PDA

View Full Version : Update - Jordan Morgan

spudzag
10-09-2007, 08:38 AM
A Scout update;

Jordan Morgan has been both entertaining programs and making unofficial visits in the last month including; Michigan, Purdue, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Iowa, Temple, Central Michigan, Xavier and Oakland.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=688688&nid=2668132&fhn=1

I know Scout is not be up-to-speed on GU anymore, but GU is conspicuously absent from JM's list.

LynetteG
10-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Spud,

Notice that all of those schools are close in proximity to Detroit, so its easy for J and mom to drive to (and cheaper, too). Once he can take official visits on a school's dime, he'll be taking visits much farther away from home. These visits are basically quick, short visits to places he can get to during the school year, without missing school. All of those schools have come to individual workouts, and he has yet to visit all of their campuses. He will be visiting ND and Purdue over the same weekend at the end of the month, so 2 schools during one drive down. He has at least three more scholly offers pending -- we are told they are forthcoming. He does plan to take away official visits and will not commit before then.

Btw, scout's list is WAY out of date as far as schools. Rivals is more current and lists schools interested in him and schools he's interested in (which is why it is so long).

dim4sum
10-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Lynette, how are your nephew's grades?
Also, I know you can't speak for him, but is Gonzaga on his radar screen at all. Seems he has already worked out with the guys.

MDABE80
10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
This young fella should narrow his focus to 5 D1 schools of his chosing and then pick the best offer. All this travel and snooping around is a distraction I bet. His grades are spectacular. He should get whatever he asks for in terms of a school. I don't think it'll be GU for lots of reasons. I think Lynette said that he's pretty glued to the area his primary family lives in ie the Midwest.

He'll do a good job for somebody. Sounds like a great kid with winning ways in all categories.

lothar98zag
10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Ignoring GU, Lothar would suggest Stanford*. If he's as smart as it sounds like he is, he could RS his 1st yr, play 4 yrs, and get a masters degree before deciding between the NBA or med school... http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

*not because Lothar is a fan of The Farm, but because it's one of the top combos of high level hoops & top notch school (at least according to the experts)

former1dog
10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Ignoring GU, Lothar would suggest Stanford*. If he's as smart as it sounds like he is, he could RS his 1st yr, play 4 yrs, and get a masters degree before deciding between the NBA or med school... http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

*not because Lothar is a fan of The Farm, but because it's one of the top combos of high level hoops & top notch school (at least according to the experts)

Although I hope we're both wrong, I also thing Jordan's got Stanford written all over him. Top, top student and a great basketball player, just seems like a great fit for young Mr. Morgan.

All the same, I hope Gonzaga gets him anyway. :D, just because I know how much fun that would be for Lynette.

jazzdelmar
10-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Northwestern aint a bad choice either. if he wnts to be nearer home.......Unbelievable school......

former1dog
10-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Northwestern aint a bad choice either. if he wnts to be nearer home.......Unbelievable school......

Agreed.

How are their hoops, though?

lothar98zag
10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Agreed.

How are their hoops, though?
um...?...they're in the big 10...&, um...

jazzdelmar
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
........whats wrong w Northwestern?

Rubbadub
10-09-2007, 03:08 PM
What's wrong with Northwestern? well...it depends on whether he wants a future in basketball or doing something else. :)

jazzdelmar
10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
ur saying he cant get to the league from NW of the Big Ten???? For sure he will play a lot faster than at most of the others...and whats wrong w a Kellogg degree or a Medill degree?

ZagNative
10-09-2007, 03:17 PM
ur saying he cant get to the league from NW of the Big Ten???? For sure he will play a lot faster than at most of the others...and whats wrong w a Kellogg degree or a Medill degree?
Well, hopefully, at Northwestern, the young man stands a good chance of learning to communicate in complete, properly punctuated sentences ...

former1dog
10-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, hopefully, at Northwestern, the young man stands a good chance of learning to communicate in complete, properly punctuated sentences ...

Cold, ZN, very, very cold.

Back on topic.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Northwestern, I'm assuming that Jordan would prefer to go to a great academic institution that also has a good, if not great, basketball tradition. Who knows though.

Not worth getting our hackles up over it, I know that.

Rubbadub
10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I did a little research and found out Stephen Colbert is an alumni...needless to say, I withdraw anything I said earlier in this thread that in any way, shape or form could be construed as negative.

LynetteG
10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Dimsum, 3.92 in honors classes, wants to be a physicist.

Abe, I never ever said he was glued to the midwest, far from it. My sis would rather he stay close to home but he has told me he is open to any school, regardless of location.

Lothar, Stanford very much in the mix currently.

All, a great school with a great basketball program is what he is looking for. Nothing ruled out or in at this point. As far as I am aware, GU is still recruiting him.

ZagNut08
10-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Rub, you mean famed author of "I am America, and so can you"

Rubbadub
10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Rub, you mean famed author of "I am America, and so can you"

If only we could all be.

23dpg
10-09-2007, 08:00 PM
A quick check of the NBA rosters indicates that there are currently zero players from Northwestern in the NBA.

And yes, Steven Colbert is America!

Unbiased
10-09-2007, 08:01 PM
I might as well pipe in here. As much as I would love to see Jordan come west to Spokane, he has one of the very best public institutions in the country in his own backyard. If Jordan doesn't go to Gonzaga, I hope he attends Michigan.

Michigan is ranked as the second highest rated public college in the US. It has the third ranked business school, (public or private) and its graduate programs in Law and Medicine are world renowned. It has been recently rated as having the best program in the nation in Applied Mathematics.

kylasdad
10-09-2007, 08:23 PM
How is GU's physics department? I can't imagine it is near the level of say...Stanford.

UberZagFan
10-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Conspicously absent from this thread is comments from regular posters knowledgeable about recruting. Uber's just saying.

Additionally, Uber must agree with "unbiased": Michigan would be a great balance between hoops and qualitiy education---but so would Stanford if he was so inclided to travel West.

tyra
10-09-2007, 08:42 PM
With Jordan's intellectual chops and his professional aspirations (physics), this is a no brainer. Besides, that way we would see him play more often in all likelihood. If we cannot have him, The Cardinal is a great place to start his career. But I am still holding out hope.

applezag
10-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm kind of surprised as I read this stuff. Sure, it'd be great for Morgan if he went to a number of the mentioned colleges, but why aren't we excited for him to be a Zag? He sounds like EXACTLY what we want in a Zag and I would think Gonzaga would be a good fit for him.

So he wants to be a physicist. As far as I know about phsyicists (admittedly, not a whole lot), most of them have advanced degrees. Why not go to GU, be part of a top hoops program, get an outstanding Jesuit education, have the best time of your life, then go put your nose to the grindstone at some top-notch physics program for grad school? Have you ever heard of a kid of this caliber regretting his time at GU?

pbriz
10-09-2007, 08:55 PM
How is GU's physics department? I can't imagine it is near the level of say...Stanford.

In terms of physics I can't say but its probably very good since engineering is in the top 20 and those two rely on eachother so heavily.

Rangerzag
10-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Although I hope we're both wrong, I also thing Jordan's got Stanford written all over him. Top, top student and a great basketball player, just seems like a great fit for young Mr. Morgan.

All the same, I hope Gonzaga gets him anyway. :D, just because I know how much fun that would be for Lynette.

At first blush, he seems like a shoe in as a Stanford fit.

Then I remember all the times it has been reported that a Stanford grad can't go xxxxxx minutes before making sure you understand that they are indeed a Stanford grad and considering the comments about Jordan being such a polite and unassuming lad leaves me thinking maybe it wouldn't be such a "perfect" fit. ;) ;)