket to win one game.

Overall the guys looked pretty good for an early off season scrimmage and there were no injuries.

ZAG 4 LIFE
06-22-2016, 07:07 AM
Players on hand:

Sacre
Dickau
Perkins
Bell
Dranginis
Melson
Jones
Stepp
Williams
Raivio
Rui
Edwards
Goss
Barham

Typical scrimmage --not a lot of defense -- but it was good to see the guys back together.

Started out a bit rusty --couple of missed dunks/layup---but got better as they progressed -- played about an hour and 15 mins.

Edwards was battling Sacre -- Edwards looked like he had some more confidence and had a couple of decent feeds from Perkins/Goss for some finishes.

Three point shooting from Perkins, Goss, Melson, Bell and Raivio looked good-- shooting with confidence and hitting a good percentage.

Williams was there but did not play-- I did not see anything wrong with him physically (that I could tell from a distance)-- he did seem to be stretching out his legs as he was sitting on the sideline watching.

Raivio still has this speed --but Goss got by him a couple of times driving to the hoop.

Perkins and Goss are going to work well together-- both were attacking the basket--finishing through contact, setting up their teammates and doing a good job scoring from three.

Hepa was working against Jones-- still has some developing to do (more strength/bulking up also) --but not afraid to mix it up inside to grab some boards (seemed to defer to the older guys rather than taking too many shots)-- was probably a bit tired also --he probably had played 2 games already with his high school team that day.

Rui was working hard-- looks a legit 6'8" --had the final basket to win one game.

Overall the guys looked pretty good for an early off season scrimmage and there were no injuries.

Thanks for this recap Dawg... Very much appreciated!

thespywhozaggedme
06-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Players on hand:

Sacre
Dickau
Perkins
Bell
Dranginis
Melson
Jones
Stepp
Williams
Raivio
Rui
Edwards
Goss
Barham

Thanks so much! Huge that Hepa was running with the current/former players. Also, great to hear about NWG and Perk feeding off of one another. I guess there were no lingering eg issues with NWG? Again, thanks so much!

Zagdawg
06-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Here is a little taste of the action-- towards the end --guys were a bit gassed and vid is a bit shaky (apologize).

https://youtu.be/UnSd8unuo7E

Rui with a good seal and finish and NWG with some nice shooting.

Bogozags
06-22-2016, 08:57 AM
Here is a little taste of the action-- towards the end --guys were a bit gassed and vid is a bit shaky (apologize).

THANK YOU!

Coach Crazy
06-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Rui with a good seal and finish and NWG with some nice shooting.

NWG's knee looks healed.

NotoriousZ
06-22-2016, 09:16 AM
Thanks Zagdawg! Would you say that Edwards and Sacre was an even battle? That would shake things up s bit here on the 'Boards. Assumung Shem's healthy, Edwards and Collins could be competing for minutes.

Zagdawg
06-22-2016, 09:23 AM
I would not say that it was an even battle -- Sacre was taking it easy (not working too hard most of the time)-- but Ryan had some flashes-- one turn around hook was really nice.

Zagdawg
06-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Reasons Alberts and Karnowski were not there-- family time!

BRYAN ALBERTS ‏@bryan_a_alberts 48m48 minutes ago
Enjoying family time in the Netherlands!

Przemek Karnowski ‏@PKarnowski Jun 21 Warsaw, Poland
Had a chance to meet and watch Polish Soccer National team game against Ukraine with Polish… https://www.instagram.com/p/BG7O2CRm4Ja/

ZagNative
06-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Zagdawg, thank you so much for the report. The posts from folks who watch the old zags at summer camp scrimmages are one of summer's hghlights for me.

OZZY
06-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Zagdawg, thank you so much for the report. The posts from folks who watch the old zags at summer camp scrimmages are one of summer's hghlights for me.

Yes couldn't agree more ZN, it is not like I'm going to drop by myself!

:)

Bogozags
06-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Are the guys still playing in the evenings or are they through for the summer?

Thanks...

amaronizag
06-27-2016, 02:36 PM
A new basketball camp started last night and runs through Wednesday night, so I would imagine there will be some scrimmage action this week. That's just a guess.

raise the zag
06-27-2016, 02:47 PM
NWG's knee looks healed.

never had any issue/injury with his knee(s).

Coach Crazy
06-27-2016, 02:58 PM
never had any issue/injury with his knee(s).

Right. Ankle. My bad.

ZagOD7540
06-28-2016, 08:26 AM
I had the opportunity to watch the last couple of scrimmages. I will tell everyone right now that Zach Norvell is going to be a special player for us. He will be the freshman/newcomer of year in the WCC. He is a thick, well built, athletic kid. He is very aggressive and does not shy away from contact. He has great range and has fantastic vision on the court. Last night he had some incredible dishes to Sacre. Shot the ball extremely well on Sunday night.

Zach Collins looked terrific. Very smooth on the court and has great size. He shot the ball great Sunday night and had some nice blocks. He has a nice mid range jumper and drilled a 3 last night. Both him and Norvell look like returning players. Hard to believe that they both just finished high school. These 2 aren't the typical recruit. Hopefully GU will continue this trend. These 2 will be special.

Rui is pretty raw. He will need some time to figure things out. He is a nice looking player.

Cory Kispert played both nights with the boys and looked very impressive. He had a couple of dunks. One was an alley-oop from Stockton. Last night he drilled some 3s and checked Sacre down low with a nice block. Hard to believe he is only going to be a senior in high school!

Extremely impressed with Norvell. He played with no fear or hesitation out there. He was one of the best players on the court both nights.

Reborn
06-28-2016, 08:46 AM
I had the opportunity to watch the last couple of scrimmages. I will tell everyone right now that Zach Norvell is going to be a special player for us. He will be the freshman/newcomer of year in the WCC. He is a thick, well built, athletic kid. He is very aggressive and does not shy away from contact. He has great range and has fantastic vision on the court. Last night he had some incredible dishes to Sacre. Shot the ball extremely well on Sunday night.

Zach Collins looked terrific. Very smooth on the court and has great size. He shot the ball great Sunday night and had some nice blocks. He has a nice mid range jumper and drilled a 3 last night. Both him and Norvell look like returning players. Hard to believe that they both just finished high school. These 2 aren't the typical recruit. Hopefully GU will continue this trend. These 2 will be special.

Rui is pretty raw. He will need some time to figure things out. He is a nice looking player.

Cory Kispert played both nights with the boys and looked very impressive. He had a couple of dunks. One was an alley-oop from Stockton. Last night he drilled some 3s and checked Sacre down low with a nice block. Hard to believe he is only going to be a senior in high school!

Extremely impressed with Norvell. He played with no fear or hesitation out there. He was one of the best players on the court both nights.

Love this report. Thanks. I'm excited, as usual. lol

GoZags
06-28-2016, 08:46 AM

Out of curiosity (and not trying to be a smark alec) ... which Stockton?

LongIslandZagFan
06-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Out of curiosity (and not trying to be a smark alec) ... which Stockton?

Funny... was wondering the same exact thing.

ZagOD7540
06-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Funny... was wondering the same exact thing.

David

zag buddy
06-28-2016, 09:08 AM
Good analysis Zag DD. I also was there. I thought the three best looking players were Collins, Norvell and Krispert. Kispert is quite developed muscularly. I'm guessing 6'7" or so. All 3 played with good basketball acumen and I guess the best way to describe them is "polished". Collins looked shorter than Edwards by a couple inches to me. But he's definitely is a player. He definitely is thin but then it's like a weasel, it may be thin but you do not want to antagonize it. I don't think you can keep Norvell off the floor, he is going to get his playing time. Rui also will play. He was the most aggressive player on the court, it appears to be his mentality and nature extremely athletic and an above the rim player. It is hard to analyse defense in such a setting but all appeared to play hard.Ryan Edwards was the only one to play all 4 sets, 15 min each. He has lost the baby fat he came in with but is still developing in that area. He is a player that every year he plays he gets better. He doesn't make jumps in his developement but makes a smooth transition each year. I really can't tell what his ceiling is. He's a miler not a sprinter but by the end of the game he will wear you down. If he can add a passion to be the best center in the land he might do it. His work effort and stamina I would not question. His team whoever was playing won every set. With Sacre toutering him it has to be a good thing. He shot a lot and from many different areas and was adequate. He will get playing time. Tough night shooting for Melson but he played hard. He is a conundrum to me in that I believe he makes a higher percentage of his shots when shooting spontaneously that when he has time to think about it. If I were his coach I would have him shoot hundreds of 3 pointers a day with the last 50 with his eyes closed to learn to feel the shot and not see the shot. My mantra to Melson would be feel the shot, feel the shot. To feel the shot involves the 5 senses while seeing the shot uses only the eyeyes and brain. Some of the old dogs were Dickau, Stockton. Brown, Barham, Sacre and Draganis. Norvell, Krispert, and Collins will be a great pairing in the future.All the coaches were in attendance. One of the advantages of these scrimmages is you will definitely run yourself into shape.

MDABE80
06-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Pretty rosey report. I hope these new kids are everything the report says! Krispert is going to be spectacular. Built like a tank. Good athlete and a deadeye. Seems to understand the game pretty well for a HS Jr or a college Soph.
It's going to be a wild next few years.

TexasZagFan
06-28-2016, 09:40 AM
Pretty rosey report. I hope these new kids are everything the report says! Krispert is going to be spectacular. Built like a tank. Good athlete and a deadeye. Seems to understand the game pretty well for a HS Jr or a college Soph.
It's going to be a wild next few years.

Who's Krispert? :lmao:

Abe, that's a special talent you have. You're awesome with names, almost Stengelese in nature.

Long ago, I developed a talent for translating into German a few of our off-beat nouns, such as "ladykiller". It wasn't all that great, but I'd get a free beer out of it every now and then. BTW, ladykiller = damentotschlager.

ZagOD7540
06-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Let's get it right...it's Kispert.

sonuvazag
06-28-2016, 09:43 AM
"Uh, that would be the inventor of Krispy Kreme" --Cliff Clavin

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 09:46 AM

He's the kid we recruited when we couldn't get guys like Bailey and Leaf :argh: . All joking aside, if he turns into a higher-scoring Dranginis-type, then the more the merrier. As much as I would love to be like "Told ya so" about Rui, Zack, and Zach, it will be interesting to see how it translates to regular season ball.

If it does? You might just see the most 15-20 wins in the history of the program. And SMC will be fighting to stay out of 3rd.

TexasZagFan
06-28-2016, 09:47 AM
"Uh, that would be the inventor of Krispy Kreme" --Cliff Clavin

Krispy Kreme hat immer gut geschmekt!!!

TexasZagFan
06-28-2016, 09:48 AM
He's the kid we recruited when we couldn't get guys like Bailey and Leaf :argh: . All joking aside, if he turns into a higher-scoring Dranginis-type, then the more the merrier. As much as I would love to be like "Told ya so" about Rui, Zack, and Zach, it will be interesting to see how it translates to regular season ball.

