PDA

View Full Version : Few on committee to examine NCAA tournament selections

Section 116
06-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Coach Few, among many others has been named to a committee to examine NCAA tournament selections, seeding and bracketing.

Link: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16174594/college-basketball-coaches-examine-ncaa-tournament-selection-system

jazzdelmar
06-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Coach Few, among many others has been named to a committee to examine NCAA tournament selections, seeding and bracketing.

Link: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16174594/college-basketball-coaches-examine-ncaa-tournament-selection-system

Whether well intended or just a junket, it's a waste of time. CBS calls the shots, all the important ones. Les Moonves isn't on the committee for good reason. Three billion dollars a year buys you an invisible seat at the table. Some familiar names, mostly members in good standing of the CBB cabal.

Zaggin' it
06-14-2016, 02:31 AM
Whether well intended or just a junket, it's a waste of time. CBS calls the shots, all the important ones. Les Moonves isn't on the committee for good reason. Three billion dollars a year buys you an invisible seat at the table. Some familiar names, mostly members in good standing of the CBB cabal.

If it provides any added insights or an advisory role for Coach Few on how to structure a schedule for at-large inclusion or improved seeding, how is that a waste of time? He'll either have an opportunity to influence how the system works, or get a front row seat to people pulling the levers...not a waste by any stretch.

jazzdelmar
06-14-2016, 03:27 AM
If it provides any added insights or an advisory role for Coach Few on how to structure a schedule for at-large inclusion or improved seeding, how is that a waste of time? He'll either have an opportunity to influence how the system works, or get a front row seat to people pulling the levers...not a waste by any stretch.

I suspect that MF is 99% well informed about the vagaries of the NCAA tourney. I'm saying don't hold out any hope for substantive changes such as a better break for non BCS teams and true randomness when it comes to brackets and matchups.

kitzbuel
06-14-2016, 03:34 AM
I suspect that MF is 99% well informed about the vagaries of the NCAA tourney. I'm saying don't hold out any hope for substantive changes such as a better break for non BCS teams and true randomness when it comes to brackets and matchups.

I'm with Zaggin it on this. Anything Few can do that gets him more deeply embedded in 'the club' helps GU's seeding and access to the tournament.

Coach Crazy
06-14-2016, 07:00 AM
I'm with Zaggin it on this. Anything Few can do that gets him more deeply embedded in 'the club' helps GU's seeding and access to the tournament.

Yep.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
06-14-2016, 07:07 AM

Jazz, you bring up a really interesting point. You think true randomness would be better? Like, the committee seeds the teams and then throws them all into a random bracket generator. No rules about conference matchups, etc. I could get behind that...but I don't think many others would.

LongIslandZagFan
06-14-2016, 08:11 AM

I'm a cynical guy... but I am not THIS cynical.

JMHO... this isn't a waste of his time... not by a long shot.

bartruff1
06-14-2016, 08:26 AM
Fool's errand ..they have no leverage, no cards to play........can't imagine why Few got involved...

willandi
06-14-2016, 09:41 AM
Fool's errand ..they have no leverage, no cards to play........can't imagine why Few got involved...

I agree! Should have sent Jazz as a replacement!

jazzdelmar
06-14-2016, 09:59 AM
Jazz, you bring up a really interesting point. You think true randomness would be better? Like, the committee seeds the teams and then throws them all into a random bracket generator. No rules about conference matchups, etc. I could get behind that...but I don't think many others would.

Not that anarchical. Just saying let the chips fall more. It's clear most blue bloods get protected paths to the round of 16 and even beyond. If anyone here thinks the process is remotely meritocratic, I've for a Draymond Green suspension to sell you. TV! TV! TV!

jazzdelmar
06-14-2016, 10:00 AM
I agree! Should have sent Jazz as a replacement!

No way. Surfs up.

jazzdelmar
06-14-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm a cynical guy... but I am not THIS cynical.

JMHO... this isn't a waste of his time... not by a long shot.

