PDA

View Full Version : Predraft Info

23dpg
06-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Here's a very good breakdown of almost every college player who has a chance to be drafted.

http://www.campusrush.com/2016-nba-draft-scouting-reports-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-1872857167.html

Domantas Sabonis, 6'10" sophomore forward, Gonzaga: "Highly skilled, fundamentally sound, high basketball IQ. He's going to be really good in screen and rolls. Not the most athletic guy, probably not really an above-the-rim player in an above-the-rim league. Been playing against pros since he was 16. Everything is in that left hand. Hasn't shown yet that he can consistently make a 15-foot jump shot. If he learns that he'll be a borderline starter for a long time. He's an old-school dude. He can really pass. Put him on the floor with four other good players and those guys will love him. He'll be a solid backup. His weakness is his inability to finish inside because of his lack of bounce and length."

Kyle Wiltjer, 6'10" senior forward, Gonzaga: "He was really good in Chicago, and he has had really good workouts. I don't know how he can make it because he's one of the worst athletes I've ever seen. He can't guard anything, but the guy can shoot. Everybody thought Dellavedova was slow, too. He could be a good pick-and-pop five if somebody is willing to be creative with him. He's an awful rebounder and awful defender, but he can really shoot. That's going to buy him a couple of chances. He's got Europe written all over him."

Coach Crazy
06-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Here's a very good breakdown of almost every college player who has a chance to be drafted.

http://www.campusrush.com/2016-nba-draft-scouting-reports-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-1872857167.html

Domantas Sabonis, 6'10" sophomore forward, Gonzaga: "Highly skilled, fundamentally sound, high basketball IQ. He's going to be really good in screen and rolls. Not the most athletic guy, probably not really an above-the-rim player in an above-the-rim league. Been playing against pros since he was 16. Everything is in that left hand. Hasn't shown yet that he can consistently make a 15-foot jump shot. If he learns that he'll be a borderline starter for a long time. He's an old-school dude. He can really pass. Put him on the floor with four other good players and those guys will love him. He'll be a solid backup. His weakness is his inability to finish inside because of his lack of bounce and length."

Kyle Wiltjer, 6'10" senior forward, Gonzaga: "He was really good in Chicago, and he has had really good workouts. I don't know how he can make it because he's one of the worst athletes I've ever seen. He can't guard anything, but the guy can shoot. Everybody thought Dellavedova was slow, too. He could be a good pick-and-pop five if somebody is willing to be creative with him. He's an awful rebounder and awful defender, but he can really shoot. That's going to buy him a couple of chances. He's got Europe written all over him."

Hyperbole. If you actually think this, as a scout, you are not adept at your profession.

basketballzag
06-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Hyperbole. If you actually think this, as a scout, you are not adept at your profession.

100% correct. Strange there was no mention at all about an inexperienced backcourt which created a 3 or 1 or 4 on 2 atmosphere last season. It wasn't until EMac came of age on the court that the pressure on Wiltjer and Sabonis subsided. Neither will have that level of defensive or offensive focus on them in the NBA because everyone is excellent.

Coach Crazy
06-21-2016, 03:56 PM
100% correct. Strange there was no mention at all about an inexperienced backcourt which created a 3 or 1 or 4 on 2 atmosphere last season. It wasn't until EMac came of age on the court that the pressure on Wiltjer and Sabonis subsided. Neither will have that level of defensive or offensive focus on them in the NBA because everyone is excellent.

And he wasn't a forward that was incapable of guarding in the post. Even in a system like Gonzaga's you don't get a 98.8 DRtg with that many minutes played, if you are the worst defender ever. You won't be able to hedge guards up top a ton, and there is no way you want him stepping out into an isolated situation, but he'll be able to guard the post in a league that is not as focus on size and brute force, as it once was.

webspinnre
06-21-2016, 05:02 PM
And he wasn't a forward that was incapable of guarding in the post. Even in a system like Gonzaga's you don't get a 98.8 DRtg with that many minutes played, if you are the worst defender ever. You won't be able to hedge guards up top a ton, and there is no way you want him stepping out into an isolated situation, but he'll be able to guard the post in a league that is not as focus on size and brute force, as it once was.

Exactly, I'm totally comfortable calling him a below average defender, but this worst ever athlete stuff is total nonsense. I'd like to see some of these guys tell this to his face, and then play him 1-on-1.

GrizZAG
06-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Guess author missed the Utah Zag game. His favored big guy got his lunch eaten by Sabonis.

Coach Crazy
06-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Guess author missed the Utah Zag game. His favored big guy got his lunch eaten by Sabonis.

There are going to be some that equate it "Jakob just had a bad game". This is the error in judgment. It wasn't just Jakob having a bad game because he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or didn't eat his Wheaties. He went at Sabonis, and Sabonis shut him down. Then, Sabonis went at Poeltl and crushed him. The NCAA tournament was an example of what Sabonis could be in the NBA, as opposed to his perceived short-comings.

Bogozags
06-22-2016, 08:59 AM
There are going to be some that equate it "Jakob just had a bad game". This is the error in judgment. It wasn't just Jakob having a bad game because he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or didn't eat his Wheaties. He went at Sabonis, and Sabonis shut him down. Then, Sabonis went at Poeltl and crushed him. The NCAA tournament was an example of what Sabonis could be in the NBA, as opposed to his perceived short-comings.

Agree!

Jstock12
06-22-2016, 08:59 AM
This is so infuriating. Wiltjer might be a below average athlete by NBA standards, but even that is still 100x the athlete an ordinary person is. It just seems so disrespectful to call a hard working athlete 'worst ever' if you're just a scout/reporter and don't play the game professionally. This applies to Sabonis too. So many 'scouts' call him a terrible athlete as well. I might need to buy a punching bag.

Zag365
06-22-2016, 02:32 PM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nba-gets-a-visit-from-the-goon-squad-1466545856

Coach Crazy
06-22-2016, 02:36 PM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nba-gets-a-visit-from-the-goon-squad-1466545856

This kid is one of those big examples of athleticism without a certain level of refinement and focus. Kids like this need college, from a development perspective. Financially, he's striking while the iron is hot. He could get better, but hard for a kid to look that much cash in the face, and then walk away.

zagamatic
06-22-2016, 07:11 PM
I can't help but wonder how many of these "experts" would also pass on Stockton because he wasn't a jump out of the gym athlete?

LongIslandZagFan
06-23-2016, 06:41 AM
First time in a while that I am excited to watch the draft... probably since Kelly.

Zagdawg
06-23-2016, 07:24 AM
I agree -- I am excited for our guys.

Zagceo
06-23-2016, 07:30 AM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/standard_v1/0d3905d9-1167-4f89-8571-e9f8bdd6c96d.jpg

Zagdawg
06-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Good video on Sabonis -- about 7 down from the top.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/nbadraft?f=videos&vertical=default&src=hash&lang=en

Jstock12
06-23-2016, 08:15 AM
Good video on Sabonis -- about 7 down from the top.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/nbadraft?f=videos&vertical=default&src=hash&lang=en

What a great video!

https://twitter.com/NBADraft/status/745992681256419328?lang=en