If it does? You might just see the most 15-20 wins in the history of the program. And SMC will be fighting to stay out of 3rd.

Please translate the bolded sentence.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Please translate the bolded sentence.

Crap. 15-20 *point* wins. Lo siento, bro's.

TexasZagFan
06-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Crap. 15-20 *point* wins. Lo siento, bro's.

That's what I thought. I'm up for that, last year was rough on the ol' ticker.

Kein problem, es macht nichts.

Salsageek
06-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Will there be another scrimmage tonight? I should be able to make it.

zag buddy
06-28-2016, 10:33 AM
I will edit my post at the bottom of page one thru out the day.

ZagNative
06-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Fun, fun reports! Thanks, guys!

maynard g krebs
06-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the reports. When I saw Kispert at Bellevue College in the Premier League a few weeks ago, it was my impression that he was good enough to play and contribute to the Zags this season.

MDABE80
06-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Watch out you guys . I might go back to "Jenks";)

raise the zag
06-28-2016, 11:48 AM
He's the kid we recruited when we couldn't get guys like Bailey and Leaf :argh:.

Fwiw, Collins reportedly dominated Leaf in McDonald AA scrimmages & practices. Heard from (2) separate sources & 1 former College coach.

As in if they were on the same team, Leaf would be coming off the bench to relieve Collins.

That said, I hear Leaf may play a different position at Zona than he was asked/forced to play in McAA game.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Fwiw, Collins reportedly dominated Leaf in McDonald AA scrimmages & practices. Heard from (2) separate sources & 1 former College coach.

I am of the opinion that TJ Leaf is talented but was rated too high, and I have said online at least once that I would take Collins over Leaf. What you are saying does not surprise me, at all. Collins was rated far too low.

raise the zag
06-28-2016, 11:55 AM
I am of the opinion that TJ Leaf is talented but was rated too high, and I have said online at least once that I would take Collins over Leaf. What you are saying does not surprise me, at all. Collins was rated far too low.

Rumblings about moving Leaf to small forward. Leaf will be much like Wiltjer in my opinion. Super skilled, nice touch, yet will take time to play physical & mix it up inside given size.

All Collins needs is more muscle.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 11:55 AM
That said, I hear Leaf may play a different position at Zona than he was asked/forced to play at McAA game.

He could play 3 and stretch 4.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Rumblings about moving Leaf to small forward. Leaf will be much like Wiltjer in my opinion. Super skilled, nice touch, yet will take time to play physical & mix it up inside given size.

All Collins needs is more muscle.

We're on the same page, with this one.

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Man these reports get me so fired up! Between Zach squared, Corey, Rui and Jesse, we've got blue blood blue chips.

raise the zag
06-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Where will Norvell play?!

An abundance of riches.

Will be tough to keep all this talent happy & engaged.

Norvell, for instance, has stated in every interview he expects to make an immediate impact and play heavy minutes.

I don't doubt he can...but where?

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 12:09 PM

An abundance of riches.

Norvell, for instance, has stated in every interview he expects to make an immediate impact and play heavy minutes.

I genuinely see him competing with Silas for minutes and backing up the 2 and 3. That means you'll have NWG/Josh/The Future President of the United States at 1,2 and 3. Of all this talk, though? We haven't heard anything about Larsen. And I hate not having tape on someone. If he is as built and athletic looking as someone messaged me about...I want to see him play. I was under the impression he would be a bit less athletic, a bit more mechanical, and muscle-bound center who was a bit short for his position.

madness
06-28-2016, 12:10 PM

An abundance of riches.

Great point. I wonder if Jordan Mathews made it clear that he would be happy coming off the bench to spell both SG and SF? Automatic offense coming in and allowing Norvell to matchup with taller SFs?

Possible starters:

Perk
NWG
Norvell
Collins (pending Karno health)
Williams

Instant offense/defense off the bench: Melson+Mathews

wow

jchocolate99
06-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Loving the reports... thanks to all that are helping to keep us eager fans informed of what is transpiring at the scrimmages. Has JW3 scrimmaged yet? Remember someone saying he was sitting them out.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 12:47 PM

As in if they were on the same team, Leaf would be coming off the bench to relieve Collins.

That said, I hear Leaf may play a different position at Zona than he was asked/forced to play in McAA game.

Leaf, UCLA.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Ok, reality check.

Matthews ain't sitting. And I do love the POTUS nickname. To go with KP as POC.

Collins ain't sitting. He's better than Karno right now and that gap will only grow.

Norvell will play, a lot. Few didn't go to a new and fertile recruiting territory to have the kid wile away of the bench.

Melsons minutes are up for grabs.

zag buddy
06-28-2016, 01:02 PM
In my experience the last day of the camps ends earlier than the previous days thus no scrimmage that I've found.

zag67
06-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Jazz, I will agree that none of those players will be sitting and all of them will have major minutes.
Mathews, William Goss and Perkins will have major time at the 1,2, and 3. But Melson and Norvell will get time and depending on development will get minutes. Alberts might not get major minutes, but he will be getting major practice time to prepare for his last 2 years.
Collins is good, but Karno adds more leadership to a team that will need it. Therefore both of them will be getting major minutes. Williams is going to be a wildcard in this group. Edwards and the rest will be fighting for time.
This could be the most fun team to watch we have ever had. We have the three point shooters. We have the bigs and we have players that have hops. Few and staff are going to have a major job mixing, matching, and keeping players happy with playing time. Good chemistry will be a major key to this group.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Jazz, I will agree that none of those players will be sitting and all of them will have major minutes.
Mathews, William Goss and Perkins will have major time at the 1,2, and 3. But Melson and Norvell will get time and depending on development will get minutes. Alberts might not get major minutes, but he will be getting major practice time to prepare for his last 2 years.
Collins is good, but Karno adds more leadership to a team that will need it. Therefore both of them will be getting major minutes. Williams is going to be a wildcard in this group. Edwards and the rest will be fighting for time.
This could be the most fun team to watch we have ever had. We have the three point shooters. We have the bigs and we have players that have hops. Few and staff are going to have a major job mixing, matching, and keeping players happy with playing time. Good chemistry will be a major key to this group.

67, ok but only 200 m to go around. Someone gets cut back. They can't all get "major" minutes.

webspinnre
06-28-2016, 02:31 PM
67, ok but only 200 m to go around. Someone gets cut back. They can't all get "major" minutes.

Have we had the minutes thread yet? Early stab at it, I'd guess something like:

Perkins - 30
NWG - 28
Mathews - 28
Melson - 16
Norvell - 16
JWIII - 28
Collins - 24
PK - 22

Then you end up with Edwards, Tillie, Jones, Alberts picking up the extra minutes, and Larson and Hachimara redshirting.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 02:38 PM

Perkins - 30
NWG - 28
Mathews - 28
Melson - 16
Norvell - 16
JWIII - 28
Collins - 24
PK - 22

Then you end up with Edwards, Tillie, Jones, Alberts picking up the extra minutes, and Larson and Hachimara redshirting.

Good stab, Spin. So much can change, but Collins looks low, as do Goss and Norvell. I'm thinking the triad guards get 32 each, give or take. That's the heart of the team. And not sure about Rui shirting.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Good stab, Spin. So much can change, but Collins looks low, as do Goss and Norvell. I'm thinking the triad guards get 32 each, give or take. That's the heart of the team. And not sure about Rui shirting.

I am more with your line of thinking on this, for the most part. I wouldn't mind seeing Perkins, NWG, and Mathews all get 28, and see Collins at 20-25 and Norvell at around 20. With PK and J3 around 24 or 25 each. So much balance. Ridiculous.

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2016, 03:24 PM
2017-18 is gonna be SICK:

PG: Perkins, Wade
SG: Norvell, Melson
SF: Kispert, Tillie
PF: Rui,Larsen
C: Collins, Edwards

That team is flat out stacked!

GonzaGAW
06-28-2016, 03:39 PM

Perkins - 30
NWG - 28
Mathews - 28
Melson - 16
Norvell - 16
JWIII - 28
Collins - 24
PK - 22

I agree this is possible.
I'd throw in a couple of thoughts, 1. like norvell, rui has said he does not plan on red shirting, but play as a true freshman. 2. with the wealth of depth we have at guard I doubt we see three guards putting up 28-30 minutes. 3. Edwards didn't get minutes last year when we were thin, I don't expect many minutes this year. 4. few can go with a 10 man rotation but I just do not see anything beyond that, so i think Larsen, Tillie redshirt, and albert will see mop up minutes on blow outs.

jp 28
nwg 26
Matthews 26
norvell 14
melson 14
rui 12
Edwards 6
pk 22
Collins 24
jw111 28
total 200

vandalzag
06-28-2016, 03:39 PM

If the depth is true they will not have to play more than 30 minutes. Last year with zero depth in the front court DS and KW averaged 34 and 32. Only way NWG and Perkins average over 30 a game is if the bench is void of answers. I would be overjoyed if PK can average 20 minutes a game, but there should be no need given the depth. I agree that Collins will see a bunch of time early on.

Billfish'80
06-28-2016, 03:43 PM

Spy, I believe we will still have NWG and JWIII in 2017-18 as well, so even better than you were thinking.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 03:49 PM

No Goss or Williams?

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Spy, I believe we will still have NWG and JWIII in 2017-18 as well, so even better than you were thinking.

Really? I thought this was their only year?!?! Holy Cow add those two to the roster that I put out and.......

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2016, 04:05 PM
No Goss or Williams?

Didn't realize they were returning. '17 just may be our best team EVER!!

zagsfanforlife
06-28-2016, 04:13 PM
Didn't realize they were returning. '17 just may be our best team EVER!!

This year wont be too shabby.

Goshzagit
06-28-2016, 04:37 PM
NWG expecting to go pro after this season.

This from his family, not Nigel himself.

I've always felt he wasn't athletic enough to play in NBA, but his passing, play making, ball handling are blue chip.

I liken Williams-Goss to Tyus Jones from Duke. Similar game & limitations.

JWIII will return.

Collins, in scouting circles is highly thought of...much like 6'11" Euro bigs who are skilled, tough, handle, bang, shoot.

He could potentially be a one-on-done on upside alone. Even if he plays limited minutes or scores under 10ppg. He's being watched closely, esp in the wake of Sabonis presence & ability.

I don't feel Collins will score a ton but I do think there is a good chance he goes pro. Even better chance than NWG, IMHO.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 04:47 PM
NWG expecting to go pro after this season.

This from his family, not Nigel himself.

I've always felt he wasn't athletic enough to play in NBA, but his passing, play making, ball handling are blue chip.

I liken Williams-Goss to Tyus Jones from Duke. Similar game & limitations.

JWIII will return.