So you believe the Knicks got Ewing randomly?

jazzdelmar
06-14-2016, 10:05 AM

He's as far up that tract as he could ever hope to get.

jazzdelmar
06-14-2016, 10:05 AM

Bart-a-la, great minds, etc.

kitzbuel
06-14-2016, 10:06 AM
He's as far up that tract as he could ever hope to get.

I don't think he believes that or he would not have participated.

jazzdelmar
06-14-2016, 10:09 AM
I don't think he believes that or he would not have participated.

There are many other reasons for him to participate in such a junket. I'm sure he has the system figured out by now. Personal reasons are perfectly understandable. Just don't expect higher than you might expect seeds for GU or more comfortable brackets and venues. Ain't gonna happen.

bartruff1
06-14-2016, 10:27 AM
I don't see how Mark's participation could have any possible effect on Gonzaga's future seeding or location..... winning solves all the problems ...real or imaginary problems.

I suspect the committee will get a hearing and a polite thank you very much.....and that is about it..

MDABE80
06-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Mark's got a busy schedule. If there was nothing for him there, why go? He's got something in mind.. We'll see though. Sometimes it's like playing golf, you do it for the social stuff and to renew or forge new friendships.

jazzdelmar
06-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Mark's got a busy schedule. If there was nothing for him there, why go? He's got something in mind.. We'll see though. Sometimes it's like playing golf, you do it for the social stuff and to renew or forge new friendships.

Sure there's some prestige being in a room with blowhards like Crookapari and Huggy, duly stipulated. All I'm saying is don't expect most favored nation treatment from the cabal committee. And I'm sure MF knows that.

MDABE80
06-14-2016, 01:56 PM
"Know your enemy"....

maynard g krebs
06-14-2016, 02:39 PM
Agree w/ every word Jazz wrote re: who pulls the strings. But Few being on the committee is a little plus for the GU brand.

gonzagafan62
06-14-2016, 04:38 PM
"We are going to shock the world today, just like Namath in 69"

kitzbuel
06-14-2016, 09:45 PM
There are many other reasons for him to participate in such a junket. I'm sure he has the system figured out by now. Personal reasons are perfectly understandable. Just don't expect higher than you might expect seeds for GU or more comfortable brackets and venues. Ain't gonna happen.

Well, I think the political part still is important. It fits with his overall agenda of continually improving Gonzaga's standing with the college bball nomenklatura. In fact , I'm in favor of him joining that nomenklatura; stay involved with USA basketball, coaches committees, golf tournaments, etc.

Coach Crazy
06-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Well, I think the political part still is important. It fits with his overall agenda of continually improving Gonzaga's standing with the college bball nomenklatura. In fact , I'm in favor of him joining that nomenklatura; stay involved with USA basketball, coaches committees, golf tournaments, etc.

Agreed.

rennis
06-15-2016, 11:48 AM
He wants to know why GU was awarded an 11 seed and had to play 10 seed Syracuse in the S16.

RIGGED!!

bballbeachbum
06-19-2016, 09:10 AM
with jazz on this one for sure. still good reasons to go hang with the others and talk about it all though as others have mentioned. Calipari was as pissed as any coach I've seen about the selection process last year, yelling and screaming for all to hear about how some teams always seem to be rewarded while others always seem to be challenged by the committee directions (where have we heard that before over the many years???).

DixieZag
06-19-2016, 11:42 AM

Yes.

Perception shapes reality. He's earned a spot at the table, and the table matters, just maybe not for the actual subject of the meetings, b/c that I do think is ultimately dictated by CBS.

Anyone doubting CBS's influence, need only look: Indiana v. Kentucky, Texas v. Texas A&M, and the seeding "wonder" that allowed it to happen. (Second round, 2016).

MDABE80
06-19-2016, 12:00 PM
As we've seen overthe years, politics matters in many decisions. Better to show up and be "part of" than be a no show and have nobody thinking about your team. WHile Few's attendance may not yeild fruit right away, those decsion makers about CBB now and in the future probably would like doing business with friends than doing business with someone they don't know......or someone that they may percieve as giving "short shrift" to the process.
I think it's a good diea to show up and make or renew friendships.
I know this from personal experience it's better to be in the "club" than be NOT in the club.