Collins, in scouting circles is highly thought of...much like 6'11" Euro bigs who are skilled, tough, handle, bang, shoot.

He could potentially be a one-on-done on upside alone. Even if he plays limited minutes or scores under 10ppg. He's being watched closely, esp in the wake of Sabonis presence & ability.

I don't feel Collins will score a ton but I do think there is a good chance he goes pro. Even better chance than NWG, IMHO.

Agree, Gosh. ZC is 1 and gawn.

Bogozags
06-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Ok, reality check.

Matthews ain't sitting. And I do love the POTUS nickname. To go with KP as POC.

Collins ain't sitting. He's better than Karno right now and that gap will only grow.

Norvell will play, a lot. Few didn't go to a new and fertile recruiting territory to have the kid wile away of the bench.

Melsons minutes are up for grabs.

Jazz

Karno is a 5th year senior and that starting spot (if he is ready to play when the season begins) is his to lose. As we all know Few loves his seniors especially Karno who is returning after a serious injury. Collins does possess more skills than PK when he was a freshman BUT PK has three years of experience and knows Few's systems like the back of your hand. IMO, if he remains healthy he starts and Zach comes off the bench...won't happen any other way...

Goshzagit
06-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Jazz

Karno is a 5th year senior and that starting spot (if he is ready to play when the season begins) is his to lose. As we all know Few loves his seniors especially Karno who is returning after a serious injury. Collins does possess more skills than PK when he was a freshman BUT PK has three years of experience and knows Few's systems like the back of your hand. IMO, if he remains healthy he starts and Zach comes off the bench...won't happen any other way...

Agree with this...kinda like Sabonis as a frosh.

Collins is arriving at the right time. Minutes & PT is up for grabs.

He is good enough right now to start, really on ANY team in NCAA, yet JWIII is far more seasoned & Karno has become like a coach on the floor. He gets it. Can't replicate his passing either.

Collins will get a ton of minutes. Most likely follow in Sabonis' steps. Go pro after taking the starting role. All this depends on Karno's health of course.

Unlike Norvell, who wants & expects major PT, Collins had been interviewed as stating he expects nothing & will play as all long as it takes to make an impact & earn his way to the league.

Different mindset, not bad or good, yet Collins realizes everything is earned, not given, in practice, not recruiting rankings.

As good as Norvell will be, he's been candid about getting early PT, whole Collins said he'll find his role when hr gets the chance.

Zagdawg
06-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Collins gets it -- backed up a couple of great players at Gorman -- he knows how to grow his game, get used to college and he will be ready when needed.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Jazz

Few loves winning more. He won't be able to "manage" ZC's minutes to keep him off NBA draft boards like he tried to do with Sabonis year one and KO his last year. Collins is saying all the right things, good for him. But he will have his eye on minutes from day one, IMO.

AlwaysZagFan
06-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Few loves winning more. He won't be able to "manage" ZC's minutes to keep him off NBA draft boards like he tried to do with Sabonis year one and KO his last year. Collins is saying all the right things, good for him. But he will have his eye on minutes from day one, IMO.

Do you think the guys will be scrimmaging tonight - Tuesday? Where do they scrimmage? We would like to watch. Time?

cggonzaga
06-28-2016, 06:23 PM
I am more with your line of thinking on this, for the most part. I wouldn't mind seeing Perkins, NWG, and Mathews all get 28, and see Collins at 20-25 and Norvell at around 20. With PK and J3 around 24 or 25 each. So much balance. Ridiculous.

Mostly agree with this but I'd have J3 closer to the 28-30 mark. Would also find it hard to believe Melson wouldn't at least get same minutes as last year which was around 22.

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2016, 08:39 PM
Collins gets it -- backed up a couple of great players at Gorman -- he knows how to grow his game, get used to college and he will be ready when needed.

And he was/is better than both of them

Zags11
06-28-2016, 08:50 PM
I'm just gonna enjoy the upcoming year.

Bogozags
06-29-2016, 02:31 AM

I believe one of the keys to coming to GU was to have the opportunity to play at the 4 at this level as he more than likely will fit that mold at the next level and JWIII will start at the 4. I'm not saying ZC won't get minutes at the 5 but I expect him to get minutes at both - playing when PK is on the floor and also with Edwards as well, when the opportunity arises.

I agree Coach Few wants to win but he will give his senior the opportunity to start IF he is healthy at the beginning of the season...if PK isn't healthy enough to start then ZC would most probably get the nod over Edwards...Am hoping PK is ready to go on day one, which would give us four players in the front court...lots of depth so we can play much more aggressively.

One last point, ZC has not played defence against any D1 opponents so it will be important to see how well he adjusts and the same can be said for Zach Norvell...

MileHigh
06-29-2016, 05:26 AM
The players were VERY impressed with Norvell. He will be in the main rotation come november, which makes the rotation at the 2 & 3 even murkier

If I had to guess at the approx minutes for the perimeter guys right now I would go with

PG--30 NWG, 10 JP
SG--20 JP, 16 Melson, 4 Norvell
SF--25 JM, 15 Norvell

raise the zag
06-29-2016, 06:03 AM
The players were VERY impressed with Norvell. He will be in the main rotation come november, which makes the rotation at the 2 & 3 even murkier

If I had to guess at the approx minutes for the perimeter guys right now I would go with

PG--30 NWG, 10 JP
SF--25 JM, 15 Norvell

Good to hear.

Always felt Norvell seemed our most underrated recruit, even thought he's ESPN Top 100. He seemed to dominate in Illinois, a bball mecca much like Indiana.

He scored 50+ pts in several AAU games as well, not to mention his HS coach calling him the most dynamic guard he's ever seen.

Pargo seems like a great comparison -- strong, tough, fearless, baller, passer. He's taller than JP yet not quite as quick either.

I keep hearing Melson is streaky in scrimmages just like games the past couple season. Plays hard, misses random shots, drifts away from offense, then turns around and makes a terrific defensive play, dunk, steal, and rebounds well. I see Norvell catching him by mid-season. I have a feeling it will take ZN some time to learn structure, offensive flex, organized play. He hasn't seen much of that in his playing days -- rather shoot, pass, score.

Once Norvell learns the offense, WATCH OUT!

zagsfanforlife
06-29-2016, 06:08 AM
Good to hear.

Always felt Norvell seemed our most underrated recruit, even thought he's ESPN Top 100. He seemed to dominate in Illinois, a bball mecca much like Indiana.

He scored 50+ pts in several AAU games as well, not to mention his HS coach calling him the most dynamic guard he's ever seen.

Pargo seems like a great comparison -- strong, tough, fearless, baller, passer. He's taller than JP yet not quite as quick either.

I keep hearing Melson is streaky in scrimmages just like games the past couple season. Plays hard, misses random shots, drifts away from offense, then turns around and makes a terrific defensive play, dunk, steal, and rebounds well. I see Norvell catching him by mid-season. I have a feeling it will take ZN some time to learn structure, offensive flex, organized play. He hasn't seen much of that in his playing days -- rather shoot, pass, score.

Once Norvell learns the offense, WATCH OUT!

As a guy who has been around numerous NBA players and trained many as well, watching Norvell in game tapes/film, he does things that are caliber of pro players. I worked out Tyler Dorsey of UO many times and there isnt much of a difference in skill set. Needless to say, I have high expectations. Now if Rui can contribute, and Zack Collins is all that is cracked up to be, watch out.

vandalzag
06-29-2016, 06:47 AM

Wow great post. Are you reading Few's mind again? I have yet to see where he has been quoted as saying he is limiting minutes to keep players off the NBA radar. Seems perfectly logical.

Virginia Zags Fan
06-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Attended the scrimmage last night. I will post more in a bit, but Zach N. is the real deal. What a smooth shot he has both inside and out. Wow!

My takeaway after last night is that all three guard positions will truly be able to create their own shots. Bigs can still be a focus, but they will not need to be THE focus this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
06-29-2016, 11:13 AM

PG--30 NWG, 10 JP
SF--25 JM, 15 Norvell

And the careful observer will yet again notice one name that is conspicuously absent.

zagsfanforlife
06-29-2016, 11:19 AM
And the careful observer will yet again notice one name that is conspicuously absent.

Lots of guys aren't mentioned. I just don't think Alberts will get much pt at all. 2-4 min maybe or in
Blowouts. Not better than the guys ahead of him and when you're a top 10 programs you just don't play the 9th or 10th guy much.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Wow great post. Are you reading Few's mind again? I have yet to see where he has been quoted as saying he is limiting minutes to keep players off the NBA radar. Seems perfectly logical.

Right, like MF would admit such. Think for yourself, Van. You might actually see something.

vandalzag
06-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Right, like MF would admit such. Think for yourself, Van. You might actually see something.

By think for myself you mean just make things up based on a delusional and bitter view of the world. That way I can emulate you and see things that do not exist and define them as reality. That sounds fascinating.

MDABE80
06-29-2016, 12:21 PM
By think for myself you mean just make things up based on a delusional and bitter view of the world. That way I can emulate you and see things that do not exist and define them as reality. That sounds fascinating.

Weak Van, very weak.. Stick to basketball. It's much better that way.

Mr Vulture
06-29-2016, 12:43 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!! The hype on this board is crazy sometimes. A few months back it was that Zach Collins was better across the board than Nikola Vucevic, a borderline NBA Allstar. Then you have all the one and done talk on here about a guy that isn't even in the Top 60 prospects lists for the 2017 NBA Draft...not to mention this upcoming draft is considered loaded. I love what I've seen of Collins but it is a big step from HS to College and College to the Pros. He will likely go to the NBA draft early, but it's not gonna be next year.

As for the minutes projection...the main minutes are pretty easy to figure out IMO. Here is how I am confident it will play out, barring injury. I could see a few minutes fluctuation here and there but nothing major.

C - Karno (20)
PF - Williams III (30)
Wing - Mathews (30)
SG - Williams Goss (30)
PG - Perkins (30)

Bench - Collins (20), Melson (15), Norvell (15), Rui or Tillie (10), and Edwards/Alberts/Jones (random depending on game situation)
Redshirts - Rui or Tillie, Larsen

Coach Crazy
06-29-2016, 12:49 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!! The hype on this board is crazy sometimes. A few months back it was that Zach Collins was better across the board than Nikola Vucevic, a borderline NBA Allstar. Then you have all the one and done talk on here about a guy that isn't even in the Top 60 prospects lists for the 2017 NBA Draft...not to mention this upcoming draft is considered loaded. I love what I've seen of Collins but it is a big step from HS to College and College to the Pros. He will likely go to the NBA draft early, but it's not gonna be next year.

As for the minutes projection...the main minutes are pretty easy to figure out IMO. Here is how I am confident it will play out, barring injury. I could see a few minutes fluctuation here and there but nothing major.

C - Karno (20)
PF - Williams III (30)
Wing - Mathews (30)
SG - Williams Goss (30)
PG - Perkins (30)

Bench - Collins (20), Melson (15), Norvell (15), Rui or Tillie (10), and Edwards/Alberts/Jones (random depending on game situation)
Redshirts - Rui or Tillie, Larsen

It was never that. Go back and read the exchange, and what was said.

cjm720
06-29-2016, 01:37 PM
Weak Van, very weak.. Stick to basketball. It's much better that way.

Sure seems like you should be pointing this to Jazz lol

No way a healthy Karno doesn't start

Zagdawg
06-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Agree with CJM720 -- A healthy Big K creates a bunch of stress for our opponents.

zagamatic
06-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Just a question because I haven't seen anything to suggest it, but is Jordan Matthews playing the 3 a legitimate thing? As I understand it, he's among the shortest of the players expected to be in the rotation isn't he? If so , I don't understand speculation about him playing the 3.
On another note, has anyone heard anything or know anything about Jones? Granted, it's been nearly a year since I remember seeing him at Kraziness, but I recall good things about this kid coming off a redshirt year. And if I recall correctly, he's about the right size for the 3 spot, correct?

amaronizag
06-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Jordan Matthews is 6'4". Jones is a smart, athletic kid, but not sure where he fits in next year. Going to be hard for him to crack that lineup. The starting rotation will probably vary from game to game and throughout the season as players mature and/or step up. Also hard to imaging Rui or Tillie wanting to red shirt. No idea about Larsen, I've seen less tape of him than any of the new guys. Just hard to get the mind around all of the talent we'll have. :-)

GoZags
06-29-2016, 04:08 PM
Jordan Matthews is 6'4". Jones is a smart, athletic kid, but not sure where he fits in next year. Going to be hard for him to crack that lineup. The starting rotation will probably vary from game to game and throughout the season as players mature and/or step up. Also hard to imaging Rui or Tillie wanting to red shirt. No idea about Larsen, I've seen less tape of him than any of the new guys. Just hard to get the mind around all of the talent we'll have. :-)

Jones = Defensive stopper/hard nosed lunch bucket/floor burn-strawberry guy.

Zagdawg
06-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Tillie hasn't played for the last year due to injuries -- depending on his health-- he may benefit by redshirting-- not sure how Rui is doing acclimating and getting used to the newer language -- if either of them feel they want to redshirt --it makes sense either way.

About Tillie---"We expect him to contribute right away, if his health is under control with some knee issues."---— Tommy Lloyd, Gonzaga Associate Head Coach

About Rui --- "He's really developed in the last year. His body has really changed. He's a legit 6-foot-8 1/4 with a 7-foot-2 wingspan and huge hands. He can control the ball easily and can shoot."— Tommy Lloyd, Gonzaga Associate Head Coach.

Another about Rui--- "The kid from Japan is a terrific athlete. He's going to remind people of a bigger Elias Harris. I don't know if he can step in right away. I just know that he's a man child. He is, and he's going to have to learn the language a little bit better and learn the system and learn how to play Zags basketball, but unlimited potential, unlimited athletic potential, and he's going to be good."— Fran Fraschilla, ESPN

bartruff1
06-29-2016, 05:13 PM

Your just mad because you don't hear the voices .....:)

DixieZag
06-29-2016, 07:38 PM
I hope Karno can stay healthy. Maybe it's that I don't know anything about the subject, but it's difficult for me to picture in my mind's eye him being "healthy" throughout the year.

Keeping him healthy might require serious reduction in minutes, picking spots to maximize his year. Hopefully I'm wrong. He's earned the right to go out on his own terms, full bore.

GrizZAG
06-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Who can shut down Eric Mica? (sp?) That's the guy I want..

zagamatic
06-29-2016, 08:54 PM
My best guess, and that's exactly what it is, is that outside of Karnowski our best bet to shut down Mika is JWIII.

Virginia Zags Fan
06-29-2016, 09:58 PM
Ok. More info from my scrimmage watch last night.

Players on hand:

Sacre
Dickau
Stockton
Ira Brown
Melson
Jones
Williams (DNP)
Collins
Rui
Edwards
Goss
Norvell

There was some defense, but offense was the focus. The guys played about an hour. Collins and Norvell stuck around after to work on free throws. They both have wonderful form.

A few things that I noticed:

Dickau - so competitive and still has a great shot. He did not play as many games, but he had some great shots and one dime that was fantastic.

David Stockton is so crafty. He has a deceptively quick first step. His outside shots weren't falling as much, but his inside shots were. He had a tough time guarding NWG at times. Of course, he slipped by and NWG a few times as well.

Zach Collins reminds me of Austin Daye. Very long, smooth shot inside and out. Has a good motor. He is going to play a lot this year. He will be able to stretch defenses. He will be able to score day one.

I already talked about Norvell. That guy is something else. Most consistent offensive player last night. Hit shot after shot from everywhere. Wow. Just wow.

NWG hit some good shots and was on the same team with Norvell. They worked well together. NWG looks to be able to break down defenses quickly and finishes well. Also had some nice passes/dishes. Very impressive player. Super competitive and was talking to his team a lot. I think he is going to be a vocal leader on this team.

Williams was there but did not play, he appeared to be stretching on sideline watching.

Jones was guarding Norvell and was working. He plays hard and is a good addition to the team.

Rui was also working hard. He is not as polished as some of the other guys, but is going to be really good. He has a solid body type.

Ira Brown is a beast. That guy kept all kinds of balls alive for his team and his shooting was solid. He was like a locomotive going down hill and nobody wanted to get in his way.

Edwards looked like he had put on some weight. He paid a couple of nice plays, but is also looking a little slow. I still see him as number four on the big guy depth chart. I am glad to have that big body on the team and am confident he will make some plays for us this year.

Melson is a streaky, confidence player. He was missing shots early, but once he hits a shot, look out. He made some really impressive, hard shots from downtown and drove to the hoop with ease. When he wanted to. He has all the talent. If his streaky shooting and play became the norm, he would be nearly unstoppable.

Sacre is Sacre. He made some nice shots. Brought the ball down a few times and got it swiped. He is in great shape. Great with photo takers and the consummate Zag.

If Coach Few can get the pieces to fit together and everyone stays healthy, this team could be so, so, good!

bartruff1
06-30-2016, 04:09 AM
Who can shut down Eric Mica? (sp?) That's the guy I want..

Mika...he makes stupid fouls and sits on the bench and pouts...hopefully he has grown up on his mission..

bigblahla
06-30-2016, 04:52 AM
Mika...he makes stupid fouls and sits on the bench and pouts...hopefully he has grown up on his mission..

Agree, unless Mika has matured between the ears he will get in his own way.....

Go!! Zags!!

HenneZag
06-30-2016, 05:51 AM
Does anyone know if they will scrimmage again tonight? And if so where exactly would I enter.

Bogozags
06-30-2016, 06:13 AM

Bart you are right he made "freshman" mistakes BUT I was so impressed with his composure playing SMC at home, when he was punched by SMC's Jones and he stood their asking Jones why did you do that? He never got angry and the punch didn't take him "mentally" out of the game...

Once he gets his "game legs" he will be a strong, skilled player this season and my guess is he will play a PF when given the opportunity.

vandalzag
06-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Your just mad because you don't hear the voices .....:)

Agreed petty jealousy on my part much the same way I felt when my youngest still believed in the Easter Bunny. I just wanted to see the wondrous things she did.

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2016, 07:28 AM

Why? he doesn't play for us. Hopefully he's still the same immature, foul prone player that he was before he left. lol

Virginia Zags Fan
06-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Why? he doesn't play for us. Hopefully he's still the same immature, foul prone player that he was before he left. lol

Good point! And I know it was tongue in cheek. I hope the SMC and BYU guys have great years and play great. I hope they represent the WCC well. I simply hope the Zags rise up and play better.

amaronizag
06-30-2016, 07:57 AM
Absolutely love getting reports from the scrimmages. Can't thank those who contribute enough. They are glimpses of individual and team potential we can rely on and they keep us psyched up and excited through the long off season.

Zagdawg
06-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Here is the schedule for the camps -- the Zag players usually play afterward (they help out with the camps --so they are already there on site):

June 21-24

Team Camp 1 (BOYS High School Teams)
(Team Camp 1 still has space AVAILABLE!)

June 26-29

Team Camp 2 (BOYS High School Teams)
(Team Camp 2 is FULL; Call 509-313-3994 to join the waiting list)

July 14-17

Team Camp 3 (BOYS High School Teams)
(Team Camp 3 still has space AVAILABLE!)

July 21-24

Advanced Skills Camp
(BOYS Entering Grades 3 - High School)

July 25-27

Fundamental Skills Camp
(BOYS & GIRLS Entering Grades 1 - 7)

The guys probably play on other days also-- just don't know the times etc.

BULLDOG#1
06-30-2016, 09:11 AM
About Rui --- "He's really developed in the last year. His body has really changed. He's a legit 6-foot-8 1/4 with a 7-foot-2 wingspan and huge hands. He can control the ball easily and can shoot."— Tommy Lloyd, Gonzaga Associate Head Coach.

Another about Rui--- "The kid from Japan is a terrific athlete. He's going to remind people of a bigger Elias Harris. I don't know if he can step in right away. I just know that he's a man child. He is, and he's going to have to learn the language a little bit better and learn the system and learn how to play Zags basketball, but unlimited potential, unlimited athletic potential, and he's going to be good."— Fran Fraschilla, ESPN

Wow.

cggonzaga
07-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Heard Kispert and King's won or took 2nd at team camp 2. Pretty impressive for a 1A school. Heard Kispert is just getting better and better. Also heard the comment made that Kispert would get minutes on next season's team if it wasn't for that silly rule that kids need to finish high school first.

maynard g krebs
07-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Also heard the comment made that Kispert would get minutes on next season's team if it wasn't for that silly rule that kids need to finish high school first.

I think I made the same comment in another thread. Seems to be something people agree on. Can't wait; with reports we're hearing on Norvell, it looks like a wing pair that could be the best yet.

cggonzaga
07-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Pair them with Wade at the point and wow. All 3 can flat stroke it. Not to mention Perkins and Melson will be here for another year at least. The backcourt is a strength for years to come.

Zagdawg
07-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Camp 3 started today

July 14-17

Zagdawg
07-14-2016, 11:31 PM
They played for about 45 mins.

Attendees:
Norvel, NWG, Rui, Jones, Collins, Raivio, Perkins, JW 3 (did not play), Melson, Rem B., Edwards, Beach, Triano

A few notes:

NWG --definition of floor general --very vocal -- coaching up Collins and Rui (on his team) -- was aggressive shooting
Perkins -- looking good -- draining threes and being aggressive to the hoop
Norvel- three point shot was falling nicely -- hitting a bunch even with a hand in his face
Collins-- good nose for the ball -- lots of boards and hit a good number of shots
Rui energizer bunny -- scoring a bunch-- very long arms allow him to get hands on everything in and out of his area
Edwards looking solid (even hit some threes as a trailer on the break)

Some clips from the scrimmage last night.

https://youtu.be/mKF6GayjiEM

https://youtu.be/SgFc_qYm6TA

https://youtu.be/DJr4hKgU-2M

https://youtu.be/NP9wsshkOAc

https://youtu.be/oc1GrI_0d0w

https://youtu.be/wjvci4KMSI0

https://youtu.be/EoUSveIVcSI

https://youtu.be/gPgXI4BdyeI

Zags_Fanatic
07-15-2016, 12:13 AM
They played for about 45 mins.

This is awesome, thanks! Planning on heading down tonight, what time did they start the scrimmage?

Zagger
07-15-2016, 03:16 AM
Collins has silky moves and no problem finding the hoop. Thanks for the vids!

Passing looked good by all. D was likely relaxed but I was impressed with how they managed the court. I've got a way good feeling about this Zag bunch. Can't wait to see how Karnowski moves within this bunch.

jazzdelmar
07-15-2016, 03:52 AM
Edwards looks slower. And still disinterested.

strikenowhere
07-15-2016, 05:09 AM
This season can't get here soon enough....

vandalzag
07-15-2016, 06:26 AM
Edwards looks slower. And still disinterested.

That is some in depth insight from that video. If you are that good at breaking down video maybe you can take a run at the Zapruder film and other footage from Dallas identify the shooters from the grassy knoll.

Zagdawg
07-15-2016, 06:30 AM
Games start at 10pm after the last game for the high school camp.

Coach Crazy
07-15-2016, 07:17 AM
That is some in depth insight from that video. If you are that good at breaking down video maybe you can take a run at the Zapruder film and other footage from Dallas identify the shooters from the grassy knoll.

It is just a scrimmage, but I think that taking something good away from it means there is enough to find things were not so impressive.

I was not impressed by what I saw out of Ryan in those clips. Could be just the clips that got posted, or could be a down day for him and he just wasn't feeling it (for whatever reason)? Could be a number of things and just not something we will know without the right association(s).

For someone like Ryan, who already has very limited opportunities due to his play, those clips were not encouraging. In a year like this one, with the team deeper than last year with talent and recruiting being elevated the way it is, clips like that are going to draw some speculation.

It will be up to him to be ready for the regular season, but there aren't going to be many minutes for him (unless one or any combination of Shem, J3, and ZC underperform). So, you would like to see a player in his situation using these opportunities to really make it happen.

But again, just a scrimmage. So, we'll see where everyone is at after pre-season and early regular season.

willandi
07-15-2016, 07:56 AM
I saw that Ryan just started an internship at a local TV station...KHQ I think...either that or KXLY.

Zagdawg
07-15-2016, 08:03 AM
First 2 clips were earlier in the scrim the rest were towards the end-- so tank was a bit low for some of the guys towards the end of the scrimmage-- especially the bigger guys who played all of the games (like Edwards).

Tried to target some Rui and Collins in the clips since they are rookies and we have not seen them as much.

Edwards had some good moves around the basket (got a couple of feeds from the guys to finish inside and a couple of jump hooks along with a couple of threes)-- but I did not post them because they occurred at the other end of the floor and more difficult to see.

Depending on how Larsen/Tillie do (redshirts?)and JW3 (injury)-- Edwards may be our 3rd big-- unless we go small ball with Rui/Jones.

Not saying he is the next coming of Shaq-- but he is not as terrible as some are making him out to be -- somewhere in between (i.e. solid college backup).

Kiddwell
07-15-2016, 10:21 AM
First 2 clips were earlier in the scrim the rest were towards the end-- so tank was a bit low for some of the guys towards the end of the scrimmage-- especially the bigger guys who played all of the games (like Edwards).

Tried to target some Rui and Collins in the clips since they are rookies and we have not seen them as much.

Edwards had some good moves around the basket (got a couple of feeds from the guys to finish inside and a couple of jump hooks along with a couple of threes)-- but I did not post them because they occurred at the other end of the floor and more difficult to see.

Depending on how Larsen/Tillie do (redshirts?)and JW3 (injury)-- Edwards may be our 3rd big-- unless we go small ball with Rui/Jones.

Not saying he is the next coming of Shaq-- but he is not as terrible as some are making him out to be -- somewhere in between (i.e. solid college backup).

The clips were really fun, Zagdawg. Really great to see some of the newbies playing. Here's a selfish request: Any chance you could record, say, fifteen or twenty minutes straight? And even more selfish: And from either the left or right front row? :pray::pray: :pray:

Thanks again for the tantalizing glimpses. A nice summer gift to Zags fans. :cheers:

:]

btzag
07-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Can anyone point out Norvell in the videos? I'm assuming Rui was 'skins', looked long and very smooth on the court... Collins is so impressive.

Zagdawg
07-15-2016, 11:27 AM
Norvel is in the blue shirt in the 1st video --drains a 3 right at the beginning --then comes down to guard NWG.

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2016, 11:56 AM
I love this stuff, thanks so much and keep them coming.

Worthington
07-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Wow Rui looked really impressive in those clips. Hit a couple from the midrange, threw down a dunk in transition, and pinned Edwards layup against the backboard. He might be hard to keep off the floor next year.

NotoriousZ
07-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Thanks Zagdawg! Collins looked unstoppable. But it is hard to get a feel for who some of those guys are from your camera angle. Maybe you could sneek over to midcourt? Ha ha just kidding, thanks again!

zagsfanforlife
07-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks Zagdawg! Collins looked unstoppable. But it is hard to get a feel for who some of those guys are from your camera angle. Maybe you could sneek over to midcourt? Ha ha just kidding, thanks again!

Who is skins, darker complexion, two knee/leg pads and blue shorts?

Zagdawg
07-15-2016, 02:34 PM
Rui

zagsfanforlife
07-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Rui

Thats what i thought... idk.. but from the clips i saw.. i dont care how old he is, or what language he can or cant speak... that kid is playing from day one.

Coach Crazy
07-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Thats what i thought... idk.. but from the clips i saw.. i dont care how old he is, or what language he can or cant speak... that kid is playing from day one.

Hard to extrapolate too much, based on scrimmages, but he moves like he can play the 3. And I agree. He'll have his own set of growing pains, as most freshman will...but he seems to be very comfortable. As well, it's always a luxury to have a 7-footer (ZC) that can drive the ball off a pick-and-pop pump fake, from that far out...

DixieZag
07-15-2016, 02:59 PM

I don't know how anyone could pretend to get any sense of anything in those short clips.

That's not to say it isn't wonderful to see them posted and really appreciate the work it took to take them, then download them for all of us, cool to see the guys again. So, big thx! But, yeah, not the type of game or view that anything can be analyzed about.

Now, the Zapruder one, better angle there, and one can clearly see that .....

btzag
07-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Norvel is in the blue shirt in the 1st video --drains a 3 right at the beginning --then comes down to guard NWG.

Thanks Zagdawg! Looks a lot more like a wing than I expected. Looking at Collins, Norvell and Rui just seems like another level for this program. Plus Nwg looks great and recovered and we haven't even seen Williams or Matthews or Tillie or Larsen!

Goshzagit
07-15-2016, 07:34 PM
I don't know how anyone could pretend to get any sense of anything in those short clips.

That's not to say it isn't wonderful to see them posted and really appreciate the work it took to take them, then download them for all of us, cool to see the guys again. So, big thx! But, yeah, not the type of game or view that anything can be analyzed about.

Now, the Zapruder one, better angle there, and one can clearly see that .....

this.

the clips are appreciated and entertaining, yet no real defense is being played. standing in front of your man is not playing defense at the D1 level. no scheme, no shuffle, no hands, nil.

if anything, collins moves as well as expected given his hype, and rui appears more comfortable/natural than anticipated. both are terrific talents with a high upside.

we know norvell can shoot, silas is streaky, edwards is a bit slow but smart, collins can play, rui can ball, perkins can shoot set shots, nwg can handle with the best, and that is to be expected.

nothing more nothing less from those clips.

we will see how they respond to sets, defense, scheme, coaching, and pressure.

zagsfanforlife
07-15-2016, 08:21 PM
this.

the clips are appreciated and entertaining, yet no real defense is being played. standing in front of your man is not playing defense at the D1 level. no scheme, no shuffle, no hands, nil.

if anything, collins moves as well as expected given his hype, and rui appears more comfortable/natural than anticipated. both are terrific talents with a high upside.

we know norvell can shoot, silas is streaky, edwards is a bit slow but smart, collins can play, rui can ball, perkins can shoot set shots, nwg can handle with the best, and that is to be expected.

nothing more nothing less from those clips.

we will see how they respond to sets, defense, scheme, coaching, and pressure.

This may sound conceited, but its more of a fact from what I have experienced. If you have seen enough ball at many different levels, just a few clips of seeing someones body control, or a move or two they make, or their shooting form, and you can gain quite a bit from the short clips. I saw a couple things from Rui that get me very excited. Collins is a stud as well.

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Any reports from tonight. I've never done drugs, but I assume this is what "needing a fix" is like. lol

Zags_Fanatic
07-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Any reports from tonight. I've never done drugs, but I assume this is what "needing a fix" is like. lol

I was there, not too different from what was reported from last night to be honest :) Angel Nunez was in the house and Collins was sitting on the sidelines. Edwards elected not to play since there wasn't another center there and JW3 was still out.

Shockingly Jack Beach may have been the MVP of the first game. Played hard, knocked down some 3s, played good D and even slashed a couple of times. Phenomenal practice guy who could find some minutes by the end of his career

NWG is the vocal leader of this team and was really coaching the new guys, seemed to really be taking Norvell under his wing. Amazing passes, silky smooth shot, fighting for everything, will make some serious waves this season. Potential AA type player.

Speaking of Norvell, Zach was spitting fire tonight. Must have made around 50% of his 3s and played hard 100% of the time. I really liked his attitude on and off the court as well, he was affected by losing or getting beaten on a play but he seemed to be motivated instead of downtrodden. I can't imagine him not playing this year, he was fantastic.

Melson streaky as usual, but when he was on he was on fire.

Hachimura is the real deal. Solid outside shot, played hard on the boards and under the basket. Made a couple of nice bounce passes in the lane. Reminded me of Giannis Antetokounmpo which could legitimately be his ceiling. If he plays on the wing he'll be a nightmare matchup on both ends of the court. Exciting player, the only reason he should possibly redshirt is if the language barrier is so large that he can't effectively learn the system.

Perkins was awesome, great shot, great passes, great motor. Also of note is that he and NWG were playing on the same team and played off of each other beautifully. It seemed like NWG was more of the general who was one step ahead and communicating the target to Perkins. Together they had amazing ball movement and really played as one to get some open looks both on the perimeter and in the post.

Normally I go to these to see the old dogs, but today I was most excited to see the young guard. I wish Collins would have played but Norvell and Hachimura were extremely encouraging.

HenneZag
07-15-2016, 11:41 PM
Is there a camp day tommorrow, scrimmage? I will go and recap if so.

Zagdawg
07-15-2016, 11:46 PM
July 14-17

krii
07-16-2016, 02:19 AM
Thanks Zagdawg! Looks a lot more like a wing than I expected. Looking at Collins, Norvell and Rui just seems like another level for this program. Plus Nwg looks great and recovered and we haven't even seen Williams or Matthews or Tillie or Larsen!

Or Karno ;-)

Jstock12
07-16-2016, 04:46 AM
I expect Karnowski to make some big strides. As I understand he has graduated so he won't need to attend classes next year and he will be able to give his full attention to the game.

cggonzaga
07-16-2016, 07:14 AM
Pretty sure he still needs to attend classes.

thespywhozaggedme
07-16-2016, 07:37 AM
This is so awesome, thanks. To compare Louie to the Greek Freak is amazing. Our young talent is ridiculous.
I was there, not too different from what was reported from last night to be honest :) Angel Nunez was in the house and Collins was sitting on the sidelines. Edwards elected not to play since there wasn't another center there and JW3 was still out.

Shockingly Jack Beach may have been the MVP of the first game. Played hard, knocked down some 3s, played good D and even slashed a couple of times. Phenomenal practice guy who could find some minutes by the end of his career

NWG is the vocal leader of this team and was really coaching the new guys, seemed to really be taking Norvell under his wing. Amazing passes, silky smooth shot, fighting for everything, will make some serious waves this season. Potential AA type player.

Speaking of Norvell, Zach was spitting fire tonight. Must have made around 50% of his 3s and played hard 100% of the time. I really liked his attitude on and off the court as well, he was affected by losing or getting beaten on a play but he seemed to be motivated instead of downtrodden. I can't imagine him not playing this year, he was fantastic.

Melson streaky as usual, but when he was on he was on fire.

Hachimura is the real deal. Solid outside shot, played hard on the boards and under the basket. Made a couple of nice bounce passes in the lane. Reminded me of Giannis Antetokounmpo which could legitimately be his ceiling. If he plays on the wing he'll be a nightmare matchup on both ends of the court. Exciting player, the only reason he should possibly redshirt is if the language barrier is so large that he can't effectively learn the system.

Perkins was awesome, great shot, great passes, great motor. Also of note is that he and NWG were playing on the same team and played off of each other beautifully. It seemed like NWG was more of the general who was one step ahead and communicating the target to Perkins. Together they had amazing ball movement and really played as one to get some open looks both on the perimeter and in the post.

Normally I go to these to see the old dogs, but today I was most excited to see the young guard. I wish Collins would have played but Norvell and Hachimura were extremely encouraging.

Gonzdb8
07-16-2016, 08:11 AM
I expect Karnowski to make some big strides. As I understand he has graduated so he won't need to attend classes next year and he will be able to give his full attention to the game.

just because a player has graduated doesn't mean they get to play out their eligibility without being enrolled in school. if he did graduate already seems like he would have to enroll in a grad program (which it turns out do in fact require you to attend classes) in order to be on the team. am i missing something here?

Zagdawg
07-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Thanks for sharing Fanatic.

zagbeliever
07-16-2016, 08:34 AM
just because a player has graduated doesn't mean they get to play out their eligibility without being enrolled in school. if he did graduate already seems like he would have to enroll in a grad program (which it turns out do in fact require you to attend classes) in order to be on the team. am i missing something here?
You are right. I remember one of the boys saying the grad school classes were way more demanding. I think it was in an interview on the Mark Few show.

HenneZag
07-16-2016, 08:44 AM
July 14-17

What time usually and where do I enter to watch? Anyone...

Zags_Fanatic
07-16-2016, 08:59 AM
What time usually and where do I enter to watch? Anyone...

Last boys game in the Kennel ended around 9:45 last night and scrimmage started shortly after. Park near the entrance to the old Martin Center and go through the main doors. Take the first right and follow paper signs to MC/MAC. Just keep going straight until you are on the Kennel floor and enjoy!

jazzdelmar
07-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Let's not jump on Jstock, he made a sincere if inaccurate statement. Of course Karno has to enroll.

krii
07-16-2016, 10:57 AM
If he will do postgrad stuff at the uni it'll be even more important for him. in the future he can use that with ease!

HenneZag
07-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Last boys game in the Kennel ended around 9:45 last night and scrimmage started shortly after. Park near the entrance to the old Martin Center and go through the main doors. Take the first right and follow paper signs to MC/MAC. Just keep going straight until you are on the Kennel floor and enjoy!

Awesome! Thanks

zagsfanforlife
07-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Awesome! Thanks

Take notes for us!

HenneZag
07-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Take notes for us!

For sure

jchocolate99
07-16-2016, 04:52 PM
sooooo does anyone have any insight into what's up with JW3?? Seems like every time someone recaps the scrimmages it's mentioned that JW3 is sitting out. Did he get injured or something?

Zags_Fanatic
07-16-2016, 05:25 PM
sooooo does anyone have any insight into what's up with JW3?? Seems like every time someone recaps the scrimmages it's mentioned that JW3 is sitting out. Did he get injured or something?

He was walking just fine and took some warmup shots, probably nothing major.

cggonzaga
07-16-2016, 06:43 PM

Dealing with minor knee problem. Just playing it safe.

jchocolate99
07-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Dealing with minor knee problem. Just playing it safe.

ok good to know... I brought it up awhile ago but never got a response but glad it's nothing major we'll definitely need his defense and rebounding

HenneZag
07-16-2016, 10:04 PM
I made it to the MAC tonight to watch them scrimmage. In attendance was NWG, Jeremy Jones, JWIII, Rui Hachimura, Angel Nunez.

After about an hour of watching them run through drills and warm up I finally asked someone if they will scrimmage and come to find out its Rob Sacres wedding tonight and most of the guys were there, so no scrimmage happend.

NWG is very detail oriented, the way he runs through shooting drills, cone drills is pretty cool to watch, very explosive.
JWIII literally shot FTs for an hour straight
Rui Hachimura is going to be a stud, great handles, super athletic, very mature frame. He was next to Nunez and looked more muscular.
Jeremy Jones is athletic/explosive, definitely not a ball handler.

Really not a whole lot to report. Bummer. :/

thespywhozaggedme
07-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Man, that sucks. Way to go Sacre, thanks for ruining my late night reading. ::o
I made it to the MAC tonight to watch them scrimmage. In attendance was NWG, Jeremy Jones, JWIII, Rui Hachimura, Angel Nunez.

After about an hour of watching them run through drills and warm up I finally asked someone if they will scrimmage and come to find out its Rob Sacres wedding tonight and most of the guys were there, so no scrimmage happend.

NWG is very detail oriented, the way he runs through shooting drills, cone drills is pretty cool to watch, very explosive.
JWIII literally shot FTs for an hour straight
Rui Hachimura is going to be a stud, great handles, super athletic, very mature frame. He was next to Nunez and looked more muscular.
Jeremy Jones is athletic/explosive, definitely not a ball handler.

Really not a whole lot to report. Bummer. :/

sittingon50
07-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Very interesting that Angel is there. I'm guessing his time in Spokane was enjoyable.

Nice kid.

Coach Crazy
07-17-2016, 08:20 AM
Very interesting that Angel is there. I'm guessing his time in Spokane was enjoyable.

Nice kid.

I'm not sure how unique it is...as I don't spend time with the 300 and some odd programs. But how would anyone not want to be around this? All that work that started so long ago, and everyone is getting a chance to see and still be a part of the fruits of their labor.

Zags_Fanatic
07-17-2016, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure how unique it is...as I don't spend time with the 300 and some odd programs. But how would anyone not want to be around this? All that work that started so long ago, and everyone is getting a chance to see and still be a part of the fruits of their labor.

I understand why 50 is surprised about Angel, if a player opts to transfer it seems reasonable to question whether or not they were unhappy. Fantastic to see that he still feels connected to the program.

Bogozags
07-17-2016, 09:43 AM
I understand why 50 is surprised about Angel, if a player opts to transfer it seems reasonable to question whether or not they were unhappy. Fantastic to see that he still feels connected to the program.

I think the program is part of it BUT I believe he made life long relationships with his teammates as well as those that played before him. I was surprised when AD comes back and plays as I didn't think he was that close to GU...nothing to gauge that on other than a feeling which is most probably wrong.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to Carter, is he playing overseas or out of the game?

SunDevilGolfZag
07-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Angel Nunez has a pretty important connection with GU--it's where he got his college degree. Part of our alumni family

HenneZag
07-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Nunez is a super nice guy. He was shooting jump shots and pulled some young kid out of the stands to be is helper to retrieve and pass the ball back so he could shoot in rhythm. Kid had a grin ear to ear the whole time.

Zagger
07-18-2016, 03:40 AM
Nunez is a super nice guy. He was shooting jump shots and pulled some young kid out of the stands to be is helper to retrieve and pass the ball back so he could shoot in rhythm. Kid had a grin ear to ear the whole time.

Sweet! Love seeing that fan appreciation displayed by many a Zag.

Joe
07-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Here's one video
https://youtu.be/kMqJ_mkDghg

Zagdawg
07-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Thank you Joe for posting-- they must have started earlier tonight.

ZagaZags
07-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Here's one video
https://youtu.be/kMqJ_mkDghg

Zach Collins is going to be crazy good.

MDABE80
07-21-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks so much Joe. Collins is pretty amazing. Timing, touch. Melson looked very good as well. Two good PG's this year. RUI's one to watch. Exciting kid.

hooter73
07-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Melson just plays with that power that boarders on and off of urgency. Can be so good.

Rems looking fit as well lol

thespywhozaggedme
07-22-2016, 06:18 AM
The little girl was so cute running up and down the court, I was distracted from the actual game. She reminded me of my 4 year old little girl.

cjm720
07-22-2016, 06:35 AM
Collins sure looks like an instant impact player.

raise the zag
07-22-2016, 06:49 AM
Collins sure looks like an instant impact player.

And then some...

Consistently outplayed the 'old dogs' who are current NBA'ers (although they defer quite a bit to get others involved).

'If Zach was playing on a Summer League team right now, he'd make a roster...'

High praise.

Reborn
07-22-2016, 06:51 AM
I'm glad to hear about Melson. As I said yesterday, I still believe in him.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2016, 08:36 AM
And then some...

Consistently outplayed the 'old dogs' who are current NBA'ers (although they defer quite a bit to get others involved).

High praise.

One and done.

Zagceo
07-22-2016, 08:44 AM
And then some...

High praise.

I'm not surprised. I'm guessing his quickness and balance standout against other bigs.

soccerdud
07-22-2016, 09:27 AM
One and done.

it's a possibility, but i think his likely career arc (tho obviously not skillset) matches sabonis'. 1 impressive year in steady minutes as the 3rd big, explode his 2nd year. gone after that, if he wants to be.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2016, 10:22 AM
it's a possibility, but i think his likely career arc (tho obviously not skillset) matches sabonis'. 1 impressive year in steady minutes as the 3rd big, explode his 2nd year. gone after that, if he wants to be.

Ahead of DS as frosh skillwise. Might be bigger and more athletic. Not sure about motor. Few won't be able to keep away from prying NBA eyes.

vandalzag
07-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Ahead of DS as frosh skillwise. Might be bigger and more athletic. Not sure about motor. Few won't be able to keep away from prying NBA eyes.

I heard Few is only going to play him at point guard, so the NBA does not realize he is tall.

maynard g krebs
07-22-2016, 10:35 AM
I heard Few is only going to play him at point guard, so the NBA does not realize he is tall.

Nah. Brown paper bag with eye holes.

sonuvazag
07-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Nah. Brown paper bag with eye holes.

Starting at point guard, the Unknown Comic.

sittingon50
07-22-2016, 11:11 AM
I like your guys thought process!!

;)

jake
07-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Clearly you can tell Collins is skilled and likely to be a big impact player. However, I am in the camp that we're maybe reading a little much into how Rui, Collins, etc are doing in these pickup games. The intensity of these games is not even half that of a real game. Melson can take the ball to the basket, but when does he ever get to the basket like that in a game? I bring this up every few years because I specifically remember it, but back in the early 2000s there were posts one summer about how Tyler Amaya had really "blown up" over the summer, looked great in the pickup games, etc etc.

I'm not saying you can't tell anything from these games, and certainly the posters that have actually seen the full scrimmages are at an advantage, but I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves on some of these guys projecting NBA draft spots off of video clips of games played at half speed. My thought is the scrimmages definitely show potential and glimpses, but going from the scrimmages to the regular season is like a college quarterback going to the NFL.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2016, 11:43 AM
With respect to Collins and Norvell these are not epiphanies. They each have significant scholastic backstory. Rui not nearly as much. Still Jake, you're right there's a Bong Kolian feel to some of it. And Coleman and Carter.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2016, 11:45 AM

Hilarious. When do you open at the Sands?

soccerdud
07-22-2016, 11:49 AM

currently i'd say collins has better range, more of a stretch 4 skillset, and possibly length. he is missing the strength, bulk, interior footwork, experience playing with/against pros, etc. domas is a classic post. zack is more of a stretch 4. i would suggest that domas, as a freshman, was more NBA-ready in his eventual role than collins will prove to be this year. that is in no way intended to diminish ZC. domas was a pro with HOF bloodlines at 17, and entered the NCAA with 2 top-10 quality attributes: interior footwork and motor. ZC combines some of wiltjer's perimeter skill with early heytfelt length/athleticism/budding post ability. that is an incredible and exciting combination. but he's still relatively early on his development curve, and he has shown the willingness to put the team first, accept a role in games (as shown by the fact he didn't start in HS until his senior year), trust the process, and work hard to advance his game away from the cameras.

domas' promise was obvious after his freshman season as well.

jake
07-22-2016, 12:06 PM
With respect to Collins and Norvell these are not epiphanies. They each have significant scholastic backstory. Rui not nearly as much. Still Jake, you're right there's a Bong Kolian feel to some of it. And Coleman and Carter.

You're right. Unlike some in the past, including the example I listed, these guys have more "real" history to look at. I remember watching Morrison in the Oregon/Washington high school all-star game his senior year, a game that has some similarities to a scrimmage. You could tell he was special. I am in no way saying someone can't take the established history of these guys in high school and AAU, combine it with some things from these scrimmages, and get ideas of what the season might hold. I do, however, think the enthusiasm is contagious which then leads to, what I perceive to be, elevated levels of enthusiasm, or at least elevated certainty on our expectations. I just see our baseline case for these guys sliding up the bell curve. Definitely possible, but maybe not quite as certain as implied. We'll see.

vandalzag
07-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Hilarious. When do you open at the Sands?

What I said has a greater chance of being right compared to your fantasy of Few holding players back from being seen by the NBA.

MDABE80
07-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Looking at him playing and looking at his skill set, I'd be surprised if Collins is here for his Jr year. A couple years experience, strength, some weight and he'll be good to go. Heck of a shooter, rebounds are good enough and he's got a very good feel for the court action. I wish we'd have him for 4 years but things are different now. Him and Domas are very different players. Domas was a blue colllar his who stepped up his skills with Karno gone. Collins is kind of like a highlight reel in development.

He's not there yet but I think he will be one to remember. He does need one big thing: toughness like Domas had. I cannot estimate how tough in these scrims.

zagsfanforlife
07-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Clearly you can tell Collins is skilled and likely to be a big impact player. However, I am in the camp that we're maybe reading a little much into how Rui, Collins, etc are doing in these pickup games. The intensity of these games is not even half that of a real game. Melson can take the ball to the basket, but when does he ever get to the basket like that in a game? I bring this up every few years because I specifically remember it, but back in the early 2000s there were posts one summer about how Tyler Amaya had really "blown up" over the summer, looked great in the pickup games, etc etc.

I'm not saying you can't tell anything from these games, and certainly the posters that have actually seen the full scrimmages are at an advantage, but I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves on some of these guys projecting NBA draft spots off of video clips of games played at half speed. My thought is the scrimmages definitely show potential and glimpses, but going from the scrimmages to the regular season is like a college quarterback going to the NFL.

While I agree to a point, NBAdraft.net is not projecting Rui as #8 in 2018 based on the video clips that some are uploading to GUBoards.

Coach Crazy
07-22-2016, 02:14 PM
While I agree to a point, NBAdraft.net is not projecting Rui as #8 in 2018 based on the video clips that some are uploading to GUBoards.

I actually agree with you, in terms of being able to spot talent, even in settings where things may not be a bonfide regular season game. And I do agree that scrimmages can either be deceiving or not enough to gauge certain things. I'm a fan of Rui, but he also moves better in the scrimmages, than he does on film. 8th in the draft, following his sophomore season is probably higher than I would have thought, and anything can happen between now and then...but he has the ability to be a special player.

AND...if the does play well enough to be the 8th pick in the draft, two years from now. Well...dang. We are gonna be pretty spoiled with where this team can go. And that's also taking into consideration recent history.

Joe
07-22-2016, 05:07 PM
Here are the other videos I took last night:
https://youtu.be/88THez3n9cQ
https://youtu.be/jCEtyHRfyAA
https://youtu.be/9xIQtkb3u5Y
https://youtu.be/rorRT_d7W5o

Sorry if they are a bit choppy. Last scrimmage that I know of is tonight 9-9:45.

Oh and from the scrimmages, here's what I've learned: Rui is like Lebron, Collins is like Olajuwon, and Goss is at least as fast as Usain Bolt.

soccerdud
07-22-2016, 06:09 PM
Here are the other videos I took last night:
https://youtu.be/88THez3n9cQ
https://youtu.be/jCEtyHRfyAA
https://youtu.be/9xIQtkb3u5Y
https://youtu.be/rorRT_d7W5o

Sorry if they are a bit choppy. Last scrimmage that I know of is tonight 9-9:45.

Oh and from the scrimmages, here's what I've learned: Rui is like Lebron, Collins is like Olajuwon, and Goss is at least as fast as Usain Bolt.

these are truly awesome. thanks for taking and sharing these.

scrooner
07-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Bong Kolian! Hilarious.

ZAG 4 LIFE
07-23-2016, 12:03 AM

He has really good timing, desire, and most importantly, he has
The shot blockers mindset - a desire to block/change shots defending his own man,
and from the help side as well.

cjm720
07-23-2016, 08:38 AM
He has really good timing, desire, and most importantly, he has
The shot blockers mindset - a desire to block/change shots defending his own man,
and from the help side as well.

More like elite! Collins and Rui are the ones that stand out...and Rem's hair

zagsfanforlife
07-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Goss/Perk
Perkins/Matthews/Melson/Norvell
Matthews/Hachimura/Norvell/Alberts/Tillie/Jones
JWIII/Collins/Hachi
Karno/Collins/Edwards/Larsen?

Collins is going to be great with the pick and pop. I will be surprised if Karno could play more than 20+ mins a game.. not based on any inside knowledge but based on back surgeries... especially with 7 footers. Collins will get significant minutes at the 4 and 5. Who knows what we have in Larsen and Tillie? Two months ago we knew nothing of Rui and now i expect him to get meaningful minutes. Maybe Tillie has recovered from his injuries and comes to Spokane and shows that WOW factor he showed me in the 3x3 tournament.

I love Norvell's future, I just am not seeing more than 5-8 minutes a game for him. He has to beat out Melson and I dont see Few giving him the nod this year. Next year more will open up at the 2 and 3 with Matthews minutes gone. Can he play the 1? Maybe some spot minutes at the one as well.

I see Alberts and Edwards as the odd men out.. barring any injuries. If few were ever going to go with a 9 man rotation, it would be this year.

cggonzaga
07-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Goss/Perk
Perkins/Matthews/Melson/Norvell
Matthews/Hachimura/Norvell/Alberts/Tillie/Jones
JWIII/Collins/Hachi
Karno/Collins/Edwards/Larsen?

Collins is going to be great with the pick and pop. I will be surprised if Karno could play more than 20+ mins a game.. not based on any inside knowledge but based on back surgeries... especially with 7 footers. Collins will get significant minutes at the 4 and 5. Who knows what we have in Larsen and Tillie? Two months ago we knew nothing of Rui and now i expect him to get meaningful minutes. Maybe Tillie has recovered from his injuries and comes to Spokane and shows that WOW factor he showed me in the 3x3 tournament.

I love Norvell's future, I just am not seeing more than 5-8 minutes a game for him. He has to beat out Melson and I dont see Few giving him the nod this year. Next year more will open up at the 2 and 3 with Matthews minutes gone. Can he play the 1? Maybe some spot minutes at the one as well.

I see Alberts and Edwards as the odd men out.. barring any injuries. If few were ever going to go with a 9 man rotation, it would be this year.

That's pretty much how I see it. I still think Perk will be the PG with Goss at the 2. I think Goss will play the 1 at times as him and Perkins are pretty much interchangeable. I see Melson as the first off the bench at the 2 and 3 guard positions and Collins the first off the bench at the forward positions. I actually see Rui spelling the 4 and occasionally the 3 and have Norvell spelling the 2 and the 3. Here's how I see the minutes dispersed at least early on in the season (I do see an 11 man rotation as there is just so much talent. Tillie and Larsen likely to redshirt but love both their upsides).

Perkins 30 (starter)
Goss 30 (starter)
Matthews 30 (starter)
Williams 28 (starter)
Karno 20 (starter)
Collins 25
Melson 22
Rui 15
Norvell 15
Edwards 15
Jones 8

MDABE80
07-23-2016, 10:29 AM
FF talent. Goss looks to me to be a take charge kid. Josh and him will need to be good friends... they'll get get some shared duties. Mathews and Norvell should be a treat. Silas needs consistency. He's quicker in scrims than ever before.
As for the bigs, that top 3 group is going to be a sight.
Few's biggest chore will be to make this group a team. We've gone from being shorthanded last year to a fully flush team.
Since Josh is the only returning starter from last year, it'll take a while to get these guys molded but when that happens, I'm thinking this group will be ready to make a run.

seacatfan
07-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Edwards didn't get 15 minutes/game last year (8.7 min/game, just looked it up), with basically a 2 man frontcourt rotation. Can't see him getting that much this year, if Karno is reasonably healthy and barring any other injuries (knock on wood). If the hype about JWIII and Collins is remotely close to accurate, I just don't see how Edwards is going to get any meaningful minutes. I'd be less than surprised if either Tillie or Larsen jump ahead of him (assuming at least 1 of them doesn't RS).

Bogozags
07-23-2016, 11:58 AM
I believe and I think…both Zach’s and Rui will get playing time and the amount they each play will depend on how they adjust on defence. All three have solid skills on offence. They are also going to have to put in major work in the weight room this summer and fall to add some more muscle to their frames. The same should be said for Larsen and Tille, whom we have not yet seen on the floor. Heck, Those two might well be stars too!

Edwards and Alberts are familiar with ball at the D1 level and therefore, have experience that can’t be gained in scrimmages. Let’s hope that Edwards can work his way into the rotation at the post, which would really be an advantage and add depth and another rim protector to an already strong squad, which we have not had in quite sometime.

Out backcourt is going to be better than KP, GBjr and DS as it will be much more athletic …I think this team will miss the intangibles that Eric brought last year but we will see…I’m hoping Melson and Zach surprise us. From watching the video that has been shared, Jones seems as though he might well be able to earn minutes.

This is going to really interesting on how 200 minutes are doled out to 13 scholarship players + Jones…

This is an inherent problem of balancing PT, facing programs such as UK, Duke, KU and UNC to name a “few!”

DixieZag
07-23-2016, 12:11 PM
I believe and I think…both Zach’s and Rui will get playing time and the amount they each play will depend on how they adjust on defence. All three have solid skills on offence. They are also going to have to put in major work in the weight room this summer and fall to add some more muscle to their frames. The same should be said for Larsen and Tille, whom we have not yet seen on the floor. Heck, Those two might well be stars too!

Edwards and Alberts are familiar with ball at the D1 level and therefore, have experience that can’t be gained in scrimmages. Let’s hope that Edwards can work his way into the rotation at the post, which would really be an advantage and add depth and another rim protector to an already strong squad, which we have not had in quite sometime.

Out backcourt is going to be better than KP, GBjr and DS as it will be much more athletic …I think this team will miss the intangibles that Eric brought last year but we will see…I’m hoping Melson and Zach surprise us. From watching the video that has been shared, Jones seems as though he might well be able to earn minutes.

This is going to really interesting on how 200 minutes are doled out to 13 scholarship players + Jones…

This is an inherent problem of balancing PT, facing programs such as UK, Duke, KU and UNC to name a “few!”

Good post. This team needs its own eMac, the guy who took charge and saved a season (IMHO).

If Abe is right - having seen them, I haven't - then it sounds like NWG is the most likely candidate.

maynard g krebs
07-23-2016, 01:12 PM
That's pretty much how I see it. I still think Perk will be the PG with Goss at the 2. I think Goss will play the 1 at times as him and Perkins are pretty much interchangeable. I see Melson as the first off the bench at the 2 and 3 guard positions and Collins the first off the bench at the forward positions. I actually see Rui spelling the 4 and occasionally the 3 and have Norvell spelling the 2 and the 3. Here's how I see the minutes dispersed at least early on in the season (I do see an 11 man rotation as there is just so much talent. Tillie and Larsen likely to redshirt but love both their upsides).

Perkins 30 (starter)
Goss 30 (starter)
Matthews 30 (starter)
Williams 28 (starter)
Karno 20 (starter)
Collins 25
Melson 22
Rui 15
Norvell 15
Edwards 15
Jones 8

That's 238 minutes.

webspinnre
07-23-2016, 02:04 PM
That's 238 minutes.

They'll be playing overtime every game!

But seriously, that's too many minutes for Edwards and Jones particularly.

jazzdelmar
07-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Drop Edwards to 5, Jones to mins vs USD only, and tack on mins to Rui and flop Silas and Norvell.

23dpg
07-23-2016, 02:26 PM
That's 238 minutes.

An injury or two and a few DNPs and 238 minutes would work.

cggonzaga
07-23-2016, 07:50 PM
That's 238 minutes.

Come on Maynard you know that's not how mpg works. I'll agree with jazz on his post except for flipping Melson and Norvell minutes. Probably got a little carried away with Edwards and Jones' minutes.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-24-2016, 12:29 PM

Perkins 30 (starter)
Goss 30 (starter)
Matthews 30 (starter)
Williams 28 (starter)
Karno 20 (starter)
Collins 25
Melson 22
Rui 15
Norvell 15
Edwards 15
Jones 8

I'm thinking Norvell, major talent from big time Chicago hoops program, is no ordinary freshmen...nor Collins. Bump Perkins / Goss / Matthews back to 28mpg each and give those minutes to Norvell for 21 mpg. He will earn the minutes with his talent and heart, it will keep him happy and the Chicago pipeline flowing again down the line. Nine man rotation, which when you think about it is really challenging Coach Few to coach differently cause when has he ever had a consistent 9 man rotation?

thespywhozaggedme
07-24-2016, 02:25 PM

I see whatcha did there. :clap:

Reborn
07-24-2016, 05:42 PM
I watched film of our last six games and man Melson played good. He really contributed a lot. He will have a role this year imo. Let's not forget him.

cggonzaga
07-24-2016, 09:51 PM
I'm thinking Norvell, major talent from big time Chicago hoops program, is no ordinary freshmen...nor Collins. Bump Perkins / Goss / Matthews back to 28mpg each and give those minutes to Norvell for 21 mpg. He will earn the minutes with his talent and heart, it will keep him happy and the Chicago pipeline flowing again down the line. Nine man rotation, which when you think about it is really challenging Coach Few to coach differently cause when has he ever had a consistent 9 man rotation?

I thought about the 28mpg for those guys as well to appease a couple freshmen. When I thought about it more though I decided that just isn't Few. His best players play no matter the score or circumstance. Also, 15mpg for freshmen on a top 12 team isn't anything to sneeze at. While these freshmen are very talented they still have much to prove before being given those kinds of minutes.

Bogozags
07-25-2016, 06:51 AM
I watched film of our last six games and man Melson played good. He really contributed a lot. He will have a role this year imo. Let's not forget him.

Reborn you are absolutely right...he is a junior, plays great "D", good handles, outstanding shot and can get to the basket...he will have his opportunity during practice to earn major minutes...

soccerdud
07-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Reborn you are absolutely right...he is a junior, plays great "D", good handles, outstanding shot and can get to the basket...he will have his opportunity during practice to earn major minutes...

and, most importantly, he doesn't turn the ball over. other than sabonis, i'd say melson was our most important player in the first half against seton hall. i know he had his struggles, particularly shooting... but i do not get people writing him off at all. i'd be shocked if he averages less than 15 mpg.

jpwils
07-25-2016, 10:21 AM
and, most importantly, he doesn't turn the ball over. other than sabonis, i'd say melson was our most important player in the first half against seton hall. i know he had his struggles, particularly shooting... but i do not get people writing him off at all. i'd be shocked if he averages less than 15 mpg.

We can only guess at mpg but agree Few has his work cut out for him.

If somebody in backcourt turns ball over too much or (God forbid) an injury happens we APPEAR to have more depth than usual.

Too early to write off Alberts and Edwards- both should push starters and frosh for some minutes. Must always account for foul trouble-especially as new bigs adjust to our team defense.

I wouldn't annoint any freshman yet and would not rule out Tillie and Larsen from roles. But Norvell, Collins, and Hachimura should make things very competitive and interesting !

Agree Goss, Williams, and Matthews should start but we'll see....they need to be productive starters that clearly outshine their internal competitors. Shooting % and rebounds matter !

If Karno is healthy, we are an immediate threat for Top 10 team by mid-season. But must also allow for fall development and OOC season to bring out best in all players.

Gonna be a dogfight- will appreciate any and all updates!

But I also would leave door open for any freshman to earn 15 plus mpg

amaronizag
07-25-2016, 11:15 AM
We still have lots to learn about most of the players on the roster this year. And most of the players on the roster have a lot to learn. But we know there is a HUGE amount of talent. And the beautiful thing is that it comes in all shapes and sizes. One would think that we could find the right match ups against almost any team this year. Our bench should have a solution for almost every problem -- fouls, turnovers, injuries, mismatches, offense, defense, size, speed......we should be able to play about even with about anybody in the country.

Coach Crazy
07-25-2016, 12:05 PM
We still have lots to learn about most of the players on the roster this year. And most of the players on the roster have a lot to learn. But we know there is a HUGE amount of talent. And the beautiful thing is that it comes in all shapes and sizes. One would think that we could find the right match ups against almost any team this year. Our bench should have a solution for almost every problem -- fouls, turnovers, injuries, mismatches, offense, defense, size, speed......we should be able to play about even with about anybody in the country.

Indeed. There may a point in the season where Gonzaga has a 7-footer at 5, a 7-footer at the 4, 6'8" wing with a 7'2" wingspan, and a 6'5" 200 lbs. 2 on the floor...at the same time. If that doesn't make you happy, then I think you have lost the ability to be happy.

Zagdawg
07-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Another camp starts today-- but it looks like it is for a younger group and it ends earlier in the day.

Fundamental Skills Day Camp July 25 - 27, 2016

Boys & Girls, entering grades 1 - 7 Fall 2016

Two sessions available:
Morning Session (9 a.m. - noon)
recommended for grades 1 and 2
OR
All day session (9 a.m. -5 p.m.)

primal23
07-25-2016, 01:15 PM
Another camp starts today-- but it looks like it is for a younger group and it ends earlier in the day.

Fundamental Skills Day Camp July 25 - 27, 2016

Boys & Girls, entering grades 1 - 7 Fall 2016

Two sessions available:
Morning Session (9 a.m. - noon)
recommended for grades 1 and 2
OR
All day session (9 a.m. -5 p.m.)

My daughter is at that camp, got some good pics of the kids and players.

Joe
07-25-2016, 01:18 PM
My daughter is at that camp, got some good pics of the kids and players.

My son was in the fundamental camp for three years. Just did the advanced camp this year. There are no scrimmages after camp. Fun camp though.